Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where have Bielema's assistant coaches landed so far ?

Started by kennypig, January 25, 2018, 07:47:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 26, 2018, 12:28:35 pm
Kiffin seems to be doing pretty good after having failures early in his career and then spending a few years learning from Saban.

Beyond Kiffin, can you think of coaches failing miserably as a head coach at one school then being very successful at another?

I can't at the moment...but their may be some out there.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

sowmonella

Quote from: twistitup on January 27, 2018, 06:49:29 am
Beyond Kiffin, can you think of coaches failing miserably as a head coach at one school then being very successful at another?

Saban was 25-22-1 in his first four years at Michigan State.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

oldhawg

Ken Hatfield was 26-32-1 at the Air Force Academy (although I would not consider him a failure there, he did beat Notre Dame three years in a row), and was 55-17-1 at Arkansas.

oldhawg

Lo

Lou Holtz was 13-20 at William & Mary, and 33-12-3 at North Carolina State.

oldhawg

Kirk Ferentz was 12-21 at Maine, and is 143-97 at Iowa.

Actually there a quite a number of successful coaches who did not fair so well in there first head coaching job.

1highhog

Quote from: WaltonCollege on January 25, 2018, 11:30:21 pm
Everyone also took a step down in their profession. No lateral movements, (Mizzou is a step down from our program). Outside of Enos that crew really isn't good.

I don't know where you see that, well I do actually and I agree with you.  But on the field they have been busting our balls.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: sowmonella on January 27, 2018, 08:37:53 am
tbf, the team doc was diddling all the players, so...
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: oldhawg on January 27, 2018, 09:53:03 am
Kirk Ferentz was 12-21 at Maine, and is 143-97 at Iowa.

Actually there a quite a number of successful coaches who did not fair so well in there first head coaching job.
Pete Carroll comes to mind.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

26.2Hog

Quote from: sowmonella on January 27, 2018, 08:37:53 am

Just a note - Saban took over a team that had not had a winning season in five years, and was also under NCAA sanctions for recruiting violations.

PonderinHog

I haven't felt any tremors or heard any loud thuds, so I don't think KA or BB have landed anywhere yet.

twistitup

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 27, 2018, 11:06:10 am
I haven't felt any tremors or heard any loud thuds, so I don't think KA or BB have landed anywhere yet.

Heard his house sold and he's moving to a lease place...he's looking to land somewhere
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hogfanny

Quote from: redeye on January 25, 2018, 10:00:04 pm
Now ESPN gives him credit.
spot on Redeye. And there are still people who will tell you that there is not a major negative media agenda (mainly yankee) against anything Arkansas.

))

Al Boarland

bkjbearcat

Well Tom Hayes retiring as K-States Defensive Coordinator. Something tells me Bert lands there next week.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article197011309.html
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 25, 2018, 11:11:19 pm
Enos to Bama, Herbert to Michigan.

According to the HV collective genius these guys couldn't coach.

Waiting for KA to land somewhere surprising and excuses flow like water.

You loved that 4-8 did ya?   So every coach we had was a good coach?  Why 4-8?  You also supported Bielema.  Are you blaming the players?

JS22

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 25, 2018, 09:42:16 pm
Anderson may get a position with Harp's Bakery. Only hold up is loss prevention has to sign off on the hire
🤣🤣🤣

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: IronHog on January 26, 2018, 11:31:31 am

OC to QB coach is a HUGE drop off.

The offense played a huge role in several of the meltdowns

This is true and probably the main reason BB was fired, too many game where the offense came out flat in the second half.

HeathWimp

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 29, 2018, 07:52:17 am
You loved that 4-8 did ya?   So every coach we had was a good coach?  Why 4-8?  You also supported Bielema.  Are you blaming the players?

There are still people on this board who support Nutt, and thought he shouldn't have been fired.  We'll see Bilemers for years to come, saying we should have given him more time.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 29, 2018, 07:52:17 am
You win with Jimmy's and Joes.  Bret didn't recruit well enough.  Play in the SEC, lose you top RB, CB, OL & WR, plus your starting QB for 4 games and see how that works out for any team.   Lack of leadership in the locker room hurt as amuch as anything.  But to say those guys didn't know how to coach is ignorant.

Keep in mind we hired a coach that was 15-22.  You think it was the players or the coahces at SMU?

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on January 29, 2018, 08:31:31 am
You win with Jimmy's and Joes.  Bret didn't recruit well enough.  Play in the SEC, lose you top RB, CB, OL & WR, plus your starting QB for 4 games and see how that works out for any team.   Lack of leadership in the locker room hurt as amuch as anything.  But to say those guys didn't know how to coach is ignorant.

Keep in mind we hired a coach that was 15-22.  You think it was the players or the coahces at SMU?

Coaches recruit the jimmy and joe's but that isn't the end of the story, only the beginning.  All of our coaches were complicit in the failings.  And it wasn't a one Year thing it was five years.

arthurhawgerelli

Nick Saban was 33-24 at Michigan State.  That's usally not necessarily failing miserably, but compared to his record at Bama, it is.

HeathWimp

I think Bert's staff knew how to coach, but they were below average.  Throw in poor recruiting, an antiquated system, and the injuries you mentioned, and you have the turd that was the 2017 Season.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

hogcards

I take it there's no demand for Bielema after the mess he left here? 

What a shocker.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

HeathWimp

Quote from: hogcards on January 29, 2018, 08:49:42 am
I take it there's no demand for Bielema after the mess he left here? 

What a shocker.

I know, right?  You'd have thought he was the second coming of Knute Rocke and Vince Lombardi's love child, they way some people on here stuck up for him!

hogcards

Quote from: HeathWimp on January 29, 2018, 09:04:26 am
I know, right?  You'd have thought he was the second coming of Knute Rocke and Vince Lombardi's love child, they way some people on here stuck up for him!

...but he just needed more time.  ;)
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

HeathWimp

Pig in the Pokey

WRONG. WRONG . WRONG>

The staff was terrible. we have 27+ 4*s on this team. Thats PLENTY of talent to win more than 4 games. The staff is 100% to blame. And ESPECIALLY if they really failed to recruit enough "Jimmys and Joes". Such a stupid saying.

justmakeit2thebcs

January 29, 2018, 10:48:17 am #77 Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 11:05:21 am by justmakeit2thebcs
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 29, 2018, 09:46:35 am
WRONG. WRONG . WRONG>

The staff was terrible. we have 27+ 4*s on this team. Thats PLENTY of talent to win more than 4 games. The staff is 100% to blame. And ESPECIALLY if they really failed to recruit enough "Jimmys and Joes". Such a stupid saying.
Off course they are to blame, thats why they got fired.  Do you blame Morris for going 15-22 at SMU or do you have excuses?

27+ 4* ??  Per 24/7 composite it was 19.  Only 6 of those started and 2 of those missed considerable time.   Just for comparison, Bama signed 23 4+ stars & LSU 15 in 2017 alone.  Show me the talent..Agim, Ragnow, Froholdlt.  Who else on that roster will play in the NFL.   Bama has more NFL players redshirting than we have on our  whole team.

logic

It's good that most of the assistants have gotten other coaching position.  In my opinion, whether or not Bielema gets another coaching position it will not matter much in what we pay him.  I can't imagine any major college hiring him at anywhere near what he was paid at Arkansas.  I don't believe any P5 will hire Bielema as their head football, regardless of how little he will accept.  No P5 AD is as foolish as Long.

I think he can be the head coach at some smaller college and earn $500,000 to $1 million per year or else be an assistant coach at a major college with a similar salary. Likely his ego will not accept that and he will take the money and retire.

hogcards

Quote from: HeathWimp on January 29, 2018, 09:14:30 am
because he was building things "the right way." :)

I hope we've learned our lesson in regards to waiting on coaches to show improvement over 2-3 years.  But I have a feeling many haven't.

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona