Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

B. Allen

Started by hoggusamoungus, August 11, 2017, 12:33:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoggusamoungus

Went 5/7 for 85 yds with a TD and no picks last night for the Jags.  QBR of 151.8.

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!

HamSammich

He will end up starting at some point. Old Tom doesn't play the high draft pick start game.

BatesvilleHOG

I think he could very well start a quarter or half way into the season. He's better than Bortles IMHO

BigE_23

Quote from: HamSammich on August 11, 2017, 09:40:03 pm
He will end up starting at some point. Old Tom doesn't play the high draft pick start game.
Not to say that he won't or couldn't someday start, but the fact is he hasn't beat out Henne for 2nd on the depth chart yet.

sickboy

Quote from: BigE_23 on August 12, 2017, 12:21:28 am
Not to say that he won't or couldn't someday start, but the fact is he hasn't beat out Henne for 2nd on the depth chart yet.

Maronne isn't going to give Brandon Allen the #2 spot. He's going to keep Henne in there because Henne has so many years under his belt.

The problem is Allen is constantly exceeding expectations for a late round QB.

My guess is that once they ditch Bortles, which they will absolutely do after this season if Bortles doesn't live up to expectations, Allen will get a shot at the #1. If he can't win the top spot, he'll move to a 2.

RagingHawgOn

Allen is in great shape. Look for great things ahead.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: sickboy on August 12, 2017, 12:47:22 am
Maronne isn't going to give Brandon Allen the #2 spot. He's going to keep Henne in there because Henne has so many years under his belt.

The problem is Allen is constantly exceeding expectations for a late round QB.

My guess is that once they ditch Bortles, which they will absolutely do after this season if Bortles doesn't live up to expectations, Allen will get a shot at the #1. If he can't win the top spot, he'll move to a 2.

I hope you are right, but this sounds so much like Mallett at NE. "Should move into the #2 ready to start when the time comes." It never did.

I think BA is more level headed than Mallett, so he may not fail to rise to the occasion.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

alohawg

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 12, 2017, 02:28:38 am
I hope you are right, but this sounds so much like Mallett at NE. "Should move into the #2 ready to start when the time comes." It never did.

I think BA is more level headed than Mallett, so he may not fail to rise to the occasion.

Nothing to think about, BA is undoubtedly more level headed and just keeps getting better. I expect him to get his chance to start sooner than later and do well.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Hogopolis

Next year when Austin Allen is in the NFL Arkansas will have three QB's in the NFL.   Dan Enos should be able to sign any QB he wants. 

Hogs49ers

His TD was an extremely amazing pass, he put it right on the money and had some nice velocity on it for a bomb down the field, see video below:

https://twitter.com/ChatSports/status/895826067486904320

Side note:  Does anyone know how to embed the video or full tweet instead of just the link?  I know that it used to automatically show the full tweet if you posted the twitter link, but not anymore.
SCREW Vandy!

gchamblee

Quote from: Hogs49ers on August 12, 2017, 07:49:12 am
His TD was an extremely amazing pass, he put it right on the money and had some nice velocity on it for a bomb down the field, see video below:

https://twitter.com/ChatSports/status/895826067486904320

Side note:  Does anyone know how to embed the video or full tweet instead of just the link?  I know that it used to automatically show the full tweet if you posted the twitter link, but not anymore.

i think they removed the plugin for performance reasons

sickboy

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 12, 2017, 02:28:38 am

Honestly... and I would have never thought I'd say this... but Brandon Allen has just been a better NFL QB than Mallett. Mallett's problem isn't talent. He has the talent. His problem is consistency. I'm guessing Allen being the son of a coach who grew up breaking down defenses probably helped BA.

Allen is consistent as a cold. He's shown way more potential up to this point in his career. I think Allen's going to build enough trust where a coach is going to be willing to rely on him with the #1 spot. Allen could end up being that QB who lasts a long time in the NFL just because he's dependable. He may not be a hot rod like Aaron Rogers... but he's just Mr. Reliable.

alohawg

Quote from: sickboy on August 12, 2017, 12:58:55 pm
Honestly... and I would have never thought I'd say this... but Brandon Allen has just been a better NFL QB than Mallett. Mallett's problem isn't talent. He has the talent. His problem is consistency. I'm guessing Allen being the son of a coach who grew up breaking down defenses probably helped BA.

Allen is consistent as a cold. He's shown way more potential up to this point in his career. I think Allen's going to build enough trust where a coach is going to be willing to rely on him with the #1 spot. Allen could end up being that QB who lasts a long time in the NFL just because he's dependable. He may not be a hot rod like Aaron Rogers... but he's just Mr. Reliable.

For some reason he kinda reminds me of Alex Smith, but a potentially better version.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

KlubhouseKonnected

Blake Bortles is not as horrible as the Jags make him look btw
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

nchogg

BA never came apart after big hits like RM did.

HamSammich

Quote from: nchogg on August 12, 2017, 02:25:17 pm
BA never came apart after big hits like RM did.

Not the biggest BA fan on the board but that is spot on. He took some hits rocky wouldn't have gotten up after.

Hog Fan...DOH!

The back half of his senior year was as good as you'll ever see a QB play. 

sickboy

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 12, 2017, 01:57:12 pm
Blake Bortles is not as horrible as the Jags make him look btw

This is probably true. Bortles has potential and he shows flashes. But following that logic for minute or two... what does that mean BA could be if he were a Patriot?

ChitownHawg

Nothing for me to argue with here. I agree.

I also give props to Enos for helping BA his senior year.

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

daBoar

Quote from: HamSammich on August 12, 2017, 02:28:12 pm
Not the biggest BA fan on the board but that is spot on. He took some hits rocky wouldn't have gotten up after.
Argh.  BA had a great senior year at Arkansas. Has always been a team guy, and continues to shine.  How can anyone not be a fan.

HamSammich

Quote from: daBoar on August 12, 2017, 05:23:36 pm
Argh.  BA had a great senior year at Arkansas. Has always been a team guy, and continues to shine.  How can anyone not be a fan.

You really shouldn't worry about people that simply have a different opinion than yourself. You are taking years off your life with stress man. I have my reasons from watching film. Not changing. Tough ass young man though.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: sickboy on August 12, 2017, 04:06:58 pm
This is probably true. Bortles has potential and he shows flashes. But following that logic for minute or two... what does that mean BA could be if he were a Patriot?

Means he would probably produce. Jacoby Brisset even had a decent game last year if I recall.

The Jags offensive line was absolutely miserable last year, which at least in part contributed to them having a miserable run game. Made it easy for defenses to work Bortles over, that's why once games were out of hand you would see Bortles start to produce numbers against prevent, it's not that he is incompetent, it's that when defenses were playing keys he was the only key that they needed to play.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: daBoar on August 12, 2017, 05:23:36 pm

I'm a fan but BA had about 3/4 of a season worth of outstanding play out of three seasons as the starter. If I recall right BA had a hard time being a closer until the 2015 OT win against Auburn. If he had that killer instinct when the year started we would not have lost to Toledo.

presidenthog

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 12, 2017, 07:20:46 pm
I'm a fan but BA had about 3/4 of a season worth of outstanding play out of three seasons as the starter. If I recall right BA had a hard time being a closer until the 2015 OT win against Auburn. If he had that killer instinct when the year started we would not have lost to Toledo.

Ridiculous. Blame that big bad Pittman o line that had 100 yards rushing total. Not BA's 410 passing. Sheesh.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: presidenthog on August 12, 2017, 07:28:37 pm
Ridiculous. Blame that big bad Pittman o line that had 100 yards rushing total. Not BA's 410 passing. Sheesh.

Toledo? I agree it should not have needed to rest on Allen's shoulders to win the game on the final play but I have almost no doubt in my mind that if you could reset that moment to the way Allen was after the Auburn game, Allen does not overthrow that last pass that would have won the game.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: HamSammich on August 12, 2017, 06:09:00 pm
You really shouldn't worry about people that simply have a different opinion than yourself. You are taking years off your life with stress man. I have my reasons from watching film. Not changing. Tough ass young man though.

Then I guess you won't stress just because the guys watching film for the Jags have a different opinion than you.   :)   

HamSammich

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on August 12, 2017, 07:40:38 pm
Then I guess you won't stress just because the guys watching film for the Jags have a different opinion than you.   :)

I've already said I think we will end up starting in the NFL thread. He has beefed up some huge weak spots in his game. Still doesn't make me care a whole lot for him. I'm not going into some ba bashing post. Just my opinion and no it doesn't bother me.

bennyl08

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 12, 2017, 07:32:09 pm

Toledo? I agree it should not have needed to rest on Allen's shoulders to win the game on the final play but I have almost no doubt in my mind that if you could reset that moment to the way Allen was after the Auburn game, Allen does not overthrow that last pass that would have won the game.

BA was the reason we were even in that game, but that's a throw that in any other situation or in the second half of the season, he makes.

I wouldn't be surprised to see BA start at some point this season for the jags, but consider me one of those people who thinks that Bortles can still be a good NFL starter. He did decently as a rookie starter. Made a huge jump his sophomore season, then he regressed a bit his 3rd season in what would effectively be a sophomore slump. He took fewer sacks last year, but also just didn't take as many chances downfield.

This year, their defense looks like it could be salty, Fournette has as good a chance of any for breaking the rookie rushing record. I think we are much more likely to see a resurgence from Bortles than BA starting. However, that's the "on paper" prognosis. Reports from training camps, his actual play in scrimmages and the limited time the opening preseason could all suggest that he might regress even more this season.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse