Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Askew

Started by Prosciutto, July 21, 2007, 04:08:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Prosciutto

Is Askew as important as I think he is? We never seem to be as deep as we need to be at DT. Seems like our recruits never live up to there potential at this position. What are our chances of landing Askew, 50%?

501Ben

I think more than 50%, and yes he is crucial to this years recruiting class.

jbhicks

He is very important to this class, but we are on a lot of quality DL and DE's this year. He will be announcing his decision July 28. I am confident he will be a Hog. According to which interviews you have read he has OU, OSU, Texas Tech, and Tennessee is his final three, but we are the only school to be on every list his has given to reporters.

Oklahawg

What I've learned in a decade, or so, of trying to really follow how recruiting works...may not be worth a hill of beans. However, the consensus is that OL is the hardest to project (ie, most variable) because it takes them so long to see the field. If you find an OL ready-to-go (ie, Andre Smith at Bama or Duke Robinson of OU) then its a coup. The rarest commodity, though, is an impact DL. To get the physical skills plus agility is hard to come by. QB may be the flashiest position, and RB may be the most obvious skillset to the casual fan. But DL (especially the slobbernocker DT who plugs the middle and chases 'em down to the sidelines) is the position that gets the greatest push on the recruiting trail.

So, Askew is a huge priority in that he's a DL with good measurables. And, there IS a leg up for UA in that he's in state, being fed "rah-rah UA" stuff from the state's media. You don't get that in most states. (That's the only reason to pay any attention to that "build a fence" nonsense, imo.) If we are not on a top DL prospect by now we stand zero chance of landing him next February.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

pcrouch3809

At his combine, he listed as weighing 247 and he ran a 5.15 40.  He would have to put on a lot of weight and not slow down a whole lot. 

TMc

Word is .. good chance he'll be a Hog.  He's having a press conference in his home state. Kodi Burns is the only one I can think of having a press conference to go out of state.  Hopefully he will be a Hog.

Littlehog AR

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 21, 2007, 06:14:53 pm
How does the Texas guy with stats like his get rated a 4 star compared to Askew's 3 star. Look at Humphrey's vertical. That's pitiful

Jarvis Humphrey
- 4 star and verballed to Texas

Defensive tackle
Cedar Hill (TX) Cedar Hill

Ht: 6-foot-2
Wt: 290 lbs
Forty: 5 secs
Bench max: 305 pounds
Squat max: 520 pounds
Vertical: 20 inches

LaVunce Askew

Defensive tackle
Camden (AR) Fairview

Ht: 6-foot-3
Wt: 280 lbs
Forty: 4.83 secs
Bench max: 405 pounds
Bench reps: 36
Squat max: 450 pounds
Vertical: 28 inches
Shuttle: 4.65 secs
GPA: 3.2
ACT: 21

Actually Lavunce's numbers are way better. that other boy seems very week when you read Askew's numbers

Wu Tang Clan

How does the Texas guy with stats like his get rated a 4 star compared to Askew's 3 star. Look at Humphrey's vertical. That's pitiful

Jarvis Humphrey

Defensive tackle

LaVunce Askew

Defensive tackle
Camden (AR) Fairview

I would not put much stock in measurables on recruiting sites.  I have seen film of Humphrey, and he is a legit 4 star player.  He is better than Lavaunce Askew.  I think Askew is a solid player, but he is not on the same level as Humphrey.  Watch the film of the two players and you will see the difference. 

big john

Lavaunce Askew we would love to have you be a hawg my man  ;D
john goodwin

Bacon The Saddle Again

Yo, this ain't a dis on Askew.  I hope he's a hog and 450 lbs on squat is still very good for a high school player.  But the other guy did squat 70 pounds more and defensive line is more about leg drive than any other kind of strength.  So the other guy is heavier by 10 pounds and benches 70 more.  Those numbers are pretty impressive. 

That being said, there's also more to it than just numbers.  I think Askew can be dynamite and I want him to be a Hog.  But I don't know enough about the other guy to say he is or isn't a legit 4* just based on the few tangibles available to us.

Oklahawg

There is a simple explanation: two recruits who are identical but one is headed to Texas and one isn't? Well, the Texas recruit gets the higher rating. Its called "connections" and Bobby Burton is damn near a part of the UT staff.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: Oklahawg on July 21, 2007, 07:50:08 pm
There is a simple explanation: two recruits who are identical but one is headed to Texas and one isn't? Well, the Texas recruit gets the higher rating. Its called "connections" and Bobby Burton is damn near a part of the UT staff.

What you are saying happens all the time, and Arkansas has numerous commitments who would be ranked higher if they committed to Texas, but Humphrey is a 4 star player.  He is bigger than Lavaunce Askew and dominates the man in front of him.  Cruz Williams for example, is very comparable to Dan Buckner, and may be better.  Humphrey is more explosive and quicker to the ball. I am not saying that Lavaunce will not be a better player, but right now Humphrey is a better player.  If you watch Humphrey on film you will see what I am talking about.   

orgkeith

The best DL run under 5.0 in the 40.  Askew ran a 5.15 at a camp at less than 250 lbs.  Word is now he is over 270.  He is a good prospect.  He is also young and may grow some more.  Would maybe someday make an excellent OL with that kind of speed if we get better talent for the DL.

Oklahawg

Quote from: orgkeith on July 21, 2007, 08:50:47 pm
The best DL run under 5.0 in the 40.  Askew ran a 5.15 at a camp at less than 250 lbs.  Word is now he is over 270.  He is a good prospect.  He is also young and may grow some more.  Would maybe someday make an excellent OL with that kind of speed if we get better talent for the DL.

The formula for Jimmy Johnson at Miami still works: recruit DBs and turn them into LBs; recruit LBs and turn them into DEs; recruit DEs and turn them into DTs; recruit DTs and turn them into OL. That gets agility and speed at every position.

Prosciutto

Quote from: Oklahawg on July 21, 2007, 10:32:40 pm
Quote from: orgkeith on July 21, 2007, 08:50:47 pm

The formula for Jimmy Johnson at Miami still works: recruit DBs and turn them into LBs; recruit LBs and turn them into DEs; recruit DEs and turn them into DTs; recruit DTs and turn them into OL. That gets agility and speed at every position.

I like that formula!

The Recruiting Guy

Askew will announce next Saturday. I'll be shocked if it's not Arkansas.

1longshot

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on July 21, 2007, 07:21:54 pm

Jarvis Humphrey

Defensive tackle

LaVunce Askew

Defensive tackle
Camden (AR) Fairview

I would not put much stock in measurables on recruiting sites.  I have seen film of Humphrey, and he is a legit 4 star player.  He is better than Lavaunce Askew.  I think Askew is a solid player, but he is not on the same level as Humphrey.  Watch the film of the two players and you will see the difference. 

seems to me that the big difference is his squat ability

pcrouch3809

How does he claim to weigh 280 now and run a 40 way faster than he did at 247 lbs. 

jackflash

I thought Arkansas was using Jimmy formula a little bit. Both of these players are good. I will take Askew in a minute, would give us two DT this early. could see the Razorbacks take as many as four DT. What about this kid from Alabama who listed 6-6 300 Pd's, can't remember is name would like someone with that kind of size.

Prosciutto

Quote from: pcrouch3809 on July 22, 2007, 02:27:25 am
How does he claim to weigh 280 now and run a 40 way faster than he did at 247 lbs. 

Good question. I never worry about the 40 times for a lineman. If they say he is athletic, thats good enough for me. These 40 times for all positions are never accurate.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: Oklahawg on July 21, 2007, 10:32:40 pm

Or in Jamaal Anderson's case recruit a large 2-star WR with speed and turn him into a heck of a DE.

cardfan33

i saw lavaunce this weekend at softball tournament in camden and from what he said to me he will be a hog

Bomis Hawg

Didn't Bartley Webb had a PC at Springdale?

Having those DT that will just cause havoc are a rare breed.  You like those like Keith Jackson, Jr., that are good run stuffers are nice, but having production from that position in sacks and getting to those speedy RBs are great.

Askew is a need.  He could grow into a stud lineman.  Question is, will they allow that to happen and let him redshirt.  Worked well for Anderson.