Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New DC sooner rather than later?

Started by redleg, January 10, 2017, 10:06:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: Wildhog on January 10, 2017, 07:23:14 pm
I'm all in on PR if it means we get Partridge back.
Ok, but what if it just means we get Rory gone - percentage of "in-ness" then?

grayhawg

Heard there was a guy on Bo's show from 247 saying Enos and Segrest could be leaving as well, anyone else heard this?

Wildhog

Quote from: grayhawg on January 10, 2017, 07:39:38 pm
Heard there was a guy on Bo's show from 247 saying Enos and Segrest could be leaving as well, anyone else heard this?

If Enos leaves I'll has a sad.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

factchecker

I didn't hear the show but Segrest wouldn't suprise me.  Enos seems to be happy here but there are some reports about Pitt looking at him.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Scott7703

I heard the same thing but wasn't able to listen to the show myself

Hawg Life

Quote from: HF#1 on January 10, 2017, 12:51:51 pm
Could have won 9 games this season had they played better. The secondary alone was responsible for 2-3 losses.

The DL was supposed to be our strength it was a weakness. Lack of pressure on the QB put the secondary on an island. I blame the DL & hope the DL finds another opportunity.

PorkRinds

Quote from: factchecker on January 10, 2017, 07:44:37 pm
I didn't hear the show but Segrest wouldn't suprise me.  Enos seems to be happy here but there are some reports about Pitt looking at him.

You don't go to Pitt from here unless you're unhappy here or are told to find a new job. Don't see him being told to find a new job.

hawgon

I've never seen a coach lose assistants like Bielema.  If Enos does go, that will be three DCs and thre OCs in five years.

TX HOG

Quote from: hawgon on January 10, 2017, 07:56:44 pm
I've never seen a coach lose assistants like Bielema.  If Enos does go, that will be three DCs and thre OCs in five years.

If it happens, yes this has to be alarming

factchecker

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 10, 2017, 07:54:58 pm
You don't go to Pitt from here unless you're unhappy here or are told to find a new job. Don't see him being told to find a new job.

I haven't heard that Enos wants to go to Pitt but rather that Pitt wants Enos.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hawgon

If Bo is talking about it, I would listen.  No one is closer to Bielema up there.

Pork Twain

I will start to doubt BB can get it done if Enos leaves.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Trystran

If Enos goes to a place like Pitt after having 2 pretty good offensive seasons here... that reeeeaaaallly starts smelling like CBB isn't losing assistants because of money. He might be a total pain to coach under... can't say I would be shocked by it in the slightest.

14erHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 10, 2017, 01:31:30 pm
Jen texted me last night.  she said Gruden is going to be our DC
I was wondering where she went  ;)
We were sitting on the bus one day and there were 5 of us hanging out. There was only one beer left in the cooler and we actually all took a little cup and split it. It was a pathetic day in a rock and roll when five grown men have to be sitting there sharing a beer.
Zakk Wylde

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.
Thomas Jefferson

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
Ronald Reagan

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Trystran on January 10, 2017, 08:27:56 pm
If Enos goes to a place like Pitt after having 2 pretty good offensive seasons here... that reeeeaaaallly starts smelling like CBB isn't losing assistants because of money. He might be a total pain to coach under... can't say I would be shocked by it in the slightest.

Well money did affect some. But certainly not all. It's pretty well known that Chaney and Chryst aren't on his Christmas card list

buldozer

Quote from: hogblitz on January 10, 2017, 10:41:46 am
I sure hope that it is not Rhoades that lands the job.  Nothing against Rhoades.  It just makes Bielema look like a complete idiot once again.  The reason being because he sacrificed the last half of the season by not firing Smith and inserting Rhoades when he was going to lead the defense anyway.  It should have happened after 543 yards rushing allowed against auburn. It shows he was not looking out for the best interest of the team and cares more about his buddies or image if this happens.
^^^This^^^ is spot on. If Rhoades was to end up DC, it should have happened after the horrendous Auburn loss to send a message to the team, coaches and fans. To name him DC now reinforces the message CBB was asleep at the helm.....

RedyorNot

Quote from: BR on January 10, 2017, 05:37:13 pm
Coaches convention started this week..
My bad, got it confused with the NCAA meeting.

ricepig

Quote from: buldozer on January 10, 2017, 09:41:14 pm
^^^This^^^ is spot on. If Rhoades was to end up DC, it should have happened after the horrendous Auburn loss to send a message to the team, coaches and fans. To name him DC now reinforces the message CBB was asleep at the helm.....

Tell me again, how many points did the offense score against Auburn, should they have fired the OC? I mean, he scored 51 less points than the year before.....

The_Boot_stops_here

How about Rhodes and Chinander as co-DC's and Linquest and Partridge coming as well assuming the 10 asst rule passes. Its floating around

King Kong

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on January 10, 2017, 09:49:25 pm
How about Rhodes and Chinander as co-DC's and Linquest and Partridge coming as well assuming the 10 asst rule passes. Its floating around

Sounds pretty dang good

Hawg Life

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on January 10, 2017, 09:49:25 pm

Hargreaves will be gone too.

lefty08

Quote from: Trystran on January 10, 2017, 04:20:19 pm
The question I have been tossing around is whether or not CBB feels enough pressure to get outside the box and make a flashy hire considering the seat is getting warmer? Does promoting Rhoads fit that bill? His room to gamble on some fairly unproven guys seems to be dwindling.

Flashy hires are for fans on message boards, not the fans that matter
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Hawg Life

Quote from: lefty08 on January 11, 2017, 03:30:05 am
Flashy hires are for fans on message boards, not the fans that matter

Flashy hires create excitement for ALL the fan base and improve recruiting.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hawg Life on January 11, 2017, 07:00:15 am

I think that what really improves recruiting is winning and winning big games. Baylor is a prime example even though Art Briles probably sold out the control of his program to gain higher ranked recruits. But prior to that time, it was his wins that drew bigger recruits to his program.

Example: Prior to Briles arrival Baylor (since 2002) hadn't signed any 5 stars. Under Briles they signed 5 stars in back to back classes in 2013 and 2014. Additionally from 2002-2007 Baylor signed a single 4 star player. Briles showed up and they signed 16 from 2008 through 2015. Most of that is due to winning more games but at least some of that probably has to be attributed to Briles relationship with Texas HS coaches.
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Really? Why do you think the Broyles award is named that? It's not because Frank kept all his assistants every year forever. He actually liked a little turnover. Maybe some of them were hired by others they knew before working here, maybe they got promotions, maybe they got raises, maybe they had a connection somehow to their new place. Turnover in assistants don't bother me as most of the players understand that it is a reality of sports. A lot of them didn't have the same position coaches much less their head coach throughout their junior high and high school playing days either. I'd bet most players by the time they get all the way through college only a very small percentage have the same coaches as when they first got to a specific school. Even moreso if they make it all the way to the pros and play for a few years or more.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: buldozer on January 10, 2017, 09:41:14 pm

^Belated dumb post of the day from yesterday.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Flashy hires are something to talk about among fans. It doesn't necessarily improve recruiting.

lefty08

I just said that.......
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

Calihog2012

When Robb Smith was hired 3 years ago was it considered a "flashy hire" ?

I seriously think we need a good name to keep the fan base happy this time around... but my gut feeling is Bret promotes Rhodes

Youngsta71701

January 11, 2017, 07:30:41 am #129 Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:01:28 am by Youngsta71701
Quote from: King Kong on January 10, 2017, 12:59:31 pm
No, run defense yes. Second half TO by the offense yes. Secondary no
The only loss I might could blame them for maybe the Missouri game. Other than that, no.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 10, 2017, 01:13:10 pm
Pitt- can you attribute that to Rhoads exclusively? No, he walked into a really good situation. 

Auburn- Really?  When you look into Auburn that year, it's far from a high level of success. 

People have been preaching Rhoads for a few months now because it's an easy path to something new, backup QB syndrome.  I'm not saying he won't improve this defense, but his time at Auburn is exactly what the same people asking for Rhoads say is the reason another guy won't work.  Couldn't stop physical run teams, got beat late in the year by ranked teams, etc.
If I'm not mistaken his defense was ranked pretty high that year at Auburn... ???

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: hogblitz on January 10, 2017, 10:41:46 am
I sure hope that it is not Rhoades that lands the job.  Nothing against Rhoades.  It just makes Bielema look like a complete idiot once again.  The reason being because he sacrificed the last half of the season by not firing Smith and inserting Rhoades when he was going to lead the defense anyway.  It should have happened after 543 yards rushing allowed against auburn. It shows he was not looking out for the best interest of the team and cares more about his buddies or image if this happens.

Yeah, because firing an assistant coach mid-season paints a beautiful picture of stability to players, fans, recruits, etc.

And, do you really think CBB hasn't looked out for the best interest of his team? Seriously?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 10, 2017, 01:35:42 pm
I believe many of you are missing some sarcasm here.
I caught that sarcasm right off the bat... ;D

Redhogs

Can't blame Barry again.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Pig in the Pokey

January 11, 2017, 07:41:16 am #134 Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 07:57:50 am by Pig in the Pokey
Quote from: The_Iceman on January 10, 2017, 01:26:19 pm
Makes no sense. Will say he stepped into a good situation, then blame him for Arkansas's bad defense after one year in the secondary. A secondary where the stats across the board show improvement.

Mind boggling.
it's like the ones who blame him for robb smith's safety play. IT WASNT HIS GROUP. That said, I want Diaco.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Redhogs

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 11, 2017, 07:11:04 am
I think that what really improves recruiting is winning and winning big games. Baylor is a prime example even though Art Briles probably sold out the control of his program to gain higher ranked recruits. But prior to that time, it was his wins that drew bigger recruits to his program.

Example: Prior to Briles arrival Baylor (since 2002) hadn't signed any 5 stars. Under Briles they signed 5 stars in back to back classes in 2013 and 2014. Additionally from 2002-2007 Baylor signed a single 4 star player. Briles showed up and they signed 16 from 2008 through 2015. Most of that is due to winning more games but at least some of that probably has to be attributed to Briles relationship with Texas HS coaches.
"I think that what really improves recruiting is winning and winning big games." Really isn't any more complicated than that. Losing to VT on National TV in that fashion was and more damaging than we will ever know.

Redhogs

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 10, 2017, 07:54:58 pm
Correct. Talk about a program that can't keep coaches, Pitt is the poster boy. If you go there, you are running from something.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: LZH on January 10, 2017, 04:45:24 pm
I guess I'd be OK with PR. But as long as fat boy is HC I'm not sure it's gonna matter a helluva lot.
pretty much.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on January 10, 2017, 09:46:01 pm

Tell me again, how many points did the offense score against Auburn, should they have fired the OC? I mean, he scored 51 less points than the year before.....
that's a poor post.
@Slackaveli

Hawg Life

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 11, 2017, 07:11:04 am

It didn't help Petrino. We aren't in The Big 12 and play 2 hard games a year. You have to have players. Briles did do a good job, but he did have the advantage of being a coach in the state his whole life.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hawg Life on January 11, 2017, 08:40:43 am
It didn't help Petrino. We aren't in The Big 12 and play 2 hard games a year. You have to have players. Briles did do a good job, but he did have the advantage of being a coach in the state his whole life.

The point was, when he landed at a major school and started winning, they started stealing some of the more highly ranked players from the usual big boys in Texas and A&M. And Briles real impact on gaining higher ranked recruits didn't happen overnight. His first 4 years he only landed 1 single 4 star player each year. After going 10-3 in 2011, he signed four 4 stars in Feb of 2012, something Baylor hadn't done at least since 2002. Now Baylor never loaded up on a ton of 4 or 5 star players and they didn't need to in order to execute their scheme in their conference. But it is a testimony to what can be done in recruiting once you begin to win at a higher level.

And Petrino wasn't here long enough (he took a dump in his mess kit quicker than Briles) and we play in a more difficult conference.
Go Hogs Go!

onebadrubi

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 11, 2017, 07:32:31 am
If I'm not mistaken his defense was ranked pretty high that year at Auburn... ???

His defense let Casey dick beat him.  He also allowed Bobby to run down his throat for 200 yards. It's been a few weeks since I dove into that season besides its final rankings but I believe they had many 200 yard rushing games allowed, only won maybe 1 sec game, beat up on sisters of the poor teams only, and got weaker as the year went on.

lefty08

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 11, 2017, 08:53:12 am
His defense let Casey dick beat him.  He also allowed Bobby to run down his throat for 200 yards. It's been a few weeks since I dove into that season besides its final rankings but I believe they had many 200 yard rushing games allowed, only won maybe 1 sec game, beat up on sisters of the poor teams only, and got weaker as the year went on.

That one year?  Omg he sucks!  Next!

tophawg19

Quote from: Redhogs on January 11, 2017, 07:41:36 am
"I think that what really improves recruiting is winning and winning big games." Really isn't any more complicated than that. Losing to VT on National TV in that fashion was and more damaging than we will ever know.
do you watch much football ? VT should have beaten Clemson in their conference title game but wore down right at the end . You know , That Clemson team that beat Bama . That was a very good VT team we played
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

LAGNAF

January 11, 2017, 09:17:05 am #144 Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 09:58:58 am by LAGNAF
Quote from: onebadrubi on January 11, 2017, 08:53:12 am

Auburn Defensive Stats 2008                      Arkansas 2016

27th Overall                                               76th Overall
10th in per play                                          122nd in per play
15th in scoring                                            85th in Scoring

This is out of 119 FBS Schools in 2008 and 128 in 2016

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I think every coordinator change so far has been forced by bielema. If Enos leaves, however, and it isn't for a better job/HC job, it will definitely look bad
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

BTW Rory Segrest is over the DL and the Special teams. Neither has been up to SEC standards the past 2 years. Should be an obvious change
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hoggusamoungus

Redhogs

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 11, 2017, 09:09:53 am
do you watch much football ? VT should have beaten Clemson in their conference title game but wore down right at the end . You know , That Clemson team that beat Bama . That was a very good VT team we played
Yea ok, blowing a 24-0 halftime lead is ok and now makes sense. The same powerhouse VT. team that lost to G.T, Syracuse, and Tn. along with Clemson, see how that works, Mr. excuse maker

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on January 10, 2017, 07:30:47 pm
Ok, but what if it just means we get Rory gone - percentage of "in-ness" then?
I'd still be in 110%. Segrest is currently the weakest link of the coaching staff. Chain is only as strong as the wekest link. Next link would be Hargreaves or Anderson