Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hayden Henry

Started by HogWildBison2011, August 21, 2017, 02:11:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

bennyl08

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 23, 2017, 07:49:12 pm
Benny, Ramsey played in space and coverage maybe more than you realize last year. Of the starters my confidence goes in this order, Harris, Greenlaw(durability), Ramsey, and Eugene has most to prove.

I'm sure he did. But he didn't make an impact. No passes defended. About a quarter of his tackles were tackles for loss. He wasn't out on the field a whole lot to begin with and most of his impact was at or behind the LoS.

Very possible that he covered so well that the ball was never thrown his way.

What does Eugene have left to prove? Graded in the top 5 Arkansas defenders vs LSU game with a grade of 73.5 (For context, Fournette had a 76.5 grade, Key and Adams were 80.5 and 80 respectively and are both likely top 5 picks). Against Bama where both Greenlaw and Eugene played, Greenlaw graded out at 75.1 while Eugene graded out at 78.6. Comparing their 2 stats as evenly as I can. Greenlaw's stats are for the whole season where the played and started 7 games. Eugene I'm only looking at the 6 games he started plus the Alabama game seeing as Greenlaw was hurt in that game, it gives both about 6.5 games of stats. Note that Greenlaw's games came against non-conference opponents mostly while Eugene's stats were mostly SEC conference games.

Greenlaw: 42 (22) 1.5 tfl, 1 int, 1 qbh, 2 fr
Eugene: 35 (17) 1.0 tfl, 1 int, 2 qbh, 2 fr, 

Eugene's stat's are almost identical. When looking at the defense's performance against p5 teams, you'll see that there isn't any loss of production with Eugene replacing Greenlaw either. Greenlaw's production was slightly better, Eugene did just as well. He's earned my trust.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hawginbigd1

I am not a stats guy mostly, I prefer to use my eyes more than stats. Greenlaw played about a half plus against tx st. Just as a point. Eugene was on the field for the worst our defense played last year, many pundits point to Greenlaw not being on the field. I see Eugene on the field, being out of position and blocked out of plays too often, our LBs and safeties were our weakness and have been. The transition to the 3-4 will help with that at least on the LB level, as they will have fewer keys and play in a smaller box. Playing mostly in the 4-2 with Ellis and Eugene at LB was a recipe for failure, I don't think that can really be argued.

PorkSoda

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 23, 2017, 09:21:01 pm
I am not a stats guy mostly, I prefer to use my eyes more than stats. Greenlaw played about a half plus against tx st. Just as a point. Eugene was on the field for the worst our defense played last year, many pundits point to Greenlaw not being on the field. I see Eugene on the field, being out of position and blocked out of plays too often, our LBs and safeties were our weakness and have been. The transition to the 3-4 will help with that at least on the LB level, as they will have fewer keys and play in a smaller box. Playing mostly in the 4-2 with Ellis and Eugene at LB was a recipe for failure, I don't think that can really be argued.
I do think its interesting that we moved to a 3-4 when we have historically had a hard time recruiting LBs, but who knows, maybe it will work out for us.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bennyl08

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 23, 2017, 09:21:01 pm

Greenlaw was out of position and blocked out of plays plenty vs the likes of TCU and the Aggies as well. Go watch the florida game to see what Eugene can do.

I think the last can be argued. 2014 was played mostly in the 4-2 with Ellis and Spaight and it was a raging success. Eugene isn't as strong a playmaker as Spaight was, but with the right scheming, those two as the LB'ers in a nickel package (Eugene and Ellis) could have been good enough for a solid defense.

The disaster wasn't so much the formation, but that we had the talents of Wise, Ledbetter, Collins, and Ellis leading that defense last year and we did horribly. Robb Smith had the talent to put together a good defense last year. He showed that given the talent, he can scheme a good defense such as was done in 2014. But, squat was done last year with the scheme and he had to go.

I do still wonder though. In the off-season, it was apparent that they were gearing up to try and replicate 2014, going light and fast on the DL. Pressing on the edges rather than lining up way off. They pretty much spent the whole off-season preparing for an aggressive defense for 2016, but when the time came to actually play, they retreated into a soft defense. Didn't press the corners much, didn't let the DL loose. Ledbetter was pushed back out to end rather than DT. Why the sudden reluctance and philosophy shift? Who was pushing for the aggressive defense in the spring and summer? Who decided against the aggressive defense in the fall?
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

PorkSoda

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 23, 2017, 09:42:21 pm
I do still wonder though. In the off-season, it was apparent that they were gearing up to try and replicate 2014, going light and fast on the DL. Pressing on the edges rather than lining up way off. They pretty much spent the whole off-season preparing for an aggressive defense for 2016, but when the time came to actually play, they retreated into a soft defense. Didn't press the corners much, didn't let the DL loose. Ledbetter was pushed back out to end rather than DT. Why the sudden reluctance and philosophy shift? Who was pushing for the aggressive defense in the spring and summer? Who decided against the aggressive defense in the fall?
good question, I do wonder about that.  it takes a certain mental determination to play aggressive because you are going to give up some plays when you guess wrong.  but that's gonna happen anyways.  seems like RS just folded under the pressure and passed it on the players.  How can the players buy into the system if the DC doesnt.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Stephen Greene

all I know is that ricepig was a 2*, and look how he turned out

....wait...

:-\

870rzrback

Why does any one care if he's number 2 just because he's a blue shirt

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 23, 2017, 07:04:18 pm
Take your sniping at CBB to prop up CMAs lack of success elsewhere, why can't we support and root for both? Taking shots at one does not help the other. You sound like the guy that makes sure everybody knows your co-worker was late or failed at something to make you look better. I call those people losers......don't be a loser

You are not going to compete with Bama, Auburn, TCU etc. with walk on type players coming in beating out guys that's been in the program 2-3 years.
No knock against Henry at all. He might develop into a great player. He should be in a position to develop and not be baptized by fire. As talented as Dre was as a freshman he struggled at times due to not having game experience.
I was right about CMA and I support both programs.

ricepig

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on August 24, 2017, 05:19:35 am
You are not going to compete with Bama, Auburn, TCU etc. with walk on type players coming in beating out guys that's been in the program 2-3 years.
No knock against Henry at all. He might develop into a great player. He should be in a position to develop and not be baptized by fire. As talented as Dre was as a freshman he struggled at times due to not having game experience.
I was right about CMA and I support both programs.

He's either second or third string "Razor" OLB, it depends on where Eugene is listed. Who are the second and third year guys he's beat out? AJB and Bell are out with injuries, we aren't 4 deep with scholarship LB's at every position.

gchamblee

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on August 23, 2017, 06:03:21 pm
5 years and a walk on is second team LB. Very concerning! I thought they were building a program.

wow. it always amazes me when someone volunteers their ignorance so willingly

Letsroll1200

Quote from: gchamblee on August 24, 2017, 07:25:31 am
wow. it always amazes me when someone volunteers their ignorance so willingly

It's called critical thinking!
2014 LB Class
Randy Ramsey - Elite Athlete but hasn't produced.
Dwayne Eugene - I think will have a good year.
Joshua Williams - Injuries ended has career

2015 LB Class
Kendrick Jackson - ?
Derrick Grahm - Transfer
Dre Greenlaw - Good player. I still don't know why he was playing in the bowl game.
Jamario Bell - Has played almost every position but RB, QB, CB, S, and WR.

Dee Walker- ?
Giovani LaFrance - ?
Dejon Harris - Will be a good player.

In three signing classes prior to the 2017 class, Arkansas has three players that I have seen that have flashed on the playing field and that's Greenlaw, Ramsey and Harris. This is not a knock on BB. It's just pointing out that the depth of the LB position is going to a priority going forward after this season. Henry being in the mix ahead of some of the other guys that have been in the program, film room and weight room for 2 or 3 years is concerning.
Why is it that if you think critically about Arkansas football, you're against the coach or the program?
I hope Henry is the next Tony Bua, Jerico Nelson type of player. Undersized but productive.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on August 24, 2017, 09:00:47 am
2014 LB Class

2015 LB Class
Kendrick Jackson - ?
Derrick Grahm - Transfer
Dre Greenlaw - Good player. I still don't know why he was playing in the bowl game.

Dee Walker- ?
Giovani LaFrance - ?

In three signing classes prior to the 2017 class, Arkansas has three players that I have seen that have flashed on the playing field and that's Greenlaw, Ramsey and Harris. This is not a knock on BB. It's just pointing out that the depth of the LB position is going to a priority going forward after this season. Henry being in the mix ahead of some of the other guys that have been in the program, film room and weight room for 2 or 3 years is concerning.
Why is it that if you think critically about Arkansas football, you're against the coach or the program?
I hope Henry is the next Tony Bua, Jerico Nelson type of player. Undersized but productive.
Here is some critical thinking for you:

You're a jackass!
All Gas, No Brakes!

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 24, 2017, 09:12:52 am
Here is some critical thinking for you:

You're a jackass!

A soft answer turns away wrath. Thanks

SDZ_Hog

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 23, 2017, 06:37:30 pm
Check our roster, and report on who should be ahead that isn't.

Eugene Jr - Sr - changes from being a starter to a backup. 2 deep lock though.
Roesler - Sr - walk on, in the 2 deep
Greenlaw - Jr - starter
Ramsey - Jr - starter
J. Harris - Jr - walkon, deep on the depth chart
D. Harris - So - starter
Richardson - So - 2 deep lock
Bell- So - injured
Phillips - So - walkon, third string
Carter - So - walkon, buried in depth chart
Collins - So - walkon, buried in depth chart
Walker - RFr - 2nd string
Jean-Baptiste - RFr - injured
LaFrance - RFr - 3rd string, but will play
Morgan - RFr - 2nd string walkon
Brasuell - RsFr - walkon, buried in depth chart
Henry - Fr - blue shirt, rotates between 2nd and 4th on the depth chart from reports
Fisher - Fr - true freshmen, mentioned as being somebody who wouldn't redshirt though
Munson - Fr - true freshmen, probably redshirt
Paul - Fr - true freshmen, could play, could redshirt
Pennington - Fr - walkon, buried on depth chart

Here's a comprehensive list. LaFrance is the only scholarship player who has anybody younger taking their spot on the 2-deep but has been hyped up by the coaches this fall. So, interpret that as he's basically on par with the 2 deep and the gap isn't very far.
Unless its year to year, Roesler was put on scholarship prior to liberty bowl

ricepig

2014 LB Class

2015 LB Class
Kendrick Jackson - ?
Derrick Grahm - Transfer

Dee Walker- ?
Giovani LaFrance - ?

We don't have an abundance of OLB, that's why he is listed on the depth chart. Eugene, Ramsey, Bell, Jean-Baptiste, Roesler, and Richardson are the OLB's, two different positions, but a couple of guys can play both. Throw in two out with injuries, one for the season, and you have a walk on looking for playing time.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 23, 2017, 07:04:18 pm
Take your sniping at CBB to prop up CMAs lack of success elsewhere, why can't we support and root for both? Taking shots at one does not help the other. You sound like the guy that makes sure everybody knows your co-worker was late or failed at something to make you look better. I call those people losers......don't be a loser

There are many posters in MMQB who have voiced concern over depth in the two deep on defense for years, especially at linebacker. I don't see how this comment was an attempt to prop up CMA but your response seems to indicate your dissatisfaction with CMA and loyalty to CBB.

Both coaches have something to prove this season. I look forward to seeing them step up to the challenges.
Hogs up! Covid down!

JethroB.

Quote from: thebignasty on August 22, 2017, 12:06:48 pm
So, we get some undervalued local kids, some without using schollies, and its a negative?

Tough crowd.

Wouldn't Drew Morgan have fit into this category when he came up also? He worked out pretty good for us.

bennyl08

Quote from: JethroB. on August 24, 2017, 01:33:30 pm
Wouldn't Drew Morgan have fit into this category when he came up also? He worked out pretty good for us.

Drew had a scholarship coming in. Granted, he was in the 2013 class so there was some scrambling to fill it up.

I'd say he did alright here.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: FineAsSwine on August 24, 2017, 09:59:50 am
There are many posters in MMQB who have voiced concern over depth in the two deep on defense for years, especially at linebacker. I don't see how this comment was an attempt to prop up CMA but your response seems to indicate your dissatisfaction with CMA and loyalty to CBB.

Both coaches have something to prove this season. I look forward to seeing them step up to the challenges.
Not at all I have been critical of both, there are people who are only critical of one or the other, it just doesn't sit well with me. Neither has lived up to my expectations and maybe unfairly my expectations were higher for CMA. I was an early skeptic of CBB, but I am on board with both now.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on August 24, 2017, 07:23:44 pm
Not at all I have been critical of both, there are people who are only critical of one or the other, it just doesn't sit well with me. Neither has lived up to my expectations and maybe unfairly my expectations were higher for CMA. I was an early skeptic of CBB, but I am on board with both now.

Fair enough.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Pork Twain

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on August 22, 2017, 09:15:00 am
This concerns me about CBB.  I think we under sign Arkansas kids.  Several examples of this happening.  I understand us slow playing a recruit if he is a bad apple or has bad grades or even if he is a only a 3 star and we do not need his position.   But several of these kids play a position of need.  Hayden and Grant are two.  A OLM Clarey from Fayetteville is also one.  We offered a Blue shirt so he is not on scholarship right now and I hear on the 2 deep.  I guess he gets a scholarship next semester but we are so lucky he came on board.
Completely off mark with this post and there is very little truth to it.  Far too many think every Arkansas kid should get an offer a la HDN.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

gchamblee

2014 LB Class

2015 LB Class
Kendrick Jackson - ?
Derrick Grahm - Transfer

Dee Walker- ?
Giovani LaFrance - ?

Critical thinking should be accompanied by critical research. I read your post history and know exactly what your attitude towards our coaching staff will be regardless of the topic. Also, one of the complaints was that Henry is a walkon. Your critical thinking never considered the possibility that the parents of Henry could offer additional help to our football team by being financially able to turn down a scholarship so that it could be used on another player from a less fortunate family while still having their son be part of the team. My critical thinking generally leads me to one conclusion.... when someone talks with authority about darn they have no intimate knowledge of they are mostly blowhards.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Mike_e on August 23, 2017, 07:47:48 pm
I've heard it called a lot of things but calling it a drum is a first.

Sure... Remember that Little Feet song where the dude told the chick, "I've got to hoist the flag then I'll beat your drum"? Very fitting...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: gchamblee on August 25, 2017, 11:23:18 am
Critical thinking should be accompanied by critical research. I read your post history and know exactly what your attitude towards our coaching staff will be regardless of the topic. Also, one of the complaints was that Henry is a walkon. Your critical thinking never considered the possibility that the parents of Henry could offer additional help to our football team by being financially able to turn down a scholarship so that it could be used on another player from a less fortunate family while still having their son be part of the team. My critical thinking generally leads me to one conclusion.... when someone talks with authority about darn they have no intimate knowledge of they are mostly blowhards.

My feelings about the coaching staff is they have fielded two of the worst defensive units in Arkansas football history. Offensively they have some very good skill players. You can defend all you want to but the linebacker position is a issue.

Mike_e

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on August 25, 2017, 11:33:22 am
Sure... Remember that Little Feet song where the dude told the chick, "I've got to hoist the flag then I'll beat your drum"? Very fitting...

Welllll, now that you mention it, good point.  I guess his having a drum instead of a flag would make more sense.

At certain times.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

DLUXHOG

Quote from: 870rzrback on August 24, 2017, 12:17:49 am
Why does any one care if he's number 2 just because he's a blue shirt

Probably just envy because 99.9% on this board couldn't qualify as a pink shirt recruit....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)