Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Moving to NWA

Started by Chuck Boarris, October 13, 2017, 09:40:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Boarris

In two years when I retire from the Air Force. Are there any bass clubs or tournament circuits up there? I'm not overly thrilled with Beaver Lake being my home lake, but I love fishing too much to just quit.

Hog_Swanson

The have tourney's almost every night of the week spring to fall.  Several independent clubs also.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Chuck Boarris

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Chuck Boarris on October 13, 2017, 10:36:17 am
Good to hear. Thank you.
Heck, bass fishing is now a high school club.  I have a buddy that has to take his kid to a tourney I think once a month.  Parents have to drive, but are not aloud to fish.  I wish they had that when I was in school.

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Chuck Boarris

For real! I have buddies down here who do that with their kids, and I've captained a couple times myself. It's like watching paint dry. My boy is only two, but if he's into it, I'll do it for him.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Chuck Boarris on October 13, 2017, 11:34:26 am
For real! I have buddies down here who do that with their kids, and I've captained a couple times myself. It's like watching paint dry. My boy is only two, but if he's into it, I'll do it for him.
Basically you take 2 kids out and stay in the drivers seat.  The kids run the trolling motor.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Chuck Boarris on October 13, 2017, 09:40:04 am
In two years when I retire from the Air Force. Are there any bass clubs or tournament circuits up there? I'm not overly thrilled with Beaver Lake being my home lake, but I love fishing too much to just quit.

you will find no more beautiful lakes in the United States than those made up from the White River lakes (Bull Shoals (2nd), Taneycomo (1st), Table Rock (3rd), and Beaver Lake (4th)).    Table Rock is simply, for me, too crowded and "touristed" (I say this even though I spent all of my childhood years there and loved every one of them), I love Bull Shoals, but I absolutely adore Beaver.... not remotely as crowded as Table Rock and has great, great, bass fishing..... + it's close to the UofA campus where you can see great Football, Basketball, Track, and Baseball competition year round............

+
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

JaketheSnake

Move to Bella Vista.  Great fishing on multiple smaller lakes and many tournaments weekly.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 13, 2017, 01:03:05 pm
you will find no more beautiful lakes in the United States than those made up from the White River lakes (Bull Shoals (2nd), Taneycomo (1st), Table Rock (3rd), and Beaver Lake (4th)).    Table Rock is simply, for me, too crowded and "touristed" (I say this even though I spent all of my childhood years there and loved every one of them), I love Bull Shoals, but I absolutely adore Beaver.... not remotely as crowded as Table Rock and has great, great, bass fishing..... + it's close to the UofA campus where you can see great Football, Basketball, Track, and Baseball competition year round............

You must be talking about the opposition here, LOL.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

holeinthewall

QuoteIt's like watching paint dry

Fishing definitely is

Chuck Boarris

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 15, 2017, 11:20:02 am
Move to Bella Vista.  Great fishing on multiple smaller lakes and many tournaments weekly.

I'm trying to be as close to Bella Vista as possible. It really depends on where we find our jobs.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Chuck Boarris on October 20, 2017, 08:35:11 am
I'm trying to be as close to Bella Vista as possible. It really depends on where we find our jobs.

If you want to fish in Bella Vista, you probably want to live there.  They charge quite a bit to fish those lakes.

Chuck Boarris

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 20, 2017, 08:18:12 pm
If you want to fish in Bella Vista, you probably want to live there.  They charge quite a bit to fish those lakes.

That's good to know. Thanks.

DeltaBoy

Good Fishing up there to keep you busy!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogbud

My advice is buy Oklahoma and Missouri fishing licenses and drive a little extra. Arkansas Game and Fish lake management is poor compared to neighbors.

Mr.Gruntastic

Get your border lakes for Missouri.  That'll allow you to fish Table Rock and Bull Shoals without having to buy a out of state Missouri fishing license.  The upper end of Bull Shoals at the damn where lake taneycomo becomes Bull Shoals is awesome fishing trout, large mouth, crappie, walleye, and strippers.  Every year 40-57 lb strippers are caught in the spring.  There's decent trout fishing on this side of taneycomo as well but you'd have to buy a 3 day license and trout stamp but it's worth it if you wanna fish taneycomo below the table rock damn at the trout hatchery.  Only 2 hours away from Fayetteville and well worth the drive.  Also awesome small mouth fishing on the creeks and streams in the area.

twistitup

Quote from: hogbud on November 25, 2017, 06:51:25 am
My advice is buy Oklahoma and Missouri fishing licenses and drive a little extra. Arkansas Game and Fish lake management is poor compared to neighbors.

Grass is always greener guy....
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hogbud

Quote from: twistitup on November 12, 2018, 05:21:46 am
Grass is always greener guy....

That's my advice to bass guys....I'm building "crappie condos" now.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Mr.Gruntastic on November 12, 2018, 03:56:08 am
Get your border lakes for Missouri.  That'll allow you to fish Table Rock and Bull Shoals without having to buy a out of state Missouri fishing license.  The upper end of Bull Shoals at the damn where lake taneycomo becomes Bull Shoals is awesome fishing trout, large mouth, crappie, walleye, and strippers.  Every year 40-57 lb strippers are caught in the spring.  There's decent trout fishing on this side of taneycomo as well but you'd have to buy a 3 day license and trout stamp but it's worth it if you wanna fish taneycomo below the table rock damn at the trout hatchery.  Only 2 hours away from Fayetteville and well worth the drive.  Also awesome small mouth fishing on the creeks and streams in the area.
I like my strippers with a little more meat on them, but to each his own...

Mr.Gruntastic

Hogbit

White river impoundments=smalmouth bass

Piggyback78

Meanmouth and Kentucky bass

DLUXHOG

Dtechman

The words great, great bass fishing and beaver lake should never be used in the same sentence.  Beaver is a terrible fishery for bass. Being from Texas, I know what good bass fishing is and in Arkansas it simply ain't. There are some exceptions of course, like Millwood, dardenell etc but Arkansas is simply not a destination for great bass fishing. AGFC puts way too much effort in stripers and hybrids on the larger lakes to ever be great for bass. Just look at the FLW weights on beaver and Ouachita when 12 pounds is a good sack and 10 will get you in the money.

Hogbit

Quote from: Dtechman on November 23, 2018, 11:57:26 am
The words great, great bass fishing and beaver lake should never be used in the same sentence.  Beaver is a terrible fishery for bass. Being from Texas, I know what good bass fishing is and in Arkansas it simply ain't. There are some exceptions of course, like Millwood, dardenell etc but Arkansas is simply not a destination for great bass fishing. AGFC puts way too much effort in stripers and hybrids on the larger lakes to ever be great for bass. Just look at the FLW weights on beaver and Ouachita when 12 pounds is a good sack and 10 will get you in the money.
True dat. AGFC is pretty pathetic

twistitup

It's a different strain of bass in TX. The Florida strain get larger, grows quicker and can handle the temps in Texas...Lake Fork became famous because of the Florida strain of black bass there. I am from the area and TX does a great job on black bass, some of that has to do with their warmer location. AGFC manages different types of bass and they do focus on Stripers / Hybrids as well. Don't forget some of the best bass lakes in TX also have healthy populations of white bass, hybrids and stripers.

https://www.itemonline.com/sports/outdoors-florida-bass-are-much-different-than-the-northern-largemouths/article_8fe8f2e1-50fd-577e-9cba-a8dafdb85676.html
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Pat Goss

Winter's Bone - Thars family in them thar hills
Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 16, 2020, 06:04:44 pm
That all you got, Pat? No royal family or Taylor Swift news today?

Quote from: Pat Goss on July 16, 2020, 06:06:07 pm
Taylor has a vinyl album out

cram224

The words great, great bass fishing and beaver lake should never be used in the same sentence.  Beaver is a terrible fishery for bass. Being from Texas, I know what good bass fishing is and in Arkansas it simply ain’t. There are some exceptions of course, like Millwood, dardenell etc but Arkansas is simply not a destination for great bass fishing. AGFC puts way too much effort in stripers and hybrids on the larger lakes to ever be great for bass. Just look at the FLW weights on beaver and Ouachita when 12 pounds is a good sack and 10 will get you in the money.
Man you must not fish much. Table Rock Lake puts out several 25 pound sacks in tournaments. Bull Shoals is a great numbers lake with a chance of catching a really big walleye in the spring. Beaver, I agree is tuff for bass fishing however the striper fishing can be really good early in the mornings. Grew up fishing these lakes and have a lake house on Table Rock. Bull Shoals is my favorite just because you can have parts of that lake all by yourself.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: cram224 on January 13, 2019, 01:19:27 pm
Man you must not fish much. Table Rock Lake puts out several 25 pound sacks in tournaments. Bull Shoals is a great numbers lake with a chance of catching a really big walleye in the spring. Beaver, I agree is tuff for bass fishing however the striper fishing can be really good early in the mornings. Grew up fishing these lakes and have a lake house on Table Rock. Bull Shoals is my favorite just because you can have parts of that lake all by yourself.

agree fully... I grew up on Table Rock (literally "on" the lake) and fished it or skied it every day)..  Spent many a day fishing Bull Shoals as well since I had a lot of family down there....   I could tell great true stories of amazing bass fishing on Table Rock and Bull Shoals, but then there's just not enough time or space to do that...........

010HogFan

Correct. Millwood is the best lake in Arkansas.