Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SW Classic question

Started by Dirttrackhog, January 05, 2017, 12:40:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirttrackhog

Why is it when we won 3 in a row it was great, and helped recruiting in Texas, and the best thing since sliced bread.  Now that we have lost several in a row, its horrible, we are giving up a home game, etc...

code red

Winning....cures everything.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Dirttrackhog on January 05, 2017, 12:40:45 pm
Why is it when we won 3 in a row it was great, and helped recruiting in Texas, and the best thing since sliced bread.  Now that we have lost several in a row, its horrible, we are giving up a home game, etc...

If you are directing this to my comments, I've never liked.  Thought we were grossly oversold with what it would do for Texas football recruiting.  Thought it limited our scheduling flexibility way too much as well.  Thought it was initially a good branding idea for our program as I thought our game was going to be unique in Jerry World.  Instead Jerry will rent out that stadium to anyone and thus so many other college games in it killed what could have been the "specialness" of our game. 

This was before A&M came into SEC.

Once they came into the conference, giving up that home game every other season has added to my dislike of it.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

lstewart

I think the main factor was Texas A&M becoming a member of the SEC West. When we played A&M there while A&M was in the Big 12, it gave us a game in the Dallas area for recruits to check out, or play in their home state if they came here, but we were still maybe their best option to play in the SEC. Now A&M offers the SEC option, and it seems it has become tougher to compete for the better talent in east Texas with Baylor and TCU moving up, along with all the other schools recruiting the area. For some reason folks thought having A&M join the SEC would help us recruit in Texas. That does not seem to be the case. And of course as mentioned, we can't beat A&M. I would prefer to play them home and home. If we want to play something in Dallas, I would prefer a non-conference game.

k.c.hawg

It was a non con then and it seems the longer we go less hog fans make the trip and it is becoming more lopsided in fan ratio.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

hogsanity

When it was an OOC game it was good because it meant we had a decent OOC game every year, and still had 4 sec games in state. Now, it is just another tough conf game, and it means every other year the hogs only have 3 in state sec games.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hoggish1

January 05, 2017, 01:00:59 pm #6 Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 02:23:41 pm by Hoggish1
Why is it when we won 3 in a row it was great, and helped recruiting in Texas, and the best thing since sliced bread. 

Because the three wins to start the series was against an old SWC rival.  The losses since were against a SEC rival that has shed their old persona.  No less evident than when they spend $500,000,000 to upgrade their entire stadium so that it is perhaps not only the best in the SEC but maybe in the nation.  We may have significant cost overruns with our end zone installation that could approach $200 million when it's completed. TAMU gets a whole stadium for spending about 60% more than we spend for an end zone....

That tells me something and it should tell anyone else paying attention something, too.

Sed76

Would love to keep the game there but not A&M. Keep calling it the SW Classic but rotate the other SWC teams. Doesn't make a lot of sense now that it's a conference game.

ricepig

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 05, 2017, 01:00:59 pm
Because the three wins to start the season was against an old SWC rival.  The losses since were against a SEC rival that has shed their old persona.  No less evident than when they spend $500,000,000 to upgrade their entire stadium so that it is perhaps not only the best in the SEC but maybe in the nation.  We may have significant cost overruns with our end zone installation that could approach $200 million when it's completed. TAMU gets a whole stadium for spending about 60% more than we spend for an end zone....

That tells me something and it should tell anyone else paying attention something, too.

Lol, we may get it built for $20M less, too. The $140M has $20M built into it for cost overruns, but no one seems to remember that.

hawginbigd1

Just went to kyle field and blue bell park this summer. Those places are dumps compared to our facilities

defcoach

Because when you win 3 in a row it is great, Texas kids get to see what the Hogs can do.  When we lost several in a row, its horrible, Texas kids see what the Hogs can do....

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Sed76 on January 05, 2017, 01:11:29 pm
Would love to keep the game there but not A&M. Keep calling it the SW Classic but rotate the other SWC teams. Doesn't make a lot of sense now that it's a conference game.

I like this idea in that it keeps it interesting by rotating opponents and ensures 4 SEC home games every year.

Texas A&M wants out of it too.  Another option would be to play an OOC game there every other year.  Say for example we do home and home with Baylor.  Our home portion would be at Jerry World thus fulfilling our obligation every other year, and as we rotate old SWC foes, when we play at their place we are still playing in Texas so we get a game in Texas every year.  A&M could do the same thing in the years we aren't playing there.  They could schedule an old SWC or B12 foe.  This puts Arkansas or A&M playing there every year just not against each other.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hawganatic

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 05, 2017, 04:30:21 pm
I like this idea in that it keeps it interesting by rotating opponents and ensures 4 SEC home games every year.

Texas A&M wants out of it too.  Another option would be to play an OOC game there every other year.  Say for example we do home and home with Baylor.  Our home portion would be at Jerry World thus fulfilling our obligation every other year, and as we rotate old SWC foes, when we play at their place we are still playing in Texas so we get a game in Texas every year.  A&M could do the same thing in the years we aren't playing there.  They could schedule an old SWC or B12 foe.  This puts Arkansas or A&M playing there every year just not against each other.

Do we really want out of it?  Mean the school, not the fans.  I'm sure Jones would relent if we did want out and A&M agreed to it.

ricepig

Quote from: hawganatic on January 05, 2017, 04:51:39 pm
Do we really want out of it?  Mean the school, not the fans.  I'm sure Jones would relent if we did want out and A&M agreed to it.

Nope, presently there is no indication of wanting out.

Wildhog

Well, it never helped recruiting.  So there's that.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 05, 2017, 04:55:16 pm
Well, it never helped recruiting.  So there's that.

Well, maybe it will in the next 8 years.  ;)

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: hawganatic on January 05, 2017, 04:51:39 pm

Long term the school and the program would be better off playing home SEC games at home.  The remodeled stadium is going to need 4 SEC games a year to help pay for it.  My suggestion playing there every other year and making it a non con game helps. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on January 05, 2017, 01:14:31 pm
Lol, we may get it built for $20M less, too. The $140M has $20M built into it for cost overruns, but no one seems to remember that.

I'll go out on a limb and say they will spend the $160 M.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Hogwild

Quote from: hogsanity on January 05, 2017, 01:00:44 pm
When it was an OOC game it was good because it meant we had a decent OOC game every year, and still had 4 sec games in state. Now, it is just another tough conf game, and it means every other year the hogs only have 3 in state sec games.

You nailed it.  I would rather play A&M home/home, while adding a non conference game in Dallas, like Bama & LSU do.

Losing in Dallas year after year, has affected recruiting.  We have one commitment from a Texas recruit, his only in state offer was from Texas State.

Razorbackers

I think the argument would be that we didn't have a conference game in texas at the time, and it was a high profile non-conference game.

Now we're losing a conference game every other year to play on the road in a state where we would already be playing if we did home/home.

Not to be that guy, but every other season we lose 2 home games to non-Fayetteville locations.

code red

Id be fine with it if it wasn't a SEC opponent.  If it were Texas or Wisconsin then yeah.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

woodhog14

Quote from: hogsanity on January 05, 2017, 01:00:44 pm

This

Hogwild

Quote from: Razorbackers on January 09, 2017, 12:52:12 pm
I think the argument would be that we didn't have a conference game in texas at the time, and it was a high profile non-conference game.

Now we're losing a conference game every other year to play on the road in a state where we would already be playing if we did home/home.

Not to be that guy, but every other season we lose 2 home games to non-Fayetteville locations.

And the years when we lose a home conference game, the final two games of the year are home SEC games. 
Which means through the first 11 weeks of the season (Nov. 18th), we only play one home conference game, Auburn.

factchecker

Some fans hate playing in a pro stadium.... I like it.  I think it's fun to play a game in Cowboys stadium.  It's awesome to see what a former Razorback has built.

With that being said, the game should be a non-con.  We lose a home conference game every other year playing in Arlington.  We could rotate through old SWC opponents (TCU,SMU,Baylor,Texass etc.) through the venue.

The only benefit we get playing AnM in Dallas is that we keep the cult and their midnight yell away from Arkansas.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS