Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

**UPDATED WITH SPORTS ILLUSTRATED LINK** Dana Holgerson reportedly turns down Arkansas Job

Started by ThrillaHog, October 03, 2012, 06:32:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LZH

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 03, 2012, 06:54:34 pm
tell me, how many BCS bowl games would WVU make if they had played in the SEC the past 13 or so years ?

ad: if you are truthful, you know the answer is 0

Boom!            +1.

FIOG

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on October 03, 2012, 06:45:37 pm
If Jeff did offer, good, glad he tried. Like many of us have said Jeff needs to try the homerun hires first.

Most of us already assumed Hologorsen wouldn't come. We aren't a lateral move, but we aren't that much higher, and he just got to WVU.
Probably smoke anyway.

That much higher? They have won 3 BCS Bowls since 2006.

hogdogcrazy

Quote from: phadedhawg on October 03, 2012, 07:27:28 pm
They might have an easier road to the BCS but they don't get easier BCS bowls. 

We had a "tough" road to a BCS game and we lost ours.  A person would have to be crazy to think Arkansas is a better job than West Virginia. 

10 months ago Arkansas was a much better job.  Not now after Long has made an abortion out of the entire program.  I said back in April that our job wouldn't be near as attractive after the season as it was right then.  Once again, MAJOR ERROR On Jeff Long's part.  That idiot couldn't tie his shoes without illustrated pictures.
Smites are Badges of Honor around this place.

Mike Irwin

October 04, 2012, 06:07:14 am #103 Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 06:09:19 am by Mike Irwin
Quote from: ThrillaHog on October 03, 2012, 06:32:33 pm
These are quotes from the article:

Knowing Holgorsen's checkered past with alcohol and his lack of defensive minded teams one could seriously question if Long did extend an offer. If Long did extend an offer one can only hope this came with a personal conduct clause along with a list of must hire defensive coordinators.

Back in July I had a brief conversation with Jeff Long about this very issue. I would be  surprised if Long offered Holgerson a job. More likely, if it happened at all, is that someone going around Long contacted Holgerson to gauge his interest.

There are some high level boosters behind the scenes trying get their own choice the job. There are Gruden guys, Charlie Strong guys, Butch Davis guys, Tuberville guys. Just because a coaches agent has been contacted by somebody claiming to represent Arkansas doesn't mean he's been offered the job.

Porcius Magnus

Seems to me the first two words, "New rumors" are pretty key to this article.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: BroyledNutts on October 04, 2012, 12:20:33 am
Ryan Wright ....aka HogmaninLA....opinion writer for "fansided" - sounds like just another message board troll using rumors to make a name for himself....

just what the program needs right now...

I can't, and can, believe that Sean and Wally are using this as an "official" reference to broadcast on air....
There is no Shawn and Wally Show. Either the guy was listening to somebody on Shawn's show or Wally on another show or somebody that's wasn't Shawn or Wally. Unless something happened yesterday that I don't know about Wally was not on Shawn's show. I was on the show at 4:30 and 6:40. Wally wasn't there and hasn't been there for several months.

Callthosehogs78

Quote from: big john on October 03, 2012, 06:47:03 pm
long likes the guys from the north i dont no any good coach,s from the north .

Never heard of Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, or Les Miles I guess.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Pyrotechnician on October 04, 2012, 12:48:01 am
we dont need holgerson.  he'd get beat 70-0 in the sec
you must be a baseball fan. your lack of understanding the game is staggering. WVU would put up 30+ on anybody.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: FIOG on October 04, 2012, 04:53:53 am
That much higher? They have won 3 BCS Bowls since 2006.
uh, because they kept cashing in the Big East bcs auto bid. They better enjoy those 3 because more aren't coming.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

H&D

Quote from: hogdogcrazy on October 04, 2012, 05:21:53 am
10 months ago Arkansas was a much better job.  Not now after Long has made an abortion out of the entire program.  I said back in April that our job wouldn't be near as attractive after the season as it was right then.  Once again, MAJOR ERROR On Jeff Long's part.  That idiot couldn't tie his shoes without illustrated pictures.

Who was available in April?
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

CDBHawg

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 03, 2012, 06:54:34 pm
tell me, how many BCS bowl games would WVU make if they had played in the SEC the past 13 or so years ?

ad: if you are truthful, you know the answer is 0

They beat UGA in one. So, I have to believe they'd at least played in one. I'm sure they'd be in the SEC-East.

H&D

Quote from: CDBHawg on October 04, 2012, 07:10:57 am
Who wasn't?

Name a big name coach that has left their program in the spring for another job.........  And Butch Davis was not available in April (for some reason people want him). Gruden was a pipe dream from the beginning. 

So now that answered your question answer mine, who was available?
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

CDBHawg

Quote from: H&D on October 04, 2012, 07:20:28 am
Name a big name coach that has left their program in the spring for another job.........  And Butch Davis was not available in April (for some reason people want him). Gruden was a pipe dream from the beginning. 

So now that answered your question answer mine, who was available?

You didn't answer. Who wasn't?

H&D

Quote from: CDBHawg on October 04, 2012, 07:21:56 am
You didn't answer. Who wasn't?

I guess in your mind everyone was available?  I wish I lacked basic understanding of how the world works...........
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Craig O Squeal

Does anyone use spell check or grammar check?? Rapid fanbase?? Maybe rabid instead?

DCimport

October 04, 2012, 07:32:29 am #117 Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 07:35:31 am by DCimport
Quote from: H&D on October 04, 2012, 07:23:38 am
I guess in your mind everyone was available?  I wish I lacked basic understanding of how the world works...........

I completely understand where your coming from. Maybe you could explain it to him metaphorically.
Buying a car after someone else chooses the features for you (recruiting classes).

CDBHawg

Quote from: H&D on October 04, 2012, 07:23:38 am

Nice dodge. You can't/won't answer, so I'm stupid.

Ham Ham Pigelow

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on October 03, 2012, 07:25:48 pm
But that is not really fair. They had to play a good team from an other conference to win. Not only that, it is beside the point. They still were there and got the W and the money and popularity.
I agree. West Virginia has beaten the big boys in the past.

H&D

Quote from: CDBHawg on October 04, 2012, 07:34:56 am

Nice dodge. You can't/won't answer, so I'm stupid.

I gave you names of coaches (coached people want) that were not available in April.  That was your question and I answered it.  You are the one dodging, not me.  I guess comprehension is among your many faults. 
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Laughing Hog

Quote from: dynastyhog on October 03, 2012, 06:35:54 pm
Third time is the charm for Jeff.  We just need to get publicly snubbed by one more coach then we'll have our guy.

In all seriousness if Jeff offered Dana the job at this point he nneds to be scrutinized. If we were going to go after someone currently coaching we would have done it in April.
Please explain this.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

CDBHawg

Quote from: H&D on October 04, 2012, 07:40:13 am
I gave you names of coaches (coached people want) that were not available in April.  That was your question and I answered it.  You are the one dodging, not me.  I guess comprehension is among your many faults.

Gruden & Davis were not available? That leaves a lot of good/great ones that were then. My point is that I don't know who was available, but to assume JLS was the best option?, I don't believe that either.

We don't really know who was/wasn't available.  There is no need to ask who was, because you don't know wasn't.

Once again, thanks for calling me stupid.

H&D

Quote from: CDBHawg on October 04, 2012, 07:46:20 am
Gruden & Davis were not available? That leaves a lot of good/great ones that were then. My point is that I don't know who was available, but to assume JLS was the best option?, I don't believe that either.

We don't really know who was/wasn't available.  There is no need to ask who was, because you don't know wasn't.

Once again, thanks for calling me stupid.

You make it so easy.  Gruden is a pipe dream.  Davis has a no-compete clause.  So yes, they were not available in April.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

CDBHawg

Quote from: H&D on October 04, 2012, 07:48:37 am
You make it so easy.  Gruden is a pipe dream.  Davis has a no-compete clause.  So yes, they were not available in April.

Show me where I said they were. Surely I said that and that's why you are implying them. Surely you comprehended my posts correctly with your unique intellect.

H&D

Quote from: CDBHawg on October 04, 2012, 07:51:18 am
Show me where I said they were. Surely I said that and that's why you are implying them. Surely you comprehended my posts correctly with your unique intellect.

You implied with a question that they were available. I simply stated they were not. Remember when you typed this......ten minutes ago....

QuoteGruden & Davis were not available?
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

CDBHawg

Quote from: H&D on October 04, 2012, 07:55:12 am
You implied with a question that they were available. I simply stated they were not. Remember when you typed this......ten minutes ago....

I ask the question basically confirming your statement. Kind of like asking someone, "Did I get that right?". Anyways it's a moot point, I just belied JLS was not the best option. I think the proof is in the pudding there. Maybe we get someone we couldn't of in April, maybe we do. Who knows?

ThrillaHog

Quote from: Two wrongs don't make a D'Nerian Wrighter on October 03, 2012, 07:08:24 pm
No offense to the writer of the linked article, but show me a better source, I don't think anyone leak any info to a reporter, show me something concrete  rather than someone saying something on a radio show and one article for a fan-reporting Web site before starting with conspiracy theories. Just sayin'

No offense taken.

I'm not reporting anything and its not my conspiracy theory, I just posted what I heard. I have no sources and have no idea if any of this is true or not. I explained in the original post where I got it from.

ThrillaHog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on October 03, 2012, 07:41:44 pm
I get that SI e-newsletter three times a week. There's a reason that little feature is called Rumors. It's not factual reporting. It's really not much different from what you might read on Hogville.
It definitely wouldn't be accurate to say 'Sports Illustrated is reporting...'.

I didn't say Sports Illustrated reported anything. It says in my original post that Wally Hall said SI reported this. I went there to see for myself and that article was the only thing I could find. That link is a part of Sports Illustrated as I got to that article from the SI main page.

IllinoisRazorbackFan

October 04, 2012, 08:42:54 am #129 Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 08:51:38 am by IllinoisRazorbackFan
Quote from: phadedhawg on October 03, 2012, 07:27:28 pm
They might have an easier road to the BCS but they don't get easier BCS bowls. 

We had a "tough" road to a BCS game and we lost ours.  A person would have to be crazy to think Arkansas is a better job than West Virginia.
Unfortunately, most of the homers on here are; this is why are program has been and always will be the laughing stock of the media.  Saying a guy like John Gruden is coming here sure doesn't help our credibility and perspective of reality either.

We had a good thing, but Jeff long ended our good thing.  Now the fans are over the top and think we are the best program in the country - "we can buy any coach, bring in Gruden".  Yeah right, take a look at who Tennessee had to settle for - we end up like Tenner at best.  West Virgina has won multiple BCS bowls and it's been relevant in football and basketball way more recently than us.  Any one who thinks Arky is a better program is irrational or a troll. 

Due to the population (recruiting) and the competition we face week in and week out, we all know Arkansas is a difficult job - in the past it still had it's perks.  We can talk all about our facilities but the real perk was if you won here, you would have support and be loved like no other.  Obviously, that's not the case anymore - we had a coach that was a winner, but like all the other winners here we fired him.  Now the fans are trying to point a light on the situation and say he's a bad coach or a terrible recruiter - yeah right!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Ham Ham Pigelow on October 04, 2012, 07:37:18 am
I agree. West Virginia has beaten the big boys in the past.
i put them right where we are, a B+ going on an A- climb.

Sivad

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 04, 2012, 06:07:14 am
Back in July I had a brief conversation with Jeff Long about this very issue. I would be  surprised if Long offered Holgerson a job.
I was afraid of that. Jeff Long's floating "moral standards" keeping us off a good coach.

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

ThrillaHog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 04, 2012, 06:07:14 am
Back in July I had a brief conversation with Jeff Long about this very issue. I would be  surprised if Long offered Holgerson a job. More likely, if it happened at all, is that someone going around Long contacted Holgerson to gauge his interest.

There are some high level boosters behind the scenes trying get their own choice the job. There are Gruden guys, Charlie Strong guys, Butch Davis guys, Tuberville guys. Just because a coaches agent has been contacted by somebody claiming to represent Arkansas doesn't mean he's been offered the job.

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 04, 2012, 06:32:24 am
There is no Shawn and Wally Show. Either the guy was listening to somebody on Shawn's show or Wally on another show or somebody that's wasn't Shawn or Wally. Unless something happened yesterday that I don't know about Wally was not on Shawn's show. I was on the show at 4:30 and 6:40. Wally wasn't there and hasn't been there for several months.

http://m.si.com/2012/10/03/arkansas-head-coach-rumors-keep-swirling/d16acff5/

And there is a Shawn and Wally show. It comes on here in Little Rock on 102.9 and it airs from 4-7 P.M. just like Drive Time Sports.

Quote from: ThrillaHog on October 04, 2012, 09:16:06 am
http://m.si.com/2012/10/03/arkansas-head-coach-rumors-keep-swirling/d16acff5/

And there is a Shawn and Wally show. It comes on here in Little Rock on 102.9 and it airs from 4-7 P.M. just like Drive Time Sports.
It's not called Shawn and Wally anymore. Wally left some time ago, and it's called the Shawn Arnell show.

ThrillaHog

Quote from: Karma on October 04, 2012, 09:18:59 am
It's not called Shawn and Wally anymore. Wally left some time ago, and it's called the Shawn Arnell show.

Didn't know that. Thanks

nwarazfan

Those sites are so annoying.  Morons without sources can post opinions and because they are tied to a media entity like SI some give them credence. 

Hog Fan...DOH!

I'm sure it's been posted... but there's no way a big time coach has been offered mid season.  Maybe there's been "back channel" convos, but what coach would admit to 1)interviewing and 2) considering a job mid-season? 

ChicoHog

Quote from: Murr on October 03, 2012, 08:42:13 pm
Exactly,  I heard Al Golden, University of Miami and previously at Temple, was thinking about it/had feelers sent out.  In Golden's case, leaving the dumpter fire that is Miami would be a good thing to do now before the NCAA hands down sanctions from the latest booster findings and makes things worse.

Gotta love all the smoke blowing right now.

I still want GRUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNN!
I think Golden is doing a great at Miami.  I would take him in a heartbeat.  We don't have his recruiting base obviously but we do have one thing Miami does not have and that is a passionate fan base.  He built Temple back from nothing.  Probably would have had the Penn st job if Paterno would have retired a couple years ago. 

nwarazfan

Golden is about to lose his boss.  I could see him leaving Miami for another job. 

Cure

Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Cartoon Man

Butch or Gruden. We need a good recruiter, who is a good CEO. A good head coach surrounds himself with good assistants.

dpetty1121263

I heard Jeff Long is looking hard at the Podunk Arkansas school dist head coach for the job...sounds like he is interested!

Redhogs

Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Pork Twain

Quote from: ThrillaHog on October 03, 2012, 06:32:33 pm
Knowing Holgorsen's checkered past with alcohol and his lack of defensive minded teams one could seriously question if Long did extend an offer. If Long did extend an offer one can only hope this came with a personal conduct clause along with a list of must hire defensive coordinators.

Perhaps this is why Holgorsen is no longer interested in becoming the next head coach at Arkansas?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Aston Martin 8 dude

Quote from: deshahawg on October 03, 2012, 06:36:59 pm
Who in their right mind would take this job now? The ship is sinking!
Of course you're totally correct. The U of A job has NOTHING to offer a coach: no facilities, no big time salary, no money making program prospects, no state wide support, no decent conference, no tradition,,, yada, yada. Under your reasoning we might as well stay with JLS and pay him a cheap salary as we can't get anyone better anyway. What an idiotic and asinine statement!!

Prowling Moose

Quote from: Prowling Moose on October 04, 2012, 01:44:07 pm
What if Holgorsen found out he wasn't the guy ???
His agent knows it would be best if he came out and made it look like he turned the UofA down.  It could be Grude news  ;D