Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Talking to Some Non-Hogville Razorback Fans

Started by NaturalStateReb, January 05, 2017, 10:54:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

EastexHawg

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 06, 2017, 01:31:08 pm
Are we going to talk about the strength of schedule since 2012 versus the prior 60 years?  Or do you just conveniently ignore that?

Seriously, the SEC-W has been on a historic run since 2012.  I don't just mean Bama, but the entire conference.

That's not what he said.  He said results the last few years have been pretty much the same as the last 50.

As for the SEC West being so much better since 2012 than before...seriously?  In 2010 the SEC West had the #1, 8, 10, 12, and 15 teams in the final AP Poll.  How many teams is the West going to place in the top 15 this year?  In addition to those numbers, two other teams the 2010 Hogs played and beat...Texas A&M and South Carolina...finished 19th and 22nd respectively.

Do I need to mention 2011, when going into the last weekend of the season SEC West teams were ranked 1st, 2nd, and 3rd?  Two West teams played in the national championship game and Arkansas beat a 10-2, 8th ranked team in the Cotton Bowl.  Oh, and South Carolina also finished 11-2 and ranked 9th.  I know they're not in the West, I'm just pointing out that we played another top ten team from the East that year.

Pork Twain

January 06, 2017, 01:45:39 pm #101 Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 02:03:36 pm by Pork Twain
Quote from: EastexHawg on January 06, 2017, 01:19:57 pm
From 1959, when Broyles got the Arkansas program going, through 2011 the Arkansas football program lost 208 games in 53 years.  That's an average of 3.92 losses per year.  Since 2012, we have lost 34 games in five years...an average of 6.8 per year.

So no, recent results aren't really pretty much equal to our historical average.  Losing almost three more games per season isn't comparable, similar, or any other word you want to use.
You sure are good at picking and choosing your data points to skew the results.  Bravo...  Why not be fair and look at it before and after joining the SEC or before and after desegregation?  Wanna pause to discuss who those SWC victories were against vs who these SEC losses have been against?  The same arguments we all used to make against Boise St and TCU because of their weak schedule, could be said of us.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 06, 2017, 01:45:39 pm
You sure are good at picking and choosing your data points to skew the results.  Bravo...  Why not be fair and look at it before and after joining the SEC or before and after desegregation?

Who on earth would ever compare Arkansas's SWC record with its SEC record without acknowledging the massive difference in difficulty? Only a serious tool.
[CENSORED]!

Pork Twain

January 06, 2017, 02:16:48 pm #103 Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 02:27:22 pm by Pork Twain
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 06, 2017, 01:53:47 pm
Who on earth would ever compare Arkansas's SWC record with its SEC record without acknowledging the massive difference in difficulty? Only a serious tool.
Agreed and thought it was fortunate for East that he padded his stats from 2011 and before, with decades of SWC records but only focused on the last 4 years in the SEC to bitch about.  Let me use the entire history of the program, often against lesser competition and use it to compare to the last few years.

I don't think some people are aware of just how boring my new job is and how much time I have on my hands to look up stupid stuff and make charts.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

EastexHawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 06, 2017, 01:53:47 pm

Another poster said the last 50 years.  I refuted that.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 06, 2017, 02:16:48 pm
Agreed and thought it was fortunate for East that he padded his stats from 2011 and before, with decades of SWC records but only focused on the last 4 years in the SEC to bitch about.  Let me use the entire history of the program, often against lesser competition and use it to compare to the last few years.

I don't think some people are aware of just how boring my new job is and how much time I have on my hands to look up stupid stuff and make charts.

Okay, from 1992 when Arkansas joined the SEC through 2011...20 seasons...Arkansas lost 104 games.  That's 5.2 per season.  Since 2013, we've lost 6.5 per season.

I'm not sure what "before integration" proves.  Arkansas was playing SWC games against other SWC teams that were mostly white.  I think SMU's Jerry Levias in the mid to late 60s may have been the first African-American SWC star.  Why was it an advantage to play other mostly white schools?  How did that pad the W/L record?  Would it have been harder for us to win games if we had had plenty of black players on the roster?

Pork Twain

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 06, 2017, 02:49:23 pm
Okay, from 1992 when Arkansas joined the SEC through 2011...20 seasons...Arkansas lost 104 games.  That's 5.2 per season.  Since 2013, we've lost 6.5 per season.

I'm not sure what "before integration" proves.  Arkansas was playing SWC games against other SWC teams that were mostly white.  I think SMU's Jerry Levias in the mid to late 60s may have been the first African-American SWC star.  Why was it an advantage to play other mostly white schools?  How did that pad the W/L record?  Would it have been harder for us to win games if we had had plenty of black players on the roster?
So after the bike wreck that brought down the UofA and a year of JLS, we don't get a chance to recover?

EastexHawg

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 06, 2017, 03:28:23 pm
So after the bike wreck that brought down the UofA and a year of JLS, we don't get a chance to recover?

I would need an 18 wheeler full of footballs to hit those moving goalposts.

AirWarren

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 06, 2017, 12:22:17 pm
What does make my opinion more valid than yours is that I know what I'm talking about.

Just because you're a moderator. No it doesn't.

Pork Twain

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 06, 2017, 04:11:51 pm
I would need an 18 wheeler full of footballs to hit those moving goalposts.
so no?  I wish CBB got the HDN or MA pass, which they received for much less.

HoggyCat

Quote from: TexasRazorback on January 05, 2017, 11:16:02 am
Also We DID NOT steal a win at TCU. We won that game. We tried to give it away and pulled through to win.

Yet if their kicker elevated the ball 6 more inches, and if LaTech hits one of their two missed FGs, were 5-7 at best, and the VaTech collapse isn't even in the picture.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Pig Worshipper

Talked to some Non-Hog fans NYE and they ALL want him to stay at Arkansas. They like kicking our ass.

bennyl08

Quote from: HoggyCat on January 07, 2017, 11:28:20 am
Yet if their kicker elevated the ball 6 more inches, and if LaTech hits one of their two missed FGs, were 5-7 at best, and the VaTech collapse isn't even in the picture.

Change 5 plays and we were 10-3.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

EastexHawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 07, 2017, 05:53:26 pm

That's an interesting thought.  It's also ridiculous.  A&M and Alabama beat us by three TDs each.  LSU beat us by 4 TDs, Auburn beat us 56-3, and we'd have needed two more TDs to beat Virginia Tech.

Where are you going to use your five plays to get three more wins?  I assume at least one of them is going to be against Missouri.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 05, 2017, 10:54:25 am
At a NYE party the other night, I was with several non-Hogville Razorback fans, and asked them whether they were ready to see Bielema go.  I figured the answer overall would probably be a "yes," but I was surprised to see that the consensus of the group was more like a "not quite yet."

The reasons that they gave didn't have anything to do with the buyout, which is what I expected to hear next.  They said that Bielema had taken over a huge mess and had quite a bit of staff and player turnover.  Recruiting at Arkansas was hard, so when the Hogs have a bust, it hurts more than it does for other West teams.  Their expectations were not to win the West, at least while Saban was around.  They thought winning 9 games was a very solid result, and Bielema hasn't been far from that.  Missouri and VT were disappointing, and left a bad taste, but every season involves wins you steal (like TCU) and losses you give away (MO and VT). 

I was a little surprised to hear the lack of passion for Bielema's exit, but it may show that overall upset in the fanbase just isn't widespread.  Disappointment, yes, but not ready to fly the banners.

My experience has been tha opposite.  A lot of frustration and beleimia blaming out there
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

26.2Hog

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 07, 2017, 05:53:26 pm

Yeah, that's the kind of nonsense Hootie used to spout.

factchecker

Quote from: 26.2Hog on January 07, 2017, 06:40:52 pm
Yeah, that's the kind of nonsense Hootie used to spout.

It's in response to the bullllshit that some fans are saying: "Ya know, we were like, uh, like 2 plays from being 1-11."
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

donk

Quote from: BigSexyHog on January 05, 2017, 01:37:53 pm
What mess did he take over?  There was no mess here.  Heck we just went to the sugar bowl.  The only mess was that stupid *** as clown John Smith.  I am sick and tired of the excuses by hog fans.  God, some of yall are just pathetic.   Stop making excuses all the time. 

i have friends that work in the UA athletic dept and this is laughable.

bennyl08

Quote from: factchecker on January 07, 2017, 06:50:01 pm
It's in response to the bullllshit that some fans are saying: "Ya know, we were like, uh, like 2 plays from being 1-11."

This guy gets it.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

JIHawg

We just have to reach a higher plateau in the SEC than regularly beating the crap out of the lowly Mississippi schools.

EastexHawg

factchecker

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 08, 2017, 10:43:18 pm
Nice try.  Do you think anyone will buy it?

Buy what?

Benny is one of the few level headed posters on here.  His response was to the posters who want to assign more losses to us than we had.  We seriously have to be the only fanbase that claims moral losses.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

LZH

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 06, 2017, 12:37:40 pm
More importantly, there is not even a minor rumbling among big boosters and/or University big wigs.

How do you know this?

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!

EastexHawg

Quote from: factchecker on January 08, 2017, 10:47:37 pm
Buy what?

Benny is one of the few level headed posters on here.  His response was to the posters who want to assign more losses to us than we had.  We seriously have to be the only fanbase that claims moral losses.

He said we were five plays from 10-3.  If he was merely mocking people who say we were that close to 1-11, why not five plays from 12-1?  13-0?

We are what our record says we are, a 7-6 football team. 

ricepig

hawgsalot

Quote from: LZH on January 09, 2017, 05:39:32 am
How do you know this?

I know a booster fairly well and see him often, lives down the street. He loves to talk razorback sports but you have to read between the lines.
#1 they don't tip there hand on hiring and firing #2 CBB is all good with him for now they have a much more macro view on Arkansas and jhow athletics fits in the grand scheme, #3 they trust long to no end currently, easy to do so when you see the books.  What Long wants he'll get but have another down year next year and there will no doubt be rumblings.

AirWarren

Quote from: hawgsalot on January 09, 2017, 10:28:21 am
I know a booster fairly well and see him often, lives down the street. He loves to talk razorback sports but you have to read between the lines.
#1 they don't tip there hand on hiring and firing #2 CBB is all good with him for now they have a much more macro view on Arkansas and jhow athletics fits in the grand scheme, #3 they trust long to no end currently, easy to do so when you see the books.  What Long wants he'll get but have another down year next year and there will no doubt be rumblings.

My great uncles best friend sister's best friend who has a friend that lives down the street...

Pork Twain

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 09, 2017, 08:50:06 am
He said we were five plays from 10-3.  If he was merely mocking people who say we were that close to 1-11, why not five plays from 12-1?  13-0?

We are what our record says we are, a 7-6 football team. 
Why are so many quick to say we were X plays from 2-3 more losses?  Do they really want us to have a worse record?  Is that what would make their day?

DeltaBoy

At a NYE party the other night, I was with several non-Hogville Razorback fans, and asked them whether they were ready to see Bielema go.  I figured the answer overall would probably be a "yes," but I was surprised to see that the consensus of the group was more like a "not quite yet."

The reasons that they gave didn't have anything to do with the buyout, which is what I expected to hear next.  They said that Bielema had taken over a huge mess and had quite a bit of staff and player turnover.  Recruiting at Arkansas was hard, so when the Hogs have a bust, it hurts more than it does for other West teams.  Their expectations were not to win the West, at least while Saban was around.  They thought winning 9 games was a very solid result, and Bielema hasn't been far from that.  Missouri and VT were disappointing, and left a bad taste, but every season involves wins you steal (like TCU) and losses you give away (MO and VT). 

I was a little surprised to hear the lack of passion for Bielema's exit, but it may show that overall upset in the fanbase just isn't widespread.  Disappointment, yes, but not ready to fly the banners.

It good to see many here are more than likely are overreacting including myself.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Athog

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 05, 2017, 11:38:06 am
I think average Hogville members are more fanatic then the average fan.  They read more articles about the Hogs and the other SEC teams, so on average, Hogville posters are more informed than the average fan.

When a coach is entering murky waters, the average Hogville fan turns on them faster than the average fan.  This is the case with CBB.  You can see the movement starting here.  It will reach the average fan about a season later.  As much as I dislike HDN, he is right in saying CBB will be on the hot seat next year.   Next year is a big year for CBB.  If he doesn't win 9, he most likely will be looking for another job. 

The Hogville fan is much more vocal. I am not sure they are any more fanatical! They do talk more!!

aloha_kid

My guess is that not everyone is a knee jerk irrational fan.  Cooler heads will prevail in the long run.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: aloha_kid on January 11, 2017, 09:01:29 pm
My guess is that not everyone is a knee jerk irrational fan.  Cooler heads will prevail in the long run.

I think it's kind of "wait and see, but we want to see pretty soon."
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.