Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Norvell is going to do awesome

Started by Tusks, November 03, 2017, 09:12:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: CDBHawg on November 04, 2017, 03:30:34 pm
Who?

There are several other coaches with much stronger program building resumes that AR would b e a great opportunity for. Many have been brought up on this board before. Leach and Campbell are two right off the top of my head that would be better hires to go after.

Matt Burks

Matt Campbell has a 9 mil buyout and no to Leach and the air raid offense. What running back wants to play in that system?

razortrack

Quote from: swineology on November 03, 2017, 09:48:18 pm
Petrino never beat Bama or any other top 10 team in his "error"
But he competed with those teams!

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: MissippHog on November 04, 2017, 02:38:47 pm
Oh, ok, that makes sense.  Go find some established mid-major coach that's been toiling away at some small school and hasn't been able to land a P5 job.  Makes oerfect sense.

No, that would be just as stupid as making a knee jerk decision to hire a coach with one and a half years of head coaching experience because he inherited a winner. The situation Norvell came into at Memphis is nothing like what he'd be coming into here. Not saying he isn't a good head coach just that it is in no way established yet.

We should look for a coach with an established history of success and program building. Doesn't have to be P5 history. I also think we need an offense minded coach who does things a bit differently.

Hawgphish

I hope whoever we hire dont pull a dana altman.

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 04, 2017, 08:02:32 pm
Matt Campbell has a 9 mil buyout and no to Leach and the air raid offense. What running back wants to play in that system?

Who cares about the RB's? The man recruits to his system and he wins.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: CDBHawg on November 04, 2017, 04:43:20 pm
It averages 42.1 points per.

Ours is only 26.

It all depends on a lot of things, not the type of system. Has Memphis played the defenses we've played? Nope.

Pro-style or Spread, Arkansas can win with either when we have the right coach and players.

EastTNHog

Norvell could do special things with Warren and Hammonds....things we have never seen before with this coaching staff.

Hawginj

Quote from: EastTNHog on November 04, 2017, 08:39:37 pm
Norvell could do special things with Warren and Hammonds....things we have never seen before with this coaching staff.
I wholeheartedly agree! Go Hogs!

hoginator

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 03, 2017, 09:25:24 pm

Dear little peon Razorback football fan,

Jeffy thanks you for your valuable suggestion and he will most certainly take your advice under consideration.

In the meantime, Jeffy asks that you continue your support of Razorback Football under the continued leadership of Coach Bert for the 2018 season and for many seasons beyond.

Sincerely,

Jeffy the All-time Greatest AD and Head Coach Hirer Ever's secretary, April May Jones.
This is fundamentally correct...
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

DoctorSusscrofa

How many people will promise $25,000 to the foundation if Norvell is hired and another $25,000 if he wins 9?
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

CDBHawg

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on November 04, 2017, 08:01:04 pm
There are several other coaches with much stronger program building resumes that AR would b e a great opportunity for. Many have been brought up on this board before. Leach and Campbell are two right off the top of my head that would be better hires to go after.

Campbell and Leach are from P5 schools. You said mid major.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on November 04, 2017, 08:33:10 pm
It all depends on a lot of things, not the type of system. Has Memphis played the defenses we've played? Nope.

Pro-style or Spread, Arkansas can win with either when we have the right coach and players.

Norvell is known for prolific offenses.

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: CDBHawg on November 04, 2017, 10:07:44 pm
Campbell and Leach are from P5 schools. You said mid major.

They are at P5s that are generally less regarded than AR is so would be a step up. I agree we aren't going to drag a premier coach from a top P5 school like you hear some dreaming aloud about.

CDBHawg

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on November 05, 2017, 06:21:40 am
They are at P5s that are generally less regarded than AR is so would be a step up. I agree we aren't going to drag a premier coach from a top P5 school like you hear some dreaming aloud about.

You were saying we could do better than Norvell if we went mid major(see below).

I'm asking who?

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on November 04, 2017, 01:50:46 pm
No No No. The Norvell love is Waaaaay premature. The man is in season 2 of his head coaching career and took over a team that was already rebuilt to win. He has no resume otherwise.

This is just another example of being distracted by whomever happens to be flashing in the pan at the moment. If we are promoting from the mid majors we can afford to make sure its someone with the history worthy of the promotion.

CDBHawg

Also, I'll not hide the fact that Norvell is my #1 choice. Our D has a long way to go, but our O has weapons and all the tools in place to put up some points. Norvell excels around prolific QB play. We don't need a rebuild, we need to score more.

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: CDBHawg on November 05, 2017, 07:15:05 am
You were saying we could do better than Norvell if we went mid major(see below).

I'm asking who?

What I'm getting as is "if" (emphasis on if) we are going to elevate someone from the mid majors (i.e, lower divisions) then it needs to be someone who has a good resume for program building. It makes no sense to fire a coach just to promote someone who had no history of program building when thats what we need.

Its a knee jerk desperation move. We'd be better off keeping Bielema for another year and seeing who is available than paying his buyout to get someone else who has no history to show he's any better.

Paul

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on November 05, 2017, 09:10:27 am
What I'm getting as is "if" (emphasis on if) we are going to elevate someone from the mid majors (i.e, lower divisions) then it needs to be someone who has a good resume for program building. It makes no sense to fire a coach just to promote someone who had no history of program building when thats what we need.

Its a knee jerk desperation move. We'd be better off keeping Bielema for another year and seeing who is available than paying his buyout to get someone else who has no history to show he's any better.
we don't have the luxury of waiting another year with B.B.  Commits will decommit, fans will not renew, and the program will suffer more. After watching Norvell coach up & motivate players, especially this year with graduation & injuries on defense, I firmly believe Norvell can rejuvenate our program.

Matt Burks

Due some research on Norvell and you'll see why so many are hoping to see him here. He has experience before Memphis, and by the way, Fuentes changed his offense after days of conversations with Norvell. Graham said Norvell is much more than an offensive coach, in fact he said he's the best assistant he's seen and will be a big time head coach. Norvell is considered a big time recruiter and nearly all of Memphis players this year are his freshmen and sophomore recruits. Did you know Gus, Morris, Dowell Loggains and he met occasionally to share football ideas? You would know this if you research him.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

With what he's shown he can do and some of the kids he's been able to recruit to Memphis of all places, sign me up . If he bombs here I'll eat crow then.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

clutch

Quote from: moses_007 on November 04, 2017, 02:20:46 pm
Absolutely agree.  Norvell isn't SEC ready. 

Pete Carroll for Head Hog?  He's always wanted our job.  He may be getting tired of the Seahawks.......

Hire the oldest coach in the NFL? Who says he's always wanted our job? If that were true, he would have been the coach at Arkansas a long time ago. All he would have had to do was make a phone call and he'd have been hired over Petrino, Smith, and Bret.

clutch

Quote from: EastTNHog on November 04, 2017, 08:39:37 pm

Warren reminds me a lot of Pollard at Memphis. Norvell is also a great special teams coach. Before his arrival, Memphis had gone like 200+ games without returning a KO for a TD. In a year and a half, they have returned 6, would have been 7, but one got called back Friday night.

CDBHawg

And I'm asking who?

Urban Meyer was in the MAC for two years. Then bolted to the MWC for two years. Neither stop was long enough to "build" a program. Malzahn was at stAte for one year. Freeze was at stAte for one year. Taggart was at WKU for three years. Brohm was at WKU for only three years.

Norvell is more than qualified to be the HC here.

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: CDBHawg on November 05, 2017, 02:07:32 pm
And I'm asking who?

Urban Meyer was in the MAC for two years. Then bolted to the MWC for two years. Neither stop was long enough to "build" a program. Malzahn was at stAte for one year. Freeze was at stAte for one year. Taggart was at WKU for three years. Brohm was at WKU for only three years.

Norvell is more than qualified to be the HC here.

Admittedly I'm not sure who. I dont get the big bucks to know that but there are a lot of coaches in college football beyond those that are in the spotlight of the moment. We should do our due dilligence.

CDBHawg

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on November 05, 2017, 02:40:25 pm
Admittedly I'm not sure who. I dont get the big bucks to know that but there are a lot of coaches in college football beyond those that are in the spotlight of the moment. We should do our due dilligence.

I'm sure we will. But when a guy's name is mentioned as a candidate for other SEC jobs, including Florida and Tennessee, it wouldn't be a bad hire for Arkansas. Especially since he runs an offense similar to the one we've seen the most success running.

clutch

Quote from: CDBHawg on November 06, 2017, 10:33:15 am
I'm sure we will. But when a guy's name is mentioned as a candidate for other SEC jobs, including Florida and Tennessee, it wouldn't be a bad hire for Arkansas. Especially since he runs an offense similar to the one we've seen the most success running.

His offense is actually quite a bit different than anything we've ever had at Arkansas.

CDBHawg

Quote from: clutch on November 06, 2017, 10:49:45 am
His offense is actually quite a bit different than anything we've ever had at Arkansas.

It centers around prolific QB play and big plays. Its exactly what we need in my opinion.

Dropkick

We went the safe route and hired an established P5 coach last time and look how that turned out. I would gladly roll the dice on Norvell. Apparently he is a top notch recruiter which is absolutely imperative for our job IMHO.

GuvHog

Quote from: Dropkick on November 06, 2017, 01:16:50 pm
We went the safe route and hired an established P5 coach last time and look how that turned out. I would gladly roll the dice on Norvell. Apparently he is a top notch recruiter which is absolutely imperative for our job IMHO.

Agreed. Norvell would be a great hire. He's actually #2 on my list.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!