Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How many wins (minimum) makes you happy next season?

Started by NuttinItUp, January 07, 2017, 04:45:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Minimum number of wins (regular season) next season to make you happy?

5-7
5 (1.6%)
6-6
2 (0.6%)
7-5
15 (4.7%)
8-4
110 (34.8%)
9-3
131 (41.5%)
10-2
44 (13.9%)
11-1
2 (0.6%)
12-0
7 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 314

NuttinItUp

Mainly for the Bielema-darksiders, but also for everyone else: What is the minimum number of wins next year makes you happy with the performance and hopeful moving forward?

NuttinItUp

bartonbear

9 regular season wins minimum plus a at least a Tier 2  bowl game

bennyl08

If Austin, Cornelius, Rawleigh, Ragnow, Agim, Greenlaw, and Pulley all get injured, then I'd be happy with fewer wins than if they stay happy. 5 wins with a healthy team and Bielema would need to go. 5 wins with such injuries and that would be fairly impressive.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

harrisburghog

The worst thing that could happen for the future of the program is for 8-9 wins next season. If that happens BB will get a raise and an extension.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: harrisburghog on January 07, 2017, 05:12:32 pm
The worst thing that could happen for the future of the program is for 8-9 wins next season. If that happens BB will get a raise and an extension.
Perhaps. For sure if he gets 10 or more he deserves it though.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 07, 2017, 05:06:21 pm
If Austin, Cornelius, Rawleigh, Ragnow, Agim, Greenlaw, and Pulley all get injured, then I'd be happy with fewer wins than if they stay happy. 5 wins with a healthy team and Bielema would need to go. 5 wins with such injuries and that would be fairly impressive.

Why would you think they all would get hurt?

I am thinking with Ragnow returning, along with pretty much everyone else on the OL and the QB being a year older, we might have a shot at doing something if the stars align.

Dan42AR

With me its not all about the wins and losses. What I don't want to see are the meltdowns like the last 2 games and the Auburn game. Stop those and the wins will take care of themselves.

King Kong

9 wins regular season or postseason would re established my faith in the direction of this program.

King Kong

Quote from: Dan42AR on January 07, 2017, 05:17:38 pm
With me its not all about the wins and losses. What I don't want to see are the meltdowns like the last 2 games and the Auburn game. Stop those and the wins will take care of themselves.

We didn't really have that issue in 2015 and it still felt like a disappointment

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Dan42AR on January 07, 2017, 05:17:38 pm

You realize that you said its not about the wins and losses, and then the three examples you give are losses, right?

Not that I blame you; Everyone is about the wins and losses when it comes down to it.

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

bennyl08

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 07, 2017, 05:17:22 pm
Why would you think they all would get hurt?

I am thinking with Ragnow returning, along with pretty much everyone else on the OL and the QB being a year older, we might have a shot at doing something if the stars align.

Why would you think that I think they would all get hurt?

My argument was that they could all get hurt. Football is a dangerous sport.

When you make a statement asking for a minimum that would make me happy, that becomes an absolute statement and loses any aspect of nuance. For example, the odds of all those injuries happening is very small and unlikely. However, I am being asked for an answer that would span literally every possibility. From having to play Hyatt due to attrition at qb to Austin playing at a heisman level.

Heck, even under the scenario I mentioned, 5 wins might be infuriating depending on how things shake out. For example, Austin goes down, but Cole plays well. RW3 goes down, but we still have Whaley. Cornelius goes down, but Jordan Jones was catching even bama's eye as a sophomore in HS and should be very good. Ragnow goes down, but we have Zach Rogers. It isn't crazy to say that our offense should still operate well with all those injuries. How about defense? Agim goes down, I think TJ Smith and D. Dean can be almost as good as he is. Greenlaw goes down, Eugene was playing very well last year and with the improvement of Harris, we should be fine there. Pulley would hurt, but Toliver has proven himself time and time again, and Tutt could be good in his own right as well as having KR3.

If the backups play as well as we hope, anything less than 7, even with all those injuries, could still be underperforming. As Dan points out, it isn't just about wins and losses. I expect to beat MSU right now, but if they have Cam Newton next year, that expectation becomes unreasonable. What I want to see is improvement in players and no regression from players already here. I want to see mental toughness from the team and players playing to their potential. Ideally above their potential, but I don't want to see the team playing below what it is capable of consistently doing.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Tick Hog

Wins

Florida A@M
New Mexico State
Coastal Car
Mississippi St

Losses

@ Bama
@ LSU
Auburn

Toss ups

TCU
@ SC
@ OM
A@M
Missouri

7-5   

In this case I'm not happy

Hawghiggs

I picked 6-6. I don't mind losing games. What I mind is blowouts and collapses. Those are things that are preventable.  Being competitive in every game should be expected.

NuttinItUp

PossumFan

So are you going to be rooting against the Hogs?

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Tick Hog

hogsanity

I love all the 9+ win people. Its going to take more wins that then have had in all but about 4 of the last 20 years for people to be happy. But no our fans aren't irrational at all.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 07, 2017, 05:51:57 pm
I love all the 9+ win people. Its going to take more wins that then have had in all but about 4 of the last 20 years for people to be happy. But no our fans aren't irrational at all.

Would you be satisfied if he never won more than 8 games in a season?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogsanity

Quote from: Wildhog on January 07, 2017, 05:55:05 pm
Would you be satisfied if he never won more than 8 games in a season?

The question is for next season. When they go to Bama lsu sc old misses and what is a really an away game for a&m. Next year ill be happy with 7 or 8 regular season wins.

If that's all they ever do, no.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawgphish

Quote from: Hawghiggs on January 07, 2017, 05:42:12 pm
I picked 6-6. I don't mind losing games. What I mind is blowouts and collapses. Those are things that are preventable.  Being competitive in every game should be expected.
this is my feelings exactly.  I cannot watch the Hogs get destroyed when it appears that they give up. 

TechHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 07, 2017, 05:58:29 pm
The question is for next season. When they go to Bama lsu sc old misses and what is a really an away game for a&m. Next year ill be happy with 7 or 8 regular season wins.

So, at what point do you start expecting 8+ wins? After 8 years? 10? I don't think it is irrational in the slightest to expect 8 or more wins in year 5 of a coach's tenure. I think that is not accepting mediocrity.

Hogarusa

Surely asking for 1 9 win season every 5 seasons isnt too irrational.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

TrueBlue

Jeffie said in an interview that 7 this year was the base line and the future was going to be more, so I suppose it has to be 8 or more in his eyes.

If we lose to TCU, we better buckle our seatbelts for a bumpy ride.

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 07, 2017, 05:58:29 pm

So how long will 7 or 8 wins satisfy you?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Buff

Our #Uncommon #Integrity has gotten us to a point where 8 wins would be an improvement in year 5.  Hence my pick for 8 wins.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on January 07, 2017, 06:22:51 pm
8, because there is no way in hades they win that many

You never know...

Ragnow coming back when he could have gone NFL...basically everyone on the OL and QB coming back...As long as we limit injuries and catch a few breaks you never know how well we might do...

PonderinHog

This has been our second longest stretch without a nine win season in modern program history.

1990-1997 was the longest drought.

Porcine Coprolite

TrueBlue

Quote from: Porcine Coprolite on January 07, 2017, 06:28:28 pm
11-2

Number 5 in final AP poll.

I see the medicinal marijuana is finally hitting the streets...

NuttinItUp

3Scoreand10

It is not how many. We do not have the players to win 9-12 games on the hill.
It is all about winning the games we should and forcing the other team to win.
And when the better team slips up, we take advantage an win one we should not.
I tired of these second half melt downs

hogsanity

Quote from: TechHawg on January 07, 2017, 06:07:54 pm
So, at what point do you start expecting 8+ wins? After 8 years? 10? I don't think it is irrational in the slightest to expect 8 or more wins in year 5 of a coach's tenure. I think that is not accepting mediocrity.

8 or more is a very reasonable expectation for 2018. Favorable home schedule, should have a much better deeper d by then.

Danimal

I'm ok with 8 or 9 wins -- as long as the losses were full-on dog fights.. I mainly want to see a team that doesn't quit halfway through a game whether they're winning or losing.

Arthur pigby sellers.

8 wins plus a bowl win should make us a top 25 team many years. I'd be happy with this most years at least until Saban retires.

AFWarrior83

We need to see continued improvement. 9-3 reg season.
Hogville member since 2005.

longpig

If we don't win 9, I want to lose 9. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

jgphillips3

8-4 minimum to be happy and the 4 losses must be much, MUCH, more respectable.

Razorback_Mack

There's more important things to interscholastic athletics than wins and losses.

bartonbear

Aside from 2 second half meltdowns we should have won 9 games this season. So how do we not have the players to win 9?

Quote from: 3Scoreand10 on January 07, 2017, 06:40:39 pm
It is not how many. We do not have the players to win 9-12 games on the hill.
It is all about winning the games we should and forcing the other team to win.
And when the better team slips up, we take advantage an win one we should not.
I tired of these second half melt downs

Bubba's Bruisers

8-4 followed by a bowl win to 9-4 would be a great season
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

GuvHog

I wouldn't go so far as to say 9 regular season wins plus a bowl win would make me happy but I wouldn't complain about it, that's for sure.

Now a 10 (or more) win regular season and a bowl win plus a top 15 final ranking?? I'd take that anytime and be thrilled.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Ben

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 07, 2017, 04:48:01 pm
12-0

#NeverYield#NoExcuses
Lol you must stay miserable then. We only have 1 undefeated season and that was in 1964
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Hogsanity, Bret wasn't hired and given the best, by far, compensation package to keep the status quo.  9-3 is not unreasonable to expect and I personally expect our team to compete even in the losses.  If we should go 9-3, we absolutely won't, but if we did, then we would get a decent Bowl competitor and I could see us losing to them but I would still won't us to compete, not fold up.

I am fed up with being called irrational when our team has the 17th best paid coach in the NCAA and he took the damn job knowing about the location, facilities, and the caliber of players he was getting.  If he was too damn dumb to realize the situation he was walking into, hes still a big boy and don't need crying towels and whining humans running interference for him.  Bret Bielema has under achieved here from day one.  John L. could have stayed on at a fourth of BBs price and won those 3 in 2013, likely 4 or 5 and hes an idiot.  In fact, I would offer that the wins being put up by BB since coming here are around John L numbers if he had stayed. 

It is time the Adminstration visit with BB and get him to give the University the time and effort they expected when they hired him.  That alone will increase wins by about 2 per year. 

Ben

lets understand the numbers first: We historically average 7-8 wins a season. So if we get just 8-9, its tolerable
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

hog.goblin

I said 9 but was including the bowl game.  I'll be happy with 9.  It's not that I'll be mad about 8, maybe not even disappointed, just not happy.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: 12247 on January 07, 2017, 07:47:26 pm
Hogsanity, Bret wasn't hired and given the best, by far, compensation package to keep the status quo.  9-3 is not unreasonable to expect and I personally expect our team to compete even in the losses.  If we should go 9-3, we absolutely won't, but if we did, then we would get a decent Bowl competitor and I could see us losing to them but I would still won't us to compete, not fold up.

I am fed up with being called irrational when our team has the 17th best paid coach in the NCAA and he took the damn job knowing about the location, facilities, and the caliber of players he was getting.  If he was too damn dumb to realize the situation he was walking into, hes still a big boy and don't need crying towels and whining humans running interference for him.  Bret Bielema has under achieved here from day one.  John L. could have stayed on at a fourth of BBs price and won those 3 in 2013, likely 4 or 5 and hes an idiot.  In fact, I would offer that the wins being put up by BB since coming here are around John L numbers if he had stayed. 

It is time the Adminstration visit with BB and get him to give the University the time and effort they expected when they hired him.  That alone will increase wins by about 2 per year.

You are undoubtedly one of the most uneducated, redneck, clods on this board. And that is saying a lot.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.