Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For OUR situation give me Bielema any day

Started by Sourpuss, January 03, 2017, 10:24:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Sourpuss

Even over Saban. 

I honestly think it takes a big picture guy like CBB to draw them into NWA.  I think youd see Sabans effectiveness mitigated at a school like Arkansas.  Saban has NEVER had to build a program like AR. 

Bielema on the other hand is a marketer.  It takes a seller to sell an up and comer like Arkansas.  Bielema understands what many of us don't. "You'll ALWAYS catch more flies with honey."  Saban doesnt have any honey on campus. Nothing but bitter sewer water from the minute you step aboard. 

My point is, before im sent to hell by most of this board, is when you arent winning, you need a coach like Good Time Charlie.  He listens to Reggae. Wears sandals. He has a pack of loveable yorkies.  What he offers many of these kids is the one thing Saban cant. Or wont. Family.  A place they belong. 

Do you think Saban EVER stopped to have a beer with the fans after a game and say thx?  Yeah, me niether. 

It will take a guy like CBB to get it done here. 

What most wont do is acknowledge that with Kirkland alone we win two more games by being able to run the ball. 

For some who just want a big name this wont make sense. Fair enough. Im a true fan, behind our coach. Go HOGS!

Pork Twain

I like your spunk, but I would take Saban over any coach.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Torqued pork

Sourpuss

Most would Twain. Saban works in fertile recruiting ground like LA or Bama. Not here. Hed be teets up here because he can't sell it.  Id never say hes not a good coach, thats crazy. He just wouldnt work where you have to sell your program.  Not enough personality.

Gonzo

Quote from: Sourpuss on January 03, 2017, 10:24:39 am
Even over Saban. 

Saban has NEVER had to build a program like AR. 

Please refresh our memories regarding BB's program building experience?

Go Hogs!

NuttinItUp

jackflash

Saban is a good coach but his success as come at LSU and ALABAMA. Not sure How he would do at ARKANSAS.

snoot hoggy hog

Great point. Has there ever been a coach who has marketed Arkansas as well as CBB? Not an easy job. Could be the reason we were bare bones in recruiting when Petrino left. No personality.  CBB is a good fit. He just needs to fix the defense and o line.

Pig in the Pokey

you lost me at 'even over saban.'

actually, you lost me at Sourpuss.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

hawgon

This whole thread has to be an elaborate troll job, right?

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Sourpuss on January 03, 2017, 10:32:38 am
Most would Twain. Saban works in fertile recruiting ground like LA or Bama. Not here. Hed be teets up here because he can't sell it.  Id never say hes not a good coach, thats crazy. He just wouldnt work where you have to sell your program.  Not enough personality.

I'm certain that Saban could easily recruit on the level of Beliema.  He'd be a vastly better coach too.

BTW, Beliema has never built a program either.  This is his first gig.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Gonzo

Quote from: jackflash on January 03, 2017, 10:41:04 am
Saban is a good coach but his success as come at LSU and ALABAMA. Not sure How he would do at ARKANSAS.

Saban is a great coach. You don't win multiple NCs, at different schools, without being one. That being said, I don't think he would replicate that level of success at Arkansas. Would the Saban of today, with the skins on the wall and the cachet that goes along with it, be more successful than BB has been? I think so. Would the Saban that came from MSU, who would have to build his own program and identity? Perhaps, but that's much more debatable.

Go Hogs!

The_Iceman

Would Nick Saban be "Nick Saban" if he would have gone to Arkansas in 2000 instead of LSU?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 03, 2017, 10:49:32 am
Would Nick Saban be "Nick Saban" if he would have gone to Arkansas in 2000 instead of LSU?
of course. but he wouldnt still be here. is it better to have loved and lost than never loved at all? idk, ask LSU. Imagine if Nutt had started winning title after title and shutting us out every other year. How would we handle that?
@Slackaveli

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

SemperFi

I like CBB myself and feel very strongly that he is still the right man for the job. He needs to address some staff issues and get the OL and DL playing like they did in 2015, but the man definitely has a plan and has been executing said plan since the day that he arrived.

I have a hard time believing that Saban couldn't step foot on campus and within 1 to 2 years have the Hogs in Atlanta. His name alone would draw recruits to Arkansas and you know that we'd have a top notched staff to boot. Long term, though, I think that he would struggle because he would need to pour more energy into recruiting the same level of players that he does at Alabama and that has more to do with geography than it does with the actual name on the door. Alabama doesn't need to recruit Nationally because they are within hours of some of the best talent in the Nation, whereas Arkansas must hit the road to pull recruits from Texas, Mississippi and Florida. Plus, his personality is such that in time he would piss off most of the Arkansas HS Coaches once the newness wore off.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

snoot hoggy hog

Bigger question is could Saban win at Arkansas by using former players on scout team? 

"Reggie Fish?  Its Coach Saban. If your not doing anything, can you suit up and returns some punts on scout team for us?"

Yeah, that would work.

hawgon

There are LOTS of issues that need addressing.  Unlikely we ever receive another invite to the Belk Bowl.

Calling All Hogs

I guess Bielema can now market to recruits immediate playing time available in the second half of games?

007 License To Squeal

Even over Saban. 

I honestly think it takes a big picture guy like CBB to draw them into NWA.  I think youd see Sabans effectiveness mitigated at a school like Arkansas.  Saban has NEVER had to build a program like AR. 

Bielema on the other hand is a marketer.  It takes a seller to sell an up and comer like Arkansas.  Bielema understands what many of us don't. "You'll ALWAYS catch more flies with honey."  Saban doesnt have any honey on campus. Nothing but bitter sewer water from the minute you step aboard. 

My point is, before im sent to hell by most of this board, is when you arent winning, you need a coach like Good Time Charlie.  He listens to Reggae. Wears sandals. He has a pack of loveable yorkies.  What he offers many of these kids is the one thing Saban cant. Or wont. Family.  A place they belong. 

Do you think Saban EVER stopped to have a beer with the fans after a game and say thx?  Yeah, me niether. 

What most wont do is acknowledge that with Kirkland alone we win two more games by being able to run the ball. 

For some who just want a big name this wont make sense. Fair enough. Im a true fan, behind our coach. Go HOGS!

Have you tried standup comedy?
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

ShadowTheHedgehog

Can we at least get Saban as an assistant?

26.2Hog

I am just now realizing how fortunate we are.  Just think, our program would be in the toilet if Long had somehow hired Saban instead of Bielema.  Whew, glad we dodged that bullet.

HoggieStyle

Quote from: Sourpuss on January 03, 2017, 10:32:38 am

Saban has won multiple national championships at two different universities. Anybody that thinks he couldn't recruit to NWA is in denial.

...or can you still see the end of the world from Fayetteville?

010HogFan

Saban and Bielema don't even belong in the same sentence.

Saban might not be able to win championships here at the same clip, but he would do a lot better than 7-6. Bielema will not achieve any marked success in the SEC until his players are scared to make mistakes for fear of being chewed out. and of course that will never happen.

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: hawgon on January 03, 2017, 11:03:19 am
There are LOTS of issues that need addressing.  Unlikely we ever receive another invite to the Belk Bowl.
I think we helped Belk establish an image as a no nonsense company that doesn't tolerate shoplifting. Why wouldn't they want us back?

majp51

Even over Saban. 

Neither has CBB. Wisconsin was built by Barry Alvarez and CBB basically did as he was told while at Whisky. Even so their fan base was about as fragmented as ours was when he left.

Honestly CBB and HDN are very much the same at least in this regard, they were considered "teacher pet" coaches for their respective first AD's, and were/are not successful after leaving the tutelage of their mentor (Alvarez/Broyles)

Hoggish1

Quote from: SemperFi on January 03, 2017, 11:00:05 am

I have a hard time believing that Saban couldn't step foot on campus and within 1 to 2 years have the Hogs in Atlanta. His name alone would draw recruits to Arkansas and you know that we'd have a top notched staff to boot. Long term, though, I think that he would struggle because he would need to pour more energy into recruiting the same level of players that he does at Alabama and that has more to do with geography than it does with the actual name on the door. Alabama doesn't need to recruit Nationally because they are within hours of some of the best talent in the Nation, whereas Arkansas must hit the road to pull recruits from Texas, Mississippi and Florida. Plus, his personality is such that in time he would piss off most of the Arkansas HS Coaches once the newness wore off.

First of all you have to distinguish if you are talking Saban now, with 5 NCs or Saban coming to Arkansas from MSU.  After you answer that question, I'll weigh in with additional observations...

majp51

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 03, 2017, 11:44:10 am
First of all you have to distinguish if you are talking Saban now, with 5 NCs or Saban coming to Arkansas from MSU.  After you answer that question, I'll weigh in with additional observations...

I don't think it matters much. I mean sure were he to decide now that he was bored and wanted to build a new program from scratch, then sure it would be easier for him now do so. But Michigan State was a far cry from the National power of the 70's when he took over the reigns. MSU's last meaningful season was 4 years removed, and the best George Perles could muster was a 6-6 season his final year, meanwhile that was Saban's worst record at MSU, leaving them at 9-2.

Saban's mindset and work ethic meant he was going to be a success anywhere. He might not have won a NC here simply because the ramp up time would have been a little longer here than at LSU, but had he come here from MSU he would have won a couple of Conference Titles here, then moved on to the NFL before going back to BAMA.

Sed76

Throw out all that recruiting stuff and Saban would still own CBB. Why, he has fire and doesn't mind chewing butt like it's steak when his players or coaches don't perform. Heck, he goes nuclear when things are going right. Bielema has that far off look on his face like he's thinking of hanging out by the pool or jamming at a Justin Moore concert.

ballz2thewall

medical pot, or street?

i'm with you, man, but i'm not feeling the love. i feel like i've been busted for having stripper tittyy glitter on my face.
The rest of the frog.

010HogFan

Quote from: Sed76 on January 03, 2017, 12:39:11 pm
Throw out all that recruiting stuff and Saban would still own CBB. Why, he has fire and doesn't mind chewing butt like it's steak when his players or coaches don't perform. Heck, he goes nuclear when things are going right. Bielema has that far off look on his face like he's thinking of hanging out by the pool or jamming at a Justin Moore concert.

This is my main gripe with Bielema. Him lobbying the refs for a call was good the other night, but be involved on the sideline at all points of the game. You set the tone for the team.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Sed76 on January 03, 2017, 12:39:11 pm

Or fricking LISTENING TO THE CHATTER OF HIS ASSISTANTS ON HIS HEADSET SMFH.
[CENSORED]!

RollHogTide

Even over Saban. 

The hook was so shiny and new that I have to bite. 

Do you believe that CBB and his staff outwork, plan, or have the same level of attention to detail of CNS and his staff?

Do you believe that "family" (which sounds eerily familiar to the Auburn "fambly" stance) is more important than an opportunity to advance to the NFL for the bulk of these players?

Are the players so full of "honey" that they don't respond in the second half, or are the coaches play cards stuck together from the "honey" and therefore they are incapable of making changes during the game with the momentum shifts, or is it possible that CBB is so full of "honey" that he hibernates during the 2nd half and the "1000-yard stare" is what he does before he collapses into a "honey" induced sleep?

KennyForAD

East TN HAWG

Saban will go down as the best college coach ever.  Yes, he had fertile recruiting grounds at MI State, LSU, and BAMA, but that fact is that he could take the Wyoming job and win a NC now.  He has name brand recognition, and can recruit in any living room in America.

Nobody turns Saban down if he wanted to coach your team. 

Sourpuss

A lot of you are taking this completely wrong.  I'm not saying Saban isn't a good coach. He's one of the best.  If I had a son who was a football player I'd much rather him play for Bret than Saban and I think Bret's strengths for Arkansas far outweigh what Saban could bring here.  Saban is a Prussian general and doesn't mind chewing out the media when he is perturbed.  Bret will play grab ass with the media if he needs to and will let them follow him around to buy cowboy boots (how much fun would it be to see Saban by size 7 cowboy boots?).  Bret feeds the players lobsters and steaks after a victory.  I bet Saban doesn't do that.  Bret keeps his cool during the game and that rubs off on his players.  Saban goes off like a bottle rocket when they're ahead by 30. 

No, Saban's tired old act wouldn't work here for my part.  Too much of a hothead and dictator.  Give me Bret and his cool CEO style and flamboyance and kindness to his players, fans, and coaches any day of tricky Nick.

Coaches arent plug and play.  Just because you put him here doesn't mean we'd become Bama.

Marshfieldhog

Looks like Jeff Long has several folks out spreading propaganda today.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on January 03, 2017, 11:04:26 am
I guess Bielema can now market to recruits immediate playing time available in the second half of games?

Currently 10th in recruiting in the SEC.   ;)

uncommon thingies.

010HogFan

Quote from: Sourpuss on January 03, 2017, 02:58:47 pm
A lot of you are taking this completely wrong.  I'm not saying Saban isn't a good coach. He's one of the best.  If I had a son who was a football player I'd much rather him play for Bret than Saban and I think Bret's strengths for Arkansas far outweigh what Saban could bring here.  Saban is a Prussian general and doesn't mind chewing out the media when he is perturbed.  Bret will play grab ass with the media if he needs to and will let them follow him around to buy cowboy boots (how much fun would it be to see Saban by size 7 cowboy boots?).  Bret feeds the players lobsters and steaks after a victory.  I bet Saban doesn't do that.  Bret keeps his cool during the game and that rubs off on his players.  Saban goes off like a bottle rocket when they're ahead by 30. 

No, Saban's tired old act wouldn't work here for my part.  Too much of a hothead and dictator.  Give me Bret and his cool CEO style and flamboyance and kindness to his players, fans, and coaches any day of tricky Nick.

Coaches arent plug and play.  Just because you put him here doesn't mean we'd become Bama.

HF#1

Jeff Long ladies and Gentlemen.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

farmhawg

Even over Saban. 

After the first line, why even read the rest of that.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Youngsta71701

Even over Saban. 

Well why don't he see the big picture that his DC sucks and that to protect a 24 point lead after the half you come out and run the ball not pass the ball three straight times?

Guaranteed that Nick Saban would have come out running the ball instead of passing the ball to start the 2nd half.

And I like Coach B. He just has to step in and let people know every once in a while that look, this is what we're going to do. It just seems to me that he may be too passive sometimes and don't impose his will. Could be wrong though. JMO...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

majp51

Err you might have a point if That brought success. So far Bret has brought nothing unless you compare him solely against JLS' single year. His Mouth has written checks his coaching acumen cannot cash.

I would point out that the last Dictator we had as HC average 10.5 wins in his last two seasons here, including a Cotton Bowl win and a Sugar Bowl Loss.

4 years into the Bielema era and that is a pipe Dream.  Yet you think he is the right man for the job?

EastexHawg

Quote from: Wildhog on January 03, 2017, 10:27:31 am
I'll have what he's having.

Screw playing in another national championship game.  Give me the Yorkies!

porkrindjimmy

Even over Saban. 

SNIFF.........

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on January 03, 2017, 11:11:49 am
I think we helped Belk establish an image as a no nonsense company that doesn't tolerate shoplifting. Why wouldn't they want us back?

I don't think that...ummm...how do I say...nah. nevermind.

PRJ

Sourpuss

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 03, 2017, 03:34:43 pm
Screw playing in another national championship game.  Give me the Yorkies!
I never said that.  I want to play in an NC game too.  I just happen to velieve that it will take a certain kind of coach for that to happen. 

Wherever a coach lands, they are like a chef that has been given a certain set of ingredients to cook with on the food channel.  I dont think that Saban is our chef.

Boys, I don't know how else to say it, it ain't the fiddle, its the fiddler. 

Marketing, tireless marketing. Being Bret Bielema. Steak and lobster.  Catfish Hole. Expert color analysis on ESPN for bowl games. Program visibility.  That is how you play Last Cheaters Waltz at ARKANSAS. 

When I see CBB at a presser with Clay and Bo and Dudley, I am watching an old man on a park bench with a bag of oats, hand feeding deer.  He has them eating out of his hand!!! He has charm. Charisma.  Saban and Bo would be into it the first week. 

There is only a certain kind of coach that CAN win here. Fortunately for us, our man us already on campus.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Sourpuss on January 03, 2017, 04:15:23 pm
I never said that.  I want to play in an NC game too.  I just happen to velieve that it will take a certain kind of coach for that to happen. 

Wherever a coach lands, they are like a chef that has been given a certain set of ingredients to cook with on the food channel.  I dont think that Saban is our chef.

Boys, I don't know how else to say it, it ain't the fiddle, its the fiddler. 

Marketing, tireless marketing. Being Bret Bielema. Steak and lobster.  Catfish Hole. Expert color analysis on ESPN for bowl games. Program visibility.  That is how you play Last Cheaters Waltz at ARKANSAS. 

When I see CBB at a presser with Clay and Bo and Dudley, I am watching an old man on a park bench with a bag of oats, hand feeding deer.  He has them eating out of his hand!!! He has charm. Charisma.  Saban and Bo would be into it the first week. 

There is only a certain kind of coach that CAN win here. Fortunately for us, our man us already on campus.

Now I know you are trolling.  Thank goodness for you, because if you actually believed all you are saying...