Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Andy Reid

Started by EastexHawg, December 31, 2017, 06:14:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

EastexHawg

You're up 24-10 with eight minutes left.  You're already playing your rookie backup QB, who has looked very good moving the team in his first pro start.

So why don't you just go ahead and win the game with him?  Why do you pull him and stick in the third stringer, who hasn't played all year?  He fumbles the exchange on the first play and now Denver is within one score.

Maybe there is a reason why Reid has never won a Super Bowl.

rzrbkman

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 31, 2017, 06:14:08 pm
You're up 24-10 with eight minutes left.  You're already playing your rookie backup QB, who has looked very good moving the team in his first pro start.

So why don't you just go ahead and win the game with him?  Why do you pull him and stick in the third stringer, who hasn't played all year?  He fumbles the exchange on the first play and now Denver is within one score.

True.

bennyl08

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 31, 2017, 06:14:08 pm

And yet, he still won the game. Not many NFL coaches could win a game with their third string qb, yet you somehow find a way to turn that into a negative. SMH.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

kp72204

QB wouldn't have been replaced in a meaningful game.

EastexHawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 01, 2018, 06:36:38 pm

And yet, he still won the game. Not many NFL coaches could win a game with their third string qb, yet you somehow find a way to turn that into a negative. SMH.

Right, because at the time he knew his defense would get one stop and his rookie QB would lead a game winning drive capped off by a last second field goal.

When Reid put Mahomes back in he acknowledged that (a) it was important to win the game; and (b) Bray wasn't capable of doing it.

A two score game with eight minutes left is not over, so it wasn't time to act like it was.  Reid just miscalculated.  He screwed up and it almost cost his team the game.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 03, 2018, 09:33:07 am
Right, because at the time he knew his defense would get one stop and his rookie QB would lead a game winning drive capped off by a last second field goal.

When Reid put Mahomes back in he acknowledged that (a) it was important to win the game; and (b) Bray wasn't capable of doing it.

A two score game with eight minutes left is not over, so it wasn't time to act like it was.  Reid just miscalculated.  He screwed up and it almost cost his team the game.

Even with a loss they would have won the division. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

EastexHawg

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 03, 2018, 06:25:27 pm
Even with a loss they would have won the division. 

If he thought the game was meaningless in every way, including team psyche and momentum going into the playoffs, Reid wouldn't have put Mahomes back in the game to win it.

bennyl08

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 03, 2018, 09:33:07 am

He wasn't acting like the game was over. He wanted to see if Bray was developed enough as a qb to win the game. The FB messed up the mesh point which led to the fumble. At best, it was Bray's fault for not having the fb lined up exactly right before the snap. Next play they run twice and then ask Bray to convert a third and 8 which he didn't.

KC follows that by a relatively short punt which led to Denver's 2nd second offensive td of the game, still requiring a 4th down conversion. That still only tied the game. Bray was given one very unlikely scenario in which to complete a pass and he didn't before Mahomes was put back in to lead to the game winning fg.

Of course Reid is going to say that it was important to win that game. It was so important to win that game that he didn't play any of his important players. It was clearly important. They could have lost and it would have had zero impact on their standing in the playoff. Winning this game is about as important as winning a pre-season game. He saw all that he wanted to see from Mahomes. Wanted to see what Bray could do. Then put Mahomes back in to see how he would do in crunch time. All of that and guess what? Denver was playing most all of it's starters and still lost to Reid who treated this like a pre-season game.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Dropkick

Question for the OP, did you bet on KC?

EastexHawg

January 04, 2018, 03:58:04 pm #9 Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 08:05:32 am by EastexHawg
Quote from: Dropkick on January 04, 2018, 01:04:42 pm
Question for the OP, did you bet on KC?

No, I just don't like coaches making stupid moves.  I also said as soon as Oklahoma attempted a squib kick with six seconds to go in the half and gave Georgia a field goal in the process that it would come back to bite them.  Chomp, chomp.

Actually, in the interest of full disclosure I have to admit that Patrick Mahomes played at the same high school where my wife used to teach and we have been following his career since he was playing safety for the Whitehouse Wildcats.  I tried to tell everyone on this board when Bielema was chasing quarterbacks from tiny schools in Missouri and Arkansas that there was a tremendous QB, with Arkansas ties, who was there for the plucking if only Big Boy would offer.  And, it's not like Mahomes was a secret since he was the Texas High School Player of the Year as a senior.  He played in one of the toughest 5A districts in the state and was a man among boys, taking a normally mediocre program to an undefeated season and a district championship against perennial powerhouses like John Tyler and future Houston Cougar star QB Greg Ward, among others.

Of course I was told by people who had never seen him play that he was nothing more than a runner who wouldn't be able to "out athlete" major college defenses and that Bielema and the Hogs were "on better quarterbacks."  I have no idea where the running QB came from unless it was a stereotype.  The kid has always been pass first and has always had a rocket attached to his right shoulder.  The "better quarterbacks" claim is too idiotic to address.

And now you know the rest of the story.

MikePiazza

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 04, 2018, 03:58:04 pm
No, I just don't like coaches making stupid moves.  I also said as soon as Oklahoma attempted a squib kick with six seconds to go in the half and gave Georgia a field goal in the process that it would come back to bite them.  Chomp, chomp.

Actually, in the interest of full disclosure I have to admit that Patrick Mahomes played at the same high school where my wife used to teach and we have been following his career since he was playing safety for the Whitehouse Wildcats.  I tried to tell everyone on this board when Bielema was chasing quarterbacks from tiny schools in Missouri and Arkansas that there was a tremendous QB, with Arkansas ties, who was there for the plucking if only Big Boy would offer.  And, it's not like Mahomes was a secret since he was the Texas High School Player of the Year as a senior.  He played in one of the toughest 5A districts in the state and was a man among boys, taking a normally mediocre program to an undefeated season and a district championship against perennial powerhouses like John Tyler, with QBs like Houston Cougar star Greg Ward, among others.

Of course I was told by people who had never seen him play that he was nothing more than a runner who wouldn't be able to "out athlete" major college defenses and the Bielema and the Hogs were "on better quarterbacks."  I have no idea where the running QB came from unless it was a stereotype.  The kid has always been pass first and has always had a rocket attached to his right shoulder.  The "better quarterbacks" claim is too idiotic to address.

And now you know the rest of the story.

He made Rohan Gaines his playground equipment in that game up here two years ago. That's when I knew he was for real.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.