Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Baseball resume and RPI

Started by SPAL, February 21, 2017, 04:05:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

Still has us hosting, with a trip to Louisville for the Super Regional, if form holds.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/baseball/bracketology

fademe

jry04

Quote from: fademe on April 25, 2017, 01:48:03 pm
Here's a projection from Warren Nolan.

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2017/projection
LSU's regional would be fun with Houston and Texas there.

I would love Arkansas' regional. Baylor would be tough, but wouldn't scare me.

fademe

Quote from: jry04 on April 25, 2017, 01:51:50 pm
LSU's regional would be fun with Houston and Texas there.

I would love Arkansas' regional. Baylor would be tough, but wouldn't scare me.

And I think TCU is a pretty solid Super match up for Arkansas as well.

DiamondHogFan

What do we need to do to hang around the top ten after Ole Miss?  Avoid a loss tonight and win 2 of 3 against Ole Miss?

jry04

Quote from: fademe on April 25, 2017, 01:52:57 pm
And I think TCU is a pretty solid Super match up for Arkansas as well.
Yeah, TCU would definitely scare me. TCU's regional wouldn't be a cake walk either. MSU has a few future pros, and A&M and Oral Roberts are hot baseball teams.

In my opinion, Arizona or WVU would have the least desirable regional in these projections.

jry04

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on April 25, 2017, 02:01:27 pm
What do we need to do to hang around the top ten after Ole Miss?  Avoid a loss tonight and win 2 of 3 against Ole Miss?
Yes, and hope our former opponents win. We will probably stay the same with a home win over Ole Miss. Beating a barely top 100 Kansas State at a neutral site will probably benefit our RPI more than beating Ole Miss at home will. I am not so sure we get all 3 games in this weekend, so winning the first one is crucial.

TNhawgfan

According to Warren Nolan, Florida would be a super regional host? Jeez louise
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

jry04

Quote from: TNhawgfan on April 25, 2017, 03:05:20 pm
According to Warren Nolan, Florida would be a super regional host? Jeez louise
D1 and Baseball America both had them as a national seed last week, too. They won their series with South Carolina this weekend, so I expect them to have them as a national seed again this week. Their high RPI and SOS gives them a little more margin for error.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: jry04 on April 25, 2017, 03:12:38 pm
Their high RPI and SOS gives them a little more margin for error.
Well it's a good thing their RPI didn't take a hit against stetson
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Hogs49ers

Lol Auburn dropped 5 spots in the RPI tonight...I think they have actually moved down and we have moved up compared to where we both were before they beat us this weekend...LoveLEE

Also, has there been a team as dominate as Oregon St. has in a long time?
SCREW Vandy!

SPAL

RPI didn't change, SOS -1, Memphis came off the 101-150 wins into the 51-100.

Wisco Pig

SPAL, the Hogs and TCU switched places on Warren Nolan about 10 seconds after your post.   TCU lost at home tonight vs. Stephen F. Austin.   For the time being, Arkansas is #11 in the RPI.

CJ HOG

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on April 25, 2017, 10:09:09 pm
RPI didn't change, SOS -1, Memphis came off the 101-150 wins into the 51-100.
You think UGA jumps that fence with 1 win over Fla. this weekend or is a series win needed iyo?

Hogs49ers

Wake Forest (1 spot ahead) is 3-7 against the top 50, kind of annoying they are ahead of us, but it appears that our 7 games against teams 200+ is what is holding us back.

However, as long as we just keep winning we will end up really high with a much increased SOS over the next 4 series.
SCREW Vandy!

SPAL

Thanks for that....Updated the original

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Hogs49ers on April 25, 2017, 10:04:26 pm
Lol Auburn dropped 5 spots in the RPI tonight...I think they have actually moved down and we have moved up compared to where we both were before they beat us this weekend...LoveLEE

Also, has there been a team as dominate as Oregon St. has in a long time?

Wins and losses they're killing it for sure - but looking closer at their schedule, they haven't played too many quality teams - Arizona being the exception, and they did sweep ... I have a feeling this will be one of those National seeds that gets beaten in the Supers by a hardened veteran team that has faced some tough teams during the year.

CJ HOG

Quote from: Wisco Pig on April 25, 2017, 10:12:58 pm
SPAL, the Hogs and TCU switched places on Warren Nolan about 10 seconds after your post.   TCU lost at home tonight vs. Stephen F. Austin.   For the time being, Arkansas is #11 in the RPI.
May bounce around a bit depending on the LSU game being calculated, common opp. of TCU & us.

Edit: LSU dropped 4 spots and TCU/ARK stayed 11/12.

Kevin

Lsu lost to Tulane.  The cure is coming they play bama this weekend
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Wisco Pig

Quote from: CJ HOG on April 25, 2017, 10:18:49 pm
May bounce around a bit depending on the LSU game being calculated, common opp. of TCU & us.

Edit: LSU dropped 4 spots and TCU/ARK stayed 11/12.

Good call.  Arkansas was 11th for about 5 minutes.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: Kevin on April 25, 2017, 10:23:05 pm
Lsu lost to Tulane.  The cure is coming they play bama this weekend

Hell I do not think BAMA is the cure though, they could sweep BAMA and potentially move back in the RPI.
SCREW Vandy!

SPAL

Quote from: CJ HOG on April 25, 2017, 10:15:24 pm
You think UGA jumps that fence with 1 win over Fla. this weekend or is a series win needed iyo?

It would take a series . They might bounce up for a day, but would drop out with losses

Hogs49ers

We need Rhode Island (5 spots) and Misery (10 spots) to jump up in the top 50 and need Miami OH to jump up 10 spots to break into the 100s (which would erase 3 from the 200+ column)

I love that our final 12 games are all against teams in the top 50 RPI, so if we do well, we could really finish extremely high.
SCREW Vandy!

jbell96

Quote from: Hogs49ers on April 25, 2017, 10:25:45 pm
Hell I do not think BAMA is the cure though, they could sweep BAMA and potentially move back in the RPI.

Only way I see their RPI dropping is if they win 2 out of 3.

jbell96

April 26, 2017, 08:26:47 am #174 Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 10:10:53 am by jbell96
Quote from: Hogs49ers on April 25, 2017, 10:34:52 pm
We need Rhode Island (5 spots) and Misery (10 spots) to jump up in the top 50 and need Miami OH to jump up 10 spots to break into the 100s (which would erase 3 from the 200+ column)

I love that our final 12 games are all against teams in the top 50 RPI, so if we do well, we could really finish extremely high.

Rhode Island will most likely not make it back in the top 50. Here is their remaining schedule

UCONN
Fordham x 3
Maine x 2
UMASS x 3
George Mason x3
@ UCONN
vs Bryant x2

11 of 15 games against teams with an RPI of 190 or higher, all at home. They lose just 2 or 3 of those and it will cancel out any good 2 potential wins against UCONN would do.

jry04

Warren Nolan projects our RPI to finish at 17th as of today.

razCzar

Especially like Nolan's Predictions...

SEC Current & Predicted RPI
KY     4   4
FL     9   9
LS   14   14
AR   12   16
MS   16   17
SC   21   19
VU   20   21
AU   27   33
TN   48   46
OM   44   49

AM   46   57
MO   60   72
GA   108   118
AL   191   208

Something else: noticed the Current RPI top10 teams are the SAME ones as the Predicted final top10 - making this group very hard to penetrate:
  Oregon State
  Clemson
  North Carolina
  Kentucky
  Texas Tech
  Louisville
  West Virginia
  Arizona
  Florida
  Wake Forest

bighog2255

UK (#6) and Florida (#7) as national seeds

MSU (#9), ARKANSAS (#12), and Auburn (#13) as hosts. (Arkansas paired with 5 seed Louisville).

LSU, A&M, Vandy, SC as 2 seeds. Ole Miss as a 3 seed. 10 total SEC teams right now.

Thoughts?

https://d1baseball.com/postseason/field-64-projection-april-26/

bighog2255

Hosting a regional would be a great year, and should be the goal now with where we are in the season.

National top 8 seed.....My guess is it will take 20+ SEC wins to have a chance. Win every series and we accomplish that. Probably need to sweep this weekend to get into that picture for next week.

jbell96

Quote from: bighog2255 on April 26, 2017, 01:32:41 pm
UK (#6) and Florida (#7) as national seeds

MSU (#9), ARKANSAS (#12), and Auburn (#13) as hosts. (Arkansas paired with 5 seed Louisville).

LSU, A&M, Vandy, SC as 2 seeds. Ole Miss as a 3 seed. 10 total SEC teams right now.

Thoughts?

That's a winnable regional, ORU would be a tough 4, but being paired with Louisville as a national seed would not be fun, although living 3 1/2 to 4 hours from Louisville, I could drive over for a few games.

Also, an FYI, we're not the 12 seed. Just because we're paired with the 5 doesn't mean we're 12th. I really think they should do it that way, but it will never happen. They like pairing teams with regional/non conference rivals for the supers, don't really see it much in this projection, but most years that is what they like to do.

bighog2255

Quote from: jbell96 on April 26, 2017, 02:05:29 pm
Also, an FYI, we're not the 12 seed. Just because we're paired with the 5 doesn't mean we're 12th. I really think they should do it that way, but it will never happen. They like pairing teams with regional/non conference rivals for the supers, don't really see it much in this projection, but most years that is what they like to do.

I realize the committee doesn't do it that way, but I believe D1 baseball does have us ranked 12th in their seed line. Otherwise, they wouldn't have paired Wake Forest with Oregon State.

dotnet

Quote from: bighog2255 on April 26, 2017, 02:38:34 pm
I realize the committee doesn't do it that way, but I believe D1 baseball does have us ranked 12th in their seed line. Otherwise, they wouldn't have paired Wake Forest with Oregon State.

This doesn't make any sense.  What does WF and OSU have to do with the price of Milk in Alaska?

jry04

Quote from: dotnet on April 26, 2017, 03:07:48 pm
This doesn't make any sense.  What does WF and OSU have to do with the price of Milk in Alaska?
I think he is saying if they did it only based on location then Wake and OSU wouldn't be paired together.

With that being said, D1 baseball has said multiple times they don't rank them that way either, and just try to do it based on geography. If they ranked them, then that means they have us ahead of Arizona and it just so happens Arizona is paired with Lubbock. Someone is likely going to get screwed and have to travel since there will probably be 5 SEC hosts, and all of the east coast hosts will be from the ACC. WVU will be paired with an ACC/SEC host, but after that it is up in the air. They could keep LBSU on the West Coast and pair them with Oregon State, but the problem with that is the committee has this thing about growing the baseball popularity nationwide, and if LBSU is paired with Oregon State, then that guarantees two of the better West Coast teams are eliminated before Omaha. Every year the committee seems to have a different philosophy, so who knows how it will go. Some years they give the west coast undeserving hosts just to make sure there are west coast hosts. Last year, they didn't award a single host site to the west coast despite teams like Arizona or UC Santa Barbara having a case, and actually making it to the CWS.

WizardofhOgZ

D1baseball.com now has updated their bracket and, once again, we're paired with the Louisville Regional.

This would be a good Regional in Fayetteville, with Oral Roberts, OU and Missouri State coming.  A tough one to get out of.

YtownHog

Rhode Island won tonight against UCONN bumping them into top 50 for the night. As of now it didn't help our rpi. I bet TCU and us are just within the slimmest of margins of each other.

WBOBO

Just win baby.  Everything else will take care of itself.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

jbell96

Quote from: YtownHog on April 26, 2017, 11:18:16 pm
Rhode Island won tonight against UCONN bumping them into top 50 for the night. As of now it didn't help our rpi. I bet TCU and us are just within the slimmest of margins of each other.

Unless they win out, Rhode Island won't stay top 50. 11 of their final 14 games against teams with an RPI of 190 or higher and all but one is at home. Lose just 2 or 3 of those games and they'll be out of the top 50.

fademe

Quote from: Hogs49ers on April 25, 2017, 10:25:45 pm

I think Miss St dropped 3 or 4 spots after sweeping Bama this past weekend. What will help LSU some that hurt Miss St is that LSU is on the road. So they probably won't take as bad a bump as State did in their sweep.

jry04

Quote from: fademe on April 27, 2017, 04:04:43 pm
I think Miss St dropped 3 or 4 spots after sweeping Bama this past weekend. What will help LSU some that hurt Miss St is that LSU is on the road. So they probably won't take as bad a bump as State did in their sweep.
MSU's previous opponents losing hurt them the most. The wins themselves against Bama didn't hurt MSU, they stayed the same after each result. Arkansas losing 2 of 3, USC losing 2 of 3, UT losing 2 of 3, Oregon getting swept, Texas Tech losing 2 of 3 all played a big factor in those drops. All of the teams I just named lost at least 2 this weekend to an opponent MSU hasn't played. Literally every opponent MSU played this year lost at least 1 game last week, and almost every weekend series opponent lost their series.

rzrbkman

What teams are currently being projected as Regional hosts by the experts?

SPAL

April 28, 2017, 09:27:00 am #190 Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 10:16:38 am by sir-pigs-a-lot
There is a 4 page thread discussing this with bracketology projections....

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=627682.0

jry04

Quote from: rzrbkman on April 28, 2017, 09:24:58 am
What teams are currently being projected as Regional hosts by the experts?
Lose a game today and we probably won't have to worry about it anymore.

Knot2brite

Finish the season 19-11 in conference and we are on the bubble to host...finish 20-10 and we host...18-12 and we don't...
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

dbhog

Odds getting worse with every inning we play.  This team is falling apart. ???

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hawg1221

Is this bad play an anomaly or a trend? I think it's a trend. Overall, I can't complain about this year. But lately, it's been very disappointing. Our lack of pitching is rearing it's ugly head.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: hawg1221 on April 28, 2017, 01:12:17 pm
Is this bad play an anomaly or a trend? I think it's a trend. Overall, I can't complain about this year. But lately, it's been very disappointing. Our lack of pitching is rearing it's ugly head.
I think it is a trend, offense has been anywhere from average to horrible for 3 weeks, starting pitching is wearing down, bullpen is weak. Starting pitching was performing above my expectations. Now they are struggling and the offense can't pick them up.

jabberjawls

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 28, 2017, 01:44:22 pm
I think it is a trend, offense has been anywhere from average to horrible for 3 weeks, starting pitching is wearing down, bullpen is weak. Starting pitching was performing above my expectations. Now they are struggling and the offense can't pick them up.
Baseball goes in cycles so let's hope we get hot at the right time.  We've done it in the past with teams that we all questioned at times, and have made it to the CWS.

jry04

RPI has fallen to 18 entering game 3. SOS up to 49. Have to win this game 3 to have any shot at hosting going forward.

rljjr

Game 3 was the tonic for going down to Tennessee. We will win the series and hopefully sweep them. We need that at this point, and it's not out of the realm of possibility. Ever the optimist!