Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

About Rankings

Started by mizzouman, December 18, 2017, 12:31:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mizzouman

They mean NOTHING and do not tell the story at this time of the year.  They start to make a little more sense mid January or late January.

However, for the past 5 years, the BEST rankings is Sagarin.

Every year, I do bracket based on who will win using Sagarin, RPI and Kenpom.  Sagarin has placed more teams in the sweet 16 than any other rankings, then RPI, then Kenpom.

ShadowHawg

There have been plenty of teams that were top 25 in the AP and Coaches polls heading into the last couple weeks of the season that have missed the tournament.

mizzouman

Quote from: ShadowHawg on December 18, 2017, 01:11:54 pm
There have been plenty of teams that were top 25 in the AP and Coaches polls heading into the last couple weeks of the season that have missed the tournament.
I'm not sure about plenty, but I'm sure that there are teams who have received votes that did not get in.  Those teams are typically teams from one bid leagues who did not win their tournament.

k.c.hawg

Use to buy USA Today befiore the pc age in order to get Sagarin!!
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Hoggish1

Quote from: mizzouman on December 18, 2017, 12:31:44 pm

However, for the past 5 years, the BEST rankings is Sagarin.

WPS!  We are 18 in his latest poll.

mizzouman

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 19, 2017, 09:14:55 am
WPS!  We are 18 in his latest poll.
Look for Sagarin to be even more accurate late January.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: mizzouman on December 19, 2017, 09:00:35 am
I'm not sure about plenty, but I'm sure that there are teams who have received votes that did not get in.  Those teams are typically teams from one bid leagues who did not win their tournament.

South Carolina just a few years ago. Ranked teams can be on the bubble quick with a late bad loss.

mizzouman

Quote from: ShadowHawg on December 19, 2017, 03:22:59 pm
South Carolina just a few years ago. Ranked teams can be on the bubble quick with a late bad loss.
This is true. 

HogFansReunited

My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568