Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cubs

Started by lefty08, May 04, 2015, 07:34:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hog.goblin

Sucks that 2 of 3 best teams in baseball are already eliminated.  Awesome that the 1 survivor was the Cubs!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 14, 2015, 09:54:25 am
Sucks that 2 of 3 best teams in baseball are already eliminated.  Awesome that the 1 survivor was the Cubs!

My two least favorite teams in the NL have always been the Dodgers and the Mets; not sure why but they are.  Behind the Cardinals, my favorite NL team is the Cubs.  I've been to Wrigley for games probably 6-7 times and love the place.  Here's hoping they break the curse and win it all this year.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

pigture perfect

Congrats to the Cubs. I think they are a fun team to watch. Disappointed in the way things went with the Redbirds, but the Cubbies just played better.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

TheRazorback500

I'm happy for the city of Chicago that the Cubs are tasting some postseason success. The team shows patience at the plate and they play good defense for being so young.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Bigfoot

Cubs vs Mets.

Lester vs Harvey in game 1.

Should be a fun series.

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

pigture perfect

Lester is becoming the new Kershaw.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Bigfoot

Harvey was good last night.

Cubs did have some hard hit balls against him.

Schwarber has now hit a homerun in three straight October games.

ChicoHog

Arrietta is human I guess.  that's two consecutive games he has allowed runs. 

I think the Mets may be the team of destiny this year.  You just never know. Murphy is this year's version of Matt Carpenter.  Can't hit a HR off a lefthander and hits two off kershaw in the playoffs, hits another off Grienke and then tonight hits one off Arietta.  Dude is playing like superman.

clutch

Quote from: ChicoHog on October 18, 2015, 09:32:53 pm
Arrietta is human I guess.  that's two consecutive games he has allowed runs. 

I think the Mets may be the team of destiny this year.  You just never know. Murphy is this year's version of Matt Carpenter.  Can't hit a HR off a lefthander and hits two off kershaw in the playoffs, hits another off Grienke and then tonight hits one off Arietta.  Dude is playing like superman.

All the Mets needed was a little offense to take them from pretty good to very good. Their pitching is pretty dang deep. I'd put their starting rotation right there with the Cardinals.

lefty08

We are too dependant on the long ball right now, works in Wrigley sometimes, but in a park like Shea they need to shorten up and take the singles
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

ChicoHog

Quote from: lefty08 on October 19, 2015, 06:43:30 pm
We are too dependant on the long ball right now, works in Wrigley sometimes, but in a park like Shea they need to shorten up and take the singles
Shea is long gone. New stadium called Citi field.  but I know what you mean. 

Dodgers had same issue.  They led the NL in HRs but struggled in post season vs stellar pitching. I still believe the old adage that good pitching beats good hitting.  The Mets definitely have good pitching. 

lefty08

Quote from: ChicoHog on October 19, 2015, 09:18:35 pm
Shea is long gone. New stadium called Citi field.  but I know what you mean. 

Dodgers had same issue.  They led the NL in HRs but struggled in post season vs stellar pitching. I still believe the old adage that good pitching beats good hitting.  The Mets definitely have good pitching.

showing my age, thanks for the correction

hog.goblin

That would have been an RBI double in the 8th when Denorfia walked.  But the ump took a very low pitch and called strike three.  Garbage call when the Cubs need any help they can get.

GolfNut57

Down 3-0......Cubbies are toast.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

clutch

Quote from: GolfNut57 on October 20, 2015, 10:53:28 pm

Back to the future fooled everyone.

hog.goblin

Yep, not looking good

pigture perfect

National League games have been much more competitive in the LCS. The Cubs have at least been in each game, unlike the other series. Seems like with the exception of game 2 one team dominated the other.

hoglady

Quote from: GolfNut57 on October 20, 2015, 10:53:28 pm

You never know - remember the 2004 Red Sox / Yankees ALCS.
It can be done.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Bigfoot

Sure could use a four game winning streak right now.

GolfNut57

Quote from: hoglady on October 21, 2015, 06:30:23 am
You never know - remember the 2004 Red Sox / Yankees ALCS.
It can be done.

As a Red Sox fan of course I remember that 2004 series. But I don't see the Cubs pulling it off. Mets aren't going to lose four straight. Though I will allow it would be funny to see BOTH teams from NY pull off that dubious feat. lol
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

pigture perfect

I know it's early in this game, but even on Maddons face you can see defeat.

popcornhog

Great run Cubs. We look forward to a very heated NL Central race in 2016.
WPS

pigture perfect

Good season Cubs.

southarkhog06

This season far, far exceeded my expectations.

pigture perfect

That Mets pitching staff showed Chicagoans, what Gun Control really is. They had the young guns baffled and were really the difference. I'm really amazed that Lester and/or Arrieta were limited to a start apiece in this series.

Dropkick

Cubs used up all their emotion battering the Cardinals.

clutch

Quote from: Dropkick on October 22, 2015, 01:05:45 pm
Cubs used up all their emotion battering the Cardinals.

Don't think that's it at all. I think it's as simple as 2 things. They are young and streaky, and the mets pitching was great. Oh and Daniel Murphy, so I guess 3 things.

hog.goblin

I'm with clutch.

GolfNut57

The curse of the goat is ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!  :)

Bigfoot

Quote from: clutch on October 22, 2015, 07:26:59 pm
Don't think that's it at all. I think it's as simple as 2 things. They are young and streaky, and the mets pitching was great. Oh and Daniel Murphy, so I guess 3 things.

This sums it up well.

TheRazorback500

Great season Cubs! Good young team; I'm excited about their future. They need to try and bolster up the starting rotation over the winter.

Do you wanna get Rocked?

Dr. Starcs

One of the guys on postgame feels David Price will be a cub in 2016

GolfNut57

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 24, 2015, 04:22:23 pm

If Theo is given enough money to do it it could happen.

clutch

I hope so. He can't win a postseason start to save his life.

onebadrubi

So they want to improve their regular season but chaulk up that many L in post season?  Price and wrigley might not be the best combo.  Maddon and Price might try to make it happen though.

southarkhog06

We may have the best lineup top to bottom in the Bigs for the next few years, my worry is that Arrieta wont be able to repeat what he did this year and we wont quite have enough pitching, I do like our Bullpen though.

Bigfoot

November 08, 2015, 07:02:39 am #188 Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 10:34:13 am by Bigfoot
Quote from: southarkhog06 on November 06, 2015, 02:40:40 pm
We may have the best lineup top to bottom in the Bigs for the next few years, my worry is that Arrieta wont be able to repeat what he did this year and we wont quite have enough pitching, I do like our Bullpen though.

I doubt anyone repeats the stretch Arrieta had in the second half this year. If  he can keep command of his fastball next year, he'll be fine. His slider and curve are top–notch.

I expect the Cubs to add a big arm this offseason to bolster their starting rotation.

TheRazorback500

Congrats to Arrieta.

Do you wanna get Rocked?

southarkhog06

Big question for this year how do these young guys respond to having a target on their backs?

lefty08

I'm excited for the season! It's nice to be a contender before the season even starts, and to know these kids will be here for a long time makes it even better

lefty08

Our quest begins monday, but we have baseball tomorrow!  It's here!!!

southarkhog06

well so far so good.

TheRazorback500

Villanova product Matt Szczur (really, I looked it up) doubled in three runs last night. It's been a good week for the Wildcats.

Do you wanna get Rocked?

DiamondHogFan

Szczur is raking to begin the year.  If he can keep that up all year, this lineup is absolutely loaded from top to bottom with very capable reserves.  Looking GREAT so far.

southarkhog06

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on April 06, 2016, 09:29:28 am
Szczur is raking to begin the year.  If he can keep that up all year, this lineup is absolutely loaded from top to bottom with very capable reserves.  Looking GREAT so far.
he has been great thus far, I doubt he stays this hot but its nice to see. Why has he started over Soler and Schwarber anyway, are they banged up? Schwarbers defense and Solers bat not getting it done?

Bigfoot

Quote from: southarkhog06 on April 06, 2016, 11:22:04 am
he has been great thus far, I doubt he stays this hot but its nice to see. Why has he started over Soler and Schwarber anyway, are they banged up? Schwarbers defense and Solers bat not getting it done?

Soler was in the DH spot the last two games.

Schwarber did start one of the games. I'm assuming he sat out the second game due to the left handed pitcher they faced.

southarkhog06

Quote from: Bigfoot on April 06, 2016, 01:56:21 pm
Soler was in the DH spot the last two games.

Schwarber did start one of the games. I'm assuming he sat out the second game due to the left handed pitcher they faced.
you are right, I went stupid for a sec. I even remember arguing about the DH rule with my buddy who is a Royals fan while Soler was batting.

Either way, if Szczur's bat can remain even half this productive it would play huge dividends in Inter-League play and against leftys.

Biggus Piggus

29-7

Runs for/against, through three games.
[CENSORED]!