Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tom Murphy's article in today's Demozette

Started by lutherheggs, January 05, 2017, 10:04:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngsta71701

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 05, 2017, 03:00:14 pm
Will you please stop it? take that junk back to jump Ball please! this thread is about coach B and football. not about Anderson and basketball. you turn almost every thread into this crap!
I think he's picking with you Joe...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

GolfnHog

Quote from: GuvHog on January 05, 2017, 12:10:23 pm
Arkansas just beat Florida for the first time and South Carolina is no Florida so trading Florida for SC is very favorable for the Hogs even though it means going to SC. Ole Miss is in shambles and under NCAA investigation so that's a very winnable game. Arkansas is way overdue for a win in Arlington.

BAMA and LSU are the only 2 games on the schedule that I have the Hogs losing

your suppositions and theories are attune to  as using a garden hose on a gas fire but keep trying to fight that fire.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

forrest city joe

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 05, 2017, 03:01:53 pm
I think he's picking with you Joe...
Yep. but the guy never stops. but getting back to the subject. coach B better wake up before it's to late. this past season was a wake up call for a lot of people.not just the last 2 games. but getting blown out and destroyed by almost every good team we played.and putting a defense like this on a college football field. he better get this crap fixed and fast.

26.2Hog

Quote from: LZH on January 05, 2017, 02:39:47 pm
Or Hatfield, or Holtz......

True, when Hatfield was here he never could beat Alabama.  Of course, we never played them then.

Holtz blew his one and only chance in the '80 Sugar Bowl, resulting in Bama winning the national championship.  That loss knocked poor lil ol Arkansas down to #8.

Sportster365

As of 1/5/2017 he's sitting at #6

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatRanking.htm

If he goes out and hires a top notch DC that could potentially take some of the pressure of him. I'm afraid even if he does find the perfect DC, if the guy does really well he won't be around for long and will be right back at square one. If we're truly building for the future the only real solution is to replace the HC

Gladstonesmoans

Coach B has the Auburn game circled every year--even last fall... 

Sportster365

Quote from: Gladstonesmoans on January 05, 2017, 03:43:56 pm

And lets not forget these guys:

26.2Hog

Quote from: Gladstonesmoans on January 05, 2017, 03:43:56 pm

He probably should circle it three or four times for next year.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Sportster365 on January 05, 2017, 03:40:31 pm
As of 1/5/2017 he's sitting at #6

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatRanking.htm

If he goes out and hires a top notch DC that could potentially take some of the pressure of him. I'm afraid even if he does find the perfect DC, if the guy does really well he won't be around for long and will be right back at square one. If we're truly building for the future the only real solution is to replace the HC

If a DC does really well at Arkansas, he should RUN!  Jump on that lottery ticket and cash in. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

forrest city joe

Coach B has a record of 2 and 10,against A&M,Auburn and Miss.State. that is not going to cut it. just pitiful.

ArkansasI

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 05, 2017, 03:49:47 pm
Coach B has a record of 2 and 10,against A&M,Auburn and Miss.State. that is not going to cut it. just pitiful.
Joe,

Bret has recruited better than any coach in Razorback football history.

Bret has played better competition than any coach in Razorback football history.

The A&M losses have admittedly been tough.  Some tough calls (leg whip), amazing plays, brutal losses.  A&M has more resources than anyone else in the SEC except Georgia and Florida.

Auburn cheats.

We lost to the best teams/player that Mississippi State has produced.

We have a new quarterback this year...  Does the coach get any credit for wins against very good Ole Miss and Florida teams?

The last two losses were ugly, but would the record, alone, justify your opinion?

I don't understand your hate for Bret and love for Mike.  Very inconsistent opinions of things.

RME

But hey, he's sure as hell competitive against Alabama and LSU, and that's a huge part of it!!!!!!!!!!

/s

farmhawg

Quote from: ricepig on January 05, 2017, 10:56:26 am
Correct, it's a neutral site game, have you ever been?
Always so passive aggressive.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

ricepig

Quote from: farmhawg on January 05, 2017, 04:39:00 pm
Always so passive aggressive.....

Just drinking some wine, eating cheese, soaking up some rays.......

forrest city joe

Quote from: ArkansasI on January 05, 2017, 04:07:07 pm
Joe,

Bret has played better competition than any coach in Razorback football history.

The A&M losses have admittedly been tough.  Some tough calls (leg whip), amazing plays, brutal losses.  A&M has more resources than anyone else in the SEC except Georgia and Florida.

Auburn cheats.

We have a new quarterback this year...  Does the coach get any credit for wins against very good Ole Miss and Florida teams?

The last two losses were ugly, but would the record, alone, justify your opinion?

I don't understand your hate for Bret and love for Mike.  Very inconsistent opinions of things.
Not inconsistent at all.i see 1 program trending up.and the other having all kinds of problem. just calling it like i see it.

KennyForAD

Quote from: gmarv on January 05, 2017, 12:28:50 pm
I think what he is trying to say is that we get more winable games at home and we ain,t beating Bama and LSU no matter where we play them,but i could be speaking out of turn too.

Right.  If you figure Bama and LSU are losses, regardless of where played, then our schedule is that much easier when we play them on the road.

Hogwild

Does the coach get any credit for wins against very good Ole Miss and Florida teams?

That very good Ole Miss team ? They went 2-7 against teams from Power 5 conferences and winless away from Oxford. 

forrest city joe

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 05, 2017, 04:24:10 pm
But hey, he's sure as hell competitive against Alabama and LSU, and that's a huge part of it!!!!!!!!!!

/s
He's 2 and 6,against Bama and Lsu. not good either.

Inhogswetrust

No it isn't going to cut it. BUT the football program might have been in just as bad of shape as basketball yet you were willing to give Mike more years than Bret has had......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

It would be nice if BB could just talk hisself into the situation.  He could have said, in his statement, WHAT WE'VE BEEN DOING.  I HAVE ALWAYS POINTED TO YEAR 5 AS THE TURNING POINT IN WHAT WE'VE BEEN DOING.  DAMN IT, MAKE YOURSELF A PART OF THE DAMN TEAM, JUST FOR STARTERS.

I believe if we win 6 next year BB will be blessed with an extension and likely a raise.  I believe we will do better next year and it is not because of a better schedule, it will be because BB will go to work and build a team from what he has to work with and actually quit with the aloof darn and try training, conditioning and mentally preparing our players to play football.  If my guess is correct, every Sunshiner on here can bray and fart like a young mule and point out how they told you so, it just took time to get all the pieces in place when that will have very little or nothing to do with it.

lutherheggs

Demozette at it again today. Huge headline to the main article on the Sports front page that has a definite negative tone to it:

"CHILLS REPLACED THRILLS" and, "Hogs' best often occurred early; end was a fright."

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: buldozer on January 05, 2017, 12:23:31 pm
Quote from: 26.2Hog on Today at 10:25:53 am
Here is the direct quote from Tom Murphy's article:

"I've always said year five, that next year's season is kind of the defining moment of what you've been doing and what you're trying to get to," he (Bielema) said.

Remember that quote.

Yea, that's what big mouth CBB is prolly thinking about now.....

CBB isn't an idiot. He knows that if next year is a flop, then it's not going to end pretty for him. So why not do what he's always done, make people believe in what's to come. And before anyone says "well he needs top show results, not talk"...this is what coaches do in his position. They make people buy into them in the hopes their hard work will pay off in the future.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

gawntrail

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 05, 2017, 10:52:22 am
Harbaugh spends 10x as much time seeking publicity, yet we have people naively assume that "Being Bret Bielema" actually came out of coaching time.

Coaching time is not just time spent with players.

ricepig

Quote from: gawntrail on January 06, 2017, 11:02:13 am
Coaching time is not just time spent with players.

Correct, even Saban sleeps in the summer.

bvillepig

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 05, 2017, 11:14:49 am
As always, drawing static W-L standards is overly simplistic. You know hardly anything about the teams on next season's schedule. You don't know enough to decide whether 4-4 is too high or too low of a bar.

This is so true.

I had us at pre season last year at 7-5 but missed on a couple of games. I had us losing on the road to TCU but winning the A@M game. I had us losing to Florida but beating Missouri.  As the season unfolded it was the way we lost that began to raise some doubts. Then we beat Florida and it looked as if we had a chance to exceed my expectations. Missouri made me and a lot of other people sick.  There was zero excuse for what happened and we all have beat on that till it's time to move on. VT was just more of the same.

I took a wait see on BB when he was hired. At year five I still feel the same way which is kind of sad. Not ready to give up on him yet because he has shown glimpses of being what we need.  He sells Arkansas and is a nice guy.  Can we do better? It's a roll of the dice.  I do think long term stability is needed for a job such as Arkansas.

Next year the away schedule is brutal. I can see another 7-5.   Will I be disappointed with that?  That depends on how it plays out.

For one I would like to see Bielema start trusting some of the youngsters a little earlier in their career with playing time.

GuvHog

Quote from: bvillepig on January 06, 2017, 12:04:41 pm
This is so true.

I had us at pre season last year at 7-5 but missed on a couple of games. I had us losing on the road to TCU but winning the A@M game. I had us losing to Florida but beating Missouri.  As the season unfolded it was the way we lost that began to raise some doubts. Then we beat Florida and it looked as if we had a chance to exceed my expectations. Missouri made me and a lot of other people sick.  There was zero excuse for what happened and we all have beat on that till it's time to move on. VT was just more of the same.

I took a wait see on BB when he was hired. At year five I still feel the same way which is kind of sad. Not ready to give up on him yet because he has shown glimpses of being what we need.  He sells Arkansas and is a nice guy.  Can we do better? It's a roll of the dice.  I do think long term stability is needed for a job such as Arkansas.

Next year the away schedule is brutal. I can see another 7-5.   Will I be disappointed with that?  That depends on how it plays out.

For one I would like to see Bielema start trusting some of the youngsters a little earlier in their career with playing time.

I don't see next year's schedule as brutal. Please explain in detail why you believe it is.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

bvillepig

Quote from: GuvHog on January 06, 2017, 02:42:29 pm
I don't see next year's schedule as brutal. Please explain in detail why you believe it is.

Brutal might have been the wrong word but next years schedule does not set up as well as this last one.
Alabama, LSU, on the road.  TCU and Auburn are toss ups along with A&M until we can prove we can beat them.    South Carolina and Ole Miss on the road.  Given what we are losing from this years team my expectations are not very high.   I am not very happy about it but other than for discussion it not in my control.

harrisburghog

The worst thing that could happen for the fututre of the program is for the team to win 8-9 games next year. If that happens BB will get a raise and an extension.

woodhog14

Quote from: GuvHog on January 05, 2017, 12:18:57 pm
9 games in a row, not 10. That's one more than this last year.

Though the road schedule is a bit more difficult (I don't consider the game @South Carolina to be difficult and Ole Miss is in shambles under an NCAA investigation), the overall schedule is more favorable to the Hogs.

No...10 GAMES IN A ROW. Count with me:

9/2  Florida A&M
9/9  TCU
9/16  BYE WEEK
9/23  Texas A&M - 1
9/30  New Mexico St. - 2
10/7  South Carolina - 3
10/14  Bama - 4
10/21  Auburn - 5
10/28  Ole Miss - 6
11/4 Coastal Carolina - 7
11/11  LSU - 8
11/18  State - 9
11/25  Missouri - 10

10 games in a row without a BYE is brutal.

Redhogs

Joe,

Auburn cheats.

I don't know what you do for a living, but if there is  position out there somewhere for excuse maker, you need to apply, you would kill it at that position.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

It's all part of the magical rebuild, building it the right way. It's only year four, part of the master plan.

Redhogs

Quote from: harrisburghog on January 06, 2017, 03:47:36 pm
The worst thing that could happen for the fututre of the program is for the team to win 8-9 games next year. If that happens BB will get a raise and an extension.
No doubt.

rzrbk4life

Quote from: harrisburghog on January 06, 2017, 03:47:36 pm
[/quote

Yea I think if he wins anything between 6-9 he'll get another extension. Unless he absolutely tanks next season he'll be here again for 2018.
Let's call those hogs!!!!

jvanhorn

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on January 05, 2017, 10:22:32 am
10 'W's in 2017.  Nothing less is acceptable. 

Maybe you haven't noticed the teams in our division.  Every year before the season even starts you can count on two or three loses just by looking at the schedule. That means you have almost no wiggle room.

forrest city joe

Quote from: jvanhorn on January 06, 2017, 06:05:25 pm
Maybe you haven't noticed the teams in our division.  Every year before the season even starts you can count on two or three loses just by looking at the schedule. That means you have almost no wiggle room.
Then get good enough to beat those teams.

longtimeHogfan

It's year five and the bloom is off CBB's rose for me after Auburn, Missouri & the Belk Bowl.  Everything should be in place that's going to be.  If this isn't the year for 10 'W's then start over.  Again. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on January 06, 2017, 11:06:13 am
Correct, even Saban sleeps in the summer.

And/or gets polluted and slips & cracks his head open on Les Miles' boat.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 05, 2017, 01:49:45 pm
https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-football-2017-preview-depth-chart

Returning Offensive Starters:
QB- Austin Allen
RB- Rawleigh Williams
FB- Kendrick Jackson and Hayden Johnson were co-starters
WR- Jared Cornelius
TE- Austin Cantrell, consider him a starter because of the 11 set they played with him and Sprinkle as the starting TE's.
LG- Hjolte Froholdt
C- Frank Ragnow
RG- Johnny Gibson
RT- Brian Wallace

9 returning starters on offense.

Retruning Defensive Starters:
DE- Tevin Beanum co-starter with Jamichael Winston
DT- McTelvin Agim
OLB- Randy Ramsey
OLB- Dre Greenlaw
CB- Ryan Pulley
CB- Henre Toliver
FS- Josh Liddell
SS- De'Andre Coley or Santos Ramirez were co-starters
NB- Kevin Richardson

8 returning starters on defense.

Then you add in Kevin Richardson at the nickel. He is the forgotten man in our defensive secondary. Smart player.

That's a lot.

jgphillips3

Quote from: woodhog14 on January 06, 2017, 04:41:34 pm
No...10 GAMES IN A ROW. Count with me:

9/2  Florida A&M
9/9  TCU
9/16  BYE WEEK
9/23  Texas A&M - 1
9/30  New Mexico St. - 2
10/7  South Carolina - 3
10/14  Bama - 4
10/21  Auburn - 5
10/28  Ole Miss - 6
11/4 Coastal Carolina - 7
11/11  LSU - 8
11/18  State - 9
11/25  Missouri - 10

10 games in a row without a BYE is brutal.

Well, if CBB will trust his backups, the Coastal Carolina could be like a bye if we don't play our starters 90% of the game.  Other than that, yeah, our bye week is messed up being that early.

hoglady

It's not the losses to good team's that is the real problem - it's the losses to the teams we shouldn't lose to and the wins that slip away. It can't happen here and be successful. If Bielema could solve the slow starts, (better this year but still there) and the 2nd half play he could be successful here. If he doesn't he will eventually be fired.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hawgon

On the bright side, since BB usually does well after a bye, maybe we finally beat A&M next year.  Other than that, 10 games in a row is a brutal stretch.

GuvHog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 09, 2017, 08:42:54 am
Well, if CBB will trust his backups, the Coastal Carolina could be like a bye if we don't play our starters 90% of the game.  Other than that, yeah, our bye week is messed up being that early.

The New Mexico State game could be considered somewhat of a bye week too. Bret should have a long talk with whoever did the non conference scheduling. The week of the Coastal Carolina game should have been the bye week and another non-conference game scheduled for that 3rd week.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!