Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Zhaire Smith

Started by skinnypig, March 06, 2017, 06:46:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinto

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 08, 2017, 10:50:29 am
There is an open spot at the 3 next year, but we have CJ Jones, Garland, and Hall as long competing for that starting spot as well. There will be a lot of competition for playing time, which is a good thing overall, but tough on the players that get left out (transfers).
Competing vs other incoming freshmen and a player who didn't clock last year shouldn't affect his decision if he is looking for immediate playing time.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 08, 2017, 10:33:42 am
Which sucks because I think he could contribute.  I see a spot for all 3 of the freshmen to contribute in the future.

I honestly don't see much of a path to playing time for Hazen. We know that he is currently behind soon-to-be-seniors Thomas and Cook, and Bailey in his own class. So he is not likely to play much at all again next season. That's two years gone with no real playing time (assuming no injuries). Then Thomas and Cook leave but Perry and Henderson (at least) come in. Both more highly-rated and athletic. Perry will be a Day 1 starter a la Bobby Portis. Going to assume Bailey is still ahead of him at that juncture as well. Maybe he plays as a small 5 behind Gafford, but I'd assume Henderson would get that job over Hazen due to his length, athleticism, and defensive versatility.

Things could always change, but I just don't see how Hazen gets on the court for any real playing time. And he hasn't shown anything in the few minutes he has played. Hard to draw conclusions either way there, but we've seen Bailey and C.J. Jones pop in limited action.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pinto on March 08, 2017, 11:04:18 am
Why go after someone who can only jump when you can get someone who can jump just as well and do more?

First, if Javon had the grades, I believe he would be committed right now.

Second:
https://twitter.com/LRPView/status/821603306208456704

https://twitter.com/LRPView/status/834656052922703873

Pinto

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 08, 2017, 11:39:38 am
First, if Javon had the grades, I believe he would be committed right now.

Second:
https://twitter.com/LRPView/status/821603306208456704

https://twitter.com/LRPView/status/834656052922703873

Arlando Cook hit a few threes every now and then in JUCO but we still don't want him taking that shot. Javon can't consistently hit the three ball or create for others like Zhaire.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 08, 2017, 11:13:11 am
I honestly don't see much of a path to playing time for Hazen. We know that he is currently behind soon-to-be-seniors Thomas and Cook, and Bailey in his own class. So he is not likely to play much at all again next season. That's two years gone with no real playing time (assuming no injuries). Then Thomas and Cook leave but Perry and Henderson (at least) come in. Both more highly-rated and athletic. Perry will be a Day 1 starter a la Bobby Portis. Going to assume Bailey is still ahead of him at that juncture as well. Maybe he plays as a small 5 behind Gafford, but I'd assume Henderson would get that job over Hazen due to his length, athleticism, and defensive versatility.

Things could always change, but I just don't see how Hazen gets on the court for any real playing time. And he hasn't shown anything in the few minutes he has played. Hard to draw conclusions either way there, but we've seen Bailey and C.J. Jones pop in limited action.

I think Hazen is going to be good. In the little time he played I was able to see he can handle the ball, run the floor, jumps pretty well, and is a pretty good passer. Hazen will get on the floor if he puts in the work.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 08, 2017, 10:21:09 am
Just my opinion but I think Hazen is leaving, I just don't think he fits MA. So I am thinking we have 2 spots open, 1 may be carried forward to 2018, if they can't find a big or a PG. Or more likely they look for a grad transfer.
He definitely fits MA. 6'8 guy that can shoot and crashes the boards. He just needed to put on some weight
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Pinto

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on March 08, 2017, 12:39:08 pm
I think Hazen is going to be good. In the little time he played I was able to see he can handle the ball, run the floor, jumps pretty well, and is a pretty good passer. Hazen will get on the floor if he puts in the work.

You might need your eyes checked if you think he can jump well lol

azhog10

Quote from: Pinto on March 08, 2017, 01:12:52 pm
You might want to youtube Brachen. He may not be a "high flyer" but he can get off the ground. Was a very solid dunker in high school.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pinto on March 08, 2017, 01:12:52 pm

He is actually pretty athletic. He has mostly been focusing his game around his jump shot, but I saw video of him catching multiple lob passes for dunks in the preseason.

The Hogfather

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on March 08, 2017, 12:39:08 pm

I'm with you.  He's plenty athletic, has good height, has good ball skills, and can shoot well for his size.  I want all of our freshmen to stick around.

The_Iceman

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 08, 2017, 03:02:42 pm
I'm with you.  He's plenty athletic, has good height, has good ball skills, and can shoot well for his size.  I want all of our freshmen to stick around.

Guys that could see time at the 4 next year other than Hazen:

Cook, Thomas, Bailey, Hall (smaller lineup), Zhaire Smith (if he committs, smaller lineup)

Guys that could see time at the 4 in 2018 other than Hazen:

Reggie Perry, Ethan Henderson, Bailey, Hall (see above), Zhaire Smith (see above).

Just doesn't look like there is much room for Hazen going forward, especially if Smith commits.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 08, 2017, 03:15:17 pm
Guys that could see time at the 4 next year other than Hazen:

Cook, Thomas, Bailey, Hall (smaller lineup), Zhaire Smith (if he committs, smaller lineup)

Guys that could see time at the 4 in 2018 other than Hazen:

Reggie Perry, Ethan Henderson, Bailey, Hall (see above), Zhaire Smith (see above).

Just doesn't look like there is much room for Hazen going forward, especially if Smith commits.

I just don't know why you automatically assume all of those guys are better than Hazen and will play more than him.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 08, 2017, 03:16:10 pm
I just don't know why you automatically assume all of those guys are better than Hazen and will play more than him.

Which guys? The ones that ALREADY ARE playing more than him or the the incoming recruits like Reggie Perry (could very well be a 5-star by the time he steps foot on campus) and Ethan Henderson (top 100 player). Brachen Hazen was a 3-star, late period scramble who had been committed to Central Florida. Come on. It's easy to see why someone would automatically assume currently better and more highly-rated players would play over him. Of course those that aren't here have to prove they are better, but it's hard to see Mike Anderson playing Hazen over Thomas or Cook as seniors. If anyone is going to siphon minutes from either of them, it will be Bailey (because he already has). I'm not even going to entertain the thought of Hazen playing over Dan Gafford.

Razorod

Given the system, Hazen could see minutes at the "five" spot if he comes back.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

NWAHog479

Am I the only person that is not blown away by Ethan Henderson?

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 08, 2017, 03:40:56 pm
Which guys? The ones that ALREADY ARE playing more than him or the the incoming recruits like Reggie Perry (could very well be a 5-star by the time he steps foot on campus) and Ethan Henderson (top 100 player). Brachen Hazen was a 3-star, late period scramble who had been committed to Central Florida. Come on. It's easy to see why someone would automatically assume currently better and more highly-rated players would play over him. Of course those that aren't here have to prove they are better, but it's hard to see Mike Anderson playing Hazen over Thomas or Cook as seniors. If anyone is going to siphon minutes from either of them, it will be Bailey (because he already has). I'm not even going to entertain the thought of Hazen playing over Dan Gafford.

I think Hazen could take minutes from Cook and especially Thomas.  Mike does not like to play freshmen.  He has made some exceptions, but for the most part, he wants them to sit and learn.  I think all of our freshmen this year, including Hazen, can be good players for us moving forward.  I hate when we start talking about running guys off because there's "not a spot for them" in the future.  From what we've seen, the guy can play.  He doesn't look like a superstar, but he has skills/size/range.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 08, 2017, 04:03:44 pm
I think Hazen could take minutes from Cook and especially Thomas.  Mike does not like to play freshmen.  He has made some exceptions, but for the most part, he wants them to sit and learn.  I think all of our freshmen this year, including Hazen, can be good players for us moving forward.  I hate when we start talking about running guys off because there's "not a spot for them" in the future.  From what we've seen, the guy can play.  He doesn't look like a superstar, but he has skills/size/range.

I haven't said anything about running the kid off. But let's be honest here. It's 2017. Look at the number of transfers each year in college basketball. It's in the hundreds for a reason. I'm not saying he should be run off. I'm saying that I think he'll choose to transfer because I don't think he'll play. I'm wondering what you've seen from Hazen in the 41 scattered minutes he played to show that he can play at this level. He made one FG and one FT. Where is this range coming from? He had more turnovers than points. Dee Wagner had a better freshman season (by far).

When is the last time Mike has given minutes over two seniors to a sophomore that barely played a freshman? Ever? As inadequate as Cook and Thomas may have been at times this season, I'd trust them 10 times out of 10 over Hazen. He's honestly shown nothing indicate he'll get minutes from the players at his position next season. His best shot is as a junior if no other forwards are signed. He could play out of position at the "5" under that scenario.

If he wants to stick out, great. I'm not trying to get rid of the kid. I just think he'll end up transferring and I'm almost certain he won't be here as a junior. Just a prediction, not necessity.

The_Iceman

Quote from: NWAHog479 on March 08, 2017, 03:59:16 pm

He isn't much of a shooter, but he is between 6'8" and 6'9", with elite jumping ability, and good defensive instincts. Prototype forward for our system. Remember, only a junior. Has time to grow and develop.

https://twitter.com/LRPView/status/836760320064507904

https://twitter.com/LRPView/status/835016128107806720

https://twitter.com/LRPView/status/824121207096307712

https://twitter.com/CourtsideFilms/status/804949290556723201

hawginbigd1

With you HR I have not seen this potential from Hazen that so many others seem to see. If we became Syracuse and played zone 95% of the time then maybe, I just don't see he matches up with what our coach wants to do.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 08, 2017, 02:53:19 am
I think Javon's eligibility concerns are the real reason.

I don't think so.

I have seen and love Javon but this kid is a better player.

There are full games of his on YouTube. He can score from all levels of the floor. He has a great touch on the mid range jumper. His handle is already the equivalent of Qualls as a junior. Can finish in a variety of ways at the rim when not dunking and his passing and court vision are better than nearly everyone one currently playing for us.

He can defend at least 3 positions right now and with coaching could expand to 4.

We add this kid and the athleticism and versatility of the entire roster are vastly improved.

ShadowHawg

March 08, 2017, 04:57:31 pm #70 Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 05:10:26 pm by ShadowHawg
Quote from: Hawg Red on March 08, 2017, 04:27:55 pm
I haven't said anything about running the kid off. But let's be honest here. It's 2017. Look at the number of transfers each year in college basketball. It's in the hundreds for a reason. I'm not saying he should be run off. I'm saying that I think he'll choose to transfer because I don't think he'll play. I'm wondering what you've seen from Hazen in the 41 scattered minutes he played to show that he can play at this level. He made one FG and one FT. Where is this range coming from? He had more turnovers than points. Dee Wagner had a better freshman season (by far).

When is the last time Mike has given minutes over two seniors to a sophomore that barely played a freshman? Ever? As inadequate as Cook and Thomas may have been at times this season, I'd trust them 10 times out of 10 over Hazen. He's honestly shown nothing indicate he'll get minutes from the players at his position next season. His best shot is as a junior if no other forwards are signed. He could play out of position at the "5" under that scenario.

If he wants to stick out, great. I'm not trying to get rid of the kid. I just think he'll end up transferring and I'm almost certain he won't be here as a junior. Just a prediction, not necessity.

People are over thinking Hazen. He's pretty much Davor Rimac reincarnated. I think they are looking for him to grow into a Matt Lawrence type player that MA had at Missouri. A tall kid who can be dependable from distance.

duckman

Quote from: HOGdayafternoon on March 08, 2017, 09:49:27 am
I haven't tweeted this part out yet (I'm sure you already know), but in addition to an OV to Texas on March 17, Zhaire plans to take an OV to Texas Tech -- either before or after Texas, he told me he hasn't worked that out yet.

Yeah, I talked to his Dad last night.  I do think we have as good a shot as any.  He is just feeling out process but they do love our staff and fans.

duckman

Zhaire's dad, Billy was as amazing athlete but he is an amazing person.  He has had a lot of adversity in his life recently and his attitude is unreal.  Watch this...

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

swinesation

I agree with those who think it is premature to dismiss Hazen. Didn't pretty much all of us dismiss Manny?? I'd say he became a significant contributor! Some guys take longer to develop. Hazen could end up being quite an asset in a couple of years. Or not. We just don't know. And we also don't know what's going to develop with other guys, even those 4 star recruits we have signed and committed.

One other point: who the heck is Pinto??

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: swinesation on March 08, 2017, 09:48:35 pm
I agree with those who think it is premature to dismiss Hazen. Didn't pretty much all of us dismiss Manny?? I'd say he became a significant contributor! Some guys take longer to develop. Hazen could end up being quite an asset in a couple of years. Or not. We just don't know. And we also don't know what's going to develop with other guys, even those 4 star recruits we have signed and committed.

Arkansas twitter celeb
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

HawgHeadCheese

I feel the same but he is what he is. Long, athletic, can run, and fits our system well.

Hawg Red

Manny was a walk-on for half his time here. He shunned an opportunity to sign a D1 scholarship with Missouri State to take his chances as a walk-on here. He bet on himself. Not a lot of kids do that, clearly. He stuck it out and everyone got to play last year by default. Trey Thompson didn't show anything in very few minutes as a freshman, either, but then he also had no real competition (unless you are counting Willy Kouassi) for minutes his sophomore year. That was huge for his development. Hazen will not have the luxury of unearned playing time while he's here. If he does, something has gone terribly, terribly wrong. I don't see Hazen possessing the ability to raise up a depth chart. Reggie Perry is already better than Brachen Hazen. I say that with absolute authority. Perry is a dominant high school player that plays great competition and then also does it on the summer circuit in AAU. Henderson will find his way to Anderson's heart with defense. Bailey's already ahead of Hazen. The deck is stacked against. If he's fine cheering from the bench and loves Fayetteville, more power to him. I just think he'll get to a point where he wants to salvage his playing career.

Pinto

Just a diehard fan and Univ of Arkansas alum. Who are you?

Pinto

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on March 09, 2017, 02:00:15 am
Arkansas twitter celeb

Celebrity? I'll take that as a compliment

Letsroll1200

I've seen him play several times and he doesn't jump out to you on Parkview team. He is aggressive around the rim but will be a work in progress on the hill.

Letsroll1200

It's too early to give up on Hazen. This staff will find away to use Hazen's strengths to get him on the floor. There was a lot of the same talk surrounding Trey Thompson but he has a big piece for this team this season.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 09, 2017, 08:22:37 am
It's too early to give up on Hazen. This staff will find away to use Hazen's strengths to get him on the floor. There was a lot of the same talk surrounding Trey Thompson but he has a big piece for this team this season.

Trey Thompson was forced into action last year because there was no else to play. Just him and Kouassi behind Moses. Not the same as what is going on with and will continue to go on with Hazen being behind more talented players. We know that due to current trends, someone will transfer. Why wouldn't we want it to be the guy who never played? If you must lose someone (and we must because that is reality), who would you rather lose if not Hazen?

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 09, 2017, 09:56:34 am
Trey Thompson was forced into action last year because there was no else to play. Just him and Kouassi behind Moses. Not the same as what is going on with and will continue to go on with Hazen being behind more talented players. We know that due to current trends, someone will transfer. Why wouldn't we want it to be the guy who never played? If you must lose someone (and we must because that is reality), who would you rather lose if not Hazen?

We haven't seen enough of Hazen to come up with a conclusion about his inability to play ahead of the incoming guys.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 09, 2017, 10:10:05 am
We haven't seen enough of Hazen to come up with a conclusion about his inability to play ahead of the incoming guys.

Yahtzee!

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 09, 2017, 06:50:56 am
Manny was a walk-on for half his time here. He shunned an opportunity to sign a D1 scholarship with Missouri State to take his chances as a walk-on here. He bet on himself. Not a lot of kids do that, clearly. He stuck it out and everyone got to play last year by default. Trey Thompson didn't show anything in very few minutes as a freshman, either, but then he also had no real competition (unless you are counting Willy Kouassi) for minutes his sophomore year. That was huge for his development. Hazen will not have the luxury of unearned playing time while he's here. If he does, something has gone terribly, terribly wrong. I don't see Hazen possessing the ability to raise up a depth chart. Reggie Perry is already better than Brachen Hazen. I say that with absolute authority. Perry is a dominant high school player that plays great competition and then also does it on the summer circuit in AAU. Henderson will find his way to Anderson's heart with defense. Bailey's already ahead of Hazen. The deck is stacked against. If he's fine cheering from the bench and loves Fayetteville, more power to him. I just think he'll get to a point where he wants to salvage his playing career.

We're never going to have a full roster of absolute superstar studs.  Hazen can fill minutes in the future.  I think he can contribute quite a bit in the future, if we can get him to stay.  I also think he could be really good and play a lot more for another team (think JaCorey Williams at MTSU) in a year or two.  He has the athletic ability/size/skill to do so.  I hope we can find a way to keep all of our freshmen.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 09, 2017, 10:10:05 am

"Keep watching"

skinnypig

yeah Hazen can't jump at all :-\

Pinto

He's 6'9"!! That's average! Not jumping "well" as you guys said. Hazen isn't what you would call "athletic".

Pinto

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 09, 2017, 10:30:20 am
We're never going to have a full roster of absolute superstar studs.  Hazen can fill minutes in the future.  I think he can contribute quite a bit in the future, if we can get him to stay.  I also think he could be really good and play a lot more for another team (think JaCorey Williams at MTSU) in a year or two.  He has the athletic ability/size/skill to do so.  I hope we can find a way to keep all of our freshmen.

It took Jacorey 5 years and a team dismissal to develop into the player that he is. Hopefully by Hazen's senior year he will be serviceable but i don't see him being a huge impact.

Hawg Red

May the best players win playing time. If Hazen can do that, great, but he has a considerable task in front of him. 3 players on the roster at his position already in front of him for next season and a high school senior-to-be already better than him (Perry, no debate). He's going to really need to go at Ethan Henderson in practice and hope that we don't sign another 4 or a backup center for Gafford. That's his path. I'd still be surprised if he was still here as a junior. I think he'll give it another year at least, though.

skinnypig

Quote from: Pinto on March 09, 2017, 11:12:52 am
He's 6'9"!! That's average! Not jumping "well" as you guys said. Hazen isn't what you would call "athletic".
I've seen seven footers who can get up a dunk of a rebound like that

ShadowHawg

I see people arguing about Hazen as if there are specific criteria he has to operate in.

You don't even begin to know what role we signed him for. Not to mention that there are sub types within positions themselves.

Shooting guards. There are slashers, scorers, and shooters.

It's true for all positions. So Hazen doesn't have to be BETTER than so and so to see the court, he can just better in a certain area to make the rotation.

hogwood

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 09, 2017, 11:58:26 am
I see people arguing about Hazen as if there are specific criteria he has to operate in.

You don't even begin to know what role we signed him for. Not to mention that there are sub types within positions themselves.

Shooting guards. There are slashers, scorers, and shooters.

It's true for all positions. So Hazen doesn't have to be BETTER than so and so to see the court, he can just better in a certain area to make the rotation.

I see Hazen as having a lot of potential. Who knows what he can improve on in the offseason. Don't forget he was rated higher than Bailey and Jones out of high school. To me I see his ceiling being a more athletic version (skinnier, faster) of Ryan Spangler (OK), which would be very very good for any team to have. I have liked how he looks out there on the court when he's given the chance, he just needs more time.

Pinto

Quote from: hogwood on March 09, 2017, 12:16:43 pm
I see Hazen as having a lot of potential. Who knows what he can improve on in the offseason. Don't forget he was rated higher than Bailey and Jones out of high school. To me I see his ceiling being a more athletic version (skinnier, faster) of Ryan Spangler (OK), which would be very very good for any team to have. I have liked how he looks out there on the court when he's given the chance, he just needs more time.

His team playing in the EYBL circuit has a lot to do with the higher rating...

razorback1829

Hazen skill set for us who have seen him will fit in just fine. He can shoot the ball. Like... really shoot it. With his blend of length (which you can't teach), bounciness, and floor running ability. His game is more a stretch four. Think Chandler Parsons, Eric murphy from Florida. And yes he can really jump. Has put Moses in the rim a couple of times at practice from what I'm told. He will develop nicely.

Pinto

Quote from: razorback1829 on March 09, 2017, 01:15:54 pm
Hazen skill set for us who have seen him will fit in just fine. He can shoot the ball. Like... really shoot it. With his blend of length (which you can't teach), bounciness, and floor running ability. His game is more a stretch four. Think Chandler Parsons, Eric murphy from Florida. And yes he can really jump. Has put Moses in the rim a couple of times at practice from what I'm told. He will develop nicely.

Come on man, Chandler Parsons?? You're going to dislocate your shoulder reaching that hard. He's nowhere near as athletic and versatile as Parsons was...

Youngsta71701

Henderson is a raw and unselfish player with all the athleticism in the world. He just has to develop a skill set. The potential is there though.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: duckman on March 08, 2017, 05:34:12 pm
Zhaire's dad, Billy was as amazing athlete but he is an amazing person.  He has had a lot of adversity in his life recently and his attitude is unreal.  Watch this...

AWESOME!!!
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Hollywood870

Quote from: Pinto on March 09, 2017, 11:12:52 am
The first thing I noticed this year was his athleticsm. I recall him barely missing a one handed ally-oop this year and he had to sky to go get it.