Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tracking the NASDAQ thru Fidelity Select Mutual Funds

Started by BigBrandonAllenFan, November 05, 2015, 06:43:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBrandonAllenFan

November 05, 2015, 06:43:40 pm Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 10:21:40 am by BigBrandonAllenFan
I figured what the heck, I'd go ahead and start somewhat of a NASDAQ trading educational thread tracking my timed buys.  Maybe I can help somebody make a dollar.  More importantly, maybe I can make a dollar.

My posts below are drafted from another thread here, and are the beginning of daily updates on my buys, sells and performance data.

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on November 04, 2015, 02:11:19 pm
Wednesday 11/4/15, appx 3pm>>
I just bought a mild portion Fidelity Select Gold (FSAGX) today.  The market closes in about 55 minutes, and gold has nose dived in the last two days, down to $1107 per ounce.  FSAGX should take a big dip at days end today.  Look for a quick rebound in the coming two weeks. 

Incidentally, this is the 5th time I have purchased this same fund since January, then sold it x4 now.

I'll put up a subsequent post with my closing purchase price today and will inform on the progress of the buy.
>>
Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on November 05, 2015, 12:26:28 pm
After close of market 11/4/15>
As I anticipated by the drop in raw gold price and a slightly down NASDAQ composite, Fidelity Select Gold dropped .30 cents to $14.10, down 2.08%, which is exactly what I played for...

If the price of the stock falls 5%, I'll double my investment.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/Fund/FSAGX?countrycode=US
>>
Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on November 05, 2015, 02:11:33 pm
11/5/15, nearing close of market>>
Now with 50 minutes to go in the week's trading, I went ahead and doubled my investment on Fidelity Select Gold, buying an equal amount I bought yesterday.  Gold has slumped $5.00 to $1103 per ounce since my buy yesterday, and the NASDAQ is down about 30 points, which means I should get a 1% to 2% drop in the stock price today, maybe more. 

The reason to double?>>>  If I paid $14.10 a share yesterday (as I did), then buy the same stock for $13.90 today, my actual cost per all shares drops to $14.00.  Given the fact the gold price is low right now overall and probably near bottomed out at $1100, it's a good situation.

11/5/15, after the Thursday Close>>
As further anticipated by the fact the NASDAQ composite was down late by 10 points and gold was down another $2, the Fidelity Select Gold fund (FSAGX) dipped another -0.48 cents today (-3.40%) to $13.62 a share. http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/fund/FSAGX

I paid $14.10 a share yesterday for the stock, and doubled the investment today at $13.62 a share.  My total investment for all combined shares is now $13.86 per share.

Rather than be behind on my original investment the 3.4% drop I took today, I am only behind 1.7% on the total investment.  (Just a note, if you study the graph closely, Fidelity Select Gold has had 5 days in the last 10 months of 7 to 9 percent upswings in a single day.  It has also had a few days of equal drops.  FSAGX is THE jagged line graph of all Fidelity Select mutual funds with quick, significant fluxes. If the price of raw gold shoots up forty to fifty dollars in a few days to around $1155, I'll quickly sell the investment for the quick profit, as the stock near mirrors the price of raw gold fluctuations... Just the same as I had done in the other thread here where I described and tracked my buy and sell (covering only 9 days) with the Fidelity Select Natural Gas fund.

;)

BigBrandonAllenFan

Friday, 11/6/15, 1030 a.m.> Gold just dropped $25 an ounce to $1086 an ounce in literally 10 minutes on the exchange.  If that holds, I will again double my total investment today.  NASDAQ composite is down 4 points.

If you look at the 6 month view on the graph, you can see the point that I am buying the stock.  That would be during a hard down turn.

The trick is, I bought in conservatively, which left me plenty of room to keep buying if the stock continued to decline, which it has.  If it quickly gained on my original buy, I would have taken the small investment profit and went on down the line.

$1085 is cheap for gold prices IMO.  The last time it dropped to $1085 was a couple of months ago, and that was a 9 year low I think it was.  This decline has matched that. I bought in with the same manner in that decline with a few daily doublings, and then quickly cashed out just a couple of weeks ago in the upswing before this mirror decline of that one.  I'm right back in the fund on the decline.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/fund/FSAGX

BigBrandonAllenFan

Friday, 11/6/15, 12 noon>>

I went ahead and doubled my total investment today on Fidelity Select Gold.  The NASDAQ is down slightly, and raw gold has locked in around $1088 in appears, down near $20 from yesterday.  I expect another 2 to 3 percent drop in the fund's price today, maybe a little more.

I first bought in Wednesday, doubled that buy on Thursday, and have now doubled that 2 day total today, Friday.

We'll see how it plays out to come.

BigBrandonAllenFan

In parable, Confucius say, "When going for a dip, step in ankle deep and test the water first, then go in up to your knees, then go waste deep.  That way, you don't jump right in over your head."

Well, I'm not sure Confucius said it, but I'm pretty sure my old grandpa, God rest his ornery soul, said it to me a time or two.

BigBrandonAllenFan

QuoteGold tanks after stronger-than-expected jobs report

By Myra P. Saefong and Mark DeCambre
Published: Nov 6, 2015 11:03 a.m. ET 
Metal looking at worst weekly decline since July

Gold futures dropped toward a three-month low after a better-than-anticipated jobs report made a December interest-rate rise look more likely.

December gold GCZ5, -1.39% lost $17.20, or 1.5%, to trade at $1,087 an ounce. Prices were set to log their lowest settlement since Aug. 5. For the week, they've lost about 4.7%, which would mark a third straight week of losses.

Friday's drop put gold on track to register seven straight declines, its longest such stretch of losses since July, when it dropped for 10 straight sessions. Earlier Friday, the yellow metal was modestly higher ahead of the jobs report.

Victor Reklaitis contributed to this report.

Buying the down side of the graph.  I may have to lock in for a while, maybe not, but I'll be there on the rebound either way. Kinda like Rodman.. Well, not really like Rodman, but you know what I mean.

ricepig

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on November 06, 2015, 01:01:53 pm
Buying the down side of the graph.  I may have to lock in for a while, maybe not, but I'll be there on the rebound either way. Kinda like Rodman.. Well, not really like Rodman, but you know what I mean.

If you have the staying power, you almost always will be right, haha. I remember buying sugar in the early 80's thinking it couldn't get cheaper, I think it went to around $.04/lb, haha.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: ricepig on November 06, 2015, 01:12:53 pm
If you have the staying power, you almost always will be right, haha. I remember buying sugar in the early 80's thinking it couldn't get cheaper, I think it went to around $.04/lb, haha.

Indeed, RicePig.

If gold drops below $1000, I could go down 15 to 20 percent and be forced to tie my money up for the long haul. 

But scared money is just that.  To make above the average returns, you have to trade in timely fashion, not just sit stagnant on a fund.  You can put your money on the Wall Street bench and watch the game go by, or you can put your money on the field and play.  Warren Buffet never left his money on the bench.

I like gold at this price for the long and short term.  Gold pretty much always has been, is still, and always will be the foundation of the world's monetary system, and I don't ever think we will ever see gold below $1000.

ricepig

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on November 06, 2015, 03:42:15 pm
Indeed, RicePig.

If gold drops below $1000, I could go down 15 to 20 percent and be forced to tie my money up for the long haul. 

But scared money is just that.  To make above the average returns, you have to trade in timely fashion, not just sit stagnant on a fund.  You can put your money on the Wall Street bench and watch the game go by, or you can put your money on the field and play.  Warren Buffet never left his money on the bench.

I like gold at this price for the long and short term.  Gold is still the base of the world's monetary system, and I don't ever think we will ever see gold below $1000.

http://www.kitco.com/charts/popup/au3650nyb.html

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: ricepig on November 06, 2015, 03:46:13 pm
http://www.kitco.com/charts/popup/au3650nyb.html

That is a scary chart for sure.

If you look at the 5 year performance on Fidelity Select Gold, the fund peaked about 4 1/2 years ago at $60.00 per share right along with the peak of raw Gold at $1900.00, and is now at appx $13.50 a share (don't have today's closing price on the fund yet).  That's enough to scare a ghost.  Yet, I have cashed solid profit playing FSAGX as a bottomed out fund.  Just give me some ripples and an occasional good wave in the graph.  That's all I need.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Friday after close of market, 11/6/15>

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on November 06, 2015, 11:55:41 am
Friday, 11/6/15, 12 noon>>

I went ahead and doubled my total investment today on Fidelity Select Gold.  The NASDAQ is down slightly, and raw gold has locked in around $1088 in appears, down near $20 from yesterday. I expect another 2 to 3 percent drop in the fund's price today, maybe a little more...

Fidelity Select Gold closed down another -0.49 cents, -$3.60%, to finish at $13.13 per share.

After today's double on the prior two days investments, I stand at an average cost of $13.49 per share, which puts me down on my total investment 0.36 cents a share, near about -2.6%.

Not uncommon at all when buying the drops to take a small loss at the start.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Monday, 11/9, closing price>

I got a 2% rebound Monday, (+ 0.26 cents), on the Fidelity Select Gold stock, which leaves my total investment on FSAGX only down appx 0.6%.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/fund/fsagx

BigBrandonAllenFan

Tuesday, 11/10 closing price on FSAGX>

Dropped 0.22 cents of yesterday's 0.26 gain, appx -1.6%, at $13.17 per share.  NASDAQ down slightly and raw gold up $2 from yesterday which is an encouraging factor.  The market was pretty flat as a whole.  Oil down further near $43 per bbl.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/Fund/FSAGX?countrycode=US

BigBrandonAllenFan

BigBrandonAllenFan

Wednesday 11/11 closing price on FSAGX>

Fid Sel Gold back up 0.16 cents to $13.33 per share.  Yoyo'ing the last few days. 

Raw gold down $2 bucks so far Thursady, US markets down across the board.  Oil down to $41.60 bbl.  That is about the cheapest oil has been in this present long trended down turn.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Thursday all US markets ended down and Fidelity Select Gold dropped 0.12 cents per share.

The good part for me, all US markets took a significant, larger drop also on Friday, but Fidelity Select Gold was up 0.07 cents.  Raw gold holding steady @ +$2.

A look at Friday's closing on some Fidelity funds I watch.  All losers except gold.  I've got a good feeling on a gold rally in the next couple of weeks.

Symbol   Price   .....Change........   % Change
FSAGX.....   13.28.......   +0.07..........0.53%
FSCSX.....   122.78......   -2.47........   -1.97%
FSUTX.....   64.99........   -0.24........   -0.37%
FSVLX.....   12.93........-0.04........   -0.31%
FSCGX.....   36.52........   -0.11........   -0.30%
FSRRX.....   8.37..........-0.02........   -0.24%
FDYSX.....   8.47........   -0.04   .......-0.47%
FNAPX.....   10.52   .........-0.08.......   -0.75%
FINUX.....   8.26........   -0.02........   -0.24%
FSLEX.....   19.21........   -0.08........   -0.41%

BigBrandonAllenFan

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/four-reasons-one-investor-thinks-gold-could-jump-this-year-2015-11-13

QuoteFour Reasons One Investor Thinks Gold Could Jump This Year

For many gold traders, the only story worth following is the one about the Federal Reserve and when it will increase the benchmark interest rate.

Not so for Frank Holmes, a longtime mining fund manager who is chief executive of U.S. Global Investors and co-wrote the 2008 book "The Goldwatcher: Demystifying Gold Investing." He currently co-manages the U.S. Global Investors Gold and Precious Metals Fund USERX, -0.20%

In an interview with MarketWatch, Holmes said four factors — shrinking real interest rates in the U.S., a dip in the dollar that led to a so-called "death cross" formation, a jump in the global purchasing managers index and signs of increased demand from China — suggest that gold could finish the year higher, perhaps as high as $1,350 an ounce, which would be about 25% above Thursday's close.

Today, that might be hard to fathom, as many investors are down on the precious metal, which is in its third straight down year and hasn't closed above $1,300 since 2014. Futures prices for gold GCZ5, +0.22% have lost more than 5% this month and on Thursday settled at $1,081 an ounce for the worst finish in more than 5 years.

Gold prices have fallen about 8% from the settlement of $1,176.10 on Oct. 28, the day the U.S. Federal Reserve said it would decide whether it's appropriate to raise the target range at its next meeting in December. The market's estimation of the odds of a hike in December, as calculated by the CME Group FedWatch tool, jumped in response.

Higher rates — they have been near zero for years — can be a headwind for gold, which doesn't bear interest. They can also lead to a stronger dollar DXY, +0.25% which often weighs on dollar-denominated commodities, such as gold.

Holmes, however, says he isn't particularly preoccupied with the Fed and its plan for nominal interest rates when it comes to looking beyond short-term moves in gold. Other factors that could already influence gold's outlook, he says, are already in play.

BigBrandonAllenFan

11/16/15, Monday>

US Markets up today just past the noon hour.  Somewhat surprising given the unrest in France.

Dow...........17,363.......+118.......0.68%
Nasdaq.......4,938.........+10.........0.21%
S&P500.......2,036.........+13.........0.64%
GlobalDow...2,358.........+1...........0.05%
Gold...........1,085.........+4............0.38%
Oil.............41.05.........+0.32

BigBrandonAllenFan

11/16/15, Monday, after the close>

Fidelity Select Gold finished up 0.09 cents (0.68%) to $13.37 per share.  That leaves me down 0.12 cents per share (0.92%) on last week's investment.

I'm happy considering raw gold was pretty much flat today.  The NASDAQ being up +57 points (1.16%) held FSAGX in for a gain.

I like the look of the graph on FSAGX for the last week.  Continues to appear bottomed out.

BigBrandonAllenFan

November 18, 2015, 02:32:28 pm #18 Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 02:46:12 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan
11/17/15>

FSAGX got chopped for 0.47 cents per share, down to $12.90 (-3.52%).  Knew the drop was coming and wanted to buy a little more but didn't.  It's a volatile stock...Goes up and down daily in multi percentage points often.

BigBrandonAllenFan

11/18/19, before the close>

Just purchased a modest portion of Fidelity Select Natural Gas (FSNGX).  I left myself plenty of room for subsequent buys of the stock should it fall more.

I bought and sold this same stock just a couple of weeks ago, buying and selling it in a nine day span. 

Yesterday, http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/Fund/FSNGX?countrycode=US, FSNGX dropped (-1.92%) to a lower level than I had previously purchased it for in late October.  Raw natural gas is down about 1% today, (though the NASDAQ composite is up 1.6%), so I figure I can get the stock at near yesterday's price, maybe a few cents cheaper if I'm lucky.  Natural gas can't get much cheaper.  If it does they won't even be able to afford to sell it.

This is the 4th time since last January I have purchased FSNGX, all 3 previous sold at profit.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on November 18, 2015, 02:39:57 pm
11/18/19, before the close>

Just purchased a modest portion of Fidelity Select Natural Gas (FSNGX).  I left myself plenty of room for subsequent buys of the stock should it fall more.

I bought and sold this same stock just a couple of weeks ago, buying and selling it in a nine day span. 

Yesterday, http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/Fund/FSNGX?countrycode=US, FSNGX dropped (-1.92%) to a lower level than I had previously purchased it for in late October.  Raw natural gas is down about 1% today, (though the NASDAQ composite is up 1.6%), so I figure I can get the stock at near yesterday's price, maybe a few cents cheaper if I'm lucky.  Natural gas can't get much cheaper.  If it does they won't even be able to afford to sell it.

This is the 4th time since last January I have purchased FSNGX, all 3 previous sold at profit.

Well crud.  FSNGX rebounded today, gaining back 1.85% of yesterday's 1.92% decline.  That my friends is an example of bad daily timing on my part. Well, I own it now.  I'll see where it goes.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on November 18, 2015, 02:32:28 pm
11/17/15>

FSAGX got chopped for 0.47 cents per share, down to $12.90 (-3.52%).  Knew the drop was coming and wanted to buy a little more but didn't.  It's a volatile stock...Goes up and down daily in multi percentage points often.

FSAGX regained 0.33 cents today, gaining back 2.5% of yesterday's 3.5% loss.

The good sign for my investment, raw gold has risen this evening on the world market and is up $7 to $1076 currently, this since the close of Wall Street today.

I feel really good about the fund.  I got a 2.5% gain today, although raw gold was only ahead $2.  If I get a single good day's gold rally I can jump 5 to 8 percent in a day.

C'mon baby, gimme a gold rally!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOO GOLD SOOIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigBrandonAllenFan

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/gold-ticks-higher-as-dollar-rally-pauses-2015-11-19

"Gold on track for biggest daily gain since mid-October"

QuoteGold futures were on pace to register the biggest daily gain in more than a month, a day after minutes from the Federal Reserve signaled that a majority of its members favored a rate increase as early as December.

A retreat in the dollar, which had been rallying in the days leading up to the release of the minutes, helped increase the allure of the yellow metal.

The ICE U.S. Dollar Index DXY, -0.49% which measures the buck's strength against a basket of six rival currencies, was off 0.5% early Thursday.

December gold GCZ5, +0.87%  rose $11.50, or 1.1%, to trade at $1,080.20 an ounce on Comex. The metal settled half an hour before the minutes of the Fed were released at 2 p.m. Eastern on Wednesday.

Thursday's advance puts gold on track to post its biggest percentage gain since Oct. 14, when the metal saw a 1.2% rise, according to FactSet data.

Gold watchers said traders have been pricing in a rate increase in December and that a confirmation of the Fed's intent to normalize monetary policy in the minutes of its October policy-setting meeting may have offered the metal some room to jump. A rate increase can be a negative to assets that don't offer interest.

Read: Fed minutes show majority willing to raise interest rates in December

A decision by Japan's central bank to keep its interest rates steady also pushed the dollar lower, reining in bullish bets in favor of the buck.

A weaker dollar can provide a lift to commodities priced in the currency, making them relatively cheaper to investors using other monetary units.

Some traders said that a bounce in gold and the weakness in the dollar are a function of both of those assets being aggressively traded by investors ahead of a rate increase.

The "dollar weakness is being chalked up to the October [Fed] minutes' emphasis on a slow path of policy normalization," wrote analysts at Credit Suisse in a Thursday research note.

In the case of gold being aggressively sold, Colin Cieszynski, senior market analyst at CMC Markets, told MarketWatch.

"Gold and [the U.S. dollar] have been more aggressively pricing in a rate hike than other markets so I think we are getting common 'enter trade on rumor exit on the news' type of response," said Cieszynski.

That said, Cieszynski warned that gold could see another significant leg lower before the dust settles. "Gold has been getting oversold so its due for a trading bounce in the near term, but I still think it could be drawn toward a retest of $1,000[an ounce] before its all over."

BigBrandonAllenFan

All I need is a good few days for gold and SOLD GOLD will be the word for me.

If I get get up just 3% on my buys from last week, I'll take the 2.25% profit after paying the 0.75% early redemption fee and be on my way in only a couple of weeks of investment.

Then again, it ain't over til it's over, and gold can just as quickly go the other way.

BigBrandonAllenFan

November 19, 2015, 03:16:36 pm #24 Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 03:27:28 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan
Thursday, 11/19/15

Dow.............17,733...........-4...........0.02%
Nasdaq..........5,074...........-1............0.02%
S&P 500.........2,081...........-3............0.12%
GlobalDow......2,418.........+18...........0.77%
Gold..............1,081..........+12..........1.15%

Oil...............40.42...........-0.33..........0.81%

Today's Wall St. close.

Gold is up $12 from yesterday's close of $1069. 

Notice the Global Dow up...Gold will usually rise with the Global Dow.  If global markets are good, gold is usually good with it.  The good thing about gold stocks, is the NASDAQ and DOW can be flat as they were today, yet gold can surge.  That is why I CONTINUALLY watch gold prices/trends/anything else about gold/ect... There is always a dollar to be made with gold.  I've probably mentioned it, I'm sure I have, but anyway, gold is no secret, gold ruled as the monetary system in the ancient days of the early kings and pharohs and every general whoever ruled which place where ever since the end of the stone age.  Ain't too much changed in that regard.  Gold IS true currency.

Though raw gold is up just 1.15%, the FSAGX fund could see a much more significant increase today.  I'm hoping 3% or more, which would put my investment in the black.  I'm in at 13.49 per share.  Yesterday's close was 13.22.  Mutual fund closing prices are not available until an hour after close.  I'll know shortly.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on November 19, 2015, 03:16:36 pm
Thursday, 11/19/15[/b

Though raw gold is up just 1.15%, the FSAGX fund could see a much more significant increase today.  I'm hoping 3% or more, which would put my investment in the black.  I'm in at 13.49 per share.  Yesterday's close was 13.22.

Got a 0.31 cent (2.38%) gain today to close at 13.53, which now makes the FSAGX investment +0.04 cents (0.3%) per share.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on November 18, 2015, 07:22:07 pm
Well crud.  FSNGX rebounded today, gaining back 1.85% of yesterday's 1.92% decline.  That my friends is an example of bad daily timing on my part. Well, I own it now.  I'll see where it goes.

Bad timing was right. 

The FSNGX (Nat Gas) fund dropped back 0.50 cents (1.98%) per share, which leaves me instantly down 2% on yesterday's buy.

Raw natural gas is down to 2.23 per cu ft.  2.21 is the lowest I can readily remember, and that was two weeks ago.  If the price of nat gas remains near 2.23, and, the NASDAQ is down near close tomorrow, I will double the original investment on FSNGX. 

It may be mid-December before that first Arctic bubble of air hits the US, but when it does, that will be the week to sell. I don't figure I will have the stock more than 30 or 40 days before I can rake in a solid 5%.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/fund/fsngx

BigBrandonAllenFan

December 04, 2015, 10:29:46 am #28 Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 05:23:40 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan
Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on November 19, 2015, 03:16:36 pm
Thursday, 11/19/15

FSAGX... I'm in at 13.49 per share...

I closed yesterday, 12/3, at 13.66 per share, which puts the investment +0.17 cents per share, appx +1.3%.

About 20 minutes ago my NASDAQ SELL ALARM went off, as raw gold had jumped up $25 in 25 minutes (over 2%).  Furthermore, the NASDAQ composite is surging ahead by 71 points, (1.4%), this following yesterdays big selloff.

What THIS DAY spells for my Fidelity Select Gold investment, is, should these numbers hold 20 minutes before close, my GOLD IS SOLD.  Because if they do hold, I should get no less than a 3% spike in FSNGX, and if I get lucky, I could pull in one of those 8% rakes in a single day.  Already being ahead 1.3%, I am in a no lose game today, again, if the numbers hold.  Any thing I cash today is profit over the early redemption fee of 0.75% on stocks owned less than 30 days.  I'm already sitting 0.6% profit after that.  I'll take 3% profit in 4 weeks and run, quickly.

You can bet I'm watching the board closely this afternoon.

Check the spike> http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/future/gold

BigBrandonAllenFan

December 04, 2015, 05:09:10 pm #29 Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 06:03:10 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan
I indeed SOLD the FSAGX (Fidelity Select Gold) investment today.  I had bought in on Nov 4, 5, and 6.  Half of the investment was 29 days long, so I only paid the 3/4% early redemption fee on half the investment.

Bottom line>  FSAGX surged ahead 4.75% today to $14.31 per share, just as today's market numbers suggested it would do.  I was in at $13.49 per share.  The total gain on the investment was 6.05%.  Take away 0.75% early redemption fee on half the investment, and the net profit equals 5.67%.  That in 30 days.

And that my friends is how it is done.  A reread of the thread will show the full process.  Lesson complete.  Feel free to exploit the format for your own financial benefit.

I began this thread outlining this particular investment (FSAGX) in an effort to teach the fine art of timely market plays.  I couldn't be happier with the results, again.

This was the 4th time I have bought and sold this same stock in 2015, all at excellent short termed profits.  I'll take 5.67% a month all year long and do a Jed Clampett jig all the way to the bank.

Old Tusk

The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Old Tusk on December 04, 2015, 06:23:23 pm
Personally, I prefer GDX.

Well, in lieu of such a snapped short snubbing, I'll not bother offering a free investment class any longer.  I take my 30%+ profit on the year, that from a fund that is actually down 14% for the year, and laugh joyously at all those stagnant fund holders out there, all the way to the bank.  For real.   8)

If you are gaining 30% from GDX every year, then I'd stick with them too.  My guess, in 2015, you gained closer to 5% this year if you were lucky.

ricepig

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on December 05, 2015, 09:15:09 am
Well, in lieu of such a snapped short snubbing, I'll not bother offering a free investment class any longer.  I take my 30%+ profit on the year, that from a fund that is actually down 14% for the year, and laugh joyously at all those stagnant fund holders out there, all the way to the bank.  For real.   8)

Nobody cares, lol. Do you actually think savvy investors turn to HV for advice? Congrats on your gains, but a little humility goes a long way. Are you Kevin Kelley?

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: ricepig on December 05, 2015, 09:19:08 am
Nobody cares, lol. Do you actually think savvy investors turn to HV for advice? Congrats on your gains, but a little humility goes a long way. Are you Kevin Kelley?

LOL!!!!!!!!

I know you don't care.  LOL!!!!!!!!!  That is why I am laughing all the way to the bank...Because I own your profit.  SERIOUSLY DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

And no, they don't turn to Hogville.  They come to my office and pay me commission.

ricepig

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on December 05, 2015, 09:23:33 am
LOL!!!!!!!!

I know you don't care.  LOL!!!!!!!!!  That is why I am laughing all the way to the bank...Because I own your profit.  SERIOUSLY DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

And no, they don't turn to Hogville.  They come to my office and pay me commission.

Sure they do, you're just a regular E.F. Hutton, continue on......

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: ricepig on December 05, 2015, 09:19:08 am

In fact, I think you and a big handful of others probably just turn to Hogville near 24/7 most everyday because you have nothing better to do with your free time.  And humility?  There is no room for that word in the business world.  Ask Donald Trump.

And no, I'm not Kevin Kelly, but if I said my name, which I will not, you would know it.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: ricepig on December 05, 2015, 09:35:29 am
Sure they do, you're just a regular E.F. Hutton, continue on......

No.  I'm done in the Finance forum.  There are no more free lessons.  Take the one you have here and be happy you got it.   Thank you.    ;D

ricepig

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on December 05, 2015, 09:36:56 am
In fact, I think you and a big handful of others probably just turn to Hogville near 24/7 most everyday because you have nothing better to do with your free time.  And humility?  There is no room for that word in the business world.  Ask Donald Trump.

And no, I'm not Kevin Kelly, but if I said my name, which I will not, you would know it.

Yeah, I'm retired and have already made my way, so lots of free time. Donald Trump, that's your choice of a business icon to follow? As far as who you are, nobody cares. Have a nice day and continue telling us only about your winning trades.

Old Tusk

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on December 05, 2015, 09:15:09 am

If you are gaining 30% from GDX every year, then I'd stick with them too.  My guess, in 2015, you gained closer to 5% this year if you were lucky.

I can't believe you think playing gold this way is unique or brilliant. Been doing it for years, and I didn't think it up. The suggestion of GDX was the ETF is easier to get in an out of than a fund. In the current situation you had to bailout to protect your earning while I simple moved my stop up to protect my earnings and get to wait to see what Monday brings.  But you are the expert.

Another way is physical gold. While it is more cumbersome,  it offers tax free returns.

You do sound so much like HiM. Is that you?
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

HawgWild

TheJoeyBucketz

Hell, I just took it for granted that everyone knew it was HiM.
Dominic Fletcher following his homerun against Texas Tech in Omaha, "I thought they said this park was big?!"

ricepig

Quote from: golf2day on December 05, 2015, 07:50:19 pm
Hell, I just took it for granted that everyone knew it was HiM.

I must admit, I didn't put 2+2 together, slipping as I age

TheJoeyBucketz

Quote from: ricepig on December 05, 2015, 08:06:48 pm
I must admit, I didn't put 2+2 together, slipping as I age
That's alright, man. He used a pretty good beard. That unadulterated self-love is only found in one man, though.
Dominic Fletcher following his homerun against Texas Tech in Omaha, "I thought they said this park was big?!"

BigBrandonAllenFan

NO no no...

I am Austin Allen...Brandon's brother!  Remember??...  That is what y'all all said two months ago.  Oh, and then I was Brandon's mom!!  I wish y'all would make up your minds just who the heck I am so I can tell my wife.

You guys just are not very nice people.  You come on here and blantantly bait other posters.  I don't know how trolls like you guys (old codgers) were ever left around here by the admin for so long.  Obviously you're licking the right boo boo.  :P

BigBrandonAllenFan

hog.goblin

BigBrandonAllenFan

March 04, 2016, 11:37:38 am #47 Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 12:51:41 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan
It is very very very good sell day on the NASDAQ.  That's all I can say really.  I bought the big market dip back in the second week of January, 1/8/16 to be exact) and now cashing out a total combined 11.25% ahead today.  Probably selling too soon, but I'm not getting greedy.

I hope all y'all all played that big dip as hard as I did.  Hogwild6700 sent me a PM asking for a stock tip, and I gave him the same buys I made back on 1/8. 

I hope you got in there on it HW6700!

SELL TODAY if you did!!  I'll let you know when I buy again, buy that may be well into April.  PM coming...

PS>  if some of y'all wouldn't have been so meany mean, I'da offered it all up right here. 

Hogs run wild

wish i knew how to make money in the stock market...seems complex.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Hogs run wild on March 04, 2016, 11:22:22 pm
wish i knew how to make money in the stock market...seems complex.

Actually it is very, very simple.  Read the graphs. That's 90% of my study.  Catch those dips.  The stock I referred to just above that HW6700 asked for the tip on, had dropped on the 3 year chart to the lowest level in that time period.  Most folks think, "That stock sucks".  But actually quite the opposite is in store for the mutual fund.

And I play mutual funds, not individual stocks, which can leave you busted if you're not very careful.  Remember TCBY?

Check this graph and click on the 3 yr and 5 yr graphs> http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/fund/ffgcx
Notice the yellow dot signaling the low point?  That's exactly when I bought in January, and on a day the market was down also.  Never buy on a day the market is up unless just slightly up.  That little rebound on the end of the graph doesn't look like much, but it actually represents over 12% profit in only 7 weeks.

Another one here, I bought in for $6.09 per share on Jan 8th.  It went to $6.94 and I sold.  The diffrence in 6.09 and 6.94 is very big in percentages.  Every .06 cents gained is +1%, which adds to a total of 14% profit in just 7 weeks>
http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/fund/ffgcx
Once again an easy read.  The stock was well below a 5yr low.  BUY!

When I sell I simply "sideline" the money in a Fidelity Federal Reserve fund (pays a guarantee of .01% weekly) until ready to buy again.