Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Norvell

Started by snoot hoggy hog, September 16, 2017, 01:03:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight_K_Shrute

Every page this thread gets to increases the chances of Norvell being hired by 10%.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

31to6

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on October 25, 2017, 01:28:52 pm
I would hire Norvell over Venables. To have success here you need to have an offensive minded HC IMO.
I don't think an offensive-minded HC is a requirement. What we need, though, is a HC that is brilliant at handling one side of the ball. This is important because it means you will have a top scheme with schematic continuity as assistants change. What I think we cannot do as well with in this day and age is a pure CEO HC. With that model you have to get both "hit" on a DC and an OC at the same time that are top quality and keep them *both* together long enough to build some continuity. We can't pay a HC $4M and then pay two coordinators $1-2M each like a true blue-blood. So we are going to see turnover at both positions on the staff. But, with a HC that owns either the O or the D and puts their identity and has a lot of focus on the scheme you ensure that you have consistency on at least one side of the ball. Also, if your HC is a brilliant offensive or defensive mind, it is much easier to keep him in the barn than if your OC/DC is brilliant--that brilliant OC/DC is not going to stick around forever once people start calling with multi-million $ HC jobs.

Venables has been around long enough and been in enough of the right programs that he would be able to attract a high quality OC to run that side of the ball. He is also a DC who has been successful at schools with high-tempo offenses--so he is unlikely to be the kind who would insist on slowing down the Offense to prop up the Defense. So he would likely not be averse to bringing in someone to install an up-tempo / spread type offense while he builds a defense in his image.

I would be ecstatic with either hire (Norvell or Venables). Neither is a "sure thing" but the history of established P5 head coaches trying to replicate success at a new school isn't exactly stellar either. Indeed, repeated success at multiple stops is pretty rare. Urban Meyer and Nick Saban are top notch anomalies. Lots of the time the magic can never quite be recaptured at the new job because of differences in conferences, conditions, recruiting landscape, staff composition, etc.

hawgon

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 25, 2017, 03:10:16 pm
It would make a lot of sense to hire Norvell which means we probably won't.

We ARE Arkansas.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: 31to6 on October 25, 2017, 03:14:58 pm
I don't think an offensive-minded HC is a requirement. What we need, though, is a HC that is brilliant at handling one side of the ball. This is important because it means you will have a top scheme with schematic continuity as assistants change. What I think we cannot do as well with in this day and age is a pure CEO HC. With that model you have to get both "hit" on a DC and an OC at the same time that are top quality and keep them *both* together long enough to build some continuity. We can't pay a HC $4M and then pay two coordinators $1-2M each like a true blue-blood. So we are going to see turnover at both positions on the staff. But, with a HC that owns either the O or the D and puts their identity and has a lot of focus on the scheme you ensure that you have consistency on at least one side of the ball. Also, if your HC is a brilliant offensive or defensive mind, it is much easier to keep him in the barn than if your OC/DC is brilliant--that brilliant OC/DC is not going to stick around forever once people start calling with multi-million $ HC jobs.

Venables has been around long enough and been in enough of the right programs that he would be able to attract a high quality OC to run that side of the ball. He is also a DC who has been successful at schools with high-tempo offenses--so he is unlikely to be the kind who would insist on slowing down the Offense to prop up the Defense. So he would likely not be averse to bringing in someone to install an up-tempo / spread type offense while he builds a defense in his image.

I would be ecstatic with either hire (Norvell or Venables). Neither is a "sure thing" but the history of established P5 head coaches trying to replicate success at a new school isn't exactly stellar either. Indeed, repeated success at multiple stops is pretty rare. Urban Meyer and Nick Saban are top notch anomalies. Lots of the time the magic can never quite be recaptured at the new job because of differences in conferences, conditions, recruiting landscape, staff composition, etc.
Nice post.

ricepig

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 25, 2017, 03:11:57 pm
Every page this thread gets to increases the chances of Norvell being hired by 10%.

Uh, no, with HV's propensity to pick the correct coaching hires, it goes down 10% with every page.

Paul

I'd be ecstatic with Venables or Norvell

bosshog84

Quote from: ipigsooie on October 25, 2017, 11:18:03 am
Plus his argument is just downright dumb. We can inly hire a coach with more than 2 years experience at a p5 school that is currently successful. That really limits the choices.

Right! So let's hire the next Bret Bielema, which is what this philosophy got us 5 years ago.

Tusks

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 25, 2017, 03:10:16 pm
It would make a lot of sense to hire Norvell which means we probably won't.

I know it makes 'perfect sense'.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Paul

WPS2k18

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on October 25, 2017, 03:01:35 pm
I understand your cautious view but if the season plays out & Norvell has taken Memphis to a 10 plus season I feel Norvell should be considered a leading candidate.

AGREE give him a shot!
Im calling it now... Hogs 2047 National Champs.

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 11:59:52 am
That was kind of my point, no coaching hire " makes perfect sense ". People are acting like it is a slam dunk that Norvell would come in here and start winning a t a good clip. He might, heck he might come here and win a NC, but his hire does not "make perfect sense" because he has 21 games as a HC, has not yet had to play with a team that was all his own recruits.
Sounds to me like you are just arguing semantics.

snoblind

Does Memphis also have a young up and coming AD?  Maybe we could get a deal.

:)

NaturalStateReb

He's going to be Ole Miss' #1 target, from what I hear.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

hawgon

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 25, 2017, 03:54:40 pm

Yeah, like a guy with options is going to jump into that crap show.  Lol. They may as well start looking for another girls high school basketball coach.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 25, 2017, 03:54:40 pm
Wouldn't surprise me at all. Maybe their sanctions will be severe enough to keep them from being a player.

LRHawg

I think the Ole Miss chatter is just because of its proximity to Memphis. I don't see much upside with associating yourself with that school right now, maybe that will change once all sanctions are known, but right now he isn't going there. Why risk it when your reputation is as up and coming?

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Wildhog on October 25, 2017, 02:54:43 pm
He got his ass beat by Frost?  :)

Frost took a program in shambles and has them undefeated so far in his second year.  Norvell took over a winning program and continued winning.  That's the difference.

Not sure I would say that is was in shambles. I mean they did go 0-12 in 2015 but the 3 years before that they had won 31 games. They had lost 21 SRs and had the third youngest team in the FBS. Lost their OC and DC and the entire defensive staff but the DL coach. They had a DB that got shot and wasn't able to play. Lost their most experienced DL and WR to injuries before the season. Also lost 2 JRs to the draft. Lost their starting RB in the first game and dismissed another due to failing a drug test. The starting center retired before the 3rd game due to injuries and their starting QB also fractured his hand in the 2nd game and missed the following 3. And in the 3rd game of the year had a starting WR go out with a PCL tear who caught 14 balls for 152 yards and 2 TDs. Then the coach resigned after 8 games.

It was just an extremely unlucky year.

Also remember the Georgia Tech game had to be cancelled this year.

And to clarify I'm fine with either of them.

31to6

Quote from: Wildhog on October 25, 2017, 02:54:43 pm
He got his ass beat by Frost?  :)

Frost took a program in shambles and has them undefeated so far in his second year.  Norvell took over a winning program and continued winning.  That's the difference.
Frost is an excellent candidate also, but the conventional wisdom is that he is a lock for Nebraska.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: piglet mignon on October 25, 2017, 11:23:42 am
They haven't scored an offensive TD in 3 games

Yeah. And he will be fired at the end of the year.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Bebop

Quote from: tusked on October 25, 2017, 11:45:33 am

You can lead a horse to water but you .........

can't make him bathe himself?  ;D

Seriously, I'm intrigue with Norvell. I need to research some more on him. He has been on my list for a replacement.

FATHAWG08

Might not be the best display of football in those conditions.
[/quote]Welcome to 2017 Arkansas Football
I love off season Football!!

FATHAWG08

Quote from: jjdlc on October 25, 2017, 02:24:53 pm
I would take Norvell, I don't care about his inexperience.  Our current situation proves beyond a shadow of a doubt there are no sure fire hires in CFB.  Anybody with half a brain would look at CBBs resume when we hired him, and think that whatever school hired him made a heck of a hire.  However, we all know the outcome.
You roll the dice with every hire. But you don't give him a 15 million buyout when he has a losing record.
I love off season Football!!

hawgbawb

I think our best chance of getting a really good coach is going to be a young up and comer like Norvell. 

That's how we got Broyles.

Reality it that Arkansas is probably not that attractive to a top-flight, established coach.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

TrueBlue

How does this get moved to General Sports?

I guess the mods don't like Norvell?

clutch

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 02:50:17 pm
Exactly 4 full seasons after he took over a program that had won 1 and 2 games the prior 2 seasons. Norvell took over a program that had won 10 and 9 games the prior 2 years.

Not relevant to the conversation, but funny fact. After the bad 2013 season, Nutt was seriously about to get the Memphis job as soon as the 2014 season ended if Fuente didn't turn it around. This was told to me by a pretty high level Memphis booster at the beginning of the 2014 season, and again by a kid that Nutt was recruiting to play for him in 2015 at Memphis, even though he didn't have the job yet. Fuente went on to rattle off 10 wins and that whole situation changed quickly. Memphis Football would be in an entirely different place today if that were to have happened.

Paul

Quote from: TrueBlue on October 25, 2017, 07:19:01 pm

precisely!

TScott562

The Hawg Marshal

Yeah I don't get why this one gets moved and some of those other garbage threads stay on MMQB.

Paul

it's a conspiracy! >:(

snoblind

Quote from: TrueBlue on October 25, 2017, 07:19:01 pm

It's been explained ad nauseam

arkansas proud77

Gus had only been a head coach for 24 games ,I think, when auburn hired him.  His first year was in national championship game.  I say give norvell a shot.

clutch

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 10, 2017, 12:21:39 pm
No offense, but you say this about this coach and many would say the same about "their" guy.  People often support the guy they can draw an association with, I met him, he recruited my buddies son, etc. 

I get what you are saying, but I get the opportunity to meet a lot of you up and coming coaches, and watch them talk football. He just happens to be one of the ones that I have been most impressed with. I met him when he first took the Memphis job. I remember thinking at the time when Fuente left that Memphis football was about to crash back to reality, but I decided to stick around and see what the new guy was all about. That opinion changed quickly after I got the chance to see him talking football. I knew he was sharp then. After he was done he sat around and talked with anyone who wanted to talk with him for a while. After talking with him after the presentation, you left there knowing that the guy would be able to recruit.

There's been a lot of younger coaches that I've seen that I really like, and a lot that I've seen that I wouldn't want anywhere near the Hogs program. Norvell just seemed to have that "it" factor. He could come in and completely flop, but I don't think he would. You never know with the younger coaches, but you never know when hiring an established coach either. Not many people thought Bielema would fail as much as he has. There were people who didn't like the hire because of his offensive style, but not many thought he would just flat out fail. So you really never know what you are going to get. If you can get a guy like Norvell, who will have an extremely reasonable price tag and basically no buyout, it's not near as big of a risk. If it isn't working in 3 years, you cut bait. If it does work, and it is a guy like him who may truly want to be at a place like Arkansas for a long time, then you've hit gold.

clutch

Quote from: hogsanity on October 10, 2017, 02:33:06 pm
Never have I said that, I have said they can be a 8 win a year program, but if you are expecting 9+ every year you are in for disappointment time after time after time.

As for Norvell, what did you think of the pasting UCF gave them? Why are you not on Frost? Seems like you'd be after the guy who beat the guy you think is so good.

I like Frost a whole lot. I just don't think he's as reasonably possible to get as Norvell, so I wouldn't want to get too excited about getting him. I just don't see any way he is available after the Florida and Nebraska hires. Not that I think those programs are much better jobs than Arkansas, just that he is a lot more likely to go there because he has built a reputation in the state of Florida already, and he's a Nebraska legend.

RedRock

Quote from: Paul on October 25, 2017, 03:27:36 pm
I'd be ecstatic with Venables or Norvell

Right now I would be ecstatic with just a firing

Paul

Thanks to the mods for moving this thread back from General Sports

duckman

Quote from: hawgon on October 25, 2017, 03:03:39 pm
Man, he even could heal some wounds.  A big contingent of the boosters want an Arkansas man, while presumably Long and a few others might be wary of hiring someone like Malzahn who is too connected.  Enter, Norvell.  A guy who is Arkansas (the state) through and through but didn't go to Fayetteville so he isn't explicitly connected to any group.  He could bridge the gap and satisfy everyone.

We get someone who knows, loves, and appreciates our tradition and job.  But we also get someone who is a bit of an outsider and not too close to any group.

Go ahead and remove Long from your equation...

cjack

Quote from: RedRock on November 14, 2017, 08:19:45 pm
Right now I would be ecstatic with just a firing

Yes! ! Me too. The longer we go without one, the more I feel like he has a chance to stay.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

MissippHog

I don't care if they fire CBB tomorrow, this Sunday or next Friday.  But someone damn sure needs to be talking to some agents behind the scenes.  Let them know they are "our man" (I hope it's Norvell.)