Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Danny Ford, Head Ball Coach elected to '17 College Football Hall of Fame class

Started by jbcarol, January 09, 2017, 09:09:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Inductees were selected from the national ballot of 75 All-America players and six elite coaches from the Football Bowl Subdivision

Coaches:

DANNY FORD – 122-59-5 (66.9%); Clemson (1978-89), Arkansas (1993-97)

LARRY KEHRES – 332-24-3 (92.9%); Mount Union (Ohio) (1986-2012)

STEVE SPURRIER – 228-89-2 (71.8%); Duke (1987-89), Florida (1990-2001), South Carolina (2005-15)

"We are extremely proud to announce the 2017 College Football Hall of Fame Class," said Archie Manning, NFF Chairman
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Piggfoot

Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 09, 2017, 10:10:37 am
And Frank fired a Hall of Fame coach  >:(

No, Frank hired a Hall of Fame Coach. Coaches get themselves fired.

Piggfoot

Quote from: Hawg Life on January 09, 2017, 10:19:53 am
No, Frank hired a Hall of Fame Coach. Coaches get themselves fired.
Frank fired or ran off every coach he hired. Looks like his initial evaluation skills were lacking or he wouldn't let them coach. Frank would have fired his mother. No other AD in the SEC was as much in the news as Frank. You didn't hear about other ADs.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

yraciv

Serious question is does he deserve this?  I wasn't around to see him in 80s, so all I remember is the disastrous time at Arkansas. Sure his time at Clemson looks good, but only 1 national championship.

Sed76

Quote from: yraciv on January 09, 2017, 12:12:28 pm
Serious question is does he deserve this?  I wasn't around to see him in 80s, so all I remember is the disastrous time at Arkansas. Sure his time at Clemson looks good, but only 1 national championship.

That's a good question. My memories from his time here are him kneeling on the sidelines picking grass like he would rather be anywhere else in the world. Nothing about his time here screamed Hall of Fame coach.

oldfart

Quote from: Sed76 on January 09, 2017, 12:52:03 pm
That's a good question. My memories from his time here are him kneeling on the sidelines picking grass like he would rather be anywhere else in the world. Nothing about his time here screamed Hall of Fame coach.

I dont think Danny's heart was in it during his time here.....

bvillepig

What most people don't say about the Ford tenure at Arkansas is the total rebuild job he had to do to get from the SWC to competitive in the SEC.  He got to the championship game in 95.  Look at the roster that Nutt inherited in 98 made up of Ford's recruits.  We will never know what he would have done with that roster or what Tuberville would have done if John White would have stayed out of it.

Heck Nolan might have got to retire here as a side bonus. LOL

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

26.2Hog

Quote from: bvillepig on January 09, 2017, 02:04:13 pm
What most people don't say about the Ford tenure at Arkansas is the total rebuild job he had to do to get from the SWC to competitive in the SEC.  He got to the championship game in 95.  Look at the roster that Nutt inherited in 98 made up of Ford's recruits.  We will never know what he would have done with that roster or what Tuberville would have done if John White would have stayed out of it.

Heck Nolan might have got to retire here as a side bonus. LOL

I sure wish Ford had gotten one more year, because he had the cupboard full.  He knew it, too.

supersaint

Quote from: 26.2Hog on January 09, 2017, 03:02:02 pm
I sure wish Ford had gotten one more year, because he had the cupboard full.  He knew it, too.

This is very true.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

I was not close to the Hogs during Ford's time here but I have a close friend who was.  He knew Ford well.  He says that Broyles kept messing with Ford wanting him to try things that Ford didn't want to do.  He agrees that Ford finally had a complete team set up for 1998 but was let go.  Never can be sure but he believes Ford would have won the SEC in 98 short of major injuries.

majp51

OK, so keep in mind, Danny Ford put Clemson on the map. And honestly he and his staff did all the heavy lifting necessary to get Arkansas competitive in the SEC

tolerati

"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

hogbud

I'll never forget him speaking at large Razorback Club meeting with mouth full of skoal and spit cup on podium referring to players by their number not name. A generation too late.

ballz2thewall

how he ended up as the head hire here is a mysterious anomaly. it never made any sense, despite the kines' connection/invitation. by that i mean, it was as though we were prohibited from seeking another candidate. i recall the situation pretty well.......it was weird.
The rest of the frog.

oldfart

Quote from: jbcarol on January 09, 2017, 09:09:29 am
Inductees were selected from the national ballot of 75 All-America players and six elite coaches from the Football Bowl Subdivision

Coaches:

DANNY FORD – 122-59-5 (66.9%); Clemson (1978-89), Arkansas (1993-97)

LARRY KEHRES – 332-24-3 (92.9%); Mount Union (Ohio) (1986-2012)

STEVE SPURRIER – 228-89-2 (71.8%); Duke (1987-89), Florida (1990-2001), South Carolina (2005-15)

"We are extremely proud to announce the 2017 College Football Hall of Fame Class," said Archie Manning, NFF Chairman

that mount union record is fantastic.. won numerous titles in their division

Locutus_of_Boar

Congratulations Coach Ford!

"Ford becomes the 19th former Razorback coach or player to be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame and the first since Jimmy Johnson was inducted in 2012. He is the fifth SIXTH Arkansas head coach to be selected for the Hall of Fame joining Hugo Bezdek (1954), Frank Broyles (1983), Bowden Wyatt (1997) and Lou Holtz (2008)."

Kevin forgot Francis "Bar the Gates of Mercy" Schmidt 1922-1928 who came from Tulsa to Arkansas before going on to TCU and a long run at Ohio State.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ford-earns-hall-of-fame-call/

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 09, 2017, 10:25:44 am
Frank fired or ran off every coach he hired. Looks like his initial evaluation skills were lacking or he wouldn't let them coach. Frank would have fired his mother. No other AD in the SEC was as much in the news as Frank. You didn't hear about other ADs.

Yes you did and you still do.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hogwild

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 09, 2017, 10:10:37 am
And Frank fired a Hall of Fame coach  >:(

Twenty years from now I wonder if they will be saying that about Long?  BP will have the numbers but his slimy reputation might cost him votes. 

factchecker

Quote from: Hogwild on January 09, 2017, 06:42:30 pm

Twenty years from now I wonder if they will be saying that about Long?  BP will have the numbers but his slimy reputation might cost him votes.

Ford has a national title.

Petrino can't win a conference championship..... or beat Kentucky with a Heisman winning quarterback.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Surfing8 on January 09, 2017, 12:00:42 pm
Barry Alvarez.
Still hands-on steering the UW football program, and apparently doing a pretty good job of it. 

Guess who couldn't deal with him wanting to steer things as an AD. 

Barry read and uses Franks Playbook on ADing.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Hogwild

Quote from: factchecker on January 09, 2017, 06:57:36 pm
Petrino can't win a conference championship..... or beat Kentucky with a Heisman winning quarterback.

While he didn't do it this year, he has previously done both.

factchecker

Quote from: Hogwild on January 10, 2017, 04:39:35 pm

While he didn't do it this year, he has previously done both.

When and where did he win his last conference title?  The Big Least..... 10 years ago.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Sivad

Quote from: majp51 on January 09, 2017, 03:58:46 pm
And honestly he and his staff did all the heavy lifting necessary to get Arkansas competitive in the SEC
Yes he did.
Wish he had been given another year.
Congratulations to Coach Danny Ford, well deserved.
And thank you for building the Razorback program up.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Sivad on January 10, 2017, 06:32:50 pm
Yes he did.
Wish he had been given another year.
Congratulations to Coach Danny Ford, well deserved.
And thank you for building the Razorback program up.

He was a great recruiter.