Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OFFICIAL post your picks thread (sports investing)

Started by WILL CLINTON, August 28, 2011, 09:41:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blutoblutarsky

Blutoblutarsky

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on September 03, 2012, 06:02:01 pm
How do you guys like Washington @ lsu -22 this weekend?

Night game in baton rouge. Lsu looked less than dominant this past week against north texas. While Washington beat San Diego St 21-12.

Lsu usually gets up for big night games. Washingtons defense is supposedly revamped after a terrible last year.

Thoughts?

Bet your account on LSU.

Dr. Starcs

Kinda what I'm thinking bluto. I know they only beat north tx by 27, but I'm thinking they will be out to prove a point Saturday, especially after seeing what bama did to michigan.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on September 03, 2012, 06:02:01 pm
How do you guys like Washington @ lsu -22 this weekend?

Night game in baton rouge. Lsu looked less than dominant this past week against north texas. While Washington beat San Diego St 21-12.

Lsu usually gets up for big night games. Washingtons defense is supposedly revamped after a terrible last year.

Thoughts?

liking LSU -22.  Night game for LSU.  You can revamp a Defense but if you still have a majority of the same guys starting you can only improve so much... LSU oughta run all over them. 

Quick question, how much does 1 unit mean for yall?

Dr. Starcs

I was wondering the same thing Huckleberry.
Thanks for the thoughts.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on September 03, 2012, 07:40:25 pm

$10...I only bet what I can afford to lose since I'm such a crappy bettor (approx 40% career record).
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on September 03, 2012, 07:40:25 pm
liking LSU -22.  Night game for LSU.  You can revamp a Defense but if you still have a majority of the same guys starting you can only improve so much... LSU oughta run all over them. 

1 unit for me is a hundo, and generally is in most cases. However to some one unit is 10.00 or a grand.  Just depends.
Let's make some waves.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on September 03, 2012, 08:00:16 pm
1 unit for me is a hundo, and generally is in most cases. However to some one unit is 10.00 or a grand.  Just depends.

or a milli if you're mr. mayweather

Huckleberry Pig

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: LGHOG on September 03, 2012, 08:26:14 am
We need to petition Lanny to start a new forum for handicapping. Sound like a good idea?

YESSSSS

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on September 03, 2012, 08:44:37 pm
YESSSSS

Trust me guys, I started campaigning for this about 3 or 4 years ago. It isn't happening. I kind of like it being allowed to be posted in MMQB anyway, because even if someone isn't betting they're more tempted to post in this thread anyway. If it gets moved, we wouldn't get anyone's opinion but our own, over, over and over, and over, and over.

I like being able to gather the different opinions and thoughts. It works better this way IMO.

I'm also not liking many spreads this week. Outside of Georgia, there may only be 3-4 more games I even look at.
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: WILL CLINTON on September 03, 2012, 10:00:54 pm
Trust me guys, I started campaigning for this about 3 or 4 years ago. It isn't happening. I kind of like it being allowed to be posted in MMQB anyway, because even if someone isn't betting they're more tempted to post in this thread anyway. If it gets moved, we wouldn't get anyone's opinion but our own, over, over and over, and over, and over.

I like being able to gather the different opinions and thoughts. It works better this way IMO.

I'm also not liking many spreads this week. Outside of Georgia, there may only be 3-4 more games I even look at.

Didnt think about that Will.  Good points.  And after quickly skimming the lines I was thinking the same thing.. How do you feel about the LSU spread Will?

WILL CLINTON

some of you are fixing to be really happy, or really sad in the next few mins.

Now isn't the time to get conservative if you're a gambler

bsking

Just saw this thread, I don't venture into MMQB that often but these were my week one pics:

Vandy +7.5 win
Wagner +17.5 win
Hawaii +40 win
MSU -8 loss
Navy +15 loss

I usually bet 5 games per week.  I generally like picking home dogs, I just go with my gut.  I don't really bet for the money, just to give me interest in games I would not care about otherwise.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on September 03, 2012, 10:17:18 pm
Didnt think about that Will.  Good points.  And after quickly skimming the lines I was thinking the same thing.. How do you feel about the LSU spread Will?

I don't like the LSU game. I'm not saying that they can't win by 23, but I just don't feel comfortable with that game. Washington barely beat San Diego, so I think the spread is set up for most of the public to jump on LSU. I typically like to go the other way when I see this type of line after either team plays a bad game. There is no way I would put money on Washington +23, and as explained above, there is no way I would put money on LSU -23, so it is a no bet.

I'll be more into it this week, and should have some good feelings by Tuesday/Wednesday.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: WILL CLINTON on September 03, 2012, 10:22:00 pm
some of you are fixing to be really happy, or really sad in the next few mins.

Now isn't the time to get conservative if you're a gambler

Wow, 3 times in a week for some of you...

Jeff, hasn't been a good week for you in close games. All they had to do was run a real play and get it in the EZ. They were on the 1 foot line. Sorry bro, but next week can't be this bad.

Quote from: WILL CLINTON on September 03, 2012, 10:32:05 pm
Wow, 3 times in a week for some of you...

Jeff, hasn't been a good week for you in close games. All they had to do was run a real play and get it in the EZ. They were on the 1 foot line. Sorry bro, but next week can't be this bad.

Man worst week I have had in years.  Glad it's over.  Oh well just get geared up for next week.  It happens. Never like it when it does though :)
Let's make some waves.

McKdaddy

My track record betting UGA has been terrible (of course, my overall record is poor, ha).  Any game over the past 4-5 years that UGA won but didn't cover, has my fingerprints on it.  You couldn't try to bet a team worse than I have UGA.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: McKdaddy on September 04, 2012, 08:11:01 am
My track record betting UGA has been terrible (of course, my overall record is poor, ha).  Any game over the past 4-5 years that UGA won but didn't cover, has my fingerprints on it.  You couldn't try to bet a team worse than I have UGA.

Just bought a point and took Georgia at -2.5  -  $50 bet

Hooch

Quote from: Hooch on September 03, 2012, 05:08:11 pm
Me too but I got a teaser Va Tech -1.5 and over 41

Stupid Ga Tech QB, don't throw an INT in OT.  if they kick the FG Va Tech score the TD and boom I cover both.

WILL CLINTON

Really liking Florida +1.5 @ TAMU.

Also keeping an eye on the Wyoming v Toledo matchup. Toledo started out a 2.5 point favorite, 70% of the money is coming in on Toledo, but the line has moved to Wyoming -3.

Pitt opened up as a 2 point favorite v Cincy, and now the line has shifted to Cincy being a 4 point favorite. I'm liking Pitt in this one because I think the line opened at a place that encouraged MANY bets on Cincy due to Pitt's poor showing against Youngstown St.

Honestly don't see much more I am liking. I saw some curious line movement in the Houston v La Tech game, but I'll have to dig a little more before I put it down as a lean, much less a pick.

Huckleberry Pig

Ya'll bet any NFL games?

I am a die hard cowboys fan but I bet the Giants at -4.  It is at giants stadium, they will be hangin the banner, fans and players will be pumped, that place is gonna be electric.  Can't think of the last time a team went in and beat the defending super bowl champs at their home stadium for the season opener.

Love my Cowboys, but I just dont think they get it done.  And after all the years of watching them choke leads away, maybe this time I can at least get paid for the pain I will inevitably feel. 

yraciv

September 04, 2012, 06:25:03 pm #822 Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 06:26:51 pm by yraciv
Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on September 04, 2012, 12:55:29 pm
Ya'll bet any NFL games?

I am a die hard cowboys fan but I bet the Giants at -4.  It is at giants stadium, they will be hangin the banner, fans and players will be pumped, that place is gonna be electric.  Can't think of the last time a team went in and beat the defending super bowl champs at their home stadium for the season opener.

Love my Cowboys, but I just dont think they get it done.  And after all the years of watching them choke leads away, maybe this time I can at least get paid for the pain I will inevitably feel. 

Just hope the Giants don't win by 3! I think that is a pretty good bet with the Giants being at home and Witten likely sitting.  There is a lot riding on it both ways though with that kid's future fandom at stake.

I'll bet 1 or 2 games in the NFL a week, and historically have a better record there. My heart is in college football though, so I feel I know more and that usually gets my action.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: yraciv on September 04, 2012, 06:25:03 pm
Just hope the Giants don't win by 3! I think that is a pretty good bet with the Giants being at home and Witten likely sitting.  There is a lot riding on it both ways though with that kid's future fandom at stake.

I'll bet 1 or 2 games in the NFL a week, and historically have a better record there. My heart is in college football though, so I feel I know more and that usually gets my action.

Well if anyone is interested I bet the Patriots at -6 vs the Titans.  I dont think the Titans have what it takes to keep up with the Pats.  I dont think the Pats blow them out but I am expecting a 7-13 point win here for the Pats. 

Also picked up the Houston Texans at -12 vs Miami.  I know -12 is a big spread but Miami very well may be the worst team in the league this year.  Poor running game, rookie qb that wasnt even proven in college, and no targets for that qb to throw to.  They are also going against a top 5 defense.  Think Houston wins by at least 2 TD's here. 

widespreadsooie

Why is A&M favored? I really like Florida +1.5. I figured Florida would be around a 3 point favorite.

Quote from: razorback1 on September 05, 2012, 08:09:55 am
Why is A&M favored? I really like Florida +1.5. I figured Florida would be around a 3 point favorite.
Florida may be really bad.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: Karma on September 05, 2012, 08:14:55 am
Florida may be really bad.

I know. I'm really worried about their QB/offensive situation. However, I don't see how one could be any more confident in A&M's QB/offensive situation. If you look at defenses, well Florida is supposed to have a top ten, if not five, D this season so I gotta like 'em here catching a point and a half.

Not playing the Giants / Cows tonight.  Despise the cows so much it clouds my judgement. 
Let's make some waves.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: bsking on September 05, 2012, 09:09:28 am
Georgia -2 is in the bank.

wow, i got them at -2.5 and had to buy a point. if the giants cover tonight and i win my bet, i might put some more money on this one

Huckleberry Pig

whats with mississippi state this year? They are favored by 3 against Aurburn and we are only favored by -6.5 against Mississippi State.  They must have a better team than I thought

LGHOG

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on September 05, 2012, 08:55:01 am
Not playing the Giants / Cows tonight.  Despise the cows so much it clouds my judgement.

Totally agree.

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on September 05, 2012, 09:18:49 am
whats with mississippi state this year? They are favored by 3 against Aurburn and we are only favored by -6.5 against Mississippi State.  They must have a better team than I thought

Don't put too much into lines as far out as miss st and Arkansas.  Much could change between now and then.
Let's make some waves.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on September 05, 2012, 09:44:14 am
Don't put too much into lines as far out as miss st and Arkansas.  Much could change between now and then.

Agreed.  Was surprised to see them favored over Auburn though

Blutoblutarsky

I don't know if I want to touch tonight's game. The Giants were piss poor early last year, they didn't get hot until later in the season. Dallas +4 seems tempting. O/U at 45.

bsking

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on September 05, 2012, 09:17:07 am
wow, i got them at -2.5 and had to buy a point. if the giants cover tonight and i win my bet, i might put some more money on this one

My site's line was -3 yesterday, and I decided to get on today before it moved to -4 or -5 and saw it had moved to -2.

Maybe a guru can explain that to me but that seems crazy to me.

Not claiming to be a guru, but will give some facts.

Dallas Cowgirls lines are always skewed.  They are never an accurate line.  Reasons

#1. Cowboy fans are delusional and will put money on them no matter the line.  Vegas makes a KILLING on cow fans all the time.

The cows " so called America's team". Have a huge following from one country to our south.  They have bookies as well with ties to Vegas.  When they get more than they can handle they run the rest thru the big boys so as not to lose their ass.

#2. Cow fans have people that bet on them when they will bet no other games all season, or any other sport.

Vegas is in the business they are to make money and nothing else.  Get a huge group I emotional suckers and they smile.

The cows may win tonight, but the oddsmakers will make a killing on cow fans before seasons end.
Let's make some waves.

Quote from: bsking on September 05, 2012, 12:27:04 pm
My site's line was -3 yesterday, and I decided to get on today before it moved to -4 or -5 and saw it had moved to -2.

Maybe a guru can explain that to me but that seems crazy to me.

Money and injuries move the line.  I mean big money.  Not the 100.00 per game player.  Not even the 1000.00 player. 
Let's make some waves.

Dr. Starcs

September 05, 2012, 05:24:55 pm #838 Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 11:04:58 pm by Dr. Starcs
*edit*

Surprising win tonight by the 'boys.

bsking

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on September 05, 2012, 05:21:44 pm
Money and injuries move the line.  I mean big money.  Not the 100.00 per game player.  Not even the 1000.00 player. 

Just can't wrap my head around why the "big money" would be on Mizzou +2.  I like home dogs as much as the next guy but come on.  I'd have expected this spread to be 7.5.

Quote from: bsking on September 05, 2012, 05:51:03 pm
Just can't wrap my head around why the "big money" would be on Mizzou +2.  I like home dogs as much as the next guy but come on.  I'd have expected this spread to be 7.5.

A lot of that may be the unknown factor.  Georgia has Been erratic at best for years.  Never know what team is going to show up.  I agree however that I would take Georgia, and probably will.  Odds for teams Missouri and A&m ply may go higher as the year goes on.  Right now everyone should be fresh for both teams.  Let's see how well the tigers are doing physically in 6 or 7 weeks.

Still a ton of unknowns in college ball in week 2
Let's make some waves.

Also when I replied earlier I thought you were talking about the line in the cowboys and Giants.  My apologies there.
Let's make some waves.

widespreadsooie

Huckleberry Pig

last night was the best $50 i've ever lost.  The addition of Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne really made a huge difference from last years team.  It allowed the Cowboys D to not worry about the receivers and focus on pressuring the QB and stopping the run.  Night and day difference from last years D. 

Offense looked much better than I expected too.  O Line still needs some work but if Demarco Murray can stay healthy and we can have a solid run game to open up the passing game, this will be a very good Cowboys team.

Still very early, but I like what I saw and think we are much better than we were last year.

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on September 06, 2012, 08:46:00 am
last night was the best $50 i've ever lost.  The addition of Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne really made a huge difference from last years team.  It allowed the Cowboys D to not worry about the receivers and focus on pressuring the QB and stopping the run.  Night and day difference from last years D. 

Offense looked much better than I expected too.  O Line still needs some work but if Demarco Murray can stay healthy and we can have a solid run game to open up the passing game, this will be a very good Cowboys team.

Still very early, but I like what I saw and think we are much better than we were last year.

Didn't help the G-men that they were playing with 4th and 5th corners on the field all night.
Let's make some waves.

Let's make some waves.

Dr. Starcs

Yeah, because Dallas o-line was in such great shape.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on September 06, 2012, 10:07:59 am
Yeah, because Dallas o-line was in such great shape.

Exactly....scary at times last night, ha.

Blutoblutarsky

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on September 06, 2012, 09:38:04 am
On the Bearcats tonight -4 /  2 unit play.

I hope your right, over 80% of bet coming in on Cincy, 5 Pitt starters are back for this game, plus Pitt playing with a fire lit under their arse

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on September 06, 2012, 09:37:32 am

Didn't help the G-men that they were playing with 4th and 5th corners on the field all night.

Don't get me wrong, that helped big time.  But this is the NFL, thats how it goes.  Cowboys were still finally able to establish a running game and thats what ended up hurting the G-men the most.  Cant bring a full on pass rush when you have to also watch for the run.  Infact there were several times that Murray had a nice hole because the Giants D-ends would come in too aggressive.  Once their pass rush was minimized, Romo had time to throw and we were able to pick on those 4th and 5th corners.