Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs invited to the NFL combine

Started by bennyl08, January 10, 2017, 07:44:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

January 10, 2017, 07:44:58 pm Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:58:11 pm by bennyl08
Original thread on this got trashed, but these players deserve credit.

Skipper, Sprinkle, Hatcher, Wise Jr, and Ellis have all received invites to the NFL combine so far.

A few other players that could realistically receive invites before it is all said and done, IMO, include Collins and Morgan and Ledbetter.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

factchecker

Thanks Benny.

I hope these guys do well at the combine and get the most out of their pro career.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 10, 2017, 07:44:58 pm
Original thread on this got trashed, but these players deserve credit.

Skipper, Sprinkle, Hatcher, Wise Jr, and Ellis have all received invites to the NFL combine so far.

A few other players that could realistically receive invites before it is all said and done, IMO, include Collins and Morgan.

From what I've read, Morgan's invite will depend on the number of Jr's coming out, they're waiting to see the final numbers.

bulldog04

I think Dominique Reed would show out at the combine.  It would be nice to see.

factchecker

Quote from: bulldog04 on January 10, 2017, 07:48:05 pm

He would kill the standing long jump and 40.  His frame and weight would be a detriment.  I still think he will get a shot somewhere.  His speed is a good enough attribute for a look.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hogfan14

Quote from: ricepig on January 10, 2017, 07:48:04 pm
From what I've read, Morgan's invite will depend on the number of Jr's coming out, they're waiting to see the final numbers.

Morgan doesn't really seem like a combine guy anyway. Game situations are where he could show what he's got. Saw where him and collins are playing in some game in Texas against smaller school players.

bennyl08

Quote from: hogfan14 on January 10, 2017, 07:58:58 pm
Morgan doesn't really seem like a combine guy anyway. Game situations are where he could show what he's got. Saw where him and collins are playing in some game in Texas against smaller school players.

Could you elaborate on that? I'd love to check up on that game to see how well they impress.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

He would awesome to see there. Would probably be one of the more polarizing players too. Though he'd be wise to sit out the bench press as most receivers do. I'm picturing a cartoon of him lifting the weight up and his arms just falling off.

Still, if what coach has said is true, he'd run a 4.27 forty, have an 11' broad jump, close to a 50" vertical? However, lack of consistent production, being about 40 pounds lighter than normal for his height. I think the publicity of doing that at the combine as opposed to a pro-day could get him seen by more NFL teams, have them talking about him for about a month or so more, and genuinely improve his draft stock by a round, maybe 2.

hogfan14

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 10, 2017, 08:00:29 pm
Could you elaborate on that? I'd love to check up on that game to see how well they impress.

I guess it's more of a scrimmage than a game.

http://arkansas.247sports.com/Bolt/2-Hogs-participating-in-college-showcase-50449550

Saw where someone said Morgan may be the best prospect there. Several A-State players too.

Big Boi

Quote from: hogfan14 on January 11, 2017, 09:11:11 am
I guess it's more of a scrimmage than a game.

http://arkansas.247sports.com/Bolt/2-Hogs-participating-in-college-showcase-50449550

Saw where someone said Morgan may be the best prospect there. Several A-State players too.
Must be some showcase.

Poker_hog

Some preseason projections had wise going late first round.  Gotta figure his stock has taken a hit.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

lstewart

Combine type data comparing Reed and Morgan would be a very good example as to why you can't determine who is a good football player by some of these tests. Reed would probably run a 4.39 and Morgan would probably run a 4.69. There is no question who was the better player on the field.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Poker_hog on January 11, 2017, 09:29:39 am
Some preseason projections had wise going late first round.  Gotta figure his stock has taken a hit.

Yeah. No way he is. I'd say 4th to 7th.

WooPig90

longpig

Show everything but fragility.  Lots of players that can do that.
Don't be scared, be smart.

longpig

5 invites and two  hanging in the balance is damn impressive.   When was the last time Arkansas had a showing this good, 2008?

jackflash

I like Reed but think he will have hard time making a NFL team

Poker_hog

Quote from: jackflash on January 11, 2017, 12:15:30 pm
I like Reed but think he will have hard time making a NFL team

He has more raw talent than anyone on that list.  He didn't reach his potential here.  Maybe the NFL can get that out of him.  He wouldn't be the first player to be a better pro than college player.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

onebadrubi

Morgan's draft stock took a hit with renfrow showing out in national championship. Can only have one we welker per year

26.2Hog

Assuming he would show up on time.

B501

Quote from: Poker_hog on January 11, 2017, 12:21:18 pm
He has more raw talent than anyone on that list.  He didn't reach his potential here.  Maybe the NFL can get that out of him.  He wouldn't be the first player to be a better pro than college player.

how many 6'3 175 wide receivers do you think play in the NFL?

longpig

Quote from: b501 on January 11, 2017, 12:25:04 pm

exactly

factchecker

Only one receiver that "thin" made it big but he was special.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

longpig

Quote from: factchecker on January 11, 2017, 12:32:50 pm

The Freak was an inch taller and about 25 lb heavier than Reed coming out of college, I believe.

bennyl08

Quote from: lstewart on January 11, 2017, 09:35:54 am
Combine type data comparing Reed and Morgan would be a very good example as to why you can't determine who is a good football player by some of these tests. Reed would probably run a 4.39 and Morgan would probably run a 4.69. There is no question who was the better player on the field.

If they were running in mud maybe. Reed's the type of guy who would run a 4.27 on our indoor track if we still let pro day people do that. At Indy, probably somewhere in the low 4.3's. Morgan is not basically a 4.7 runner. High 4.5's. His top end speed isn't going to be that high, but his 10 and 20 yard splits will be up there.

Also, I would amend your post a bit by saying you can't determine who is a good football player by these tests alone. Based on play on the field and how Reed progressed throughout the year last year, most people expected him to be one our top guys before he went awol starting in the offseason. Good example of why to amend that is Michael Sam and Shane Ray. There was no question Sam was the better player on the field as a collegiate player, but Ray was the far superior athlete. To play at the NFL, you have to have a certain amount of athleticism to do anything. Sam just wasn't quite there. In contrast, I think Morgan is right on par with a lot other slot receivers in the NFL. However, him being a better player in college doesn't guarantee the same will hold in the NFL.

bennyl08

Quote from: factchecker on January 11, 2017, 12:32:50 pm

Is thin in quotation marks because Moss was actually 40 pounds heavier than Reed? That's like saying having a 5'11 qb and saying it's okay, 6'3 qbs have been successful too.

bennyl08

Quote from: WooPig90 on January 11, 2017, 10:48:33 am
Leddy deserves an invite for sure

Wow, I whiffed on that. Indeed he does.

longpig

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 11, 2017, 12:57:58 pm
Wow, I whiffed on that. Indeed he does.

Yeh, he'll be quite the fetch for someone as a ufa. 

bennyl08

Quote from: longpig on January 11, 2017, 01:04:24 pm
Yeh, he'll be quite the fetch for someone as a ufa.

Two things, first, he still could get an invite. 2nd, if he or the others don't, on average a little over 40 of the drafted players didn't make the combine, about 1 in 6 draft picks. In comparison, about 1 in 3 combine invites don't get drafted. I mean, your odds are certainly higher as an invite, but no guarantee to be drafted.

1highhog

I can see Morgan making an NFL team.  He may not get drafted, but I can see him being a free agent.  He's to much of a threat and a player that isn't afraid to go over the middle, take a hit, and has the uncanny ability to get open, even with his speed, which in reality is not that slow.

lstewart

Reed can run fast, and that's pretty much it. He only got a lot of snaps here in 2015 due to all the injuries. He did have some good games in 2015, but he slipped back and showed little in 2016. It is possible someone could sign him as a free agent to give him a look, but it would be a shock if he was on a roster at the beginning of the regular season. Morgan has a chance if he gets on the right team, has a good camp, and stays healthy.  Probably won't make it, but there are guys similar to him having success for several teams.  Our players almost always are much slower at the combine 40 than what we've been told they can run. That's the process.... we sign a guys out of high school with everyone saying he runs 4.35. While here we see he was timed at 4.45. He goes to the combine as runs 4.55.

factchecker

Quote from: lstewart on January 11, 2017, 01:42:28 pm
Our players almost always are much slower at the combine 40 than what we've been told they can run. That's the process.... we sign a guys out of high school with everyone saying he runs 4.35. While here we see he was timed at 4.45. He goes to the combine as runs 4.55.

We aren't unique in that regard:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/3/1/4038740/2013-nfl-combine-high-school-40-yard-dash-times
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

1highhog

Reed can run fast, and that's pretty much it. He only got a lot of snaps here in 2015 due to all the injuries. He did have some good games in 2015, but he slipped back and showed little in 2016. It is possible someone could sign him as a free agent to give him a look, but it would be a shock if he was on a roster at the beginning of the regular season. Morgan has a chance if he gets on the right team, has a good camp, and stays healthy.  Probably won't make it, but there are guys similar to him having success for several teams.  Our players almost always are much slower at the combine 40 than what we've been told they can run. That's the process.... we sign a guys out of high school with everyone saying he runs 4.35. While here we see he was timed at 4.45. He goes to the combine as runs 4.55.

We know what Morgan can run already, so it doesn't matter what anyone ever said he could run.  He's fast enough for the SEC that's for sure, because he's been covered by some of the best in the league and he still gets open and catches pretty much what's thrown to him and has made some great ones in his career and taken some NFL type shots across the middle.  He'll get a good look and at least get on a team, may not make the final roster cut, but he'll get a chance the rest is up to him.

If anyone remembers, he was just a 2*, he made a pretty dang good one throughout his career here except for that last little incident at the Belk Bowl we never heard anything bad about him. 

3Scoreand10

As I got older, my times also became slower.
At 72 you woul need a calendar and I would need several rest stops. ;D

Big Boi

If Reed goes the combine he will weigh closer to 200 than 175. Also has anyone noticed you really can't hit WR and QB in NFL anymore.

bennyl08

Quote from: Big Boi on January 11, 2017, 05:00:46 pm
If Reed goes the combine he will weigh closer to 200 than 175. Also has anyone noticed you really can't hit WR and QB in NFL anymore.

If you watch the NFL, you know that not to be true.

What gives you the impression he will weigh closer to 200 than 175? He's had something like four or 5 official weighs in campus for spring and fall rosters and hasn't once come in over 180. Unless they have been lying to make him smaller (it is almost always lying to make the player bigger, unless they are way too large), he would have had to gain 25 pounds since late July. For a fat person that's doable, for pure muscle mass? That's pretty hard. With all the cardio done during the season, unless you are a redshirt and not playing, it's very hard to add weight during the season. Players typically will bulk some in winter and summer and lose weight during spring and fall.

It is common for players to try and bulk up before the draft if they are viewed as being too small and I imagine Reed will be no different. However, unless you are doing things the right way, you are just going to really cut down on your athleticism. If he comes in close to 200, I'd be shocked if he was anywhere near as athletic and that the extra weight wouldn't be a decent portion of just fat. If he added 10 pounds and was up to 185, he'd still be quite a bit underweight for his height, but would show progress towards a playable weight at the NFL and could probably be done without sacrificing athleticism.

longpig

Quote from: Big Boi on January 11, 2017, 05:00:46 pm
Weight gain has been a priority for Reed since he got on campus and he hasn't gained an ounce.  If Reed wants to keep playing, which I doubt he does, it's doubtful he could put on 10 lb before the draft.  185-190 would still be way too light.

bennyl08

Sounds like you are talking about Joe adams with that last bit. Indy is notorious for having slow turf. At the combine he ran (4.55/2.67/1/62). The 4.55 isn't terrible for a WR, but a 1.62 10-yard split is pretty bad. Compare that to what he ran at Arkansas (4.46, 2.58, 1.51). That is very good. Monk and Childs both had absolutely huge improvements, but they were much healthier at the pro-day than the combine, so turf isn't the only factor.

PossumFan

One thing you can't measure at the combine is toughness, and Morgan has an abundance of that. And he looks fast enough to my untrained eye, no matter what the stopwatch says. I really think he can play at the next level.

Big Boi

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 11, 2017, 07:20:22 pm
If you watch the NFL, you know that not to be true.

What gives you the impression he will weigh closer to 200 than 175? He's had something like four or 5 official weighs in campus for spring and fall rosters and hasn't once come in over 180. Unless they have been lying to make him smaller (it is almost always lying to make the player bigger, unless they are way too large), he would have had to gain 25 pounds since late July. For a fat person that's doable, for pure muscle mass? That's pretty hard. With all the cardio done during the season, unless you are a redshirt and not playing, it's very hard to add weight during the season. Players typically will bulk some in winter and summer and lose weight during spring and fall.

It is common for players to try and bulk up before the draft if they are viewed as being too small and I imagine Reed will be no different. However, unless you are doing things the right way, you are just going to really cut down on your athleticism. If he comes in close to 200, I'd be shocked if he was anywhere near as athletic and that the extra weight wouldn't be a decent portion of just fat. If he added 10 pounds and was up to 185, he'd still be quite a bit underweight for his height, but would show progress towards a playable weight at the NFL and could probably be done without sacrificing athleticism.
He will have a personal trainer, and have even more time to dedicate himself. If he doesn't, I will admit I'm wrong.

bennyl08

Quote from: Big Boi on January 12, 2017, 04:31:52 pm
He will have a personal trainer, and have even more time to dedicate himself. If he doesn't, I will admit I'm wrong.

It's not a matter of time, it's a matter of biology. Somebody who hasn't been weight training can put on about 2 pounds of lean muscle mass per month under ideal conditions. Harder to add weight the more you've already done it. Legend has it that Rippetoe had somebody gain 80 pounds in a year with 44 pounds of lean muscle gain. For an astounding average of 3.6 pounds of lean muscle gain per month, but also with 3 pounds of fat gained per month as well. This is somebody looking to bulk up for the sake of bulking up basically, not an athlete trying to minimize fat like Reed would.

The bigger question would be how much much his weight would have changed since the fall roster came out. I'll admit it is possible he was able to bulk up throughout the season. Just rare for that to happen for a senior. If so, he could be at 180-183 or so, with about 2 months after the season until the combine, could be at the 187 line or so, which if he was at 188, would put him closer to 200 than 175 which IIRC was your statement, not that you thought he would be approximately 200. That would be very good for him if true. Further, if he isn't tested until the pro-day, that gives him another month. He would have to have been bulking up since his last weigh in, but he could be at 190 with minimal fat by the pro day. I'd guess him working hard to bulk up for the NFL would put him somewhere in the low 180's though.