Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas can't annouce anything until Smith is officially out

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, January 13, 2017, 04:30:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

That doesn't mean everything isn't going as planned behind the scenes.

The only way we keep both Rhoads and bring in Diaco is to slap Co-Defensive on the title to leave a spot for Partridge. (Defensive Line Coach)

Still not sure if Hargreaves job is safe.  In the meantime Seagrest has to also find employment. You can't employ without a opening.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

factchecker

Do we have any idea on the timeline for Robb to be "officially" hired by Minnesota?

Are we sure that Seagrest is out?

The only reason I give the Robb news any credence is because credible news outlets have reported it.  Everything else has been message board conjecture.  Plenty of pay board guys will do the whole "You won't believe who Arkansas is going to hire..... click here for VIP access" just to drive up subscriptions.

I think it's safe to say that as of right now Bielema, Rhoads, Anderson, Enos, and Smith are currently staying because they are out recruiting.

It would be nice if someone had more credible information or at least some semblance of timeline.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hawghiggs

Then why aren't we opening up spots? Why are we waiting for them to find jobs? If Seagrest is out. Then let him go.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Hawghiggs on January 13, 2017, 05:21:05 am
Then why aren't we opening up spots? Why are we waiting for them to find jobs? If Seagrest is out. Then let him go.
Because that is not how we work.  Plain and simple. 
All Gas, No Brakes!

FANONTHEHILL

The players return for their first meeting of the spring semester at 8pm Monday.  It wouldn't surprise me if any new staff members were introduced/announced to the team at that meeting.  Especially if the announcement is that Rhodes is promoted.  The players are big fans of Rhodes.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

LZH

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 13, 2017, 05:34:53 am

Kinda like the difference between swatting a kid on the butt a few times and giving him a timeout with a popsicle when he misbehaves.

JackJohnson

Because we don't operate like all of our competitors and if that means losing a tremendous upgrade and getting stuck with the overmatched assistant then so be it.

We aren't flinching

hogcard1964

I agree with this. They're gone and they know it. Get 'em out.

The_Bionic_Pig

Coach B has a personal relationship with Partridge & Diaco so that is a great insurance policy on them being impatient.

If he says your definitely my guy for the job then they will believe him and wait.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 13, 2017, 05:46:33 am
Because we don't operate like all of our competitors and if that means losing a tremendous upgrade and getting stuck with the overmatched assistant then so be it.

We aren't flinching
This line of thinking is comical. So since they don't announce something publicly you think steps aren't being taken right? Because you don't know what's going on, so therefore nothing must be going on.

Which coach have we lost out on because we were afraid to move, specifically?

hoglady

I understand that way of thinking to a certain degree.
But you shouldn't miss out on a top tier coach the program needs - to help a coach you are basically firing save a little face.
First responsibility is what is best for the program, not what is best for an individual coach.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

NuttinItUp

To be fair, that's not how anyone works nowadays.

If you worked that way, you would have trouble finding quality coaches.

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on January 13, 2017, 06:16:40 am
Coach B has a personal relationship with Partridge & Diaco so that is a great insurance policy on them being impatient.

If he says your definitely my guy for the job then they will believe him and wait.
But they don't have to wait. Making an offer and them accepting is not contingent on it being announced.

I've had plenty of guys that we knew for weeks that one was out and I had their replacement lined up. We didn't announce it until the time was right.

I don't see a risk here.

JackJohnson

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 13, 2017, 06:19:21 am
To be fair, that's not how anyone works nowadays.

If you worked that way, you would have trouble finding quality coaches.

Working "that way" and we ended up with Segrest,Hargreaves, Anderson and Robb Smith- none of which were in demand at major P5 schools, or any really for that matter.  I would hate to see what the coaching pool would look like if we didn't "work that way".

Maybe B.ert isn't as easy to work for as we were led to believe

harrisburghog

Taking the warm and fuzzy approach is the reason the program is in the shape it's in.

Pork Twain

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 13, 2017, 06:50:27 am
Working "that way" and we ended up with Segrest,Hargreaves, Anderson and Robb Smith- none of which were in demand at major P5 schools, or any really for that matter.  I would hate to see what the coaching pool would look like if we didn't "work that way".

Hard to find anything in this post that is not an assumption.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Inhogswetrust

January 13, 2017, 07:22:24 am #16 Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 09:25:22 am by Inhogswetrust

Or maybe he's the kind of guy to give someone a chance like he was given when he went to Iowa to play and also when he got the Wisconsin job.
Frank liked to hire up and comers sprinkled in with a couple of experienced guys.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HogShat

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 13, 2017, 05:43:59 am
  Especially if the announcement is that Rhodes is promoted.  The players are big fans of Rhodes.

They were a big fan of Smiley too... And I bought in to it as well...

ricepig

You have no idea of any of that. Who did we offer and didn't get in the past? Let's see some facts, not conjecture on this? Also, who's staff is it anyways, he makes the decisions for his staff, lol......

LZH

It's better to cut bait sooner than later. But in this case I am fairly confident that all of the coaches who will be on staff next year are already in agreement. Possibly even $ terms have been worked out. It could be that there are circumstances suggesting it's best not to go public yet. Plus, I bet plenty of recruits have been notified (if that's allowed) of who they will be playing for next year.

If I am wrong on this and we are still scrambling and looking, I will be even more disappointed. And yes, that is possible.

HamSammich

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 13, 2017, 07:06:41 am
Hard to find anything in this post that is not an assumption.
True but if you are being honest this whole thread is a giant assumption.

JackJohnson

Quote from: ricepig on January 13, 2017, 07:32:53 am
You have no idea of any of that. Who did we offer and didn't get in the past? Let's see some facts, not conjecture on this? Also, who's staff is it anyways, he makes the decisions for his staff, lol......

My point was doing it the way we do we still  ended up with a lot of very mediocre coaches so what's it going to hurt to do something different

ricepig

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 13, 2017, 07:46:47 am
My point was doing it the way we do we still  ended up with a lot of very mediocre coaches so what's it going to hurt to do something different

Well, either become the head coach or AD if you want it differently, lol. Who knows, in two years or so, they'll let you decide on the hires. Do you think Bielema is sitting there waiting on Minnesota without a plan? Most think Rhoads will be the DC, Diaco is rumored to have interviewed, but who truthfully knows? What makes you think he wants to come here anyway? If he does fine, if not fine. It's Bielema's staff, he'll put on it who he thinks is the best fit, within our budget, yes, we have one, and personality fits.

Hogwild

Why isn't Smith out?

I have to think it is a money issue, as in how much are we going to pay Smith to leave?

Fleck said on the radio that he wanted to have his staff in place by Thursday, and all of them on campus by Sunday.  The Star Tribune has confirmed the Gophers' hiring of their entire offensive staff (OC,OL-TE,WR,RB) and few on defense, Linguist and their LB coach who was sick last year.

But when it comes to Smith they continue to say-
Quotereported that Fleck will hire Robb Smith from Arkansas to be Minnesota's defensive coordinator, though Gophers sources have yet to confirm this.

I feel pretty confident that Smith will end up there and believe the only hold up is finance. After paying $5 million to buyout the previous staff, and then pay Fleck $18.5 million, their athletic department might not have the resources to pay Smith what he was owed here. If they can get him for 300K the next two season, and have Arkansas pay the non off set portion, Minnesota would save a million dollars.

Now from Long's/CBB point of view why help Minnesota, if our DC is already on staff (Rhoads), we can wait them out. If is is Diaco, money isn't an issue the first two years, UCONN will pay him $3.4 million.  Now if we can save a million on the Smith deal, that's Diaco year 3 money.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on January 13, 2017, 06:20:21 am
But they don't have to wait. Making an offer and them accepting is not contingent on it being announced.

I've had plenty of guys that we knew for weeks that one was out and I had their replacement lined up. We didn't announce it until the time was right.

I don't see a risk here.

And how do you know this hasn't been done? Or isn't being done now? They could be waiting for the right time to announce it.

onebadrubi

It amazes me how you can read ones post and see just where they are in the professional world.

Razorbackers

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 13, 2017, 08:05:44 am
And how do you know this hasn't been done? Or isn't being done now? They could be waiting for the right time to announce it.

Because it would be on Hogville. #sources

It's funny to read how people that probably can't manage their own finances tell how a $100 million organization should be run.

lumphog

Redhogs

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 13, 2017, 05:46:33 am

We aren't flinching
The best DC available the off season has already been hired by Oregon because we drug our feet.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Tusks

Quote from: ricepig on January 13, 2017, 07:32:53 am

I know one fact, that group of D coaches have managed to coach 'the' historically bad UA defense ever, that is not conjecture that is FACT.

hahaha ... lololol .....
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Wildhog

I don't even really care anymore.  Bielema will be gone in a year or two, anyway. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

gawntrail

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 13, 2017, 08:59:38 am
I don't even really care anymore.  Bielema will be gone in a year or two, anyway. 

4 year extension coming......

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 13, 2017, 09:00:59 am
4 year extension coming......

God I hope not. 

But even if he did get an extension for recruiting purposes, I can't imagine him being here after another couple of disappointing seasons.
1909/1964/1965/1977

jgphillips3

I believe those coaches who are going to be replaced have a deadline to either accept another job or be fired.  I'm an employer and I try to treat my people like family.  When it's time for one to go, not for theft or something horrible, but just for poor performance but I still basically like them, I tell them they have "X" amount of time to find another job and when I will start the interviews.  I do that for their well being since it is easier to get a job while you have one.  If they fail to do that in a timely manner, their last day is still their last day.  I'm sure CBB likes his guys but likes his job more.  I'm sure there is a plan...too much chatter for their not to be.

lutherheggs

Did not Bielema state that he was not going to fire anyone a couple of weeks before the bowl game?

ricepig

Quote from: lutherheggs on January 13, 2017, 09:08:12 am
Did not Bielema state that he was not going to fire anyone a couple of weeks before the bowl game?

I don't think he was ever asked if he was going to "fire" someone.......

code red

Quote from: LZH on January 13, 2017, 05:45:44 am
Kinda like the difference between swatting a kid on the butt a few times and giving him a timeout with a popsicle when he misbehaves.
Agreed.  Other programs...(winning programs)....don't have a problem with it.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hawgon

If he hasn't been officially hired at Minnesota, it has to be a money issue.  Arkansas will need to fire him and pay him or just pay him.

PorkRinds

Quote from: lutherheggs on January 13, 2017, 09:08:12 am

No. He didn't.

hawgon

With another job more or less in hand, Smith has no incentive not to make us fire him.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

jm

I obviously don't know what staff changes will be made, but I wouldn't announce publicly anything until after I met with the players. Coaching a football team is really about managing people, and team cohesion requires a certain amount of mutual respect.

HawgTide

Maybe you aren't as smart as you think you are

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 13, 2017, 07:46:47 am

It's amazing how someone not involved or ever having to hire any coach to work for them as an assistant is such a coaching hire expert.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Scott7703

Just another area we are behind. Coaches should have already been replaced and we should've moving forward now. Instead we are still patty caking with guys half the country knows won't be on staff moving forward.

Wildhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 13, 2017, 09:28:14 am
It's amazing how someone not involved or ever having to hire any coach to work for them as an assistant is such a coaching hire expert.

It's hard to argue that our coaching staff is anything more than mediocre, though.
1909/1964/1965/1977