Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SWC Texas Legend Tommy Nobis is dead at 74

Started by DeltaBoy, December 14, 2017, 02:50:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

island hog

DThog90

OLDHOG

He was the perfect linebacker, just raw bone tough.

pignparadise

He was a big part of our 1964 National Championship. Stopped Joe Namath on a 4th and goal in the last minute of the 1965 Orange Bowl after we had won earlier in the day. We watched at a neighbor's house. It was the first time I had ever seen a color TV.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

3of5-2

I bet he never took a knee during the national anthem.

BoarnSupremacy

That dude was a monster.  If I recall right he was Falcons all pro.  May be wrong

oldhawg

Should have been a Razorback.

"Aside from his super ability, he's just one of those trained pigs you love. He'll laugh and jump right in the slop for you," Texas coach Darryl Royal told Sports Illustrated's Dan Jenkins for a cover story on Nobis in October 1965.

WizardofhOgZ

It's hard for fans today - that weren't around in the 1960's, when Nobis played - to appreciate just how dominant he was.  One of my most satisfying memories of that era is that Arkansas beat Texas two of Nobis' three seasons (freshmen were not eligible in those years).  The quote I will always remember, which underscores his focus and intensity, came after the 1964 season in which the Hogs famously upset defending National Champions Texas in Austin 14-13.  Interviewed coming into the 1965 season, Nobis simply said "I think a little bit about Arkansas every day."  Fortunately, for Razorback fans, he was still thinking about the Hogs after his visit to Fayetteville that October.

BTW, here's a good, short read on Nobis and Texas from the 1965 Sports Illustrated pre-season magazine.  In those days, Texas Football (and it's cousin, Arkansas Football, which ran the same stories, but with more coverage of the Razorbacks and Arkansas HS football) was the Bible.  But for National Coverage, the SI pre-season issue was about as good as it got.  Unlike the others, it came out just as the season was beginning, and so had some more current information (the other pre-season mags were put to bed and printed well before fall practices had started). In addition to the info on Nobis and Texas, there's a pre-season look at the Razorbacks as well.

https://www.si.com/vault/1965/09/20/615026/texas-has-a-horn-of-plenty

island hog

Thank you for posting the old SI article!! That was how we get our info back in the day, along with our football bible... Dave Campbell's Texas and Arkansas football magazine. I had those things memorized and can still see all the faces of future stars in the Friday Night Heroes section. The best old days.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: BoarnSupremacy on December 14, 2017, 05:01:38 pm
That dude was a monster.  If I recall right he was Falcons all pro.  May be wrong

He was and his #40 is retired with the Falcons and he in their ring of honor!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Johnny Bobo