Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tom Murphy's article in today's Demozette

Started by lutherheggs, January 05, 2017, 10:04:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lutherheggs

Not a hatchet job by any means but definitely one that seems to be saying it's do or die next season for Bielema. Starting to see signs of this from the sportswriters at the Demozette. In the past, this has always been a sign that the end is near.

At the end of the article, BB is quoted saying year 5 is the year and that he has been pointing to year 5 all along to show what he has done. He was also quoted touting the GPA, graduation rate, etc stuff since he cannot tout much of anything else regarding his 4 years at the helm. So, he's made his own bed with that quote. We will be able to look back at that quote and say, whiskey-tango-foxtrot if next year is another disappointing season with 12 returning starters.

hawgsalot

I think everyone in college football, including CBB, knows the seat is getting hot next year but don't kid yourself if we get to 8 wins with that schedule it will be an accomplishment and he shouldn't be fired.  6 wins he's gone, 7 wins major staff changes or gone, 8+ wins as much as some don't want to hear it means an extension.

longtimeHogfan

10 'W's in 2017.  Nothing less is acceptable. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

26.2Hog

Here is the direct quote from Tom Murphy's article:

"I've always said year five, that next year's season is kind of the defining moment of what you've been doing and what you're trying to get to," he (Bielema) said.

Remember that quote.

Redhogs

Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Tick Hog

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on January 05, 2017, 10:22:32 am
I like the way you think and wish we were that type of program. Unfortunately we're not.

Redhogs

Quote from: hawgsalot on January 05, 2017, 10:22:08 am
I think everyone in college football, including CBB, knows the seat is getting hot next year but don't kid yourself if we get to 8 wins with that schedule it will be an accomplishment and he shouldn't be fired.  6 wins he's gone, 7 wins major staff changes or gone, 8+ wins as much as some don't want to hear it means an extension.
If he gets an extension instead of a pink slip with 8 wins, that's the end of Jeff Long.

ricepig

Quote from: Redhogs on January 05, 2017, 10:28:21 am
If he gets an extension instead of a pink slip with 8 wins, that's the end of Jeff Long.

Wrong

GuvHog

January 05, 2017, 10:29:33 am #8 Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 10:41:44 am by GuvHog

Actually next years schedule is more favorable to the Hogs than this years schedule was so 8 wins shouldn't be any problem and wouldn't really be an accomplishment.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogsanity

Or BB could go get some good classes committed for 2 or 3 years down the road, apparently that is good insurance.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Grizzlyfan

You're dreaming.

Redhogs

Razorbackers

hawgon

Quote from: 26.2Hog on January 05, 2017, 10:25:53 am

"I've always said year five, that next year's season is kind of the defining moment of what you've been doing and what you're trying to get to," he (Bielema) said.

Remember that quote.

He really shouldn't have said that.

jgphillips3

The sentiment may be wrong, but does anyone believe that the other PTB that have to back an extension are also going to back a buyout extension?  I could see Jeff floating an extension without buyout extension but if he floats a buyout extension I think he will get shot down and that may ultimately lead to him going elsewhere (of his own accord) depending on how well or poorly that conversation behind closed doors goes. 

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: lutherheggs on January 05, 2017, 10:04:12 am
Not a hatchet job by any means but definitely one that seems to be saying it's do or die next season for Bielema. Starting to see signs of this from the sportswriters at the Demozette. In the past, this has always been a sign that the end is near.

At the end of the article, BB is quoted saying year 5 is the year and that he has been pointing to year 5 all along to show what he has done. He was also quoted touting the GPA, graduation rate, etc stuff since he cannot tout much of anything else regarding his 4 years at the helm. So, he's made his own bed with that quote. We will be able to look back at that quote and say, whiskey-tango-foxtrot if next year is another disappointing season with 12 returning starters.

There was sort of a cautious bit in Wally's article earlier this week.  I can't remember exactly what it said, but it sounded like a trial balloon to me.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: GuvHog on January 05, 2017, 10:29:33 am
Actually next years schedule is more favorable to the Hogs than this years schedule was so 8 wins shouldn't be any problem and wouldn't really be an accomplishment.

With road games at Texas A&M, South Carolina, LSU, Ole Miss, and Bama?  How can I subscribe to your newsletter? 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Atlhogfan1

The 2017 schedule is going to be difficult.  4 games away from home(3 road and A&M thanks to the dumb SW Classic thing) in 6 weeks.  Bama, LSU, SC, OM on the road.  Damn.  SC was young this season but got much better.  Gus may have a qb(heard that before I know). 

Must go 4-0 in non conference.  Cannot lose to TCU.

No embarrassments.  Must be competitive in every game.

No truly sloppy games or second half meltdowns.

Must see improvement in oline and strong signs we are heading to this consistently being our strength.  Otherwise, this won't work.

The defense has to improve and not just slightly.  Must see signs we can get to a competent defense soon.

Do this, max the win total to what it should be considering our team vs the competition and venues and I don't think there has to be a set win total.  I'll add though he does need to show the ceiling is higher than 8 wins very soon. 

I understand why Bielema is making the comments about academics.  It was a big part of this build.  Being able to count on players to be disciplined and stay in the program. 

Other things I hope to see are more team speed and use of it.  Hammonds in wildcat was a good sign. 

Don't want to see any stupid on top of the stadium weightlifting BS in the offseason.  Speed.  Size and strength are great but you have to be able to move too.

Hope that idiot Bo lets the show die.  Don't do it.  Bad optics.  I don't have an issue with it and if it gets our brand out good.  But it gives the detractors ammunition.  Arkansas can't understand it.  "he isn't concentrating on coaching"  Just stop the damn show. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hawgon

The show is stupid anyway.  It doesn't build a brand, it puts people to sleep. 

Kevin

I don't think he ever gets fired from here. if he moves, it will be him making the move.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 05, 2017, 10:46:39 am

Hope that idiot Bo lets the show die.  Don't do it.  Bad optics.  I don't have an issue with it and if it gets our brand out good.  But it gives the detractors ammunition.  Arkansas can't understand it.  "he isn't concentrating on coaching"  Just stop the damn show. 

Harbaugh spends 10x as much time seeking publicity, yet we have people naively assume that "Being Bret Bielema" actually came out of coaching time.
[CENSORED]!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Kevin on January 05, 2017, 10:50:57 am
I don't think he ever gets fired from here. if he moves, it will be him making the move.

Agree.  I lean this way too.  When he realizes he isn't going to break a certain plateau of success he originally thought he could and sustain it. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Gonzo

I don't think an extension off an 8 win season would be very surprising, contract extensions are fairly normal, as I understand it a lot of contracts have built in yearly extensions unless they are specifically voided. I wouldn't have a huge problem with that. My hope would be that it wouldn't include another ridiculous and one-sided buyout such as the one hamstringing  the program at the moment. That move is the most damning one JL has made IMO.

Go Hogs!

ricepig

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 05, 2017, 10:46:34 am
With road games at Texas A&M, South Carolina, LSU, Ole Miss, and Bama?  How can I subscribe to your newsletter? 

We don't go to aTm, but I suspect you know that.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 05, 2017, 10:52:22 am
Harbaugh spends 10x as much time seeking publicity, yet we have people naively assume that "Being Bret Bielema" actually came out of coaching time.

Yep.  Harbaugh is not wrong either.  Calipari did it at stops before Memphis where he had to build a brand.  Harbaugh wanted to make Michigan relevant or at least return it to the news again immediately even if not as a result of on the field.  You have to market something. 

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: ricepig on January 05, 2017, 10:54:08 am

It's not at College Station (for now), but that's not a home game for Arkansas. 

ricepig

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 05, 2017, 10:55:18 am
It's not at College Station (for now), but that's not a home game for Arkansas. 

Correct, it's a neutral site game, have you ever been?

GuvHog

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 05, 2017, 10:46:34 am

The Texas A&M game is in Dallas and the Hogs will be the home team.

There are only 2 games on next year's schedule that I would peg as Hog losses. The rest are winnable.

The Hogs get all 4 non conference games inside the state (3 at DWRRS and 1 at WMS) plus they get Miss. State, Missouri, and Auburn (the Hogs will have this one circled on the calendar) at home and they should beat South Carolina in Columbia too. They are also overdue for a win over A&M.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ricepig on January 05, 2017, 10:54:08 am

Don't get me started on how that is a road game with the exception of fan support.  How's this?  We have 3 SEC home games but some want 10 wins. 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: GuvHog on January 05, 2017, 10:56:42 am

It doesn't matter who's on the scoreboard as the home team. It's in Arlington, and we will have only part of the crowd.
[CENSORED]!

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: ricepig on January 05, 2017, 10:56:26 am
Correct, it's a neutral site game, have you ever been?

Yes.  Big crowd, but it's never going to be the same as a home game.  Think Arkansas would lose 5 in a row if they had this game home and home?  I don't.

Gonzo

Quote from: Kevin on January 05, 2017, 10:50:57 am

He's going to need to show a higher ceiling than he has so far IMO. I hope he does.

Go Hogs!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GuvHog on January 05, 2017, 10:56:42 am

There are only 2 games on next year's schedule that I would peg as Hog losses. The rest are winnable.

The Hogs get all 4 non conference games inside the state (3 at DWRRS and 1 at WMS) plus they get Miss. State, Missouri, and Auburn (the Hogs will have this one circled on the calendar) at home and they should beat South Carolina in Columbia too. They are also overdue for a win over A&M.

Home team 300+ miles from campus.  Make the team travel 300 miles to play a team we would be playing in RRS.  That takes it toll.  Maybe not that week but 2 weeks later travel out to SC and then the next week travel to Tuscaloosa and two weeks later travel to Oxford.  You want our players to be mentally and physically at their peak playing these opponents.  Think they will be?  No team is every week of the season.  Then factor in the travel. 

tusksincolorado

You cutting the checks huh? While you are at it cut me one....
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

GuvHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 05, 2017, 11:00:48 am
Home team 300+ miles from campus.  Make the team travel 300 miles to play a team we would be playing in RRS.  That takes it toll.  Maybe not that week but 2 weeks later travel out to SC and then the next week travel to Tuscaloosa and two weeks later travel to Oxford.  You want our players to be mentally and physically at their peak playing these opponents.  Think they will be?  No team is every week of the season.  Then factor in the travel. 

Excuses, excuses. It's CBB's 5th season at Arkansas, the very one that he's been pointing to as being "THE" year ever since his butt first hit the chair in the Head Coach's office. If the Hogs don't do any better than 4-4 in SEC play this year, he should be terminated.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: GuvHog on January 05, 2017, 11:12:25 am
Excuses, excuses. It's CBB's 5th season at Arkansas, the very one that he's been pointing to as being "THE" year ever since his butt first hit the chair in the Head Coach's office. If the Hogs don't do any better than 4-4 in SEC play this year, he should be terminated.

As always, drawing static W-L standards is overly simplistic. You know hardly anything about the teams on next season's schedule. You don't know enough to decide whether 4-4 is too high or too low of a bar.
[CENSORED]!

bkjbearcat

B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

woodhog14

Good luck with that. Have you looked at our schedule next year?

GuvHog

Quote from: woodhog14 on January 05, 2017, 11:28:00 am

It's more favorable than this year's schedule was.

hawgon

Quote from: 26.2Hog on January 05, 2017, 10:25:53 am

Remember that quote.

I don't recall him always saying year five, but if he wants to say it now, so be it.  No excuses.  In his own words next year will be the "defining moment" of his coaching tenure.

jgphillips3

Quote from: hawgon on January 05, 2017, 11:35:00 am
I don't recall him always saying year five, but if he wants to say it now, so be it.  No excuses.  In his own words next year will be the "defining moment" of his coaching tenure.

That was his quote from the story today.  I think he's calling his shot.  Hopefully for all of us, it works out.

http://m.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/jan/05/wrong-direction-20170105/

The Boar War

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 05, 2017, 10:52:22 am

It's results driven (just like everything else in his career).  If he had won 9 games everything from this to his choice of cereal would have been widely hailed as a genius "move".

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on January 05, 2017, 11:30:57 am

Ok you've made that claim twice, care to explain how having to make trips to SC, LSU, BAMA, and old misses, plus having to play a neutral site game in Arlington is more favorable than this years schedule was?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

woodhog14

Quote from: GuvHog on January 05, 2017, 11:30:57 am

HAHAHAHA! Ok...No it's not. Back to back road games @SC and @Bama along with playing @LSU and @Ole Miss. Having a BYE week on week 3 means playing 10 games in a row including all 8 SEC games without a BYE. Only 3 SEC Home games.

This years road schedule was @TCU, @Auburn, @State and @Mizzou. Tell me how that is a harder road schedule than in 2017. ARE YOU SERIOUS?? I guess Guv is gonna Guv.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 05, 2017, 12:01:49 pm
Ok you've made that claim twice, care to explain how having to make trips to SC, LSU, BAMA, and old misses, plus having to play a neutral site game in Arlington is more favorable than this years schedule was?

Arkansas just beat Florida for the first time and South Carolina is no Florida so trading Florida for SC is very favorable for the Hogs even though it means going to SC. Ole Miss is in shambles and under NCAA investigation so that's a very winnable game. Arkansas is way overdue for a win in Arlington.

BAMA and LSU are the only 2 games on the schedule that I have the Hogs losing

hogcard1964

I agree, no doubt, but you realize that if he wins as low as even 8, he's coming back?

hogcard1964

Quote from: woodhog14 on January 05, 2017, 11:28:00 am

Yes,

He should start out 6-0 at worse 5-1, but we all know he won't.

GuvHog

Quote from: woodhog14 on January 05, 2017, 12:07:11 pm
HAHAHAHA! Ok...No it's not. Back to back road games @SC and @Bama along with playing @LSU and @Ole Miss. Having a BYE week on week 3 means playing 10 games in a row including all 8 SEC games without a BYE. Only 3 SEC Home games.

This years road schedule was @TCU, @Auburn, @State and @Mizzou. Tell me how that is a harder road schedule than in 2017. ARE YOU SERIOUS?? I guess Guv is gonna Guv.

9 games in a row, not 10. That's one more than this last year.

Though the road schedule is a bit more difficult (I don't consider the game @South Carolina to be difficult and Ole Miss is in shambles under an NCAA investigation), the overall schedule is more favorable to the Hogs.

DeltaBoy

It time to fish or cut bait on the Hill. Funny Thing about the TAMU game Bobby P had no issues winning at Jerry World.z
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

buldozer

Quote from: 26.2Hog on Today at 10:25:53 am

Remember that quote.

Quote from: hawgon on January 05, 2017, 10:44:24 am
He really shouldn't have said that.

Yea, that's what big mouth CBB is prolly thinking about now.....