Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ironic, isn't it?

Started by lefty08, January 09, 2017, 05:29:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lefty08

Many of you guys were clamoring to get rid of Bielema and hire Fleck.  Fleck has been pumped up as a cant miss coach, an up and comer that we need to hire before he goes elsewhere. Many of those same people can't wait to see Rob smith go away.Smith has become a punch line here and with other hog fans as well.

What do those same people think now that it appears Fleck has hired smith as his DC. Is Fleck an idiot and you're glad we didn't make the move, or is Rob not nearly as bad of a coach now that he may be the pick for Fleck.

I find it amusing either way and I'm going to enjoy watching people tip toe through the mine field trying to justify the hire.
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Mike_e

Quote from: lefty08 on January 09, 2017, 05:29:27 pm
Many of you guys were clamoring to get rid of Bielema and hire Fleck.  Fleck has been pumped up as a cant miss coach, an up and comer that we need to hire before he goes elsewhere. Many of those same people can't wait to see Rob smith go away.Smith has become a punch line here and with other hog fans as well.

What do those same people think now that it appears Fleck has hired smith as his DC. Is Fleck an idiot and you're glad we didn't make the move, or is Rob not nearly as bad of a coach now that he may be the pick for Fleck.

I find it amusing either way and I'm going to enjoy watching people tip toe through the mine field trying to justify the hire.

It amazes me how many want somebody fired but would be dumbstruck if they themselves were fired.

Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

Hogs958

not really. Did you watch the defense the last 2 seasons?

lefty08

Quote from: Hogs958 on January 09, 2017, 05:54:53 pm
not really. Did you watch the defense the last 2 seasons?

Sure did, I also saw all the posts on the Wonderboy Fleck, and now it's ironically funny
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Did Fleck's DC from Western Michigan follow him to MN?  They were 26th in YPG at 353.  That's pretty good.  If he's going with Fleck I could see a Co- in someone's future.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Vantage 8 dude

Yeah, but who else has such a sexy "row the boat" phrase ??? :o ;)

Pig in the Pokey

Fleck has an amazing personality. Can he really coach? Maybe. I think he has to have a few more years under his belt. He has never been an OC or a DC. Crazy, huh? 36 years old.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

farmhawg

What will be amusing will be if his defense is great the next three years.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Hogwild

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 09, 2017, 06:05:54 pm
Yeah, but who else has such a sexy "row the boat" phrase ??? :o ;)

Whoever Western Michigan's next coach is. 

When Fleck took six of his recruits with him to Minnesota, Western Michigan reminded him they held the rights to "row the boat" not him.

Dr. Starcs

RTB means something totally different at Minnesota.

bville_hog

Fleck would not hire Robb Smith at Ark

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

AirWarren

No one in their right mind would listen to anything said on this website. This thing is for fun, kicks and giggles, and that's it.

tophawg19

CRS is actually a good fit in the big ten .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hobhog

Quote from: Mike_e on January 09, 2017, 05:48:19 pm
It amazes me how many want somebody fired but would be dumbstruck if they themselves were fired.

Easy for people to say it from message boards and call shows. Different when you are close to it I am sure.

lefty08

Quote from: farmhawg on January 09, 2017, 06:29:56 pm
What will be amusing will be if his defense is great the next three years.

Rob is a good coach, he isn't elite, but the man can flat out coach. His defenses will probably be good in the big 10. I wish him well

Styflin

Great topic

LZH

I think if BB is going to save his job, he needs to make a big splash with this hire. He gets away with it if we win 10 games next year and our defense is really good, but I just don't see it. I am not sure what to expect at this point.

jcbville

This will fly over many heads.

LRRandy

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 09, 2017, 07:03:09 pm
CRS is actually a good fit in the big ten .
huh, the last razorback dc that left for the B1G has as national championship ring and a head coaching job.
This is fun, isn't it.

TrueBlue

Quote from: Hogwild on January 09, 2017, 06:45:27 pm
Whoever Western Michigan's next coach is. 

When Fleck took six of his recruits with him to Minnesota, Western Michigan reminded him they held the rights to "row the boat" not him.

Yes 6 - 2* recruits

Fleck is on FIRE!

PonderinHog

Quote from: LRRandy on January 09, 2017, 07:53:06 pm
huh, the last razorback dc that left for the B1G has as national championship ring and a head coaching job.
The last razorback head coach that went to Minnesota has a national championship ring, but not at Minnesota.

TrueBlue

Ash was CO-DC at OSU - but he SUCKS at Rutgers.

lefty08

Quote from: TrueBlue on January 09, 2017, 08:09:09 pm
Ash was CO-DC at OSU - but he SUCKS at Rutgers.

Kind of funny how players make the coach isn't it?

factchecker

As CO-DC----

Let's check in on that amazing Ash defense at Rutgers.

09/03/16   @ 4 Washington   L 13-48
09/10/16   Howard           W 52-14
09/17/16   New Mexico   W 37-28
09/24/16   21 Iowa           L 7-14
10/01/16   @ 2 Ohio St.   L 0-58
10/08/16   6 Michigan           L 0-78
10/15/16   Illinois           L 7-24
10/22/16   @ Minnesota   L 32-34
11/05/16   Indiana           L 27-33
11/12/16   @ Michigan St.   L 0-49
11/19/16   5 Penn St.           L 0-39
11/26/16   @ Maryland   L 13-31
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

LRRandy

Quote from: factchecker on January 09, 2017, 08:25:00 pm
As CO-DC----

Let's check in on that amazing Ash defense at Rutgers.

09/03/16   @ 4 Washington   L 13-48
09/10/16   Howard           W 52-14
09/17/16   New Mexico   W 37-28
09/24/16   21 Iowa           L 7-14
10/01/16   @ 2 Ohio St.   L 0-58
10/08/16   6 Michigan           L 0-78
10/15/16   Illinois           L 7-24
10/22/16   @ Minnesota   L 32-34
11/05/16   Indiana           L 27-33
11/12/16   @ Michigan St.   L 0-49
11/19/16   5 Penn St.           L 0-39
11/26/16   @ Maryland   L 13-31
"co"'all you want. He has been given credit improving the tackling and pass defense when he arrived. He has national championship ring and an $11 mil contract. The on the field product at Rutgers does suck but cashing those checks I'll bet doesn't. Not bad for what some on here called a lateral move.
This is fun, isn't it.

longpig

It's Robb.  With two b's.
Don't be scared, be smart.

factchecker

Quote from: LRRandy on January 09, 2017, 08:33:19 pm
  "co"'all you want. He has been given credit improving the tackling and pass defense when he arrived. He has national championship ring and an $11 mil contract. The on the field product at Rutgers does suck but cashing those checks I'll bet doesn't. Not bad for what some on here called a lateral move.

I don't have to co anything.  Your boy Urban Cryer is the one who gave Ash the title.  Your the one anointing him the god of defense.  His defense at Rutgers SUCKS!
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

LRRandy

Quote from: factchecker on January 09, 2017, 08:38:04 pm
I don't have to co anything.  Your boy Urban Cryer is the one who gave Ash the title.  Your the one anointing him the god of defense.  His defense at Rutgers SUCKS!
you sho be right about that. His Rutgers D is beyond sad.  You gotta admit his career path went up.
This is fun, isn't it.

Hogeration

Hiring Smith is one thing.  Hiring Segrest away would be a whole different story.  I still think the only place we are under coached is on the d-line.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 09, 2017, 06:01:33 pm
Did Fleck's DC from Western Michigan follow him to MN?  They were 26th in YPG at 353.  That's pretty good.  If he's going with Fleck I could see a Co- in someone's future.
Maybe CBB told Fleck "I'm taking your DC but I'll give you mine in trade".  Now we just wait a few days.

TN HOG

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on January 09, 2017, 09:11:19 pm
Maybe CBB told Fleck "I'm taking your DC but I'll give you mine in trade".  Now we just wait a few days.

"This would keep football fun"
Play like a Champion!

lefty08

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on January 09, 2017, 10:32:08 pm
Ironic that many hog fans didn't want Dabo but now he has Saban on the ropes for a national title

Dabo is a fantastic coach and even better leader of men, I would take him in a heartbeat

PORKULATOR

Fluke Fleck and get the flock outta here with your fleckin Fluke about Robb Smith.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

devildoghawg

Takes a totally different style of defense to be successful at Minnesota than it does at Arkansas.  No justification, just facts.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

BigE_23

Old friends from Rutgers...worked together under Schiano. Might just be one friend doing another a favor.

Either way, 13-0 at Western Michigan > 7-6 at Arkansas

Fleck will make noise in the B10. Bert will eat Catfish Hole and laugh all the way to bank for another season.

TrueBlue

Until proven otherwise....

P.J. Fleck = Stan Heath

One great season and he gets a big gig.

Let's see what happens by year 5.

I do find it funny that certain people on here hated Nutt for being a "rah-rah" guy, but the same people love Fleck. Fleck is just Nutt on Speed.

BigE_23

Quote from: TrueBlue on January 10, 2017, 12:16:49 am
Until proven otherwise....

P.J. Fleck = Stan Heath

One great season and he gets a big gig.

Let's see what happens by year 5.

I do find it funny that certain people on here hated Nutt for being a "rah-rah" guy, but the same people love Fleck. Fleck is just Nutt on Speed.

People said the same about Dabo Sweeney...and James Franklin. They're doing alright.

I'd rather have a rah-rah guy than a thousand yard stare guy.

We saw what happened at WMU in year 4. Terrible comparison to Heath. Stan got the AR job after one good season with someone else's players, and because he was black. Fleck built WMU from the ground up with 2* players.

lefty08

Quote from: BigE_23 on January 10, 2017, 12:08:53 am
Old friends from Rutgers...worked together under Schiano. Might just be one friend doing another a favor.

Either way, 13-0 at Western Michigan > 7-6 at Arkansas

Fleck will make noise in the B10. Bret will eat Catfish Hole and laugh all the way to bank for another season.

1st time P5 coaches don't hire bad coordinators as  a favor

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogeration on January 09, 2017, 09:03:20 pm
Hiring Smith is one thing.  Hiring Segrest away would be a whole different story.  I still think the only place we are under coached is on the d-line.

If Smith does announce his departure and we get a new DC, we will have a better idea about this. Segrest came to Arkansas with a reputation for coaching "pressure" style defense. We delivered some pressure in 2014 and then "poof", the emphasis changed. I doubt that Segrest went to Robb Smith and told him that he thought it was best if he changed his coaching philosophy to "contain" instead of "pressure" for the next two seasons.

Depending on the philosophy of a new DC (if the one we have resigns) we will have a pretty good idea as to whether this was because of Smith or a lack of coaching ability on the part of Segrest.
Go Hogs Go!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Fleck is a fantastic recruiter but I've never even considered him for the DC position. I have always thought it would be either Rhoads, Partridge, or Diaco
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

DeltaBoy

Once Rob lost his Bermuda Triangle to the NFL his D at Ark tanked.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

311Hog

am i the only one that things Fleck will fail? I mean Minnesota has never been a football power, and that row the boat rah rah stuff works when you are a nobody firing up a bunch of lightly recruited 2 stars that stuck around and did the work for 4 years.

Family first etc. all that stuff kinda falls on def ears when you bounce for middle of the pack B10 team for the big pay day. 

code red

Quote from: lefty08 on January 09, 2017, 05:59:41 pm
Sure did, I also saw all the posts on the Wonderboy Fleck, and now it's ironically funny
Who the heck is he going to get....to come to Minnesota that is better than Rob???
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

factchecker

Quote from: code red on January 10, 2017, 12:12:46 pm
Who the heck is he going to get....to come to Minnesota that is better than Rob???

Was the DC at WMU that bad?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HotlantaHog

Quote from: mrp on January 09, 2017, 05:50:55 pm
Coaches are hired to be fired. Totally different because it's an occupational hazard.
I agree with this. We'd all be fine with getting fired on occasion if we were drawing salaries in the million dollar range. It is part of the job. And if you get paid that much, you need to be saving a lot more than average because there is always the risk your role in the profession could come to a quick end.

harrisburghog

Quote from: LZH on January 09, 2017, 07:38:58 pm
I think if BB is going to save his job, he needs to make a big splash with this hire. He gets away with it if we win 10 games next year and our defense is really good, but I just don't see it. I am not sure what to expect at this point.

Given the current situation why would a big splash hire come to AR.

code red

Quote from: factchecker on January 10, 2017, 12:16:15 pm
Was the DC at WMU that bad?
I couldn't even tell you where there campus is....much less who their DC is...nor do I care.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

311Hog

Quote from: code red on January 10, 2017, 12:19:13 pm
I couldn't even tell you where there campus is....much less who their DC is...nor do I care.

Kalamazoo Michigan i believe so i would probably be lookin to get out of there for the big payday if i was that DC.

ChitownHawg

I like CRS and he is a good DC. The thing is Minnesota doesn't play in the SECW. You need a top notch DC to win in the SECW. Smith isn't that.

Now he probably will do well in the Big10 and I will be happy for him. He did his best here and that is all you can ask. My wife loves Brad Pitt and nothing I can do about it. All I can do is my best, but at the end of the day I cannot meet the Brad Pitt standards.  8)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"