Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are you satisfied or surprised at our recruiting thus far?

Started by HeyHogs, January 02, 2018, 07:49:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

jgphillips3

How can you be unhappy at this point?  Under CBB, we believed we would have 12 slots available.  Currently, we have 8 signed and 2 commits.  We are currently at 86 scholarships so to get many more commits, someone has to leave.  If we had a class twice the size with the same percentage of four star and three star, we would be top 25 just like we have been for years.  Can we do better?  Sure.  However, we are pretty much where we have always been or slightly ahead so I can't see how one could be dissatisfied at this point.

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Oklahawg

Need to see the full body of work. Some oddities, and some clear strong moments.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Pudgepork

I'm loving the fact that it appears this staff isn't worried to go against elite programs.  Gonna lose many battles but the ones you win make a difference

Porkerpower

Ben Steiger

Only concern is losing in-state players like Luke Jones and Sean Flanagan. Otherwise, to be expected. I'll give the staff at least one, probably two years of opportunity to work before the body of work will mass to allow a fair evolution.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

theFlyingHog

kennypig

I'm on standby.  Late start, not sure who's on the staff. I think in the end, as fans, we'll be pretty much satisfied. The early signing period this year did not help us. Next year, our recruiting is going to surprise a lot of people. Even if our team wins 6-7 games next year. CCM seems like a really hard of a worker and understands the importance of recruiting.  I'm anxious to see the spring game. Good times are ahead.

HeyHogs

Everyone ignores team ranking 85.  How does an SEC school sit at 85?  Answer me that.

hawgwash

Surprised that there seems to have been more pleasant surprises on defense rather than offense given Morris is an offense guy and we haven announced a single coach on that side of the ball.

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: HeyHogs on January 02, 2018, 10:33:22 pm
Everyone ignores team ranking 85.  How does an SEC school sit at 85?  Answer me that.
That is largely based on the total number of recruits signed. Like previously stated, we do not have enough scholarships to sign a full class. This was never going to be a high ranking class, even with CBB 

woopig

How in the hell are we in this mess and we only have 8ish spots.  If this was happening at ole piss we would think they were the laughing stock of the sec.  (even more)

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: woopig on January 02, 2018, 10:58:54 pm
How in the hell are we in this mess and we only have 8ish spots.  If this was happening at ole piss we would think they were the laughing stock of the sec.  (even more)

Not enough attrition due to graduations or transfer's.  That means the MAJORITY of our players are returning.  Believe it or not that's actually Fantastic news.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

woopig

Well maybe a better question is how are our attrition rates so much better than everyone else in the nation. I scrolled through recruiting rankings for the past 4 years and I don't believe anyone signed less than 17 in a class.

kp72204

Quote from: woopig on January 03, 2018, 12:30:33 am
Well maybe a better question is how are our attrition rates so much better than everyone else in the nation. I scrolled through recruiting rankings for the past 4 years and I don't believe anyone signed less than 17 in a class.
A lot of our players are getting degrees rather than leaving for NFL. Honestly happy for those guys.

Pudgepork

Take a look at Clemson.  They have very low attrition and usually can only sign 15-17.  Seems like their model is working pretty good. 

ricepig

Arkansas' recruiting class is ranked 81st nationally b/c they're getting charged with 10 zeros (a zero for every non-committed player under 20). If they had 10 more commits mirroring the 10 they have, they'd be tied for 20th nationally right now. Just explaining the formula #wps

https://twitter.com/TreyBiddy/status/943864860244312065

Deep Shoat

We ignore it because it doesn't mean anything.

The ranking is based on both the stars arbitrarily assigned to your commits AND the total number of commits.  We have 10.  That means we get charged with zeroes for 10 commits we don't have.  Add 10 more commits of similar quality to what we have, and we are around 20th.

edit: I see rice already explained this...

A big question for all you stargazers.  What do you imagine is better?  10 more quality 3-star recruits?  Or 10 players who have been in a college strength and conditioning program for a year +?
All Gas, No Brakes!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2018, 08:08:13 am
Arkansas' recruiting class is ranked 81st nationally b/c they're getting charged with 10 zeros (a zero for every non-committed player under 20). If they had 10 more commits mirroring the 10 they have, they'd be tied for 20th nationally right now. Just explaining the formula #wps

Holy crap!  There are some STUPID people in that tweetstorm...
All Gas, No Brakes!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HeyHogs on January 02, 2018, 07:49:07 pm
https://arkansas.rivals.com/commitments/football/2018

I think we are in serious trouble.
And of course with just under two weeks to work with since Morris' hiring AND operating with only about half the normal coaching contingent we should have signed our normal Alabama-like four and five star studded class. Sure.... :( :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Hawg Red

I am a little concerned, yes. But we've never been through an early signing period before, and we just so happen to be experiencing a coaching change during this first early signing period. But seeing the Hogs dead last in the SEC is a bit of a shock, not that we were ever in the top half of the league in recruiting. Still, last is tough. But to the earlier point, we just don't have many signees and that has the overall ranking so low. If the second signing period comes and goes and we're still hovering around the basement of the SEC and south of the top 60 nationally, I'll be concerned. But even then, I want to see if he can hit this 2019 class out of the park more than anything.

010HogFan

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2018, 08:08:13 am

The horses have been led to this pond over and over, but they refuse to drink.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Großer Kriegschwein

This one is even weirder than BBs first class for two reasons.

1) Early signing period
2) Lack of available class size

I expect some roster/class size to change in the next couple months. But that's just a hunch.
This is my non-signature signature.

The Hawg Marshal

I'm not overly concerned at this point. The man has to have some time to get things going the way he wants them to. I'll have patience for a while.

aloha_kid

Quote from: theFlyingHog on January 02, 2018, 09:42:58 pm
You don't have as many smites as posts, let me help fix that

I'll chip in to the smite fund as well, and it appears he is slowly catching up.  Perhaps we should setup a gosmiteme page for him. LOL

Vantage 8 dude

hawginbigd1

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on January 02, 2018, 10:43:26 pm
Our recruiting has sucked for several years. Why be worried now?
One of the most patently false posts maybe ever!

hawginbigd1

Small class due to low attrition, giving scholarships to walk-ons. Team ranking is going to be low, however losing 3 of the top 4 recruits from in- state is a problem and unheard of for us. Comparing to the 4 schools who hired coaches at the same time as us and how far they are outpacing us should be a concern to even the biggest koolaid drinkers but is not apparently! I would say I am less than enthused about the results so far.

IronHog

Quote from: Ben Steiger on January 02, 2018, 09:32:42 pm
Only concern is losing in-state players like Luke Jones and Sean Flanagan. Otherwise, to be expected. I'll give the staff at least one, probably two years of opportunity to work before the body of work will mass to allow a fair evolution.

Jones is a good looking lineman

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

jimhog

I am surprised that we are so far behind. I am not happy with the leadership void at the UofA.

jimhog

farmhawg

Quote from: jimhog on January 03, 2018, 05:54:23 pm
I am surprised that we are so far behind. I am not happy with the leadership void at the UofA.
Read more and try to keep up.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on January 03, 2018, 09:55:19 am
This one is even weirder than BBs first class for two reasons.

1) Early signing period
2) Lack of available class size

I expect some roster/class size to change in the next couple months. But that's just a hunch.

IDK how they are going to leave, but I am pretty certain they won't be forced out or even leaned on heavy. CCM told them they were going to graduate in his opening meeting. I'm sure he can deliver on that one more than the ol "Best DC in the country" stuff...
I would look for guys buried on the depth chart to blossom with this new coach. I think his real recruiting job starts the day after national signing day.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: jimhog on January 03, 2018, 05:54:23 pm

Quote from: jimhog on January 03, 2018, 06:02:24 pm
I am surprised and concerned.

I think it's time for The Bear to do some IP address purges... This has gotta be the same tard.
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

Dominicanhog

tbhogfan

4-8
No Bowl Game
Coach Fired
Other schools came after our recruits due to above
AD Fired
New coach hired less than two weeks before signing day
No DC named
No Defensive coaches named

Hope that helps.

Remember, recruiting is far from over for 2018.
Go Hogs!

rzrbackhogfan

I think for the situation we are in we are fine.  Got new coach who didn't have any time to do any real recruiting himself, delt with recruits from a coach we just fired.  yes hard to lose kids from AR to other schools, but who can blame Luke Jones from picking ND over AR right now. 

I think we need to be careful and stop judging a coach who has not really started.  I hate to say it but we are not going to be top rated recruiting at this point and at the start of the season we wont be in the top 25. 

farmhawg

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 04, 2018, 12:09:30 am
I think it's time for The Bear to do some IP address purges... This has gotta be the same tard.
A bunch of them right now.
From theflyinghog

HogBreath

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on January 02, 2018, 11:21:42 pm
Not enough attrition due to graduations or transfer's.  That means the MAJORITY of our players are returning.  Believe it or not that's actually Fantastic news.
Exactly, it's a good thing, but too many of these dullards and dim wits can't grasp that.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

FATHAWG08

I'm optimistic so far. We signed 8 - (3 offense- 5 defense) without a complete staff. I like that CCM is taking his time and putting his staff together. If he is able to put together a solid staff and keep them together for 3/4 years. We will find out  soon enough if his Texas ties will turn things around in recruiting.
I love off season Football!!

jcharkansas

It would be nice to see a few of these studs at the army all America game choosing or at least talking about the Hogs.... looks like Tenner is getting alot of guys playing in this game.
One thing I don't really get is, ever since CBB has been here we have had or been told we were going to have a small class. Wonder why it is that most other schools always have more spots available than us..... I suppose it's due to no one leaving early for the NFL or something.

Piglet

When Bielema came in he brought some top recruits he was working on while at Wisconsin.  When Morris came in he was recruiting at a lower level and did not have the same type of athlete that would fit in a power 5.  As I remember, he only had one 3-star that was good enough to shift his commitment from SMU.  I expect his recruiting to improve over the next couple of years.  He will have an easier time competing with the big boys for the top athletes.
Treasure your ignorance.  Once it is lost you can never get it back.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: aloha_kid on January 03, 2018, 11:12:37 am

I'll chip in to the smite fund as well, and it appears he is slowly catching up.  Perhaps we should setup a gosmiteme page for him. LOL
I think that is what he was doing with the OP...

Hogindasticks

Quote from: Piglet on January 07, 2018, 05:40:37 pm
When Bielema came in he brought some top recruits he was working on while at Wisconsin.  When Morris came in he was recruiting at a lower level and did not have the same type of athlete that would fit in a power 5.  As I remember, he only had one 3-star that was good enough to shift his commitment from SMU.  I expect his recruiting to improve over the next couple of years.  He will have an easier time competing with the big boys for the top athletes.

Show a good year of improvement and it will be on!