Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Article about new baseball

Started by ucahogfan, May 26, 2014, 07:03:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadrubi

Basically every ball hit to the warning tracks will be home runs next year, along with a few more due to being able to square a few more up.  I think we will see a slight talent drop off at the pitching position for a year or two.  Along with this less spin, more squarely hit harder hit will find there way in the field of play.  Can schools like us keep up these era numbers?  I hope so!  But as well we could have really used this little but more pop the last two years!

Good find!

ucahogfan

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 26, 2014, 10:06:49 pm
Basically every ball hit to the warning tracks will be home runs next year, along with a few more due to being able to square a few more up.  I think we will see a slight talent drop off at the pitching position for a year or two.  Along with this less spin, more squarely hit harder hit will find there way in the field of play.  Can schools like us keep up these era numbers?  I hope so!  But as well we could have really used this little but more pop the last two years!

Good find!
Pretty much.  The long ball will return to the college game.

The new ball will also show who can truly spin a breaking ball and who can't since pitchers won't have laces to aid them.  It will also make a change a much more effective offspeed pitch as those won't be affected by the lower laces.

I think we see a good medium come back.  Right now, runs/game are about 2 less than their peak (7 to 5).  I think if we get that number from 5.8 to 6.2 it will be a good number.  Those of us who still enjoy pitching duels will get those while fans who love high scoring affairs will get those as well.

The SEC has seen a huge influx of talent on the mound and that should only continue.  Vandy has like 10 guys that throw 95+.  We have 4-5 guys in that range.  Florida has 7-8 of those guys.  It seems like every team has at least 2 now.

onebadrubi

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 26, 2014, 10:17:10 pm
Pretty much.  The long ball will return to the college game.

The new ball will also show who can truly spin a breaking ball and who can't since pitchers won't have laces to aid them.  It will also make a change a much more effective offspeed pitch as those won't be affected by the lower laces.

I think we see a good medium come back.  Right now, runs/game are about 2 less than their peak (7 to 5).  I think if we get that number from 5.8 to 6.2 it will be a good number.  Those of us who still enjoy pitching duels will get those while fans who love high scoring affairs will get those as well.

The SEC has seen a huge influx of talent on the mound and that should only continue.  Vandy has like 10 guys that throw 95+.  We have 4-5 guys in that range.  Florida has 7-8 of those guys.  It seems like every team has at least 2 now.

That's something I haven't thought about yet, velocity may pick up a little bit too.  I'm one that really don't care to see the runs increase per say.  The good hitters are still getting theirs and the good hitting teams are still getting 5+ runs in 2 games in a weekend series.  Teams like us that need this are still going to need to improve their hitting against the hitting schools because they are only going to get better as well.