Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas can't annouce anything until Smith is officially out

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, January 13, 2017, 04:30:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 13, 2017, 09:28:14 am
It's amazing how someone not involved or ever having to hire any coach to work for them as an assistant is such a coaching hire expert.

you don't have to be a cfb coach to understand how to best hire/fire people. 

Scott7703

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on January 13, 2017, 06:16:40 am
Coach B has a personal relationship with Partridge & Diaco so that is a great insurance policy on them being impatient.

If he says your definitely my guy for the job then they will believe him and wait.

That's a good point. My only concern here is why is Diaco interviewing with Nebraska if that's the case?

RebelW

Could Diaco only have come to Arkansas to talk to Bret and Paul Rhoads about the 3-4?

PonderinHog

Quote from: Scott7703 on January 13, 2017, 09:38:06 am

That's a good point. My only concern here is why is Diaco interviewing with Nebraska if that's the case?
Because he has a personal relationship with Bret Bielema ???

Wildhog

My concern here is that we're just going to promote Rhoads and then hire some FCS level position coach with "Texas ties."
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Scott7703

Quote from: Wildhog on January 13, 2017, 09:39:29 am
My concern here is that we're just going to promote Rhoads and then hire some FCS level position coach with "Texas ties."

Could very well happen too.

The Boar War

Quote from: RebelW on January 13, 2017, 09:39:03 am
Could Diaco only have come to Arkansas to talk to Bret and Paul Rhoads about the 3-4?

Possibly, but I wouldn't fly to anther state just to talk.  If he were just giving a "tutorial" why do it in the middle of a defensive coordinator search?

ricepig

A couple of things, I would surmise that the Smith to Minnesota deal, deals with money. I know, HV says fire him, payoff the $850,000+ and move on. Of course, most saying this are "not renewing tickets", "complaining about the NEZ", and our ROI. I suspect if we don't see some movement on this today, then we'll have an announcement of an opening next week, probably on Monday. Next, everyone that wants Partridge and Diaco hired, need to think of how it was to have a "best" friend working for you, or even a relative. Sometimes valuing your continued friendship is more important than working together. Both of these guys just got fired from a HC job, and may not want to jump into the frying pan here. Just a couple of thoughts, hopefully this all works itself out and we have some new coaches on the defensive side.

Piggfoot

I don't believe Diaco is coming. Hogville has never been right on coaches.
If you can't hire until a position is open then why can't you move them to consulting positions and leave it up to them to find a job elsewhere?
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Danimal

Quote from: ricepig on January 13, 2017, 10:01:39 am
A couple of things, I would surmise that the Smith to Minnesota deal, deals with money. I know, HV says fire him, payoff the $850,000+ and move on. Of course, most saying this are "not renewing tickets", "complaining about the NEZ", and our ROI. I suspect if we don't see some movement on this today, then we'll have an announcement of an opening next week, probably on Monday. Next, everyone that wants Partridge and Diaco hired, need to think of how it was to have a "best" friend working for you, or even a relative. Sometimes valuing your continued friendship is more important than working together. Both of these guys just got fired from a HC job, and may not want to jump into the frying pan here. Just a couple of thoughts, hopefully this all works itself out and we have some new coaches on the defensive side.
Food for thought indeed.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: HogShat on January 13, 2017, 07:27:51 am
They were a big fan of Smiley too... And I bought in to it as well...
A big part of defense is being motivated by your leader and wanting to play for him.  Rhides would bring that.  I haven't talked to a single player that has a negative word about Rhodes.  As a coach or a man.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 13, 2017, 10:12:04 am
A big part of defense is being motivated by your leader and wanting to play for him.  Rhides would bring that.  I haven't talked to a single player that has a negative word about Rhodes.  As a coach or a man.

That's good to hear.  Appreciate the insight. 

Darren DeLoach

You guys are class acts. It's terrible to have a head coach that treats his staff with honor and with ethics. 
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Wildhog

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 13, 2017, 10:04:39 am
I don't believe Diaco is coming. Hogville has never been right on coaches.
If you can't hire until a position is open then why can't you move them to consulting positions and leave it up to them to find a job elsewhere?

I don't think there's any way we get him.  We'll find a way to screw this up.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pancetta

I have to think it's all tied up in money talks. Robb is guaranteed $850k next year AND he actually owes $250k if he leaves. So he probably not only wants what he is guaranteed but he also wants a legal doc saying we have waived his buyout. I assume JL and CBB are playing chicken to see if they can get Robb to blink and accept partial buyout. Maybe they think he is playing them by purposely taking a lower than market payout from Minn to stick it to us. I know it's not my money but I think they should pay him about $450k free and clear and work on locking up the best replacements possible. .
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

Pancetta

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on January 13, 2017, 10:13:24 am
You guys are class acts. It's terrible to have a head coach that treats his staff with honor and with ethics.
Is he or is trying to fire someone with a guaranteed contract but not give him the guaranteed money?  No one here knows or if they do they won't be posting about it.
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

Jimmy Chitwood

Quote from: factchecker on January 13, 2017, 05:15:19 am
Do we have any idea on the timeline for Robb to be "officially" hired by Minnesota?

Are we sure that Seagrest is out?

The only reason I give the Robb news any credence is because credible news outlets have reported it.  Everything else has been message board conjecture.  Plenty of pay board guys will do the whole "You won't believe who Arkansas is going to hire..... click here for VIP access" just to drive up subscriptions.

I think it's safe to say that as of right now Bielema, Rhoads, Anderson, Enos, and Smith are currently staying because they are out recruiting.

It would be nice if someone had more credible information or at least some semblance of timeline.

A recruiting article on WholeHog yesterday said that Segrest is also still out recruiting.
Good things come to those who wait, but only what's left behind by those that hustle.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Redhogs on January 13, 2017, 08:53:14 am
The best DC available the off season has already been hired by Oregon because we drug our feet.

I love when someone tells on themselves.  He wasn't "available", he took that job while still having a job at Coloardo.  So by those standards, every DC is available.

onebadrubi

To drive up his price...l

Pancetta

Maybe since we seem to be keeping our options open then he wants to do the same ? 
Pancetta

LRHawg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 13, 2017, 05:43:59 am
The players return for their first meeting of the spring semester at 8pm Monday.  It wouldn't surprise me if any new staff members were introduced/announced to the team at that meeting.  Especially if the announcement is that Rhodes is promoted.  The players are big fans of Rhodes.

Fan, I know there's only so much you can divulge to us, but is there anything to the rumors of "player disunity" and its contribution to our bad performances in the last two games of the season?

WriterWrong

Quote from: Redhogs on January 13, 2017, 08:53:14 am
The best DC available the off season has already been hired by Oregon because we drug our feet.

If we hire Bob Diaco, we made a home run hire.

BigoBoys

I was on a plane Tuesday AM with Smith to Dallas, don't know where his final destination was.  Was not wearing any Razorback gear. 

26.2Hog

Well, he's unemployed and looking for a job.

hogman99

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 13, 2017, 10:12:04 am

That is nice and all, but I would like for them to fear him a little as well. Good defensive teams play with controlled emotion and anger.

Look no further than Marshmallow Mike and how that "nice guy" thing is working for the BBall team.

FANONTHEHILL

January 13, 2017, 11:24:53 am #75 Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 11:57:26 am by FANONTHEHILL
Quote from: hogman99 on January 13, 2017, 11:03:25 am
That is nice and all, but I would like for them to fear him a little as well. Good defensive teams play with controlled emotion and anger.

Look no further than Marshmallow Mike and how that "nice guy" thing is working for the BBall team.

I fully agree with you and please don't think that I mean that Rhodes isn't demanding and intense.  I have the chance to see a lot of practice and Rhodes is very intense.  He is all over them when they are doing wrong and glorifies them when they do it right.  He knows his players. He builds
Relationships. He understands the dynamic of criticism and nuture. I think that is something that's been missing.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

jgphillips3

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 13, 2017, 11:24:53 am
I fully agree with you and please don't think that I mean that Rhodes isn't demanding and intense.  I have the chance to see a lot of practice and Rhodes is very intense.  He is all over them when they are doing wrong and glorifies them when they do it right.  He knows his players. He builds
Relationships. He understands the dynamic of criticism and nuture. I think that is something that's been missing.

The best coaches can do both.  Knowing when to chew and when to praise is key.  If he was our DC I would be fine with it.  If we gave both him and Diaco...wow.  Thanks for the insider info.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

hawginbigd1

Quote from: BigoBoys on January 13, 2017, 10:49:01 am
I was on a plane Tuesday AM with Smith to Dallas, don't know where his final destination was.  Was not wearing any Razorback gear.
Clay Henry said elsewhere that it iss done deal, RS already in MN working FWIW

LRHawg

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 13, 2017, 04:05:55 pm
Looks complete to me

https://twitter.com/CoachSmithMN

I don't know if this is the same thing as "Facebook official" but usually by the time that's updated things have already been moving behind the scenes a while. Sounds like a done deal to me.

Oklahawg

Too many posters contradict themselves. If you want to hire great assistants then you better create the environment great coaches covet.

Btw, Good to  the censor working again. It undermines credibility of posters when their respect for the coach is so cancerous he is not called by his given name. That is how we make fun of coaches for OTHER teams.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

greenie

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 13, 2017, 04:26:54 pm
Too many posters contradict themselves. If you want to hire great assistants then you better create the environment great coaches covet.

Btw, Good to  the censor working again. It undermines credibility of posters when their respect for the coach is so cancerous he is not called by his given name. That is how we make fun of coaches for OTHER teams.

Agreed. 

Nosboar Accubond

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on January 13, 2017, 09:32:02 am
you don't have to be a cfb coach to understand how to best hire/fire people. 

You need industry experience. How can one even have a half way clue what is needed for a particular job unless they know about that job. I would NEVER hire a hotel manager unless they had prior experience or at least had worked in the industry. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

factchecker

The same posters will be outraged if someone brings up bad news about Louisville or Booby Perverto. 
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PorkSoda

Quote from: LZH on January 13, 2017, 05:45:44 am
Kinda like the difference between swatting a kid on the butt a few times and giving him a timeout with a popsicle when he misbehaves.
has Smith or Segrest misbehaved? 

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: WriterWrong on January 13, 2017, 10:47:09 am
If we hire Bob Diaco, we made a home run hire.
because it top 70 defense against the AAC is so awesome?
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 13, 2017, 06:30:28 pm
because it top 70 defense against the AAC is so awesome?
Bc Bob choose to be a Husker.....lovely
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hogcard1964

Quote from: 26.2Hog on January 13, 2017, 10:53:53 am
Well, he's unemployed and looking for a job.

Well Long may lose him to Nebraska pretty soon.

tophawg19

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 13, 2017, 07:16:46 pm

Well Long may lose him to Nebraska pretty soon.
He runs a bend but don't break . DB's play off the receivers with a big cushion . He has many of the same issues we just had with smith. by the second game , you would be screaming about how bad he is . Too many on here aren't taking the time to learn about the coach, they just get excited by the hot name . I would take ASU's Joe cauthren over him 10 out of 10 . a young aggressive coach whose defense attacks instead of a bend but don't break guy.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hogfansince79

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 13, 2017, 08:13:50 pm
He runs a bend but don't break . DB's play off the receivers with a big cushion . He has many of the same issues we just had with smith. by the second game , you would be screaming about how bad he is . Too many on here aren't taking the time to learn about the coach, they just get excited by the hot name . I would take ASU's Joe cauthren over him 10 out of 10 . a young aggressive coach whose defense attacks instead of a bend but don't break guy.

^^^ this
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

Scott7703

Just with this great enviroment you speak of actually attracted quality coaches. To this point it sure hasn't and the ones we have had don't stay around long.

hogman99

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 13, 2017, 11:24:53 am

Based on your first hand knowledge that is great to hear. All signs point that he is a great DC, I was hoping he had that mean and demanding streak as well.

PorkSoda

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 13, 2017, 08:13:50 pm
I agree.  with PR in the wings, BB can take his time and evaluate a number of options before making a final decision.  If I remember correctly, a coaches convention is coming up.  it could be a good time to chat up a few guys, of maybe someone he hasn't thought of to seek him out and make an impression.

tophawg19

it is over . it was the 8th through 11th. we are back recruiting now
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

ChitownHawg

Agreed. It just comes off as childish when someone posts the coach's name wrong.

I'm happy to see us getting a new DC, but I'm not going to call CRS or CBB childish names. I am 100% sure CRS came here with the idea of having success. For whatever reason it didn't. From what I can tell he gave it everything he had - which should be respected.

I can be disappointed in the results on the field without acting like a spoiled brat. Some Hogvillians need to know how to vent without being an a$$hat.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 13, 2017, 11:44:26 pm
I agree.  with PR in the wings, BB can take his time and evaluate a number of options before making a final decision.  If I remember correctly, a coaches convention is coming up.  it could be a good time to chat up a few guys, of maybe someone he hasn't thought of to seek him out and make an impression.

The AFCA Convention was January 8th-11th.
Go Hogs Go!