Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What does arkansas need to do to make a NY6 bowl in 2-3 years?

Started by Ben, January 08, 2017, 04:45:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog Fan...DOH!

I'm not so sure it was scheme on D as much it was communication and leadership.  There are better, less talented defenses out there (Vanderbilt!!!)

An experienced o-line next year should help, too.  Fewer penalties and better protection.  Also, no Myles Garrett or Jonathan Allen in the division.  Although, as the great Yoda says, I'm sure "there is another."     

HogimusMaximus

Hogwild

Quote from: hawganatic on January 09, 2017, 09:11:21 am
We weren't that far off from a NY6 Bowl this year.  Auburn went to the Sugar Bowl and only won 1 more game than we did this season.  For all the whining and gnashing of teeth, we were only a few tweeks away from being a really good team this year. 

What are you smoking?  A "few tweeks".

We finished tied for 5th in our division, with a 3-5 conference mark.  The two schools(Auburn/LSU) we would have had to beat to get the the sugar bowl, defeated us by a combined score of 94-13. That's more than just a few tweeks.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: davehog on January 09, 2017, 09:24:30 am
Next season is going to be our best chance over the next 3 seasons:

Offense:
1. O Line - 4.5 returning starters (I'm counting Colton Jackson as 0.5)
2. QB - 5th year SR who is really good 
3. RBs - TB is set with RWIII, Whaley and Hammonds and both the FBs are really good
4. TE - With Patton going through spring and Cantrell, Gunter and O'Grady in the rotation. Very solid group.
5. WR - Since the Juco guys are going through spring practice I'm confident that this unit won't have much of a dropoff in production.  Jordan Jones and Deon Stewart are really good

Defense:
1. Change scheme / DC - There should be an increase in production (it CAN'T get any worse)
2. Agim is a game changer on the D Line and there is quality depth
3. LBs should be better - Greenlaw comes back, Scoota gets a spring, Ramsey and Taylor should be a good unit and fit the 3/4 LB scheme
4. S - It is what it is except more depth
5. CB - How is an SEC team this thin at a position group?  Pulley is very good and Tolliver is avg. and better as the nickel back/slot position.  Depth is needed badly.  KRich and Tutt return from injury and hopefully a difference maker is signed (Calloway?) to play the other outside CB so that Tolliver can play inside.

All but Bama & MSU are breaking in new QBs in the SEC west.  We are away for Bama & LSU but other than those 2 games, the schedule is favorable.

It comes down to the same game every year as far as the next level - beating A&M. 

The offense is going to be VERY, VERY good.  If the defense can get to middle of the pack SEC then we can plan to spend NYE in New Orleans at the Sugar Bowl. 

10-2 (losses to Bama & LSU) will get us in to a NY6 bowl.
Don't forget about Pettway at receiver. And Montaric Brown has a chance to come in an take over that free safety spot. I think Toliver is better on the outside he's not quick enough to be a top notch nickel back. Richardson is the best nickel back we have.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

31to6

Quote from: Ben on January 08, 2017, 04:45:25 pm
Both Alabama and Mississippi schools have made an NY6 bowl since 2014. What changes does Arkansas need in order increase the chances of reaching a NY6 bowl in the future?
win 10 games, in the same season

al_pigcino

Quote from: Sed76 on January 08, 2017, 09:34:22 pm
Not going to be the most popular answer but I would say cut ties with the current coaching staff and get someone in here who brings some much needed enthusiasm. Could be an established coach or an up and comer but it doesn't  take great coaches 6, 8 or 10 years to get a program turned around. Just gotta find the right guy.
Let's take a great coach that built the team that just beat us.
7 years before his first 9 win season.
9 before double digits
If I'm correct they have only won one BCS game as well. 

elksnort

Without first reading any responses, I will type this:

Provided that they maintain a pretty good offense up on the hill, if they can run when they want and need to, then the next thing is to get a 2006, 1998 or even 2014 type defense.

If they accomplish this, then they will be in a New Years Day bowl game.

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me