Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does ANYONE else miss the old SWC basketball days?

Started by 40MinutesOfHellFOREVER, March 30, 2017, 09:21:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

40MinutesOfHellFOREVER

factchecker

What would have happened if the SWC and the Big 8 merged?

It would have been a pretty good overall conference in my opinion.  Might have needed to trim a couple teams here and there but good football/basketball/baseball programs overall.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

bvillepig

I miss Barnhill South and all the memories those trips brought.  It was a natural fit for our recruiting efforts also. I understand the move but those were good times.

40MinutesOfHellFOREVER

I am watching a few of the Hogs classic games from the 1990 season, and just seeing the old SWC letters at the top of the key really make me nostalgic, lol.

Birminghog

The ONLY thing I miss is Reunion arena in Dallas, a.k.a. Barnhill South.

Bishop Bullwinkle adequately describes the rest of my answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K7fCQlUhj0

TomasPistola

Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

ShadowHawg

No Friggen way!

It was like playing our current non conference schedule all year long.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Remember that nostalgia glasses make everything seem better than it really was. That being said, the SWC days were before my time so I don't have much to contribute on this one
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

jkstock04

The last time a few years back I was in Barnhill (can't even remember really what for) it really struck me as tiny in there! I vaguely remember a few games in there but I was too young to have a good memory of it.

I bet it would get loud!
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Tejano Jawg

I miss beating Texas. The Eddie/Abe and Nolan/Tom rivalries were wonderful.

And Reunion Arena (because I've lived in the Dallas area since graduating the U of A.) I was 15-2 watching the Hogs there, although some of those wins were NCAA Tourney games.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

J-Five

I don't miss those days...I personally, never liked  Barnhill.  It was too small, and fans are packed on top of you in the stands.  I know I'm different than most, but I prefer a lil more space in an arena when I watch a game.  I got to play in Barnhill as well (Nolan Richardson's bball camp) and it PALES in comparison to Bud Walton arena (dead spots everywhere).  I like new instead of historic...
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

texas tush hog

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on March 31, 2017, 08:02:35 am

And Reunion Arena (because I've lived in the Dallas area since graduating the U of A.) I was 15-2 watching the Hogs there, although some of those wins were NCAA Tourney games.

I miss Barnhill South. Got really good seats that first year and kept them every year. Alot of people were jealous. Missed that when we left.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: texas tush hog on March 31, 2017, 09:53:48 am

I miss Barnhill South. Got really good seats that first year and kept them every year. Alot of people were jealous. Missed that when we left.
Don't really miss the SWC, but yes I miss Barnhill South.
Hog fans today, the youngsters, have no clue how Hog fans used to take over the conference tournament just like Kentucky does today for the SECT.

Here are some blasts from the past for you, see how many of these you remember:
Terry Teagle
Otis Birdsong
Ricky Pierce
Dennis Nutt

40MinutesOfHellFOREVER

Hognitive Dissonance...I dig your username.   :razorback:

FineAsSwine

Quote from: J-Five on March 31, 2017, 09:19:36 am
I don't miss those days...I personally, never liked  Barnhill.  It was too small, and fans are packed on top of you in the stands.  I know I'm different than most, but I prefer a lil more space in an arena when I watch a game.  I got to play in Barnhill as well (Nolan Richardson's bball camp) and it PALES in comparison to Bud Walton arena (dead spots everywhere).  I like new instead of historic...

When it comes to buildings, historic is usually just another word for crappy. Kinda like the Arlington Hotel and Spa in Hot Springs.

But yeah, I miss beating the crap out of Texas every year. Loved it when we beat them three times that one year and the third time being when we beat them in the elite 8 that year and denied them a taste of the final four.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Boog41

The 1991 SWC tourney finals, against Texas, was one of the only sporting events where I literally couldn't find a ticket outside. I had one, but needed another for the wife. I ended up taking an unused ticket, from a previous session, putting it under my one good ticket, and passed them off as a pair. The ticket taker ripped the stubs off both without ever looking at the underneath ticket. Got to see the game after all.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on March 31, 2017, 08:02:35 am

The Eddie/Guy Lewis rivalry was a good one also.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DLUXHOG

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on March 31, 2017, 10:19:36 am
Hog fans today, the youngsters, have no clue how Hog fans used to take over the conference tournament just like Kentucky does today for the SECT.

Terry Teagle
Otis Birdsong
Ricky Pierce
Dennis Nutt

Hog FANS definitely used to take over Dallas back then....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Boog41 on March 31, 2017, 10:36:11 am
The 1991 SWC tourney finals, against Texas, was one of the only sporting events where I literally couldn't find a ticket outside. I had one, but needed another for the wife. I ended up taking an unused ticket, from a previous session, putting it under my one good ticket, and passed them off as a pair. The ticket taker ripped the stubs off both without ever looking at the underneath ticket. Got to see the game after all.

So if you had gotten busted who gets in, you or the wife?
Hogs up! Covid down!

Boog41

texas tush hog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on March 31, 2017, 10:19:36 am

Terry Teagle-Baylor
Otis Birdsong-Houston
Ricky Pierce-Rice
Dennis Nutt-TCU

Yeah, I been around for a while.

Pigasaurus

kind of mixed.  miss playing the Texas teams but hitting the SEC in 92 and b-slapping everyone was great too.  Didn't we go undefeated in conference our first year of sec?
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

hawginbigd1

lynbug

I miss being near the top of the conference standings most years.  Many fans says the SWC didn't compare to the SEC....but, all I know is that we also were in the NCAA tournament more often than not (I think....didn't check old records....just speaking from memory...which is fading fast).

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: 40MinutesOfHellFOREVER on March 31, 2017, 10:31:41 am
Hognitive Dissonance...I dig your username.   :razorback:
Thanks, although there are quite a few creative names here. I've seen fans of other schools comment how they like the user handles here.

Maybe it's just easy to come up with creative names with pigs, pork, swine, hog, bacon, etc

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 31, 2017, 10:32:28 am
When it comes to buildings, historic is usually just another word for crappy. Kinda like the Arlington Hotel and Spa in Hot Springs.

But yeah, I miss beating the crap out of Texas every year. Loved it when we beat them three times that one year and the third time being when we beat them in the elite 8 that year and denied them a taste of the final four.
Yes, I was at that game. It was a cold day, and it was hard driving home through some ice and snow.

But drove to the game on a whim. Found a ticket broker the night before for a $100 seat. It worked out ok, had a good seat lower level about 10 rows up in Reunion.

I remember standing outside in a line and overhearing a conversation between two Texas fans. One of them said he was a little worried about the game, the other said 'Texas always beats Arkansas when it counts'. I didn't say anything, but was thinking 'wrong sport, this isn't football'.

That was the Joey Wright/Lance Blanks team. We got up by 17, Tex made nice comeback, but we won to go to the Final 4.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: pigasaurus on April 01, 2017, 10:28:27 am
kind of mixed.  miss playing the Texas teams but hitting the SEC in 92 and b-slapping everyone was great too.  Didn't we go undefeated in conference our first year of sec?
No, went 14-2 in the SEC in 1992.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: DLUXHOG on March 31, 2017, 12:55:12 pm
Hog FANS definitely used to take over Dallas back then....
Also took over Birmingham in 1992. I was there, we had as many fans as Kentucky did.
The SEC writers still talk about that. Ark comes out to sit in the stands before their game, and there was a loud roar. Nobody in the SEC knew what was happening. They finally figured out it was just the Arkansas fans cheering their guys. Made quite an impression on the SEC. Before then, nobody really showed up except Kentucky.
The Ark contingent gradually dwindled down thru the 90s.

Athog

TheRazorback500

Only the fact that I had a lot more disposable income and a lot less responsibilities back then  ;D

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

gogamer

texas tush hog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on April 01, 2017, 02:11:04 pm
Also took over Birmingham in 1992. I was there, we had as many fans as Kentucky did.
The SEC writers still talk about that. Ark comes out to sit in the stands before their game, and there was a loud roar. Nobody in the SEC knew what was happening. They finally figured out it was just the Arkansas fans cheering their guys. Made quite an impression on the SEC. Before then, nobody really showed up except Kentucky.
The Ark contingent gradually dwindled down thru the 90s.

I remember it well. The refs had to stop the game momentarily, we made such an uproar calling the hogs. All we heard prior to that was wait till Big Blue gets here for about an hour before that. They had never seen anything like 10,000 fans calling the hogs spontaneously when our guys walked in.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 31, 2017, 11:08:53 am
The Eddie/Guy Lewis rivalry was a good one also.

Now that you mention it, I enjoyed going up against all the SWC coaches. A couple other fun guys were Shelby Metcalf and Gerald Myers.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

pigture perfect

I do. It just seemed like we had more natural rivals back then. I like SEC money tho.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: factchecker on March 30, 2017, 09:23:47 pm

It would have been a pretty good overall conference in my opinion.  Might have needed to trim a couple teams here and there but good football/basketball/baseball programs overall.

Surely the Big 8 wouldn't be that stupid.......................oh wait nevermind.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on April 02, 2017, 12:24:11 am
Now that you mention it, I enjoyed going up against all the SWC coaches. A couple other fun guys were Shelby Metcalf and Gerald Myers.

Tysonesque. Myers was hilarious. He always gave a tough guy image ..................... until you heard his voice!

jgphillips3

I am nostalgic for it.  I miss us being the Kentucky of that league.  I don't really miss the SWC though.  The main reason I disregard those who say the SEC screws Arkansas over is because I lived through an era where the league and officials regarded us as the red headed step child for being the only non-Texas team and getting constantly screwed by Texas refs.

HogBreath

Quote from: factchecker on March 30, 2017, 09:23:47 pm

If they ever do merge, I say let's call the new league the Big 12.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

sickboy

Hell, I miss the 1990's. But we're getting back to where we belong.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 02, 2017, 07:47:00 am
Tysonesque. Myers was hilarious. He always gave a tough guy image ..................... until you heard his voice!
Shelby Metcalf stomping on the hog was classic!
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

logic

I certainly don't miss the unfairness of the old SWC. It was Arkansas vs all the Texas colleges and in a vote, of course, we would always lose. I remember up until the mid or late 1960s Arkansas had their own radio stations, including one in Tulsa. The Texas schools initially allowed that because Arkansas didn't bring in much revenue.  However, After it became successful, the Texas schools changed the vote and disallowed it.

I also remember Reunion Arena. After Arkansas fans obtained most of the non-school reserved ticket, the Texas schools changed it forcing Arkansas fans to start all over again. Then after we again got most of tickets, the Texas schools were discussing moving the tournament to Houston.  They held back only because with few Arkansas fans, they feared they would lose ticked sales. Also, about that time Arkansas moved the SEC where the voting with so many states is much more fair.

Furthermore, I certainly don't  miss the bias in favor of the Texas colleges in officiating games. Not that there is  not some bias in favor of Kentucky but certainly it is far less.

Ironhawg

I don't miss being the only non-Texas school in the league which automatically made us the red-headed step-child.  The only thing I really miss are the personalities.  Eddie Sutton, Abe Lemons, Guy Lewis, Shelby Metcalf, Gerald Myers, Nolan.  They might not all have been great coaches, but they were fun to play against. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: sickboy on April 02, 2017, 03:18:58 pm
Hell, I miss the 1990's. But we're getting back to where we belong.
I miss the early 80's.  But I'm old! 

Wild Bill Hog

No way.  SWC referees wrote the book on awful.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: lynbug on April 01, 2017, 12:59:17 pm
I miss being near the top of the conference standings most years.  Many fans says the SWC didn't compare to the SEC....but, all I know is that we also were in the NCAA tournament more often than not (I think....didn't check old records....just speaking from memory...which is fading fast).

In football it didn't compare favorably.............in basketball it did.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: lynbug on April 01, 2017, 12:59:17 pm

20+times in a row for both ncaa and nit...  many more ncaa than nit (maybe 2)........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

RyeHogFan

Soooie21

Hawghiggs

Maybe its time to build a new version of the SWC.