Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jim Youngblood's thoughts on Peyton Manning's QB camp

Started by The Recruiting Guy, July 20, 2007, 01:48:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Recruiting Guy

July 20, 2007, 01:48:23 am Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 03:06:25 pm by Richard Davenport
Jim attended the Peyton Manning QB camp over the weekend. I talked with Jim yesterday and here's what he had to say.

TRG: How was the camp?

Jim: It went good. I had a good time. I got to work with Peyton and Eli and I had a little one on one time with them.I got to spend some time with Mr. Archie and I enjoyed that. There was I want to say over 1300 kids. It was definitely the biggest camp I've been to. I learned a lot and I feel like I got better.

TRG: Tell me about the typical day.

Jim: We usually got up about 7 am. We ate breakfast and we had practice from 9 to 11, I believe. We then eat lunch for an hour and we then come back and practice from 2 to 4 and we would go back and eat dinner. We then would have 7 on 7 games at night. When that was done they had a college curriculum and a pro curriculum. The college players and coaches would tell you a little bit about the college life and playing college football and the atmosphere and all the things you have to do. Then the pros would do that and a couple of nights Peyton would have his on individual deal where he would go over defenses and the kinda things they do and stuff he felt like we needed to work on.

TRG: Besides the Manning's who else was there?

Jim: There was Jim Sorgi  Peyton's backup. The QB from Texas A&M Jerrod Johnson. He's a RS freshman and a kid from Miss St. I can't remember his name. The coach that I worked with is the QB coach for the Rams. I would say there was 100 to 150 college and pro players and coaches.

TRG: You said that you got better. What did you learn?

Jim: When I got down there I was expecting to learn a bunch of new drills and different stuff to work on but they did the basic drills but they helped with your mechanics. Like the three step drops and the five step drop and sprint outs. What they do is to make sure your basic stuff is flawless. They make sure you don't have any mistakes in your mechanics. That way you can get the ball to where it needs to be.

TRG: With what you've learned at the camp have you noticed any improvement?

Jim: I've only been back a couple of days and can already see the difference that it's made. I work out every morning and every night getting ready for two a days and with the things I've use with the drills I already that Coach Lee gave me. I can tell the ball is coming out my hand a lot quicker and a better spiral. It just feels a lot more comfortable.

TRG: When we talked a few days ago about the progressions and how you guys worked on that. Tell me about that.

Jim: Peyton is one of the best the best at finding open receivers and knowing who's covered and who's open. We would have ten receivers out in the middle of the field and you would have to scan the whole field and find the receiver with his hands up and that was the one you had to throw it to. It was drills like that and we had to read a lot of defenses.

It's all about getting better and Jim is definitely trying to do that.

hawgtahm

That's some good work, both Jim's work and your work Richard. Thank you.

Go Hogs!

0515hv

Good work, Richard.  Glad to hear that he's having fun and learning some things.  Can't wait for Jim to get on campus.

Wehm55

This is a very good read. May I ask a stupid question? What does TRG stand for?

Been Pumping Sunshine since I was born.

jabohog

TRG = The Recruiting Dude...ur Guy. Was his name when he first started incognito.

ColumbianHog

"The coach that I worked with is the QB for the Rams."

Does he mean Marc Bulger??? Only one of the 5 best QBs in the NFL!  Impressive!

OLD DOC

Hogstocking

I can only imagine how exciting it would be for a high school QB to meet and get coached by Peyton Manning.   

Lanlord

Quote from: Wehm55 on July 20, 2007, 08:22:58 am

In my book it's The Recruiting Guru.

kitshicker

I heard the interview with Jim on Sportsrap a few days ago. I love this kids attitude!!

kimjongsqUeAl

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

hawgwash

Quote from: Lanlord on July 20, 2007, 11:07:47 am
Quote from: Wehm55 on July 20, 2007, 08:22:58 am

In my book it's The Recruiting Guru.
The Recruiting god.

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: OLD DOC on July 20, 2007, 10:23:26 am
it was the qb coach for the Rams

Sorry about that guys. I had a long day and was typing up the interview early this morning. I felt bad about posting it a day late but got tied up.

Oklahawg

Now, if we could just have 10 WR in the pattern....

That drill sounded like a good one.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Shocktheman

PigPusher

With his name Youngblood he even sounds like the all American Quarterback.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.