Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speaking of letters to Jeff Long . .

Started by 26.2Hog, November 06, 2017, 02:35:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Poor Max, he's lost these days since he doesn't have anybody that he knows to write about, or nobody elected, anyway.

EastexHawg

Where can I get one of those Jeff Must Go bumper stickers?  I'll save it as a souvenir when he gets the boot, right beside my "Arkansas has terminated head football coach Houston Nutt" champagne cork.

It's about time the heat started getting turned on in the direction of the man who deserves it most...Long.

bkjbearcat

I listened to Kansas City talk radio and many here are talking about KU's AD Sheahon Zenger could be shown the door with Beaty at season's end. Many in KU don't trust Zenger and his football hires, Charlie Weis and Beaty. Could be an easy out for Long if Zenger is out. Just throwing it out there.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawgsalot

One of the dumbest things I've ever read. You guys hard up for JL have a hole in your head.  Look some coaches don't work out but he hired the most winningest coach ever to be hired at AR, there was no reason to think he would fail this bad.  I just don't get all this Jeff Long hate, I'm a booster and he's always treated me with the utmost respect, answered calls, come to local events and never shied away from questions.  He's a business man and this is big business and he more than respected in the industry.  Firing him would be typical Arkansas stupidity period.

GuvHog

Quote from: hawgsalot on November 06, 2017, 03:48:27 pm
One of the dumbest things I've ever read. You guys hard up for JL have a hole in your head.  Look some coaches don't work out but he hired the most winningest coach ever to be hired at AR, there was no reason to think he would fail this bad.  I just don't get all this Jeff Long hate, I'm a booster and he's always treated me with the utmost respect, answered calls, come to local events and never shied away from questions.  He's a business man and this is big business and he more than respected in the industry.  Firing him would be typical Arkansas stupidity period.

If one took a deep look into Bret's tenure at Wisconsin instead of just looking at his record, it would be pretty obvious to them that he wouldn't work out at Arkansas.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

zerose

The 200 some odd page agenda that the BOT will have over the next two days does not include anything about Long's contract. I'm thinking it will be closed door or perhaps tabled till season end. If I am thinking correctly his current contract expired this summer. I suppose there is also a possibility that they do nothing at all and then could possibly terminate without cause, due to the fact the contract is expired. Just some thoughts...
Peering inside the magic crystal 8-ball in the dark confines of a spider hole.

razorbackfaninar

November 06, 2017, 04:07:19 pm #9 Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 04:40:42 pm by razorbackfaninar
Quote from: GuvHog on November 06, 2017, 03:54:55 pm
If one took a deep look into Bret's tenure at Wisconsin instead of just looking at his record, it would be pretty obvious to them that he wouldn't work out at Arkansas.

Why would you look at his tenure at Wisconsin and assume he wouldn't do better here with better caliber athletes better facilities and more resources. I'm not saying you're wrong,  I'm legitimately  wondering what it is about his time at Wisconsin that would lead you to believe he would be a bad fit here.  I agree he has not panned out, but I think I have looked over his time at Wisconsin pretty thoroughly and I don't see it.   

GuvHog

Quote from: zerose on November 06, 2017, 04:00:20 pm
The 200 some odd page agenda that the BOT will have over the next two days does not include anything about Long's contract. I'm thinking it will be closed door or perhaps tabled till season end. If I am thinking correctly his current contract expired this summer. I suppose there is also a possibility that they do nothing at all and then could possibly terminate without cause, due to the fact the contract is expired. Just some thoughts...

I believe in order to vote on Long's contract, they will have to go into Executive session which would not be listed on the agenda. I look for them to do just that.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hoggish1

One of the dumbest things I've ever read. You guys hard up for JL have a hole in your head.  Look some coaches don't work out but he hired the most winningest coach ever to be hired at AR, there was no reason to think he would fail this bad. 

Long doesn't understand that WI had to have a strong, football savvy AD to make BB go.  The problem is Long does not fit that bill...

Hoggish1

Quote from: GuvHog on November 06, 2017, 03:54:55 pm

What WI doesn't want is someone who can't take orders from Barry.  The current guy fit that bill and so did his predecessor.

ricepig

Quote from: zerose on November 06, 2017, 04:00:20 pm

Any discussion will occur during the executive session on Thursday at 8:45, and we probably won't know any details, unless some one leaks it.

razorbackfaninar

I think you and I may be in the distinct minority here, but I can't see the issue with Long either.  Bielema definitely hasn't panned out, and I get that folks are mad about that, but two months ago people were foaming at the mouth that Long needed to go because of the huge buyout.  When that turned out to be a incorrect interpretation of the contract, people were still saying he needed to be fired?

rude1

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 06, 2017, 04:07:19 pm
Why would you look at his tenure at Wisconsin and assume he wouldn't do better here with better caliber athletes better facilities and more resources. I'm not saying you're wrong,  I'm legitimately  wondering what it is about his time at Wisconsin that would lead you to believe he would be a bad fit here.  I agree he has not panned out, but I think I have looked over his time at Wisconsin pretty thoroughly and I don't see it.   
Never built a program before, was handed the keys by Alvarez who then monitored him to make sure he didn't screw it up. You don't want a guy who doesn't understand the SEC attempting a total rebuild in it. Was terrible against the top half of his previous conference and benefited that those programs where in turmoil and or on probation, so he could then brag about his 3 rose bowls.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 06, 2017, 04:39:54 pm
I think you and I may be in the distinct minority here, but I can't see the issue with Long either.  Bielema definitely hasn't panned out, and I get that folks are mad about that, but two months ago people were foaming at the mouth that Long needed to go because of the huge buyout.  When that turned out to be a incorrect interpretation of the contract, people were still saying he needed to be fired?

The problem with Long is he has systematically changed the culture here. He took the throne from the man who hired him...John White. Harvard of the south...the Dixie Ivy league..

We promote higher learning, turning out young men who will be accepted into seminary...we teach a culture of softness. And that is exactly what Jeff Long has brought here. He did it at Pitt and them dudes still ain't climbed out of it.

I am all for good grades, all for good kids....but it isn't going to work in the SEC. You gotta have some dangerous dudes mixed in amongst the good ones.

Jeff Long changed the culture and that is why people come down on him.

PRJ

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: rude1 on November 06, 2017, 04:54:52 pm
Never built a program before, was handed the keys by Alvarez who then monitored him to make sure he didn't screw it up. You don't want a guy who doesn't understand the SEC attempting a total rebuild in it. Was terrible against the top half of his previous conference and benefited that those programs where in turmoil and or on probation, so he could then brag about his 3 rose bowls.

We didn't exactly need an entire rebuild.  We were one year removed from 11 win season and winning the cotton bowl.  One year (2012)with John L. Smith was bad but didn't even really ding recruiting as we were ranked 23rd in 2013.  So I don't see the rebuild so much.  He had been running a successful program at Wisconsin for 7 years. in those 7 seasons he won 2 of 7 with OH State, 5 of 7 with Michigan, 3 of seven with Michigan state and 4 of seven with Penn State.  He wasn't terrible against the powers in his conference.  His losses were 1 in 2006 (Big 10 coach of the year), 3 in 2007, 5 in 2008, 3 in 2009, 1 in 2010, 2 in 2011 and 5 in 2012.  Those may not be Saban type numbers but there's no reason to look at those numbers and think that he couldn't at the very least replicate that at Arkansas. He produced 4 consensus all american's at Wisconsin in 7 years.

razorbackfaninar, it is my opinion that AD Long didn't research the history of Arkansas or the history of Bret.  Arkansas just doesn't get the cream of the crop recruits especially on the offensive and defensive lines.  There is not a coach out there that doesn't understand your team usually goes depending on those lines.

A power run Guy totally depends on the o-line smashing the opposition and we have never had nor are we likely to ever have consistent superior lines.  Without great linemen, Bret is a non factor even if that was his only problem.  All these other things that he Ain't are icing on the cake to disaster.

Jeff Long was in a position of great power at the time he hired Bret.  He had just fired a wayward HC, was the toast of the NCAA and that made some very smart folks make the foolish move to allow Jeff do the hiring of the new HC.  At that point in time, Jeff Long was in way over his head, with no life jacket and much lead tied to his feet.  He proved you cannot sink the ship but hes come really close.  I don't know his business acumen but I hope someone(s) is looking over the GREAT JOB he is doing with the construction project. 

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 06, 2017, 05:39:57 pm
The problem with Long is he has systematically changed the culture here. He took the throne from the man who hired him...John White. Harvard of the south...the Dixie Ivy league..

We promote higher learning, turning out young men who will be accepted into seminary...we teach a culture of softness. And that is exactly what Jeff Long has brought here. He did it at Pitt and them dudes still ain't climbed out of it.

I am all for good grades, all for good kids....but it isn't going to work in the SEC. You gotta have some dangerous dudes mixed in amongst the good ones.

Jeff Long changed the culture and that is why people come down on him.

PRJ

Are you seriously saying Jeff Long made our football team soft because he values education?  He isn't recruiting these players.  How is he creating a culture of softness.  I'm not saying the team isn't soft, maybe they are, but I can't see how that is Jeff Long's responsibility

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: 12247 on November 06, 2017, 06:16:06 pm
razorbackfaninar, it is my opinion that AD Long didn't research the history of Arkansas or the history of Bret.  Arkansas just doesn't get the cream of the crop recruits especially on the offensive and defensive lines.  There is not a coach out there that doesn't understand your team usually goes depending on those lines.

A power run Guy totally depends on the o-line smashing the opposition and we have never had nor are we likely to ever have consistent superior lines.  Without great linemen, Bret is a non factor even if that was his only problem.  All these other things that he Ain't are icing on the cake to disaster.

Jeff Long was in a position of great power at the time he hired Bret.  He had just fired a wayward HC, was the toast of the NCAA and that made some very smart folks make the foolish move to allow Jeff do the hiring of the new HC.  At that point in time, Jeff Long was in way over his head, with no life jacket and much lead tied to his feet.  He proved you cannot sink the ship but hes come really close.  I don't know his business acumen but I hope someone(s) is looking over the GREAT JOB he is doing with the construction project.

I think there was good reason to believe at the time based on the Linemen recruits that Bielema was getting at Wisconsin he would be able to replicate that here. I didn't just spring to life last month.  I was around during the time the Bielema was hired and it's just getting a little old with everybody now saying they KNEW Bielema was a bad hire at the time.  I seem to remember a lot of people being very excited at the hire, and I'm telling you based on the stats and what he had done at Wisconsin there was no reason to believe it was anything other than a good hire at the time.   

EastexHawg

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 06, 2017, 06:22:16 pm
I think there was good reason to believe at the time based on the Linemen recruits that Bielema was getting at Wisconsin he would be able to replicate that here. I didn't just spring to life last month.  I was around during the time the Bielema was hired and it's just getting a little old with everybody now saying they KNEW Bielema was a bad hire at the time.  I seem to remember a lot of people being very excited at the hire, and I'm telling you based on the stats and what he had done at Wisconsin there was no reason to believe it was anything other than a good hire at the time.   

Nice attempt at trying to make the point that the people who were right about Bielema from the very beginning were somehow wrong then about his Big 10 system not working at Arkansas and are still wrong now.  Why are they wrong?  Because some of you say so.