Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 19, 2024, 03:24:52 pm

Sigh.

Started by Randohoggie, January 06, 2018, 09:25:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Randohoggie

No. 5 Xavier lost on the road to an unranked team today.  So did No. 2 Duke.  Texas A&M was ranked top 5.  They are now 0-3 in the SEC.  Tennessee was ranked in the top 20.  They are now 0-2 in the SEC.  We lost a couple of games on the road in a league that expects 7-8 NCAA bids.

It happens.  Get a grip, for crying out loud.

We probably should have gone 1-1, but we didn't.  Last year we lost back to back home games against Vanderbilt and Missouri.  We still were a Sweet 16 quality team by the end of the year.

Can the majority of you simply not see past the end of your nose?

Oliver

We should have gone 1-1 this week.  No excuses.  There's time to make up for the fact that we didn't.  But speaking of not being able to see past your own nose, what's convinced you that we can do this?

Cambridge Hog

Yep.

Just got back from dinner and was looking at all the top 25 teams that lost to us ranked teams. Definitely a lot of parity this year. Makes for a great season unless you are a chicken little fan and think the sky is falling after every loss.

Ghg

Letsroll1200

NC State lost by 30 points to Norte Dame. They just beat Duke at home. It's college basketball.

Randohoggie

Quote from: Oliver on January 06, 2018, 09:28:54 pm
We should have gone 1-1 this week.  No excuses.  There's time to make up for the fact that we didn't.  But speaking of not being able to see past your own nose, what's convinced you that we can do this?

The fact that the vast majority of the year we have played really well.  We have senior guards.  We have some good wins.  We have a high RPI.  We have a developing star in the middle.

People simply can't handle their "grief" over any given loss and just go over the top with the doom.  It's a tough league this year.  Road losses are going to happen.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Randohoggie on January 06, 2018, 09:25:47 pm
No. 5 Xavier lost on the road to an unranked team today.  So did No. 2 Duke.  Texas A&M was ranked top 5.  They are now 0-3 in the SEC.  Tennessee was ranked in the top 20.  They are now 0-2 in the SEC.  We lost a couple of games on the road in a league that expects 7-8 NCAA bids.

It happens.  Get a grip, for crying out loud.

We probably should have gone 1-1, but we didn't.  Last year we lost back to back home games against Vanderbilt and Missouri.  We still were a Sweet 16 quality team by the end of the year.

Can the majority of you simply not see past the end of your nose?

How did that Sweet 16 quality team end up?  Remind me.

Randohoggie

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 06, 2018, 09:32:17 pm

We lost in the final minute to the eventual national champion, that close to the Sweet 16.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 06, 2018, 09:32:17 pm
losing to the National Champion in a way that had every SEC analyst talking about the refs, even Big College Basketball analysts were talking about how we got cheated lol, we were the only team that gave UNC competition in the tourney
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

3kgthog

Quote from: Randohoggie on January 06, 2018, 09:33:53 pm

We lost in the final minute to the eventual national champion, that close to the Sweet 16.

And getting close gets this program what? How close were we to beating nearly the same team in the PK80?

Knot2brite

I think, for me, I have seen the same thing for so long that I am not surprised by what they do at the beginning of the conference season. Pre season we are all Americans and the start of conference we are clueless. My major complaint is that this is one of the more experienced teams we have had in years and one of the most talented teams and yet we still see the same technique and fundamental problems we have seen the last several years. We all know that we are going to win at home, with the exception of one oddball game, and we will win a few on the road, including one we shouldn't. The problem is that the end result is the same....one and done or two and Q in the tourney. We have to change our fortune...
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Randohoggie on January 06, 2018, 09:31:58 pm
The fact that the vast majority of the year we have played really well.  We have senior guards.  We have some good wins.  We have a high RPI.  We have a developing star in the middle.

People simply can't handle their "grief" over any given loss and just go over the top with the doom.  It's a tough league this year.  Road losses are going to happen.

It's not a single loss that's bothering people.  It's that it looks like what we have seen over and over and over again.  At some point a team with what - 6 or 7 seniors - needs to show they have been around the block a few times before.

Randohoggie

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 06, 2018, 09:36:57 pm
And getting close gets this program what? How close were we to beating nearly the same team in the PK80?

Gets them nothing.  But should give a reasonable person the knowledge that a 2 game slump doesn't mean a team is bad.

Randohoggie

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 06, 2018, 09:40:24 pm
It's not a single loss that's bothering people.  It's that it looks like what we have seen over and over and over again.  At some point a team with what - 6 or 7 seniors - needs to show they have been around the block a few times before.

And they have a whole season to do it.  They showed it against OK.  They showed it beating the living hell out of UConn after the tough loss to UNC.  They showed it coming back against Tennessee.

Some people only see what they want to see, though.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Randohoggie on January 06, 2018, 09:33:53 pm

T-shirts?  Participation ribbons?

Randohoggie

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 06, 2018, 09:39:18 pm
I think, for me, I have seen the same thing for so long that I am not surprised by what they do at the beginning of the conference season. Pre season we are all Americans and the start of conference we are clueless. My major complaint is that this is one of the more experienced teams we have had in years and one of the most talented teams and yet we still see the same technique and fundamental problems we have seen the last several years. We all know that we are going to win at home, with the exception of one oddball game, and we will win a few on the road, including one we shouldn't. The problem is that the end result is the same....one and done or two and Q in the tourney. We have to change our fortune...

Season isn't over, is it?

Randohoggie

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 06, 2018, 09:42:33 pm
T-shirts?  Participation ribbons?

See above.  Learn from what you see, rather than just being a jackass.

Oliver

Quote from: Randohoggie on January 06, 2018, 09:31:58 pm

I mentioned in another thread...the one thing we've done this year that was above what I've thought we'd do is beat OU.  I think OU would do what Auburn did to us tonight if we played them again this year.  Other than that game, what have we done that you didn't think we'd do this year?  We beat a terrible UConn team.  We held serve against atennessee and Minnesota at home.  What has you convinced we'll be anything other than an 8 seed?

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Randohoggie on January 06, 2018, 09:41:55 pm

Some people only see what they want to see, though.

Yes they do.

Randohoggie

Quote from: Oliver on January 06, 2018, 09:43:40 pm
I mentioned in another thread...the one thing we've done this year that was above what I've thought we'd do is beat OU.  I think OU would do what Auburn did to us tonight if we played them again this year.  Other than that game, what have we done that you didn't think we'd do this year?  We beat a terrible UConn team.  We held serve against atennessee and Minnesota at home.  What has you convinced we'll be anything other than an 8 seed?

I don't know where we end up.  I'm just not stupid enough to write them off because of a two game road trip.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Randohoggie on January 06, 2018, 09:42:56 pm
See above.  Learn from what you see, rather than just being a jackass.

Same back at you.

Randohoggie

Knot2brite

Quote from: Randohoggie on January 06, 2018, 09:42:40 pm
Season isn't over, is it?

No....but they still rotate badly on pressure and don't play the fence on backside defense they don't block out for rebounds, and they are horrible for long stretches at movement without the ball and make really sloppy  cuts in the "motion" offense....been doing that for the last 6.5 years as well ...so I am figuring that I am right about why I said they will end up doing but hopeful that they won't

Randohoggie

Kentucky presently getting rolled up by Tennessee at Tennessee.  I am sure their season is over too.

Randohoggie

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 06, 2018, 09:46:23 pm
No....but they still rotate badly on pressure and don't play the fence on backside defense they don't block out for rebounds, and they are horrible for long stretches at movement without the ball and make really sloppy  cuts in the "motion" offense....been doing that for the last 6.5 years as well ...so I am figuring that I am right about why I said they will end up doing but hopeful that they won't

You don't seem that hopeful.  Also, if you followed another team, with very few exceptions, you would be saying the same things about them.  There aren't perfect college teams.  Nothing even close to it anymore.

Knot2brite

Quote from: Randohoggie on January 06, 2018, 09:48:39 pm
You don't seem that hopeful.  Also, if you followed another team, with very few exceptions, you would be saying the same things about them.  There aren't perfect college teams.  Nothing even close to it anymore.
I am that hopeful ....I am also a realist and know that what I see looks like what I have seen before....and I follow several teams. While I am very well aware that there are no perfect teams...I also know that problems in year one should not be showing up in year seven and should not have stayed in place for all the years in between

Randohoggie

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 06, 2018, 09:52:07 pm
I am that hopeful ....I am also a realist and know that what I see looks like what I have seen before....and I follow several teams. While I am very well aware that there are no perfect teams...I also know that problems in year one should not be showing up in year seven and should not have stayed in place for all the years in between

Then you aren't paying attention, because the same problems you talk about will show up over and over and over and over for teams when they lose, regardless of who they are.

Knot2brite

Quote from: Randohoggie on January 06, 2018, 09:53:35 pm
Then you aren't paying attention, because the same problems you talk about will show up over and over and over and over for teams when they lose, regardless of who they are.
Hahah ok...keep telling yourself that...they don't with the teams I watch and follow but you have blinders on because you are either a coach fan or a player fan ...that's ok...be what you are...but don't get pouty when people know what they see and know the difference...I assume you are a young fan and are a fan that doesn't see the forest for the trees and that is cool...I used to be that way but the last 18-20 years of really darn basketball has jaded me and I don't even have the fire to properly bitch about it...now I just repeat the same things I have seen for the last 6.5 years and will continue to do it because I KNOW it wont change with this coaching staff ...but it should

Randohoggie

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 06, 2018, 09:59:10 pm
Hahah ok...keep telling yourself that...they don't with the teams I watch and follow but you have blinders on because you are either a coach fan or a player fan ...that's ok...be what you are...but don't get pouty when people know what they see and know the difference...I assume you are a young fan and are a fan that doesn't see the forest for the trees and that is cool...I used to be that way but the last 18-20 years of really darn basketball has jaded me and I don't even have the fire to properly bitch about it...now I just repeat the same things I have seen for the last 6.5 years and will continue to do it because I KNOW it wont change with this coaching staff ...but it should

You are wrong about me and everything else you said.

Knot2brite

Quote from: Randohoggie on January 06, 2018, 10:02:33 pm
You are wrong about me and everything else you said.
Okie dokie...well then obviously you have a agenda and I don't want to get in the way of that sooooooo.....I am going over there and just be right out of your sight

Randohoggie

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 06, 2018, 10:06:28 pm
Okie dokie...well then obviously you have a agenda and I don't want to get in the way of that sooooooo.....I am going over there and just be right out of your sight

No agenda other than to attempt to get people to realize when they are overreacting.  And I have seen your posts over the years here and elsewhere.  I ain't new.  I am just quiet here.

Knot2brite

Quote from: Randohoggie on January 06, 2018, 10:07:32 pm
No agenda other than to attempt to get people to realize when they are overreacting.  And I have seen your posts over the years here and elsewhere.  I ain't new.  I am just quiet here.
Ok....so I was going to leave the special person ,that is you ,alone until I read the word over reacting...so how am I over reacting to something that I have seen for year after year after damn year? I know what I am looking at and I know the difference between what I see and what I should see...I also know what I have watched Arkansas basketball become through the last three coaches and I am ...at best...apathetic

Wild Bill Hog

Date Registered: September 16, 2017, 03:01:55 pm

Randohoggie

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 06, 2018, 10:13:37 pm
Date Registered: September 16, 2017, 03:01:55 pm

Hard to believe, but they let you read as a guest.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Randohoggie on January 06, 2018, 10:14:06 pm
Hard to believe, but they let you read as a guest.

LOL  Sure you did.   ::)

BigoBoys

Your qualifications are? 

Randohoggie

Randohoggie

Quote from: BigoBoys on January 06, 2018, 10:17:15 pm
Your qualifications are?

No more than the average fan who played basketball for many, many years ... oh, but I have some common sense.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Randohoggie on January 06, 2018, 10:17:28 pm
You have no idea.

Once again, back at you.  You do make this easy.

Randohoggie

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 06, 2018, 10:18:37 pm
Once again, back at you.  You do make this easy.

You don't make any sense, but keep on truckin', man.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Randohoggie on January 06, 2018, 10:19:24 pm
You don't make any sense, but keep on truckin', man.

Back at you yet again.  This is getting boring.

Randohoggie

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 06, 2018, 10:22:12 pm
Back at you yet again.  This is getting boring.

Story of your life, Corky.  You haven't added much to this conversation since I shot down your two very sad attempts at making a point in this thread.

BigoBoys

Quote from: Randohoggie on January 06, 2018, 10:18:15 pm
No more than the average fan who played basketball for many, many years ... oh, but I have some common sense.
What level did you play? 

porkinsons disease

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 06, 2018, 09:39:18 pm
Agree with everything , except we miss the tourney more often than not.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Randohoggie

Quote from: BigoBoys on January 06, 2018, 10:26:37 pm
What level did you play?

Declined chance to play D1 in order to pursue better academics.

Knot2brite

Quote from: porkinsons disease on January 06, 2018, 10:28:41 pm
Agree with everything , except we miss the tourney more often than not.
Agreed that we missed it way too much...I think it was just my attempt to be positive and not over reacting...but according to some...I failed miserably

Randohoggie

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 06, 2018, 10:31:12 pm
Agreed that we missed it way too much...I think it was just my attempt to be positive and not over reacting...but according to some...I failed miserably

Touche.

Knot2brite

Quote from: Randohoggie on January 06, 2018, 10:29:47 pm
Declined chance to play D1 in order to pursue better academics.
While that is certainly admirable ...I would be remiss if I didn't ask if you played at a lower level in order to attain better academics and if not I am assuming that you received lofty academic scholarships that ensured your ability to attain such said academic endevours

Oliver

Quote from: Randohoggie on January 06, 2018, 09:44:58 pm
I don't know where we end up.  I'm just not stupid enough to write them off because of a two game road trip.

I'm only writing them off as anything better than an 8 seed or better in the NCAAT.  If you think they will be better than that, then you are the stupid one

Randohoggie

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 06, 2018, 10:37:29 pm
While that is certainly admirable ...I would be remiss if I didn't ask if you played at a lower level in order to attain better academics and if not I am assuming that you received lofty academic scholarships that ensured your ability to attain such said academic endevours

I chose a different sport, but I'm not going to go any further into it than that.  Other than to say that the vast majority of my scholarships were academic.