Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For people who complain about the homer media

Started by Biggus Piggus, January 06, 2017, 09:00:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Here are the most recent football headlines from the Demozette people.

"Best and worst of Arkansas' 2016 season: Hogs' best often occurred early; end was a fright"

"Wrong direction: Hogs take U-turn into this offseason"

"Miscues put Bielema back to beginning"

"Bielema needs to make changes ... in a snap"

"New year won't ease sting of Belk Bowl loss"

"With apologies, it's a wrap; Bielema, two seniors address pitfalls on, off the field"

"Staff decisions await Bielema"

These were all published in days after the bowl game coverage.

They are writing the same story over and over. This reminds me of Orville Henry's approach after Arkansas's dissatisfying 1987 season. Every time he wrote anything about the football team, he refused to move past problems that had caused the '87 team to disappoint.

In that spring, Orville published a complete dissection, position by position, of Arkansas's roster and coaching staff. It was all fueled by Frank Broyles's private observations, of course. And it was intended to force Ken Hatfield to make changes on his coaching staff. Hatfield really enjoyed that. In fact, he liked it so much that he spent the next two years lobbying for other jobs.

I wish I would read something in these latest stories that I didn't already know. But it is quite the change of direction to see the Razorback beat media on the offensive.
[CENSORED]!

BigE_23

Perhaps their feelings are a summation of the same perspective from the fanbase.

Helen Keller could see what's happening on the hill isn't commiserate with the salaries we are paying our coaches. Someone needs to say something.

I applaud the local media. It's time they stop kissing butt and do their job for a change.

Real fans (even those who don't buy tickets) deserve better.

Styflin

Maybe I'm just inpatient, but it's been real quiet on the hill (save a Jeff Long tweet). Makes one (or at least me) wonder.

ricepig

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 06, 2017, 09:00:45 am

"Best and worst of Arkansas' 2016 season: Hogs' best often occurred early; end was a fright"

"With apologies, it's a wrap; Bielema, two seniors address pitfalls on, off the field"

They are writing the same story over and over. This reminds me of Orville Henry's approach after Arkansas's dissatisfying 1987 season. Every time he wrote anything about the football team, he refused to move past problems that had caused the '87 team to disappoint.

In that spring, Orville published a complete dissection, position by position, of Arkansas's roster and coaching staff. It was all fueled by Frank Broyles's private observations, of course. And it was intended to force Ken Hatfield to make changes on his coaching staff. Hatfield really enjoyed that. In fact, he liked it so much that he spent the next two years lobbying for other jobs.

I wish I would read something in these latest stories that I didn't already know. But it is quite the change of direction to see the Razorback beat media on the offensive.

So, you're saying he'll be leaving in two more years.........

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

hogcard1964

Was 87 the Georgia loss in the Liberty Bowl.  I remember during that stretch it got to the point of as soon as the bowl match-ups came out, you knew we were going to lose.  We were a decent team playing in a bad conference that was always overmatched once we got into bowls. Very reminiscent of how Wisconsin was in Bret's later days there, huh?

ricepig

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on January 06, 2017, 09:54:38 am
Honeymoon is over.

Well, depends on the definition of honeymoon, and who's ever lasted 4 years in the first place?

Bacon_Bitz

Biggus, you left out the recent headline from your favorite Arkansas beat writer, "Hogs for Breakfast: Arkansas football actually overachieved in 2016"

PonderinHog

Quote from: Styflin on January 06, 2017, 09:15:08 am
Maybe I'm just inpatient, but it's been real quiet on the hill (save a Jeff Long tweet). Makes one (or at least me) wonder.
Get well soon!

BigE_23

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 06, 2017, 10:32:42 am
With respect to this part of your quote:

What role is the local media playing anymore?  They certainly don't have the ability to shape and drive opinion to the degree they used to with so many sources covering major college sports these days. 

I'm not disagreeing with you BigE_23, as much as I see the local media increasingly being relegated toward obsolescence.   
I agree - especially with the advent of social media and blogging. Everyone is a journalist now, so local media outlets have an uphill climb towards relevance.

What I'm referring to is the tendency that the OP touched on that many fans have complained about: Arkansas media personnel typically don't separate their job from their Razorback-Fandom. They enjoy the access they have to the program (as a fan) and cease to do their job (which it report on what's ACTUALLY happening). They don't want to lose what they have. This doesn't apply to all media, but in my assessment - most.

The difference between someone with a press pass and blogger is THE PRESS PASS! They can ask the hard questions. They can push for the answers that the everyday fan wants.

In Arkansas specifically - if they would do their job and not be afraid of being "shunned" they could increase their readership and viability...as well as creating more accountability on The Hill.

But that's just one man's opinion and I don't overvalue it.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: ricepig on January 06, 2017, 10:14:34 am
Well, depends on the definition of honeymoon, and who's ever lasted 4 years in the first place?

Never saw a marriage that handed out 4 year passes either. Not unreasonable to expect Coach to provide answers to the tough questions.

ricepig

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on January 06, 2017, 03:27:10 pm
Never saw a marriage that handed out 4 year passes either. Not unreasonable to expect Coach to provide answers to the tough questions.

Name me a coach that does, or further, one that gets asked them? Very few if any beat writers ask the "tough" questions to college coaches, if they do, most college coaches just change the subject. The last tough question I remember anyone asking an Arkansas coach was when BP was asked if he was alone on the motorcycle as he was leaving the "neck brace" PC.

JIHawg

On the basketball front we sure have had a lot of articles on Allen and Monk. Rubbing it in our face stuff.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: ricepig on January 06, 2017, 03:36:53 pm
Name me a coach that does, or further, one that gets asked them? Very few if any beat writers ask the "tough" questions to college coaches, if they do, most college coaches just change the subject. The last tough question I remember anyone asking an Arkansas coach was when BP was asked if he was alone on the motorcycle as he was leaving the "neck brace" PC.

I hear ya. Just saw the Robb Smith to Wake Forest thread. Hold on Rice, we're going for a ride. :)

depressed_fan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 06, 2017, 09:00:45 am

That news paper is on life support anyway. They have to tell the fans what they want to hear.

Fans want their reporters to be homers, until they don't. Petrino treated the media poorly and hog fans would attack if they complained about it.

NotSoFastMyFriend

The blood most people are smelling around the program is coming from their own broken noses..err...pride.

jvanhorn

Quote from: BigE_23 on January 06, 2017, 02:45:37 pm
I agree - especially with the advent of social media and blogging. Everyone is a journalist now, so local media outlets have an uphill climb towards relevance.

What I'm referring to is the tendency that the OP touched on that many fans have complained about: Arkansas media personnel typically don't separate their job from their Razorback-Fandom. They enjoy the access they have to the program (as a fan) and cease to do their job (which it report on what's ACTUALLY happening). They don't want to lose what they have. This doesn't apply to all media, but in my assessment - most.

The difference between someone with a press pass and blogger is THE PRESS PASS! They can ask the hard questions. They can push for the answers that the everyday fan wants.

In Arkansas specifically - if they would do their job and not be afraid of being "shunned" they could increase their readership and viability...as well as creating more accountability on The Hill.

But that's just one man's opinion and I don't overvalue it.

the problem with that is most of social media and blogging is good old fashioned bull darn.

Reporters found long ago that asking the tough questions usually gets you removed from the inner circle.  Much like you wouldn't invite any person into your home who might front you with his knowledge of you running around on your spouse right in front of your spouse, coaches do not like nor do they tolerate being fronted with their failures.

Torqued pork

Quote from: 12247 on January 06, 2017, 07:40:57 pm
Reporters found long ago that asking the tough questions usually gets you removed from the inner circle.  Much like you wouldn't invite any person into your home who might front you with his knowledge of you running around on your spouse right in front of your spouse, coaches do not like nor do they tolerate being fronted with their failures.
True. And for a sportswriter to make it statewide in Arkansas they make it much easier on themselves by being echo chambers of the company line.

Biggus Piggus

Imagine covering Nick Saban. He is intolerant of any pitch faster than 30 mph.
[CENSORED]!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 07, 2017, 03:48:38 pm
Small strike zone...

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Hmmm... so the PTB controlled the narrative in 1987, poisoning the waters through the media.  Despite the illness, the Hogs went on to win two conference championships in '88 and '89.  But then, the sickness took hold, leaving the program the program at the crux of instability and mediocrity for damn near 30 years. 

The same thing happened with the basketball team in what, 1997?   20 years later...

SemperFi

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on January 09, 2017, 10:20:46 am
Hmmm... so the PTB controlled the narrative in 1987, poisoning the waters through the media.  Despite the illness, the Hogs went on to win two conference championships in '88 and '89.  But then, the sickness took hold, leaving the program the program at the crux of instability and mediocrity for damn near 30 years. 

The same thing happened with the basketball team in what, 1997?   20 years later...

I don't believe that the effects on the football program has been as detrimental as it was to the basketball team, which is still suffering from the Nolan debacle. The way that was handled was about as bad as it could get. Nolan deserved much better and didn't receive it. Coaching mistakes is what has kept the football program down, well, that and having to play for 2nd place in the SEC West thanks to Nick Saban.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Jim Harris

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 06, 2017, 10:13:46 am
Was 87 the Georgia loss in the Liberty Bowl.  I remember during that stretch it got to the point of as soon as the bowl match-ups came out, you knew we were going to lose.  We were a decent team playing in a bad conference that was always overmatched once we got into bowls. Very reminiscent of how Wisconsin was in Bret's later days there, huh?

And yet Arkansas wasn't overmatched by Georgia in the least. In fact, Ken Hatfield decided to acquiesce Greg Thomas' wishes to be allowed to throw the ball more (and the fans also were demanding it, pointing to the no pass attempts in the 16-14 last-second loss to Texas). Greg, who lives in the Metroplex, will tell you this whole story today with a little chagrin and a laugh, but Arkansas was throwing the football with a 17-7 lead and he threw two interceptions that allowed Georgia to really and win the game on the final play on a John Kasay field goal, 20-17.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 07, 2017, 03:48:38 pm

He'll kill ya if you throw one at a his chin.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 06, 2017, 10:13:46 am
I remember during that stretch it got to the point of as soon as the bowl match-ups came out, you knew we were going to lose.  We were a decent team playing in a bad conference that was always overmatched once we got into bowls.
Part of that was probably that bowl teams had plenty of time to prepare for Hatfield's "Flexbone" offensive.

HF#1

The Missouri game was the beginning of the end for Bielema. Combine that with the Virginia Tech debacle and he has lost a good chunk of the fanbase.

Until he is willing to take chances on the recruiting trail, we will continue to use coordinators as scapegoats. We have to upgrade our talent.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

code red

Quote from: HF#1 on January 09, 2017, 02:12:41 pm
The Missouri game was the beginning of the end for Bielema. Combine that with the Virginia Tech debacle and he has lost a good chunk of the fanbase.

Until he is willing to take chances on the recruiting trail, we will continue to use coordinators as scapegoats. We have to upgrade our talent.
Absolutely....I love that our GPA is up but gotta get some studs.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

HF#1

Quote from: code red on January 09, 2017, 02:22:54 pm
Absolutely....I love that our GPA is up but gotta get some studs.

It has always bothered me that we judge kids based on tweets or something they may have said. Kids say dumb crap all the time. If we pass on kids for BS like this, we will never have the talent to compete in this league.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

PonderinHog

Quote from: HF#1 on January 09, 2017, 02:26:05 pm
It has always bothered me that we judge kids based on tweets or something they may have said. Kids say dumb crap all the time. If we pass on kids for BS like this, we will never have the talent to compete in this league.
That Clemson grope squad is uncommon.