Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Checkrides

Started by Flying Razorback, April 26, 2015, 03:42:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Razorback

I hate checkrides.  I just finished mine this past Thursday night and passed, but man, I swear they are the worst about flying. 

We expire every 18 months and we're eligible between the 12th and end of the 17th month.  I expire at the end of June and hadn't flown much lately but needed to get it knocked out.  I did it as a combination check and knocked out my Instrument/Qualification check and my Mission check ride. 

So I had to plan a 4 ship formation on an IFR route to an IFR airdrop, IFR formation recovery on a Cat II ILS, followed by an NVG VFR low level to an NVG airdrop and formation visual recovery.  Then to single ship for a full procedure NDB approach to a circle, a 3-engine ILS to a 3-engine missed approach, 3-engine VFR pattern to a 3-engine landing, to a low altitude NVG tactical arrival to an NVG assault landing.

It took 4 hours and I was worn out.  Left the building at 3 AM and had to be back at work at noon.  I was told I passed but I still haven't done the knowledge portion.  I think it should be foregone at this point but looks like I'll meet back up with my evaluator on Wednesday to do that.  I should probably study some more...

Hope everyone is weathering this wet spring.  The rain held off Thursday night so I only had to deal with close ceilings.  Better than what I expected since thunderstorms were forecast for Thursday night but never materialized.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Ragnar Hogbrok

I'm currently in AH-64D IPC.  I have a check coming up this week or next and another 7 days from that one. Then, there's three more checks within 60 days. I hate check rides, add well, because they can be very subjective on the part of the evaluator.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: The Chief on April 27, 2015, 06:59:10 am
I'm currently in AH-64D IPC.  I have a check coming up this week or next and another 7 days from that one. Then, there's three more checks within 60 days. I hate check rides, add well, because they can be very subjective on the part of the evaluator.

I don't think they ever get easier.  All the worse things and weirdest weather seems to hit on the day of my check ride.  And on a normal flight with a regular crew I'd just go make the mission happen.  Now every decision and move I make it being watched.

I had to get this one knocked out because I'm starting Instructor school in a couple of weeks as well and will have to take an Instructor check ride in about 6 weeks.

theFlyingHog

I haven't had a ride since 2010. It was my IFR check and it turned out to be one of the bumpiest days I have flown in my 300 hours. Hot and bumpy in the foggles for two hours on no sleep. Luckily I didn't eat beforehand

gotyacovered

i cannot wait for my next checkride... cant happen soon enough. i am going to get my dual for IRF done in June and proceed from there. for ppl, from day 1 of training to ticket in hand it was 5 months. that includes about 45-50 days of mx and 10-11 days of weather delays.

shooting for a checkride in early september.

the type of flying i have been doing... i need it. case in point: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N42653

it was an easy IFR day that turned into pain in the butt VFR flight. could have been on top of a broken layer at 6000 cool and smooth, instead i was flying in and around rain showers at 3500-4500.
You are what you tolerate.

GusMcRae

Quote from: Flying Razorback on April 26, 2015, 03:42:56 pm
I hate checkrides.  I just finished mine this past Thursday night and passed, but man, I swear they are the worst about flying. 

We expire every 18 months and we're eligible between the 12th and end of the 17th month.  I expire at the end of June and hadn't flown much lately but needed to get it knocked out.  I did it as a combination check and knocked out my Instrument/Qualification check and my Mission check ride. 

So I had to plan a 4 ship formation on an IFR route to an IFR airdrop, IFR formation recovery on a Cat II ILS, followed by an NVG VFR low level to an NVG airdrop and formation visual recovery.  Then to single ship for a full procedure NDB approach to a circle, a 3-engine ILS to a 3-engine missed approach, 3-engine VFR pattern to a 3-engine landing, to a low altitude NVG tactical arrival to an NVG assault landing.

It took 4 hours and I was worn out.  Left the building at 3 AM and had to be back at work at noon.  I was told I passed but I still haven't done the knowledge portion.  I think it should be foregone at this point but looks like I'll meet back up with my evaluator on Wednesday to do that.  I should probably study some more...

Hope everyone is weathering this wet spring.  The rain held off Thursday night so I only had to deal with close ceilings.  Better than what I expected since thunderstorms were forecast for Thursday night but never materialized.

Stresses me out just thinking about all that. 

Quote from: gotyacovered on May 01, 2015, 08:14:06 am
i cannot wait for my next checkride... cant happen soon enough. i am going to get my dual for IRF done in June and proceed from there. for ppl, from day 1 of training to ticket in hand it was 5 months. that includes about 45-50 days of mx and 10-11 days of weather delays.

the type of flying i have been doing... i need it. case in point: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N42653

it was an easy IFR day that turned into pain in the butt VFR flight. could have been on top of a broken layer at 6000 cool and smooth, instead i was flying in and around rain showers at 3500-4500.

That is quite the squiggely line. 

Looks like I will have several opportunities to get some flight into IMC coming up and the long range forecast looking the way it does. 
The few xc flights I have had since earning the ticket, I have filed IFR all but one time.  But so far it was all clear blue skies. 
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

Flying Razorback

Quote from: gotyacovered on May 01, 2015, 08:14:06 am

IFR definitely gets a lot more stressful the closer you get to the ground.  I love kicking back and cruising the airways to get somewhere fun.  But the stress sure picks up the lower you get in to the terminal environment.  Throw showers and stuff in there and there's nothing fun about it.

Ragnar Hogbrok

The part I hate about my instrument eval is this:

My aircraft is only equipped with an ADF and two GPSs which are not certified for instrument flight.  However, I get quizzed on ILS approaches, localizers, victor airways, and intersection holding which I cannot do in my aircraft.  My instrument checkride usually consists of flying out to the reservation, simulating IIMC, fixing the NDB (which works about 50% of the time), holding, then shooting the approach followed by a missed approach to an emergency GPS approach followed by a missed approach to getting radar vectors for a PAR or ASR to a full stop.

So, why do I need to be an expert of VORs, ILS, Localizer, etc?  I'm told, "professionalism."  It is what it is.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: The Chief on May 16, 2015, 01:33:20 pm
The part I hate about my instrument eval is this:

My aircraft is only equipped with an ADF and two GPSs which are not certified for instrument flight.  However, I get quizzed on ILS approaches, localizers, victor airways, and intersection holding which I cannot do in my aircraft.  My instrument checkride usually consists of flying out to the reservation, simulating IIMC, fixing the NDB (which works about 50% of the time), holding, then shooting the approach followed by a missed approach to an emergency GPS approach followed by a missed approach to getting radar vectors for a PAR or ASR to a full stop.

So, why do I need to be an expert of VORs, ILS, Localizer, etc?  I'm told, "professionalism."  It is what it is.

I hate that too.  When I was flying at a training base I'd be questioned on ICAO procedures and international flying.  I asked the evaluator why it mattered since we weren't allowed to fly outside the US.  I get an answer similar to yours "professionalism".

It makes even less sense for them to do that stuff to you.  I'd never be questioned on a "copter" approach or Special VFR or things that I can't do.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Welp, last check ride of the AH-64D Instructor Pilot Course is tonight. Lord, let me get it done tonight.

I'm on week 13 of a twelve week course (weather and maintenance).  Tonight's check ride is comprehensive. Only 20 publications the size of the Holy Bible are fair game. Please, Lord, let it end tonight!

Flying Razorback

Quote from: The Chief on July 07, 2015, 11:58:30 am
Welp, last check ride of the AH-64D Instructor Pilot Course is tonight. Lord, let me get it done tonight.

I'm on week 13 of a twelve week course (weather and maintenance).  Tonight's check ride is comprehensive. Only 20 publications the size of the Holy Bible are fair game. Please, Lord, let it end tonight!

Awesome, good luck.  I just finished the C-130J Instructor Pilot course last month and I did a 4 month Instructor course to teach pilot training.

All I can say is, don't be afraid to take the jet, everything is a learning point, and recognize when the "student" is getting overwhelmed and tailor instruction to when they can absorb it.  Know where something is written and when you're espousing a technique versus a procedure.

The biggest one, of course, being 'don't be afraid to take the jet'.  Your bubble should be smaller on a check ride and they're checking to make sure you can keep the crew and mission safe.

Good luck!  You'll do great.  You've been flying a long time and you've got a deep bag of tricks and experience that the next generation needs to have access to.  Use it to your advantage and kick this check ride's tail!

Flying Razorback

Another one of my favorite techniques:

"Oh, that's a good one.  Let's go ahead and look that up."

It's better than giving the wrong answer because whatever you say is what will stick in their mind.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Well, it's over and I passed. I'm now an AH-64D instructor pilot. I'm glad that course is over.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: The Chief on July 08, 2015, 07:58:39 am
Well, it's over and I passed. I'm now an AH-64D instructor pilot. I'm glad that course is over.

YES!!!!  AWESOME!!!

Very proud of you man, that's a huge accomplishment.  I had instructed for years at pilot training, but actually being an instructor now in an operational warplane is an entirely different level.  It's even more of a challenge and responsibility for your aircraft because you are part of fires support.

Congrats, enjoy a couple days off because I know you had to work hard.  And they're probably salivating to get you on the schedule.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Flying Razorback on July 08, 2015, 08:08:14 am

YES!!!!  AWESOME!!!

Very proud of you man, that's a huge accomplishment.  I had instructed for years at pilot training, but actually being an instructor now in an operational warplane is an entirely different level.  It's even more of a challenge and responsibility for your aircraft because you are part of fires support.

Congrats, enjoy a couple days off because I know you had to work hard.  And they're probably salivating to get you on the schedule.

Yessir.  The two training companies on Fort Rucker were fighting over me and a few of my classmates.  AH-64D IP strength overall in the Army is hovering somewhere around 60% of what they need.  At Fort Rucker (Army flight school), they have 50% of their allocated TDA slots filled.  We're hurting as a community.  They cut warrant officers too hard three years ago on the promotion board.  Now, we're paying the piper for that.

john c

Congratulations from all the jealous "wannabes" on Hogville.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: The Chief on July 08, 2015, 11:53:20 am
Yessir.  The two training companies on Fort Rucker were fighting over me and a few of my classmates.  AH-64D IP strength overall in the Army is hovering somewhere around 60% of what they need.  At Fort Rucker (Army flight school), they have 50% of their allocated TDA slots filled.  We're hurting as a community.  They cut warrant officers too hard three years ago on the promotion board.  Now, we're paying the piper for that.

We are getting hit bad as well.  They're cutting crew ratios to try and spread everyone out to fill the bases at the "new" 100% level, or at least as close as they can get.  At the same time, the entire fixed wing community is leaving in droves at the end of their commitment heading to the airlines.

With the continued Iraq, Afghanistan, CENTCOM, AFRICOM commitment and it's growing every year...  Almost everyone I know is heading out.  Some will stay with the guard and reserves, but most I know are making a clean cut from the military. 

There's no way to quickly replace that experience that takes a decade of flying to gain.  The rumors of "Stop Loss" are already making their rounds which is chasing people out even quicker so they can get an airline line number and be safe from being stuck.

bvillepig

Congratulation I am sure on a job well done. I admire and respect the service you guys do.