Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Total Nonstop Disappointments

Started by hellrazor, March 27, 2006, 11:09:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hellrazor

I see that TNA has acquired Scott Steiner.
So, do you think this is their first major mistake?
I think this may be the first of the big names from the Monday Night War's ... World's Crappiest Wrestlers.

On another note, I was also kinda disappointed with tonight's Raw. Usually, the Raw before Mania is a big hype for the ppv, but not so much, in this case.  I was expecting this year's equivelent to Austin with a beer truck.
raze<br />1 a archaic : ERASE b : to scrape, cut, or shave off<br />2 : to destroy to the ground : DEMOLISH

hellrazor

Quote from: Cooper on March 27, 2006, 11:11:17 pm
I think they're also looking at Goldberg.

I'll call that the second mistake. If they want to compete with the WWE, they can't be making the same mistake WCW made:  Taking WWE's throw-aways.
raze<br />1 a archaic : ERASE b : to scrape, cut, or shave off<br />2 : to destroy to the ground : DEMOLISH

HogInGermany

Who has TNA got? I'm stuck over here where wrestling is limited and tape delayed. WWE is just not cutting it for me anymore. I just don't feel the excitement I used to I just assumed they were weak because they now have no competition.

hydrophonic

Quote from: HogInGermany on March 28, 2006, 03:14:00 am
Who has TNA got?

They have some good talent.  Samoa Joe is TOP NOTCH.  Christian left WWE for TNA and is already the NWA World Heavyweight Champion.  Unlike WWE, I can name at least five teams in their tag division off the top of my head.  The best of that tag division would be America's Most Wanted, The Naturals, Team Canada & The Dudleys.  Jeff Hardy and Sabu both work for TNA but have been absent for some time [ rumor has it that Samoa Joe will face Sabu in the Six Sides of Steel at Lockdown ].  Rhyno is there.  Christopher Daniels, Austin Aries, Jay Lethal, and Roderick Strong are all good.

There are some other guys you probably know that I don't care for and don't want to mention.  Check their roster here.

Quote from: HogInGermany on March 28, 2006, 03:14:00 amI just assumed they were weak because they now have no competition.

Your assumption is partially correct.  They are weak in part because there isn't a competing promotion.  TNA is not YET competition, but they're getting close.  At Saturday Night's Main Event a couple weeks back I noticed some TNA shirts in the crowd.  Somebody had a "TNA is better" sign at RAW last night.  But TNA has one hour of TV every week and their show runs at 10 on Saturday nights.  They are second class in almost every way.

I have some other ideas about why WWE is weak.  See this thread for one example.
Quote from: hellrazor on March 27, 2006, 11:09:51 pm
I see that TNA has acquired Scott Steiner.
So, do you think this is their first major mistake?

I'm a week behind on TNA, but the first chant the iMPACT! zone hit Steiner with was "YOU STILL SUCK! YOU STILL SUCK! YOU STILL SUCK!"

Quote from: hellrazor on March 27, 2006, 11:09:51 pmI think this may be the first of the big names from the Monday Night War's

Does Sting not count?

Quote from: hellrazor on March 27, 2006, 11:09:51 pmOn another note, I was also kinda disappointed with tonight's Raw.

It was alright.  But, in the interest of fairness, I should point out that I was drinking before the show started.  I liked the video packages they ran of Cena and HHH.  I like Flair's promo.  I guess that's about it.

Keep Mabel off my TV.
"The future sucks." "Change it."

hellrazor

March 28, 2006, 01:53:24 pm #4 Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 02:00:50 pm by hellrazor
No, Sting doesn't count as a WWE throw-away. WWE tried and tried to acquire Sting.
Besides, Sting can work a match well.

I'm just afraid that TNA is going to start worring about names more than ability.

Also, I wouldn't have given Christian the title so fast. It kinda weakens the prestige of the NWA title. I would have made him work more and go through more guys to show that it's harder to get the TNA belt.

hoggiefan

I like TNA.  But hellrazor is right, i think they are getting a lot of WWE leftovers. 

spe450

Isn't TNA where the old ones go to die?

hellrazor

March 28, 2006, 02:23:27 pm #7 Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 02:28:16 pm by hellrazor
It used to be.  After the WCW buy-out, I certainly thought so.
But they do have some good young wrestlers.
I'm a big fan of Sonjay Dutt. I also like Chris Daniels.
I'm not sure what I think about Styles. Just when I'm thinking that he's all hype, he either has a great match or totally carries a rookie and gets them over well.
I'm warming up to Monty Brown.
Oh yeah, and Shark Boy is the coolest mofo in the whole show!

When I look at the roster, I see Road Dogg and Konan and others.  Many of them were released from WWE cause they couldn't get find a gimmick for them. I don't TNA has gotten them good gimmicks either. How can they offer an alternative pro-wrestling when all they got are the same people??   I really think it's a mistake for TNA to buy names from the Monday night war. Of course, I don't think it's their idea. I think they are being pressured by Spike TV.

One guy that I don't consider a WWE throw-away is Ron Killings. I really hope they can get him over.

Also..   this whole Team Canada and Jarrett Alliance or whatever is tickin' me off. Now, those are the cheesiest gimmicks of all.

hoggiefan

Quote from: hellrazor on March 28, 2006, 02:23:27 pm
It used to be.  After the WCW buy-out, I certainly thought so.
But they do have some good young wrestlers.
I'm a big fan of Sonjay Dutt. I also like Chris Daniels.
I'm not sure what I think about Styles. Just when I'm thinking that he's all hype, he either has a great match or totally carries a rookie and gets them over well.
I'm warming up to Monty Brown.
Oh yeah, and Shark Boy is the coolest mofo in the whole show!

When I look at the roster, I see Road Dogg and Konan and others.  Many of them were released from WWE cause they couldn't get find a gimmick for them. I don't TNA has gotten them good gimmicks either. How can they offer an alternative pro-wrestling when all they got are the same people??   I really think it's a mistake for TNA to buy names from the Monday night war. Of course, I don't think it's their idea. I think they are being pressured by Spike TV.

One guy that I don't consider a WWE throw-away is Ron Killings. I really hope they can get him over.

Also..   this whole Team Canada and Jarrett Alliance or whatever is tickin' me off. Now, those are the cheesiest gimmicks of all.

I really dislike the whole team canada thing too. 

I like Jeff Hardy on there. 

hogfan064

TNA is actually moving to Thursdays eventually.  I think this will help their product.  The people they are trying to sell their product to are not sitting at home on Saturday night.  Saturday night is for Golden Girls, and ABC family movies, not wrestling.  Spike should give them a 2 hour slot on Thursday.  I think that would really improve the product and probably get better sponsors(more money, better product)

They should mix in big names like Christian with young talent like Samoa Joe. Scott Steiner is a bad worker, but I guess you got to bring in a guy like that when you're trying to get fan interest.

hoggiefan

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 28, 2006, 02:58:56 pm
TNA is actually moving to Thursdays eventually.  I think this will help their product.  The people they are trying to sell their product to are not sitting at home on Saturday night.  Saturday night is for Golden Girls, and ABC family movies, not wrestling.  Spike should give them a 2 hour slot on Thursday.  I think that would really improve the product and probably get better sponsors(more money, better product)

They should mix in big names like Christian with young talent like Samoa Joe. Scott Steiner is a bad worker, but I guess you got to bring in a guy like that when you're trying to get fan interest.

They had planned on bringing it to PRIMETIME, but spike changed it.  It will be on late on Thursdays.

hydrophonic

Quote from: hellrazor on March 28, 2006, 01:53:24 pm
No, Sting doesn't count as a WWE throw-away.

Oh, got ya.  I guess I missed the point you were making.

Quote from: hellrazor on March 28, 2006, 01:53:24 pmAlso, I wouldn't have given Christian the title so fast. It kinda weakens the prestige of the NWA title.

I couldn't agree more.

I also think Ron Killings could be huge.  The iMPACT! zone LOVES that guy.  They always go crazy for him.  That studio show environment is a serious advantage for TNA as far as making guys.  Totally takes it back to the regional days.

There is a big name out there that TNA should try to get...

Chris Jericho.

FWIW I like Team Canada.

TNA needs to STOP trying to be a competitor to WWE's sports entertainment and needs to START trying to be the best PRO WRESTLING on TV.

hogfan064

Quote from: hydrophonic on March 28, 2006, 03:01:46 pm
Quote from: hellrazor on March 28, 2006, 01:53:24 pm
No, Sting doesn't count as a WWE throw-away.

Oh, got ya.  I guess I missed the point you were making.

Quote from: hellrazor on March 28, 2006, 01:53:24 pmAlso, I wouldn't have given Christian the title so fast. It kinda weakens the prestige of the NWA title.

I couldn't agree more.

I also think Ron Killings could be huge.  The iMPACT! zone LOVES that guy.  They always go crazy for him.  That studio show environment is a serious advantage for TNA as far as making guys.  Totally takes it back to the regional days.

There is a big name out there that TNA should try to get...

Chris Jericho.

FWIW I like Team Canada.

TNA needs to STOP trying to be a competitor to WWE's sports entertainment and needs to START trying to be the best PRO WRESTLING on TV.

I dislike the studio feel of the show.  Reminds me too much of the WCW Worldwide tapings at Universal Studios.  Or the old tapings for WCW Saturday Night on TBS

hogfan064

I'd like to see a show more like the mid-late 80s NWA shows.  Wrestling will never be like that again I'm afraid.  Nothing will beat the horsemen, Russians, Rock N Roll Express, Midnight Express, Dusty, and all those guys.  Heck I even enjoyed the short lived UWF

hellrazor

Again, the WWE let their advertising leak information.

Like I said before..     At Mania, The King of Kings goes back on his thrown.

Here is a working script for Raw's Backlash promo...

The transcript is as follows:

Triple H: "At Backlash, The Game begins"

Shawn Michaels: "At Backlash, there is no tomorrow"

Big Show: "At Backlash, you can't run"

Chavo Guerrero: "At Backlash"

Ric Flair: "At Backlash"

Carlito: "At Backlash, the future starts"

Rob Van Dam: "The questions end"

Edge: "At Backlash"

Kane: "I will find you"

Edge: "Destroy you"

Chris Masters: "At Backlash, I'll make you suffer"

Voiceover: "At Backlash"

Shelton Benjamin: "At Backlash"

John Cena: "At Backlash, I'll take what's mine"

CiriusPorker

you should have put..only look if your your a big nerd without a life ;)

hellrazor

True....

Anyways
However, I think Cena wins the title back at Backlash cause, if I read other advertisements correctly,  Cena is booked in a Steel Cage Match against Edge athe end of May.

CiriusPorker

i haven't watched this stuff since i was 12 or so..

back when hulk hogan would do the ear thing as if the fans cheering gave him renewed strength...

Brett Hitman Hog

Quote from: CiriusPorker on March 28, 2006, 10:09:30 pm

back when hulk hogan would do the ear thing as if the fans cheering gave him renewed strength...

Well, somethings never change.. You still look 12 .. and Hogan still does the ear thing!!

CiriusPorker

Quote from: The Hitman on March 28, 2006, 11:02:55 pm

Well, somethings never change.. You still look 12 .. and Hogan still does the ear thing!!

the ear thing is awesome...it would be awesome of mitch did it...er, then again, maybe it wouldn't..

Brett Hitman Hog

Quote from: CiriusPorker on March 28, 2006, 11:05:12 pm

the ear thing is awesome...it would be awesome of mitch did it...er, then again, maybe it wouldn't..
Nah.. I hate Hogan.

hellrazor

You talking about Hogan's son?
I saw a commercial for Hogan Knows Best where he was training. I knew it!|
From the very first episode where he said, "and I like to cause trouble," I knew he was kayfabing the audience.

Hitman, I'm sitting here trying to think of something else to write, but the picture on your sig is freakin' me out too much.

I respect what Hogan has done for the business.
But I've always been a Rowdy Piper mark.   Hogan's only half the story.  The rest of the credit goes to the guys that got him over.

hellrazor

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 28, 2006, 03:07:12 pm
Wrestling will never be like that again I'm afraid.
And thank goodness for that..

Nothing will beat the horsemen, Russians, Rock N Roll Express, Midnight Express, Dusty, and all those guys.  Heck I even enjoyed the short lived UWF

I agree.   I liked the UWF.  I miss those days too.

But I liked the way wrestling has changed. I keep waiting for it to change again. Reach a new level.

hogfan064

Quote from: hellrazor on March 29, 2006, 12:37:31 am
Wrestling will never be like that again I'm afraid.
And thank goodness for that..

Nothing will beat the horsemen, Russians, Rock N Roll Express, Midnight Express, Dusty, and all those guys.  Heck I even enjoyed the short lived UWF

I agree.   I liked the UWF.  I miss those days too.

But I liked the way wrestling has changed. I keep waiting for it to change again. Reach a new level.

Yes, but you got to admit.  THe Bunkhouse Stampede was more interesting than the Battle Royal.   Wrestling now days is to flashy.  I liked it when big ugly guys would get into the ring in boots and jeans and beat the crap out of each other.  Now days its way to unrealistic and predictable.  I mean come on Rey Mysterio winning the Royal Rumble.  If he wins the Smackdown title then that's the biggest joke of a champ since Dave Arquette.  He's fun to watch in the cruiserweight division, but come on.

hogfan064

Quote from: hellrazor on March 29, 2006, 12:30:21 am

You talking about Hogan's son?
I saw a commercial for Hogan Knows Best where he was training. I knew it!|
From the very first episode where he said, "and I like to cause trouble," I knew he was kayfabing the audience.

Hitman, I'm sitting here trying to think of something else to write, but the picture on your sig is freakin' me out too much.

I respect what Hogan has done for the business.
But I've always been a Rowdy Piper mark.   Hogan's only half the story.  The rest of the credit goes to the guys that got him over.

I was never a big Hogan fan.  He's an awful wrestler and every match is the same.  He gets beat up for 5 minutes.  Hulks up, body slams a guy, big boot then big leg.   I was a Randy Savage fan in the late 80s when Hogan was at his prime.  But I was more of a NWA fan and loved Flair.

CharlieHog

HHH winning a title isn't considered a spoiler, but a given.

hogfan064

Quote from: CharlieHog on March 29, 2006, 07:46:21 am
HHH winning a title isn't considered a spoiler, but a given.

When you marry the boss' daughter you tend to get your way.  I like HHH though, but I've alway been one to pull for the heel over the face

hoggiefan

OK, so Triple H is going to win at Mania the WWE title.  Who is going to win the World Heavy Weight Title?

hogfan064

Quote from: hoggiefan on March 29, 2006, 10:05:59 am
OK, so Triple H is going to win at Mania the WWE title.  Who is going to win the World Heavy Weight Title?

If it's Rey Mysterio I will never watch another Smackdown broadcast.  I'm sorry, but a 140 pound man can't win the world title

Macgyver Hawg

Nothing matched watching Saturday morning cartoons and then turning it to UWF Wrestling at 11 am, and then later that eveing watching WTBS at 5:05 pm for NWA Wrestling.

I don't like the TNA ring.

Storylines are the heart of wrestling. Sadly, most of them suck.

hogfan064

Quote from: Macgyver Hawg on March 29, 2006, 11:23:59 am
Nothing matched watching Saturday morning cartoons and then turning it to UWF Wrestling at 11 am, and then later that eveing watching WTBS at 5:05 pm for NWA Wrestling.

I don't like the TNA ring.

Storylines are the heart of wrestling. Sadly, most of them suck.

UWF is an overlooked federation.  Dr. Death, Hot Stuff Eddie Gilbert, Sting, The Steiners, Jim Ross, Missy Hyatt, and many others were part of the UWF.  WCW Saturday Night was Great in its first few years, but it really got bad towards the end.  How about the old Clash of Champions Broadcast

GorillaJMonsoon

CharlieHog

Old timey wrestling was just fatasses in the ring moving slow and bearhugging each other. 95% of it was total garbage.

As for TNA, disappointment is a good word for it. Their good wrestlers get pushed to the backburner for the likes of Jarrett, Abyss, Monty Brown and Sting. bleh.

They have the same crappy 3 minute matches that the WWE has. They have the same lame-boring storylines the WWE has.

It's WWE lite.

The WWE without all the cool production quality.

CharlieHog

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 29, 2006, 10:36:55 am
If it's Rey Mysterio I will never watch another Smackdown broadcast.  I'm sorry, but a 140 pound man can't win the world title

Rey Jr. shouldn't win the title because he can't cut a promo to save his life, and he is one of the most stale wrestlers they have.

Not because he only weighs 140 pounds.

It's wrestling. It's fake. Weight has absolutely nothing to do with it. It's not supposed to be real.

hellrazor

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 29, 2006, 10:36:55 am

Rey is not a heavy weight, and it's the World Heavy Weight Title.   Won't happen.
But I don't know. I have no information on that.  All I know is that all three of them are still booked to be facing each other at house shows up until the end of May.

CharlieHog

Quote from: hellrazor on March 29, 2006, 01:17:38 pm
Rey is not a heavy weight, and it's the World Heavy Weight Title.   Won't happen.
But I don't know. I have no information on that.  All I know is that all three of them are still booked to be facing each other at house shows up until the end of May.

Rey won the Heavyweight Title in WCW, didn't he? And women have won the cruiserweight title. Men have won the women's title.

It's wrestling. There are no rules.

hogfan064

Quote from: CharlieHog on March 29, 2006, 01:24:17 pm
Quote from: hellrazor on March 29, 2006, 01:17:38 pm
Rey is not a heavy weight, and it's the World Heavy Weight Title.   Won't happen.

Rey won the Heavyweight Title in WCW, didn't he? And women have won the cruiserweight title. Men have won the women's title.

It's wrestling. There are no rules.

No he was never WCW heavyweight champ.  If your a wrestling purist(which sadly I am)  then you will have a huge problem with a guy like Rey winning the belt.  The belt should mean something.  I know its fake, but to someone like me it matters.  When I think of great World Champs I think of Harley Race, Ric Flair, Stone Cold, Hogan, Rock, Triple H, HBK, Dusty Rhodes, and Rey isn't in that league.  He's fun to watch, but not a World Champ.

CharlieHog

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 29, 2006, 01:28:19 pm
No he was never WCW heavyweight champ.  If your a wrestling purist(which sadly I am)  then you will have a huge problem with a guy like Rey winning the belt.  The belt should mean something.  I know its fake, but to someone like me it matters.  When I think of great World Champs I think of Harley Race, Ric Flair, Stone Cold, Hogan, Rock, Triple H, HBK, Dusty Rhodes, and Rey isn't in that league.  He's fun to watch, but not a World Champ.

I have more of a problem with a no talent hack like Batista carrying the belt around than with Rey Jr.

But really I don't care because there has never been a more worthless title in the history of wrestling than that one. In fact it doesn't even really exist, b/c the titles were unified.

Macgyver Hawg

Quote from: CharlieHog on March 29, 2006, 01:10:17 pm
Old timey wrestling was just fatasses in the ring moving slow and bearhugging each other. 95% of it was total garbage.

I disagree.  The Gymbacks have better storylines than the WWE.
McMahon has come up with the worst gimmicks of all time and I've watched GLOW.

hogfan064

So who do you guys see as worthy future champs in the WWE who haven't held the belt yet?

Some of mine would be

RVD-Fans love him, unique style.  Needs better mic work

Shelton-Bad gimick with mama, great athlete

Carlito-Good mic skills, very athletic, unique look. Very marketable

Masters-Stiff in ring work.  Big guy, but kind of goofy looking.  Needs better interview skills

Edge-the guy deserves better than a 1 day reign

Any others?

hellrazor

hogfan064

Quote from: hellrazor on March 29, 2006, 02:47:20 pm
Quote from: hogfan064 on March 29, 2006, 01:28:19 pm
  When I think of great World Champs I think ....Triple H.

Triple H is a good world champ.  He's good on the mic, has better than average skills and can create heat.  He's the best heel the company has had in a long time. 

I myself like Kurt Angle, but I think he's hurt by the fact that he was in so many comedy sketches in the past.

CharlieHog

Chris Masters isn't stiff, he just doesn't know how to wrestle. There is a difference.

hogfan064

Quote from: CharlieHog on March 29, 2006, 03:26:59 pm
Chris Masters isn't stiff, he just doesn't know how to wrestle. There is a difference.

Good point

hydrophonic

First of all...  hellrazor where the hell are you?

Anyway.

I got so behind on iMPACT! that I deleted a few shows off the DVR and started over with last weeks show since it was fresh off a PPV and - presumably - starting a new cycle.  Overall I enjoyed it.  They seem to have kicked it up a notch since they moved to Thursdays.

I don't want to have to sit through one of his matches, but I like Scott Steiner's presence on the show.  I laugh HARD every time he gets in Don West's face.  That's good TV.

Chris Sabin v Petey Williams was a nice match.  Not great, but better than most WWE TV matches recently.  Too bad they had to have Nash come out at the end.  Doesn't that guy have some serious heart problems?  I'd be pretty hesitant to book him on a PPV out of fear that he might die in the ring.  Not only that, but he's sucked for over 10 years.  Why do they keep signing these guys?  What's next, Master P?

I keep thinking that they need 2 hours, but I'm afraid if they had it I'd have to see more of the James Gang.

Rooka

Quote from: hydrophonic on May 23, 2006, 06:54:33 pm
I keep thinking that they need 2 hours, but I'm afraid if they had it I'd have to see more of the James Gang.

Yea, I wish they would have 2 hours also, I mean they will never compete with anyone with just a 2 hour show.  As you said though a 2 hour show to be successful it needs MULTIPLE storylines, not just filler matches.(Although X-Division matches might be a small exeception on occaision.)

TorsinAHog

If you want a fresh company check out ring of honor (a indy promotion run by J corenette).  You can find it on google videos.  I quit watching when ECW went off the air several years ago.
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

Rooka

May 23, 2006, 08:55:36 pm #47 Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 08:57:29 pm by Death by Hog
Quote from: TorsinAHog on May 23, 2006, 08:44:16 pm
If you want a fresh company check out ring of honor (a indy promotion run by J corenette).  You can find it on google videos.  I quit watching when ECW went off the air several years ago.

You do know that ECW is returning and that they have a PPV called the ECW One Night Stand. Which is June the 11th by the way.  It is pretty cool to see the old ECW guys like Terry Funk and Tommy Dreamer.