Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ready to fly again

Started by theFlyingHog, January 03, 2015, 09:45:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

theFlyingHog

I have two flights(long solo x-country and ten solo night landings at controlled field) and I can test for commercial. I have 300 hours and my instrument ticket. No college but strongly considering going back. I keep hearing how the only way to get hours these days is to instruct. Money doesn't grow on trees for me so would my best bet be to get my CFI and just start building time? I'll be going through Central again, if they still exist

theFlyingHog

gotyacovered

HA! been pretty quiet in here, largely my fault. been very busy.

to your original question... i have (had) a five year plan to get to 1500TT... not gonna happen, goal was set when i got my ticket 02/2012. i feel like i fly a lot and that is only 10-12 hours a month. i just busted 400TT and if you take out the time my plane is down (best guess)...

since 09/2011
1 month prop re-seal 11/2011
3 month annual 2012 (due to back ordered parts, mx incompetence)
2 month annual 2013
1 month annual 2014
4 months for new engine prop 05/2014-09/2014

that is 11 months... if i avg 120 a year (which is my avg including these down times) i would be talking about busting 500 hours a month ago, not 400... my point?

its hard. even if everything went right i would be ~250 short at the halfway point.

i go completely out of my way to fly everywhere i can... to build hours, it takes time!!! all stuff i am sure you know...

i went thru a consulting gig recently on an aviation risk who was hiring a new pilot--i was there advising how the company would evaluate the hours and the min training they would require.

i saw 4 resumes and two things were very clear...

1. those 5kTT pilots are hard to find for a light twin gig (at 5kTT they wanna be in a KA at the least, or a jet--unless you pay really good, money talks.
2. the 1500TT are very easy to find... lotsa CFI/CFII hours. they would basically fly for living expenses.

BTW, the risk i am talking about ended up hiring a qualified (meaning no additional training or insurance expense), but less than 2kTT pilot for about $15k less than they were paying the 5kTT pilot. (5LTT pilot was over qualified and under paid, in my opinion). 

so in the longest possible way i could answer... i think yes... CFI is the best time building method. that and working on ratings and flying EVERYWHERE.

best of luck.
You are what you tolerate.