Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lipstick on a pig moment

Started by Hog Solo, January 06, 2017, 10:18:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

I worry that BBs lack of paying attention is more likely than him paying attention to his assistants.  From experience I know how difficult it is to work for a person who is disconnected from the team.  He claims he lets you decide and often does, but when the ship starts to sink, he'll blame you in a minute to his bosses.  This type boss often wants to run in and take charge when things get serious when he actually knows nothing about the abilities of the team.  This can lead to trying fake punts or going for it on 4th down at the wrong time or the team not following this sudden newcomer into the chemistry of the team.

It is my opinion that BB is too aloof for the average assistant to really enjoy and flourish in.  Doubt it was mostly Robb Smith's fault that the defense was a huge failure the past 2 years.

AscensionHog

I say we fire Vanhorn and the softball coach !!!

hamsam

Quote from: GuvHog on January 07, 2017, 03:47:39 pm
It was strictly an opinion, no need to get your panties in a wad.

Opinion? Wasn't stated that way. But you make a habit of talking about subjects that you know nothing about.
Like my panties for instance. Can't be wadded since I don't wear them. I prefer to go commando!

You and FCJ need to start your own commune...
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

HardCore

Quote from: BigDrDon on January 07, 2017, 04:38:50 pm
Lester P. Miles is still available. If nothing else he can recruit well.
AD, Director of Football Operations......but not coach.  You could give Les, Joe Montana for a QB, and Les couldn't coach him to greatness to save his life.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

plumbhog

Quote from: HardCore on January 08, 2017, 07:20:01 am
AD, Director of Football Operations......but not coach.  You could give Les, Joe Montana for a QB, and Les couldn't coach him to greatness to save his life.
He might make a pretty good defensive coordinator though.
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

jkstock04

Quote from: hamsam on January 07, 2017, 10:24:36 pm
Opinion? Wasn't stated that way. But you make a habit of talking about subjects that you know nothing about.
Like my panties for instance. Can't be wadded since I don't wear them. I prefer to go commando!

You and FCJ need to start your own commune...
I'll join them. The idea that a new D coordinator is the absolute answer to everyone's prayers on defense is laughable.

According to Hogville back in 2014 Smith was one of the best defensive minds in all of football. Now look what we have. What I see is a fan base falling over backwards to blame everything and everyone other than the flip flop wearing head coach.

One thing is for certain...the new D coordinator will step into a very nice position. Not going to take much for "improvement" and all will be "well" again.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 08, 2017, 08:48:30 am
I'll join them. The idea that a new D coordinator is the absolute answer to everyone's prayers on defense is laughable.

According to Hogville back in 2014 Smith was one of the best defensive minds in all of football. Now look what we have. What I see is a fan base falling over backwards to blame everything and everyone other than the flip flop wearing head coach.

One thing is for certain...the new D coordinator will step into a very nice position. Not going to take much for "improvement" and all will be "well" again.

That's true, the bar for success should be fairly easy to attain if and when we find a new DC. But the bar for success didn't need to be too high for Robb Smith's defenses to succeed this year either. Think about it, if this defense had just allowed 1 yard less per play on average per game, we would have allowed an average of 363 yards per game. That would have produced a top 30 defense.

Even with our sluggishness on offense at times in the second half, I suspect we would have won at least 2 more games in the regular season. 1 frikin yard per play...63 yards less per game. Without even getting into questions about scheme, alignment, defending short fields due to T/O's and talent, better tackling alone might have produced those results.
Go Hogs Go!

RebelliousHog

I am very torn by all this. It is obvious the defensive line and linebackers struggled, especially after Dre went down. There were times the dbacks showed some skills. They didn't tackle well but they did improve on coverage imo. 

The mystery for me is how RS went from a decent DC two years ago to the goat this year. I think there are factors we just don't know. Lack of speed? Recruiting. Poor schemes? DC. Poor play? Goes back to recruiting, BUT, also coaching.

Look guys, we've never had the athletes that Bama has. Never will. But we all know that we have had defenses that played great, with a couple of great players, and a grear scheme and great coaching.

Is ALL this on RS? No. I do think he has lost the support and confidence of the team. If that is the case it is time to move on. Which he is doing.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

3kgthog

Quote from: hamsam on January 07, 2017, 02:57:36 pm
"I suspect that Bret's interference was part of Robb Smith's problem."

I just don't understand where you could get this from. Were you in the coaches meetings?! You just pull crap out of the sky just like Joe.

Matt Canada hinted that Bielema tried to meddle too much in the 2012 Wisconsin offense. The article is easy to find. It's pretty believable (based on Canada's comments and Bret's high coach turnover) that BB has too much influence on both sides of the ball and coaches eventually tire of it.

Many here have said this Robb Smith coaches nothing like he used to. Other than head coach influence, what would make a DC change his approach so drastically compared to what he used at Rutgers? It ain't talent. You know we've got at least equal talent compared to Rutgers.

RebelliousHog

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 08, 2017, 11:09:02 am
Matt Canada hinted that Bielema tried to meddle too much in the 2012 Wisconsin offense. The article is easy to find. It's pretty believable (based on Canada's comments and Bret's high coach turnover) that BB has too much influence on both sides of the ball and coaches eventually tire of it.

Many here have said this Robb Smith coaches nothing like he used to. Other than head coach influence, what would make a DC change his approach so drastically compared to what he used at Rutgers? It ain't talent. You know we've got at least equal talent compared to Rutgers.

This sounds logical. What baffles me is IF BB is a meddler you would think by now he would have seen how well that worked out in the Bowl games while at Wisky. 2-4 ain't anything to brag about considering their records. The only season they had a poor record was 08 when they were 7-6.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

a0ashle

Quote from: HenduHog on January 08, 2017, 11:19:53 am
This sounds logical. What baffles me is IF BB is a meddler you would think by now he would have seen how well that worked out in the Bowl games while at Wisky. 2-4 ain't anything to brag about considering their records. The only season they had a poor record was 08 when they were 7-6.

It doesn't make any sense at all, if CBB meddled with RS why would he do it in his second and third year and not the first year of a new DC. It's more likely he gave him more leeway in 2015 and 2016 then 2014. Its even more likely that the talent in 2014 was just that much better. I know you NEED to pin this on CBB, but you don't need to make something up, he's responsible for both sides of the ball and he will make the changes he thinks needs to happen.

Jek Tono Porkins

I think a change is warranted. I think Smith has a good fundamental understanding of the game. In 2014 our defense was damn good. I think at that point we had the players needed to fit Smith's scheme. We had Flowers and Philon creating pressure constantly. We had spaight leading the rest of the defense and playing like a madman.
The past couple of years we had a frankly bad d-line and while our best linebacker is by all accounts a great guy, he just physically cannot do what needs to be done. I think Smith has failed to adjust for our deficiencies insofar as adjustments could actually be made. Good DC's have to be able to adjust and I don't think Smith has shown the ability to do that. I don't know the game that well so if anyone has examples of defensive halftime adjustments that worked this season I'd like to see them because what I observed pretty much every game outside of a couple on the defensive side of the ball was a total second half volcanic meltdown of Wagnerian proportions.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 08, 2017, 11:09:02 am

Quote from: HenduHog on January 08, 2017, 11:19:53 am

Here's the article (I think) that you are referring to. Everyone can read and judge for themselves. Coaches are obviously going to be reluctant to discuss what passes between them in meetings, but it doesn't sound as if it was a meeting that involved ultimatums.

With Paul Chryst leaving to take the head coaching job at Pitt after the 2011 season, Bielema, a defensive coach by trade, got more involved with the offense in 2012, at times overruling Canada's plays and dismissing some of his ideas for sets, sources close to the program told the newspaper.

The butting of heads came to a head prior to the Big Ten title game, where Canada stood up to the coach and wanted control of the offense. He got that chance, and the result was a 640-yard outing by his unit, including 539 on the ground, in the 70-31 pasting of Nebraska. The Badgers ran plays and formations they had not used all season.

Canada acknowledged the meeting happened but downplayed the significance, saying, "There wasn't any clearing of the air."

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/4422907-matt-canada-bret-bielema-power-struggle-wisconsin-badgers-rose-bowl-nebraska
Go Hogs Go!

forrest city joe

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 07, 2017, 02:51:45 pm
And you know this...how?

Your standard of "knowledge" is ridiculously low.
Did you see this defense? i have never seen a defense at Arkansas this bad in my life. and i have been watching Razorback football for over 50 years.i don't need any knowledge to know this. my eyes are not lying to me.everyone on defense should be fired. Band-Aids won't cut it.

LZH

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 07, 2017, 02:51:45 pm
And you know this...how?

Your standard of "knowledge" is ridiculously low.

Because he's FMFCJ. And with the possibility of keeping Paul Rhodes, I agree with him completely.

SRV

We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

majp51

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 06, 2017, 10:18:20 pm
Lot of the usuals eating this up and happy about the removal of Robb Smith thinking this will be the salve to heal all our wounds.  There's been a trend under Bielema where the oc and dc have regressed after their first year.  I'm still and probably for the end of time will be waiting for the team to be good  on both sides of the ball.

Ehh, I think you should at least hold out hope for a little bit. Each time we replace a coordinator there is a chance we could get the right one, and  he not only does an excellent job or coaching up the talent we have, but also improves the talent we get.

Yes, the odds are not great given CBB in the SEC so far, but all it takes is to get lucky one time. After all our problem is not our Offense, but our Defense.

NotSoFastMyFriend

1) According to a friend of mine who was on the staff with Randy Shannon - Coach Shannon was let go at Arkansas because he got lazy and stopped recruiting and didn't keep very good office hours. He stands to do A LOT better in Florida since he won't be able to turn around without bumping into 5* talent.

2) Paul Rhoads improved the secondary, especially #11. Totally different player this year. Also, how would the secondary have looked if Dean stays healthy all year and Tutt and K. Rich never got hurt? Important to remember how thin the Hogs are at safety and that the two kids that signed last year were redshirted. But yeah, let's call for his head. Ridiculous (as usual).

forrest city joe

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on January 08, 2017, 01:32:05 pm
1) According to a friend of mine who was on the staff with Randy Shannon - Coach Shannon was let go at Arkansas because he got lazy and stopped recruiting and didn't keep very good office hours. He stands to do A LOT better in Florida since he won't be able to turn around without bumping into 5* talent.

2) Paul Rhoads improved the secondary, especially #11. Totally different player this year. Also, how would the secondary have looked if Dean stays healthy all year and Tutt and K. Rich never got hurt? Important to remember how thin the Hogs are at safety and that the two kids that signed last year were redshirted. But yeah, let's call for his head. Ridiculous (as usual).
o
No Paul Rhoads did not improved the secondary. other than Pulley no one improved. Collins was about the same.and Dean and Henre Toliver were worse. and the S play was pitiful yet again.Rhodes needs to be shown the door too.

Sed76

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 08, 2017, 03:01:15 pm
No Paul Rhoads did not improved the secondary. other than Pulley no one improved. Collins was about the same.and Dean and Henre Toliver were worse. and the S play was pitiful yet again.Rhodes needs to be shown the door too.

Some observations about Rhoads improved secondary. Still playing 10 yards off receivers allowing easy catches. Middle of the field still wide open. Receivers running downfield wide open. So pretty much the same old same old. the run defense was just so terrible teams didn't pass as much but when they did for the most part they did what they wanted.

GuvHog

Quote from: Sed76 on January 08, 2017, 03:06:35 pm
Some observations about Rhoads improved secondary. Still playing 10 yards off receivers allowing easy catches. Middle of the field still wide open. Receivers running downfield wide open. So pretty much the same old same old. the run defense was just so terrible teams didn't pass as much but when they did for the most part they did what they wanted.

That's a really common occurrence when the opposing QB has all day to pass the ball. That had a great deal to do with it.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

forrest city joe

Quote from: Sed76 on January 08, 2017, 03:06:35 pm
+1000.spot on.

forrest city joe

Quote from: GuvHog on January 08, 2017, 03:50:46 pm
That's a really common occurrence when the opposing QB has all day to pass the ball. That had a great deal to do with it.
Then why is the DL coach still here? get him out of here with the others.the problem with this pitiful defense can't be solved with Band-Aid. it needs a major overhaul.

colbs

Quote from: plumbhog on January 08, 2017, 08:29:45 am
He might make a pretty good defensive coordinator though.
He's never been a defensive coach.  SMH

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: GuvHog on January 08, 2017, 03:50:46 pm
Spot on. Corners and safeties can only cover for so long.

code red

Quote from: Sed76 on January 06, 2017, 10:31:29 pm
I fear he will just promote Paul Rhodes and I don't care what certain stats say the secondary was still atrocious.
I am glad someone else has seen this as well.  Paul Rhodes is not the answer IMHO.  I am more concerned about the big plays given up on 3rd and forever all season. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

forrest city joe

Quote from: code red on January 09, 2017, 07:52:12 am
I am glad someone else has seen this as well.  Paul Rhodes is not the answer IMHO.  I am more concerned about the big plays given up on 3rd and forever all season. 
+1000. your post is right on the money.

Lanny

Arkansas has been the worst 3rd and long defensive team the past 20 years!
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

LZH

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 09, 2017, 08:17:00 am
+1000. your post is right on the money.

I can only assume that he and the other coaches are just coaching the defense the way they are told to. I think Rhoads is a good coach, a good teacher, but BB is a former defensive coordinator and it seems like no matter who is on our defensive staff, very little changes regarding the way we play.

BB is obviously the common denominator here. Better and faster players would certainly help, too. And I realize we can't really afford to have a coaching carousel here or do something stupid like LSU did and fire a coach only to hire a worse one. That would just be our luck.

Having said that, next year is the defining season that will determine if the BB experiment is ever going to work or not. Another season like this one and it is time to start making phone calls....and I don't mean calls made by Jeff Long. He needs to stay out of the way on the next football coaching search.

acey33

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 06, 2017, 10:25:02 pm
Not me. just getting rid of Robb Smith and know one else is just a Band-Aid.this entire defensive staff should be out of here.Band-Aid moves won't cut it in my opinion.this defense was the worst i have see ever at Arkansas.

FCJ I somewhat agree with you and IMO something should've happened sooner like after the Auburn game like when they rushed for 1,000 yards or something like that... :puke: :puke: :puke:

PonderinHog

Quote from: LZH on January 09, 2017, 08:33:12 am
I can only assume that he and the other coaches are just coaching the defense the way they are told to. I think Rhoads is a good coach, a good teacher, but BB is a former defensive coordinator and it seems like no matter who is on our defensive staff, very little changes regarding the way we play.

BB is obviously the common denominator here. Better and faster players would certainly help, too. And I realize we can't really afford to have a coaching carousel here or do something stupid like LSU did and fire a coach only to hire a worse one. That would just be our luck.

Having said that, next year is the defining season that will determine if the BB experiment is ever going to work or not. Another season like this one and it is time to start making phone calls....and I don't mean calls made by Jeff Long. He needs to stay out of the way on the next football coaching search.
Seriously, this is Bret's mess to work through.  If you're going to blow it up, you might as well start at the top and let the new guy bring in his own staff.  Probably another reason why not much will happen in the next couple of years.  Or maybe things start to click.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: island hog on January 06, 2017, 10:37:02 pm
When there's no pass rush, the DBs suffer... When the Dline is weak or out of position, it's easy for the online to get to the LBs... You can't knock the entire staff or position groups without knowing where the breakdown was.  In my opinion, it all begins with a weak rush from the d ends and rolls down hill from there
Been saying it for months. Our line coaches, specifically the DL coach, are our weakest links. The fact that they aren't under fire like robb smith has been is absolutely amazing to me
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 09, 2017, 09:07:05 am
Been saying it for months. Our line coaches, specifically the DL coach, are our weakest links. The fact that they aren't under fire like robb smith has been is absolutely amazing to me
The D-Line coach has been under fire from me. i want every coach on this defense fired,not just Robb Smith.

elviscat

Abolish Razorbacks sports, clean to the  house and put the money into improving the educational programs and opportunities for all the students and resident of the state. Find a new hobby that doesn't wear you out every year and make you get upset and hard to live with. It's time for a change. It's terrible in a state the size of Arkansas that the highest paid individuals in higher education are coaches. Think about that!! It's all about entertainment and you can get that in other places. Arkansas athletics are like riding a merry go round always trying to get the brass ring and always failing.

GuvHog

Needless to say, I disagree with you. Check Paul Rhodes' history as a DC and re-evaluate. I'd like to see Paul Rhodes moved to DC then go all out to to get Partridge to come back as DL coach.

forrest city joe

Quote from: GuvHog on January 09, 2017, 09:43:57 am
Needless to say, I disagree with you. Check Paul Rhodes' history as a DC and re-evaluate. I'd like to see Paul Rhodes moved to DC then go all out to to get Partridge to come back as DL coach.
No to Paul Rhodes as DC. clean house. know more Band-Aids.

plumbhog

Quote from: colbs on January 08, 2017, 11:20:51 pm
He's never been a defensive coach.  SMH
And that's why I said "might". We know he can recruit. And he has been a head coach, a pretty good one at that. Odds are he knows a little bit about defense.
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

GuvHog

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 09, 2017, 09:50:25 am
No to Paul Rhodes as DC. clean house. know more Band-Aids.

Paul Rhodes is one of the best DC's in college football. IMO he should have been DC last year instead of Robb Smith.

PonderinHog

Quote from: GuvHog on January 09, 2017, 10:01:38 am
Paul Rhodes is one of the best DC's in college football. IMO he should have been DC last year instead of Robb Smith.
If he's so damn good, you'd think you could spell his name correctly.

GuvHog

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 09, 2017, 10:03:02 am
If he's so damn good, you'd think you could spell his name correctly.

My bad. Is it Rhoads or should there be an "e" between the d and the s??

Richard_white

I don't care how good the corners or safeties are, if the DL can't pass rush a darn the secondary will look bad.

LZH

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 09, 2017, 08:50:33 am
Seriously, this is Bret's mess to work through.  If you're going to blow it up, you might as well start at the top and let the new guy bring in his own staff.  Probably another reason why not much will happen in the next couple of years.  Or maybe things start to click.

You know I'm leaning this way, big time, but I'm afraid we'd wind up with a Jim Grobe and the next "BP" comes available next year. Because I don't know anyone out there right now that would really make a splash other than Chip Kelly.

PonderinHog

Quote from: LZH on January 09, 2017, 10:52:32 am
You know I'm leaning this way, big time, but I'm afraid we'd wind up with a Jim Grobe and the next "BP" comes available next year. Because I don't know anyone out there right now that would really make a splash other than Chip Kelly.
Impatience comes to those that have to wait too Long.   ;)

LZH

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 09, 2017, 10:55:34 am
Impatience comes to those that have to wait too Long.   ;)

Ha! Ain't that the damn truth.....