Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Recruiting and Beyond

Started by ucahogfan, July 01, 2013, 05:25:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on May 24, 2014, 07:09:00 am
Uh.... Bryant doesn't have half of the talent Fayetteville does.
This isn't the first time a Bock lead team has run ruled a talented team like this. In 2010 they beat Van Buren while mr. Brandon Moore and Tyler Spoon were there.

I think Arnold may be more of a beneficiary of superior talent.

Yeah, nobody from Bryant plays in college or the pro's.

Super Hog

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on May 24, 2014, 07:09:00 am

I think Arnold may be more of a beneficiary of superior talent.

Nailed it ......

yraciv

Quote from: Super Hog on May 24, 2014, 11:22:12 am
Nailed it ......

Arnold has been at this a long time.  This might be his most talented team, but he has won championships without rosters of D1 talent.  Yes Fayetteville has had a decent amount of guys have success after high school, but so has Bryant. And Travis Wood, Bryant, is the best either school has produced. 

futurehogdad

May 24, 2014, 05:44:07 pm #303 Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 06:13:49 pm by futurehogdad
Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on May 23, 2014, 11:36:07 pm
Bryant's coaches called the pitches so I doubt the experience of Knight was relevant. Knight has been just as dominate as the other 2.

Still unsure why they don't start Pate.

Great coaching beats great talent in high school most of the time!

Your giving Bock too much credit, he has the same youth feeder program like Fayetteville does.  Competitive baseball from an early age and talented group parents that left SW Little Rock in the late 80's.

My only gripe about Bock is he hides throughout the season playing some lower classification teams so you really don't know what he has until late in the season, which is good I guess but it doesn't showcase your players to scouts and coaches.

1.  Pate didn't start because he threw 108 pitches on Monday.  He would have started on Friday had he pitched on Saturday his scheduled start in the State Playoffs.  He was told he would start the finals but the Saturday game was rained out and pushed to Monday.
2.  Arnold has always pitched pitchers in a sequence like he did on Saturday going all the way back to 2004.

I think the talent on Fayetteville's team was leaderless(Pate is a slacker/sandbagger and will not do well with DVH if he doesn't mature).  They had talent but nobody like Ben Tchep & Blake Parker then 2006-2009 like Carver, Fuller, Shady Broyles and a few other names.  Those guys would get in your face if you didn't hustle or do what needed to be done.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: ricepig on May 24, 2014, 10:30:41 am
Yeah, nobody from Bryant plays in college or the pro's.

Just saying Bryant doesn't have 5 SEC committed players like Fayetteville.
Quote from: futurehogdad on May 24, 2014, 05:44:07 pm
Your giving Bock too much credit, he has the same youth feeder program like Fayetteville does.  Competitive baseball from an early age and talented group parents that left SW Little Rock in the late 80's.

My only gripe about Bock is he hides throughout the season playing some lower classification teams so you really don't know what he has until late in the season, which is good I guess but it doesn't showcase your players to scouts and coaches.

1.  Pate didn't start because he pitched a lot the other day.
2.  Arnold has always pitched pitchers in a sequence like he did on Saturday going all the way back to 2004.

I think the talent on Fayetteville's team was leaderless(Pate is a slacker/sandbagger and will not do well with DVH if he doesn't mature).  They had talent but nobody like Ben Tchep & Blake Parker then 2006-2009 like Carver, Fuller, Shady Broyles and a few other names.  Those guys would get in your face if you didn't hustle or do what needed to be done.

I really don't think I am giving him too much credit. I might just be biased though from what I know of him.

Lack of leadership can be contributed to coaching, too IMO...

ricepig

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on May 25, 2014, 01:25:09 pm
Just saying Bryant doesn't have 5 SEC committed players like Fayetteville.
I really don't think I am giving him too much credit. I might just be biased though from what I know of him.

Lack of leadership can be contributed to coaching, too IMO...

Who do they have besides Pate and Pagnozzi?

ucahogfan

Quote from: ricepig on May 25, 2014, 01:35:45 pm
Who do they have besides Pate and Pagnozzi?
Drew Tyler and Grant Koch are both 2015 commits for the Hogs.

ricepig

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 25, 2014, 04:20:50 pm
Drew Tyler and Grant Koch are both 2015 commits for the Hogs.

Ok, never heard of them, but that's not unusual for me in baseball.

ucahogfan

Quote from: ricepig on May 25, 2014, 04:23:28 pm
Ok, never heard of them, but that's not unusual for me in baseball.
Yeah, baseball recruiting tends to fly under the radar and not much is made of it unless an in-state player goes elsewhere.

ricepig

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 25, 2014, 04:33:23 pm
Yeah, baseball recruiting tends to fly under the radar and not much is made of it unless an in-state player goes elsewhere.

Yeah, I knew of Pate and Pagnozzi, didn't hear much of the others during the high school season.

ucahogfan

Quote from: ricepig on May 25, 2014, 04:37:38 pm
Yeah, I knew of Pate and Pagnozzi, didn't hear much of the others during the high school season.
Well, Pate and Pagnozzi were both pitching at a potentially historic rate for most of the season and the fact that Koch and Tyler are juniors so I didn't do as much research as I do for the players actually signed.

ucahogfan

Keaton McKinney, Keith Grieshaber, and Ryan Fant all participated in the PG Pre-Draft Showcase a week ago and their grades have since been released.

Keaton McKinney was again given a grade of 10.  He topped out at 93 at the event, but again showed what is probably the best change up in high school.  He also flashed a curve, but it is a work in process.  He also was praised for his ability to pound the zone and work fast.  Just from what I gather, I think he could be comparable to Aaron Nola, but can hit with power.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=283621

Keith Grieshaber was given a grade of 10 as well at the event.  Ran a 6.61 60 which indicates he has plus speed and flashed a very good arm.  Praised for his current hitting tools, and has a projectable build where he could add some strength.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=338851

Ryan Fant participated in his first PG Showcase and graded out at 9.  Worked in the upper 80s and topped at 90, but sounds like a different pitcher than his older brother as his second pitch is a curveball and not the change Randall had.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=359268

ucahogfan

The Hogs have picked up their 22nd known commitment of the 2014 class.  The time it is Blinn JC 1B Cullen Gassaway.  Gassaway will be a junior when he arrives on campus in the fall and could compete right away to replace Fisher.

On the season, Gassaway is hitting .309 (59-191) with 22 2B (9 more than anyone else on his team), 1 3B, 8 HRs (team leader as well), 57 RBIs (16 more than the next closest teammate), and has scored 32 runs.  That means 31 of his 59 hits have gone for extra bases which is impressive.  He has drawn 23 walks compared to 34 Ks and is 7-10 on SBs.

How I found him was looking at the rosters of the Northwoods League.  He will be spending the summer playing for the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters along with fellow Hogs Zach Jackson, Blake Baxendale, and Clark Eagan.

Blinn JC made the JUCO World Series so they might still be playing.

yraciv

Blinn won Saturday, and play today at 4. Gassaway went 1 for 4 with a double in the opener.

Scott7703

The more guys we add late the worse I feel like we will be hit by the draft.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Scott7703 on May 26, 2014, 10:28:14 pm
The more guys we add late the worse I feel like we will be hit by the draft.
I wouldn't really worry that much.

These guys are having excellent years at the JUCO level and are deserving of signing here and competing for a roster spot for the 2015 team.

Regardless, we will find out our position with all of our recruits in less than 2 weeks after the draft.  Anyone selected after the 10th round is as good as on campus IMO unless the team that drafted them goes way over slot to sign them.