Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does the Univeritry of Arkansas do anything like this?

Started by 12247, July 30, 2017, 10:03:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tulsa World sports page is full of University of Oklahoma's "Champ U BBQ" recruiting event held yesterday on their Campus.  It indicates they brought in around 35 recruits and their families for what sounds more like an old fashion BBQ picnic than anything else.  Already committed recruits were invited and the article indicates they picked up 3 more recruits from the event.

No football tryouts were held.  It was more a meet and greet for recruits who will be available over the next 3 years.  The young men and their parents got to see and get pics with the new HC, look over the Campus, meet other players and prospective players and hopefully just relax and enjoy the moment.

I watch what OU does.  Other than a better football reputation overall, they do not have anything on us as far as location that I would treasure but they certainly do better than us recruiting.  We need to know WHY?

ricepig

Quote from: 12247 on July 30, 2017, 10:03:39 am
The Tulsa World sports page is full of University of Oklahoma's "Champ U BBQ" recruiting event held yesterday on their Campus.  It indicates they brought in around 35 recruits and their families for what sounds more like an old fashion BBQ picnic than anything else.  Already committed recruits were invited and the article indicates they picked up 3 more recruits from the event.

No football tryouts were held.  It was more a meet and greet for recruits who will be available over the next 3 years.  The young men and their parents got to see and get pics with the new HC, look over the Campus, meet other players and prospective players and hopefully just relax and enjoy the moment.

I watch what OU does.  Other than a better football reputation overall, they do not have anything on us as far as location that I would treasure but they certainly do better than us recruiting.  We need to know WHY?

Well, at one time you couldn't provide "meals" on unofficial visits for recruits, much less their "family", I don't know today's rules.

http://theathleticscholarship.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-unofficial-visit-ncaa-rules.html

parallaxpig

Quote from: ricepig on July 30, 2017, 10:21:40 am
Well, at one time you couldn't provide "meals" on unofficial visits for recruits, much less their "family", I don't know today's rules.

http://theathleticscholarship.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-unofficial-visit-ncaa-rules.html

I bet families agreed to pay for their food because unless they just changed the rules, you are correct.........
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Mike_e

During and shortly after the dust bowl families moved in droves to the west coast.  They, like all families tend to do, kept in touch with the people they left behind and sent their kids back if they were able to go to school there.  They also were able to have some influence over some of the better athletes in Cali and so OU became a destination.  This along with Texas players and their normal recruiting base helped to create a powerhouse in the old Big 8 (which really had little else aside from Neb.) which led to national prominence and the snowball kept rolling.

We have been trying some of the same in allowing Texas students to attend without of state tuition ie expanding from a state draw to a regional one.  One of the smarter moves we've made in a while IMHO.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Richard Davenport

Quote from: ricepig on July 30, 2017, 10:21:40 am

Still the same. Recruits and families have to pay for the meals.

HogFoo

they probably did make players that came pay like a small amount to stay under the rules... it was either one of 2 ways this "ChampsU BBQ"   :puke:    happened.. 

1.it was either like  10 cents per plate...

OR

2.  It was $10 a plate with an instant cash rebate of $1000 handed out with each drink.   
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Sportsguy

They are in a suburb of a huge metro area that produces talent. They are 2hrs from DFW.  The state of Oklahoma produces more D1 talent than our state. Then there is that thing tradition.

We are in the top northwest corner of the state. 5 hours from our biggest pipeline. That plays a huge part of it. We don't recruit KC and STL areas like I would like us to do. OU somehow does that. We are close to Tulsa, but it is on OK, so those kids feel the home state thing. I think coach B is finding his groove more here and things will get better imo.

HogFoo

Quote from: Sportsguy on July 31, 2017, 03:59:35 pm
They are in a suburb of a huge metro area that produces talent. They are 2hrs from DFW.  The state of Oklahoma produces more D1 talent than our state. Then there is that thing tradition.

We are in the top northwest corner of the state. 5 hours from our biggest pipeline. That plays a huge part of it. We don't recruit KC and STL areas like I would like us to do. OU somehow does that. We are close to Tulsa, but it is on OK, so those kids feel the home state thing. I think coach B is finding his groove more here and things will get better imo.
OU is a big dog in a little pool.  The big 12/10.    I have arguments with friends of mine who are OU fans quite frequently.    Which, they like to boast about their tradition.. i remind them about it being a tradition filled with cheating. haha  Filled with players who were kicked off other teams and were given ''2nd chances'' .    One man's  Choke a Beech player, is another man or bob stoops star player.  haha..  One man's drinker and smoker and midnight toker, wass another man's;bob stoops star player...   and that's what OU has done lately, and im sure will continue to do.  I'm sure theyll still be taking quite a few players who have problems and are kicked off other teams.  As long as they have talent, i'm sure Riley will welcome them at OU. 

Ou ,and their fans, like to tout their conf. championships. And they have won a lot.  But, it has been in a weak league.    weakest of the power5.   they dont face the same kind of talent that say, the Hogs do week in and week out.  Last year, for example, the SEC produced like 55NFL draft picks.  The big 12 produced like 14 NFL draft picks!  Of those, OU had like 4picks.  which, ironically, over the last 10yrs or so, OU has only had but just a few more players than arkansas has had drafted.  Over the last 2yrs. it's been exactly the same!
Doing it in a weaker league just looks better than it actually is.  Them beating Bama a couple of years ago, and auburn in bowl game this past season, man those OU fans just hang the moon on those victories.  Or the 2 times they played the Vols when they were rebuilding.  They think it means that they are much better than they actually are.  But, really, it's just a bunch of padded stats.  that's all it is. 

Being close to DFW has helped them a lot over the years.  Heck, most of their better players for the most part were all from texas.  they are much closer than the Hogs and it has really helped them.  they are producing more players instate than the hogs are right now too.  but, i dont think that it's mind blowing instate numbers.  OU is mostly just hype.  i'm anxious to see what Riley will do.  I think that OU is about to stumble myself and be on a downtrend.  But, it is the big12/10.  they get better talent than the rest of their conf. does.  so, it is just so much easier to win there.  The addition of Herman at Texas may hurt them in a few years.  Heck, they have played  OU tough, and beat them a couple of years ago, and nearly beat them last season.  I predict that Herman will beat them this season and man how the hot seat will be on Riley in his 1st year.  People will be angry how Stoops basically gave OU no choice but to hire Riley.  Which, that's what he did.  I hate texas, but right now, i hate OU more.  Never liked ole stoopsy.  And, never liked OU fans in general. 

but yeah, i will say that their Hype machine is pretty good.   but their school, their surroundings, their facilities.  their game day atmosphere.   i cant really say that it is better than arkansas.  facilities are no match!  if we were to line up OU vs UA in all aspects.   UA would probably win everything, other than football.  every other program, UA is better than oU .  ok, i'll give OU lady softball.  they've had a little run.  But, pretty much every other venue.  I'd say the hogs were better.  But their Hype machine... gotta give them some credit for that as much as i hate too. 

Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Muskliketusk

OU ain't got nothin but a history of cheating. OKC and Norman are dumps, there stadium is junk compared to anything in the SEC, they ain't won nothing sense 2000, Stoops finally got run outta town for being a cheat and this new guy won't last 5 years. They are a dieing program and it's gonna be funny to watch them fall off the face a this earth. All we gotta do is get more aggressive in Tulsa. We can pull those kids if we want.
Our father who art in Heaven, Razorbacks be thy name. For the games we've won and battles done, on the road as it is at home. Give us this day our weekly win and forgive us our turnovers as we defeat those that play against us. Lead us not into devastation, but deliver us a title. For thine is the program, the pride and the Hogs, Amen.

-prayer I say every gameday.

HogFoo

Quote from: Muskliketusk on August 01, 2017, 10:35:36 pm
OU ain't got nothin but a history of cheating. OKC and Norman are dumps, there stadium is junk compared to anything in the SEC, they ain't won nothing sense 2000, Stoops finally got run outta town for being a cheat and this new guy won't last 5 years. They are a dieing program and it's gonna be funny to watch them fall off the face a this earth. All we gotta do is get more aggressive in Tulsa. We can pull those kids if we want.
this.

Richard Davenport