Since the LSU loss...

Started by Hogs49ers, April 20, 2017, 11:57:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogs49ers

- We are 6-0
- Scored 60 Runs (avg 10 per game)
- Given up 22 Runs (avg 3.6 per game)
- Avg Margin of Win: 6.4 Runs

I think we are setting up to have a great run to end the season against 5 SEC teams all ranked in the top 50 in RPI.  In SEC play, our batting average, HRs, and runs all rank #1 in SEC play.  We arguably have the best Friday night pitcher in the league, a high level Saturday pitcher, plus a few other pitchers that are really starting to step up to potentially be the Sunday starter (Murphy, Cronin, Kopps). So if we just take care of business, our SOS and RPI will burst up to the top and we will receive a national seed.  As Kevin says, "Just win and the rest will take care of itself."
SCREW Vandy!

elksnort

Since the LSU loss......we have not played any team as good as LSU.

I agree with your post; however, I am anxious to see how well we bat against elite pitching.

How good are Auburn's starters?

311Hog

2 are very good, but one is skipping our series for rest. 

Tonight's game should be a great pitchers duel.

cityhog

I was worried that game 2 meltdown against LSU could have gotten them off the rails. They've shown mental toughness. That Mizz State win was no joke because you KNOW they hate us, as does Tiger High.

I honestly have only 3 concerns with this team.

1. A strong Sunday starter
2. Lack of a lock down closer
3. Defense at 2nd base

All of these concerns are somewhat assuaged though by our consistent offense. We are essentially hitting the same against right and left handed pitching and we are hitting .300 as a team for the first time in a long time. We may still lose a series (or two), but i don't see us being swept by anyone and I do see the possibility of a sweep or two by us (TN? at least).

I'm also encouraged by our ability to play long (Sooieville Sluggars) and and small ball. This is a good team that's benefiting from a favorable schedule (not complaining). I'm really enjoining this season.

cityhog

Quote from: elksnort on April 21, 2017, 11:41:11 am

I agree with your post; however, I am anxious to see how well we bat against elite pitching.

We have smacked around other teams elite pitching. It's been our middle relief and closers that made those outstanding performances against other team's aces either an L (game 2 LSU) or closer than they should have been.

Drewhog

We were the better team in the LSU series, we just couldn't close on Saturday.  We crushed their top two pitchers, who are still two of the top arms in the league.  The Sunday game was an anomaly, and many will agree that the ump's strike zone was very lopsided.  Hitting Lange and Poche like we did says to me that we can hit anyone in the SEC.  Auburn not having Mize on the mound this weekend could mean the difference between a series win and a series loss.

code red

I agree.  How good is Auburn....well we are about to find out.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Wardhog85

We've knocked around elite pitcher all year. Lange,  Poche, the ace for MSU,Bryant, and Rhode Island, Missouri ace, I think Bamas Friday night starter had an era in the 2s. We might have an off game every now and then, everybody does, but we are an elite offensive team.

jbell96

Quote from: Wardhog85 on April 21, 2017, 01:14:10 pm
We've knocked around elite pitcher all year. Lange,  Poche, the ace for MSU,Bryant, and Rhode Island, Missouri ace, I think Bamas Friday night starter had an era in the 2s. We might have an off game every now and then, everybody does, but we are an elite offensive team.

We did not knock around the ace for MSU, we only had 4 hits, he threw a CG and struck out 13. Blaine was just better than him.

BroyledNutts

Keegan Thompson, who will pitch in place of Mize, has not had a mound appearance for more than a week, after dealing with arm fatigue himself. Let's hope that translates to a rusty performance and the Hogs scoring early.

CJ HOG

D1 Weekend Spotlight on Hogs following the LSU series and how DVH addressed the team afterwards.

https://d1baseball.com/weekend-spotlight/getting-high-hogs/