Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Apparently, Saban isn't retiring anytime soon

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, March 21, 2018, 06:13:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

March 21, 2018, 06:13:00 am Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 06:27:28 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Here's a CBS article about Saban's comments on retirement and with Steve Spurrier weighing in on the topic.

SEC rivals hope it comes sooner, and Alabama fans hope it endures forever. But to hear Saban and his peers talk, it sounds like there are no signs of slowing down anytime soon.

"That's what everybody keeps saying, that I'm not going to be doing this for much longer, and all the people who say it have no idea what I'm going to do," Saban told ESPN. "I've been involved in some fashion with football and being a part of a football team ever since I can remember. I don't know what it would be like not doing it and don't want to know."

"Nick ain't thinking about retiring, not even close," Spurrier said. "He can go into his 70s easy, and I think he will.

"I told him he won't retire until he loses three games in a season. He told me, 'If I ever lose three games around here again, they might kill me.' I think he was joking, but I'm not sure."

While Saban might or might not fear actual harm in the event of a bad season, he did admit that one certainty to the conclusion of his career is not wanting to hang on too long.

"What I don't want to do is just stay forever, forever and forever and ride the program down where I'm not creating value," Saban told ESPN. "I would never want to do that, and I think I'm a long ways from doing that."

He probably isn't a good candidate to join a broadcast crew. Everytime a mistake was made in the broadcast, he would be chewing people out on air. ;)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/alabama-coach-nick-saban-addresses-retirement-talk-steve-spurrier-weighs-in/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

Good for him.  As long as he is enjoying what he is doing he should do as long as he can.

jgphillips3

It's not close, but it ain't far either.  I could see him staying 3 or 4 more years but after that, especially if he wins another title or two to take the all time lead, I can see him going out on top.

rhames

I bet Saban won't quit mid season like Steve did.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

The NewEra

In order to win an SEC West Championship you're going to have to beat a Saban coached Bama team.  Any plan of waiting till he retires is a flawed plan.  I sure wouldn't want to base my hopes and dreams on Saban retiring any time soon.  The man looks too healthy to plan on that.

jkstock04

He will be gray and old joe paterno style before leaving Alabama as head coach. Anybody else but me disgusted by now of watching the Bama national championship post game celebration what seems like every year? I vow I won't ever watch it again...I've seen that movie too many times.

I laugh every time I read on here how close we are to Saban retiring "this will probably be the year" type stuff....of course in assumption they will plummet as a program once he does depart lol. The guy is 66 yrs old. I won't be surprised if he is still there 10-15 years from now despite what you read people say on Hogville and sec rant.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

rhames

Quote from: The NewEra on March 21, 2018, 07:40:42 am
In order to win an SEC West Championship you're going to have to beat a Saban coached Bama team.  Any plan of waiting till he retires is a flawed plan.  I sure wouldn't want to base my hopes and dreams on Saban retiring any time soon.  The man looks too healthy to plan on that.

I just want to beat A&M. 
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

oldbear

If Saban were contemplating retirement tomorrow, I seriously doubt he would tell about it in an interview. When he retires, if he doesn't die on the sideline, we will hear about it on his terms. Remember when he took the Alabama job, he said like a day or two before that he absolutely wasn't.

PonderinHog

Our best hope is that he overdoses on oatmeal cream pies.

Steef

If I was a betting man, I would bet one more ring...and he's gone.

Until/unless he gets that ring, he will keep going if he's in a wheelchair.

hogcards

I just heard Tua broke his thumb on his throwing hand yesterday afternoon.

Hurts isn't transferring as expected.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Poker_hog

Quote from: oldbear on March 21, 2018, 07:47:12 am
If Saban were contemplating retirement tomorrow, I seriously doubt he would tell about it in an interview. When he retires, if he doesn't die on the sideline, we will hear about it on his terms. Remember when he took the Alabama job, he said like a day or two before that he absolutely wasn't.

Exactly.  If he said he was retiring in 2 years, how do you think recruiting would go.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Al Boarland

Quote from: The NewEra on March 21, 2018, 07:40:42 am

That and there are other teams better suited to climb up and take that spot than we are right now.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: rhames on March 21, 2018, 07:46:14 am

I just want to beat A&M.
I agree that would be a very nice start in the right direction. Take it one step at a time; build the program one play and one game at a time.

Snout team

Quote from: hogcards on March 21, 2018, 08:41:34 am
I just heard Tua broke his thumb on his throwing hand yesterday afternoon.

Hurts isn't transferring as expected.

Who expected Hurts to transfer?  OK, everybody, during the second half of the championship game.   But after the game was over and the next few days of interviews I think it was pretty clear he wasn't going anywhere.

He is a rare young man. 
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: #hammerdown on March 21, 2018, 09:58:14 am
Who expected Hurts to transfer?  OK, everybody, during the second half of the championship game.   But after the game was over and the next few days of interviews I think it was pretty clear he wasn't going anywhere.

He is a rare young man.
Totally agree. Just because he was replaced in the second half of the NCG most certainly doesn't mean that he will never see the field again and/or that Saban and staff have somehow lost faith in the young man. Geez....Nick's most certainly wise enough to look at what Jalen has done for the Tide already and is most definitely NOT going to give that up.

ricepig

He is a rare young man. 

Bama fans like him expected it.

NoogaHog

Quote from: Steef on March 21, 2018, 08:36:59 am

I'm not sure one more would be enough for a man as driven as he is. I think he will think that the night of his next one, but then get up the next morning ready for recruiting and watching film. I think for a man like him, it will always be "just one more."

This is a man who said that he hates the championship games because they get in the way of recruiting.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

hogcards

He is a rare young man.

There's been quite a bit of talk regarding him changing positions or transferring completely.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

bigred223

I just want to beat A&M.

This is what i want more than anything else this coming season.

247Hog

I just want to beat A&M.

I don't like Saban but respect what he has done. I don't like Fisher and definitely don't respect him. We need to start taking the Texas recruits away from A&M. Have to start winning this game.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

hogcards

Quote from: 247Hog on March 21, 2018, 12:44:39 pm

I don't like Saban but respect what he has done. I don't like Fisher and definitely don't respect him. We need to start taking the Texas recruits away from A&M. Have to start winning this game.

We should seldom lose to A & M.  I do think there's now change around the corner.

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

SooieGeneris

Quote from: hogcards on March 21, 2018, 11:20:27 am
There's been quite a bit of talk regarding him changing positions or transferring completely.

I read somewhere that NFL scouts or someone in the NFL told him he would have a much better chance of being drafted if he switched positions. He has the body of a RB or S and his throwing mechanics are not NFL caliber.

He either lacks the ability to read defenses or to make the quick decisions necessary to play QB in the NFL. He is much more Terrelle Pryor than DeShaun Watson..
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

sickboy

LOL. The best quote of that article was the Spurrier quote about the Bama fans killing him. "I think he was joking, but I'm not sure." That's some Mark Twain level Spurrier right there.

Bacons Rebellion

I would just as soon him stay until WE are able to ( at least be in the hunt to ) take advantage of his leaving. We gotta be able to beat A&M and Missouri before  throwing a fit about Alabama.

GoHogs1091

Of course, he won't want to retire while he is still continuing to win at a high-level.

It will mainly take another football program and or Coaches (for instance Swinney/Venables) to make Saban retire.  Really, other than Coaches such as Swinney/Venables making him retire, the only other possible reason would be if health reasons made him retire.

247Hog

Quote from: hogcards on March 21, 2018, 12:57:13 pm
We should seldom lose to A & M.  I do think there's now change around the corner.

I agree and hoping you're right.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Steef on March 21, 2018, 08:36:59 am

I don't know Steef. I kinda think that he has 5 more good years left in him. He has won it 5 times out of the last 9 years at Alabama, so a bit under an average of once every two seasons. If he had 7 under his belt I'd say that his record might be safe forever. But then there is the Alabama qualifier. Bear Bryant had 6 at Alabama, Saban has a total of 6 but only 5 at Alabama. I think he would like to try to outdistance The Bear at Alabama. That requires two more.
Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

Quote from: hogcards on March 21, 2018, 12:57:13 pm

Aren't we trying to get recruits from the state their school is in?

Steef

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 21, 2018, 05:54:38 pm
I don't know Steef. I kinda think that he has 5 more good years left in him. He has won it 5 times out of the last 9 years at Alabama, so a bit under an average of once every two seasons. If he had 7 under his belt I'd say that his record might be safe forever. But then there is the Alabama qualifier. Bear Bryant had 6 at Alabama, Saban has a total of 6 but only 5 at Alabama. I think he would like to try to outdistance The Bear at Alabama. That requires two more.

Plausible.

Pudgepork

I think Saban needs to hire Saban to be a defensive analyst and work 8 hr days and sit in a booth somewhere

Roadhog82

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 21, 2018, 08:26:18 am

This almost made me spit my food out laughing

Tigaman

I personally think that Saban is going to go back to the NFL soon. For someone like him the lack of success there is probably eating at him right now.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Tigaman on March 21, 2018, 08:39:27 pm
I personally think that Saban is going to go back to the NFL soon. For someone like him the lack of success there is probably eating at him right now.

He has more control at Alabama than he would have in the NFL. He likes having control and money isn't everything to Saban. He has more than he can spend for the rest of his life as it is. My guess, and that is all that it is, we will never see Saban in the NFL again.
Go Hogs Go!

systemroot

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 21, 2018, 08:45:01 pm
He has more control at Alabama than he would have in the NFL. He likes having control and money isn't everything to Saban. He has more than he can spend for the rest of his life as it is. My guess, and that is all that it is, we will never see Saban in the NFL again.

Just to add to your point if I may...

There is nothing to gain for Saban to go to the NFL.

DeltaBoy

Saban is not unbeatable  TAMU with the Punk did and Old Miss did 2 years in a row.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Paul

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 21, 2018, 08:26:18 am
. Well he smokes so...

Hog N Bama

I think when he loses the will to dye his hair, he will retire.

fieldturf

Quote from: rhames on March 21, 2018, 07:31:58 am
I bet Saban won't quit mid season like Steve did.

To bad BB didn't quit mid season like Steve did!

j-mann

Saban will go 10 more years   maybe 15   sadly  he shouild win 4 to 5 more rings 
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

orvillesghost

I don't know how much longer he will go but I doubt there will be the great dropoff everyone expects even after he is gone.

Still, I hope he does retire for I don't think we will ever beat  him.

PorkRinds

Even if he was going to retire soon he wouldn't admit it. He knows the effect that would have on his recruiting.

PorkRinds

Quote from: orvillesghost on March 24, 2018, 10:48:56 pm
I don't know how much longer he will go but I doubt there will be the great dropoff everyone expects even after he is gone.

They'll hire Dabo and keep on trucking.

Some things to ponder:::::::::::He will likely quit when he gets an unfavorable ruling from his Doctor or when his wife says its time we had a little fun that includes me or when he gets so old that he cannot produce like he now can.  Ever think that if our new hire turns out as good as some think, we may be tutoring the next HC for BAMA.  Morris hasn't won anything as HC at this level yet but if he does produce, it might align well with BAMA needing a new HC.

Think Morris would say, I wanted that job so bad I would have walked there to get that job.

Al Boarland

Quote from: 12247 on March 25, 2018, 10:54:28 am
Some things to ponder:::::::::::He will likely quit when he gets an unfavorable ruling from his Doctor or when his wife says its time we had a little fun that includes me or when he gets so old that he cannot produce like he now can.  Ever think that if our new hire turns out as good as some think, we may be tutoring the next HC for BAMA.  Morris hasn't won anything as HC at this level yet but if he does produce, it might align well with BAMA needing a new HC.

Witht money paid to coaches now they very rarely jump ship after they have built their program.

Gonzo

Maybe, maybe not, but many thought the very same thing the last time they had one on this level. Coaching matters. It's been proven at every top program.

Go Hogs!

GoHogs1091

Depends on who they hire.  If they hire Swinney and if Swinney brings Venables with him, then there won't be much if any drop-off.  Swinney though could very well not be bringing Venables with him because there is a substantial probability that Venables will replace Swinney at Clemson.

At some point, Swinney may have to prove that he can win at a sustained high-level without Venables.  That some point may be at Alabama.  There is a lot of pressure at Alabama, and Swinney will have to find a way to win there at a level that will suffice the Alabama fanbases' warped expectations.

nchogg

Saban will not go anywhere. The fans will have to run him off. I know so many Bama fans that get tired of winning. Saban will stay as long as he feel he can be a good coach. He will never coach NFL. He will go down as the greatest college football coach. Right now I tell my Bama friends he is the best college football coach. Tell me one college coach that is coaching today that has accomplished what he has. Alabama will be his last coaching job.

Buff

Saban will remain in power as long as he is a suitable host body