Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wonder how Tenner is making the numbers work?...

Started by The_Boot_stops_here, January 22, 2015, 08:40:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WooPig90

Weren't we recruiting him at one point too? IIRC

COCHISE

Quote from: WooPig90 on January 22, 2015, 08:42:35 am
Weren't we recruiting him at one point too? IIRC
Yep. This will be one to watch for sure.

TheShow

I've been wondering how the recruiting numbers were gonna work since Butch Jones arrived here in knoxville.  Question is, would you rather be cutting kids loose at this time or keeping your foot on the gas pedal trying to finish the class strong?

colbs

I have always wondered if this will come back to bite Tennessee by taking so many commits. Jones has to burn some bridges by pulling offers and asking current players to look elsewhere. 

wholehog92

My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

onebadrubi

This is just wrong.  He's been committed that long and they  wait till now?  This should affect them on the recruiting trail, but it won't.

The_Iceman

outlawhogeywells

So did he decommit or did Tenner cut him loose?
And based on our numbers do we take another DE/LB?  I say yes

PorkRinds

They're making it work by dropping committed kids from their scholarships.  May work, but may end up biting them in the rear if they get a reputation for it.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 22, 2015, 09:01:15 am
They're making it work by dropping committed kids from their scholarships.  May work, but may end up biting them in the rear if they get a reputation for it.
IMO you are playing with fire to some degree doing this. While I understand the # crunch gets a lot of schools toward the end of the recruiting season, the habit most programs don't want to get into is to be seen as dropping kids at this last minute.

I have a source in Kville that says that UT is currently riding a real wave of "legacies" which have helped fuel the upturn in classes the last several years. Obviously these former players have led many of their own sons to sign up with Tenny. This doesn't last forever and what I think "big orange" needs to be careful of is that they don't burn too many bridges behind them. Then again, if they do I have no problem with any issues they may create for themselves down the road.

Hoggish1

Quote from: colbs on January 22, 2015, 08:48:26 am
I have always wondered if this will come back to bite Tennessee by taking so many commits. Jones has to burn some bridges by pulling offers and asking current players to look elsewhere. 

They really don't care.  "Yall come and we'll dump you if we have to at the end to make the numbers work..." —Butch Jones

online-with-swine

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 22, 2015, 09:01:15 am

Exactly.  High school coaches don't take to kindly to their players getting screwed over.

Hogarusa

It will Certainly be a negative hit to Tennessee but if kids can de commit then I don't see an issue with a school yanking their offer.  I doubt a 4 star player with a 4.0+ GPA will have a difficult time finding another school that wants him.  It's business, nothing personal.  Worked out for the Hogs and Philon
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Pig in the Pokey

We were #2 on this kid when he committed to Tennesee. Rory and Rob are still on him and last night Coach B was in Bartow, Fl, just inland from Gibsonton, Fl near Tampa (East Bay). Could be that other DE we are looking for if we can't get Zuniga or TJ.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

WooPig90

dhizzle

This is why you don't take 30 commits. Coaches have to pull scholarships and then they look like turds.

racinghog

Quote from: online-with-swine on January 22, 2015, 09:21:43 am
Exactly.  High school coaches don't take to kindly to their players getting screwed over.
Exactly, some SEC schools with certain coaches are not allowed on our campus.

Huds_HawgTide

It will start hurting em prob as soon as 2016 class...
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

jb11

He waited this long because he knows most of his opponents are full in this area so the list of teams he can go to is less and a less likelihood of him coming back and biting UT with his play.

It should hurt their reputation. Even though people say kids can decommit, universities should hold themselves to a higher standard than that of an 18 yr old.

redeye

Quote from: Hogarusa on January 22, 2015, 09:26:48 am
It will Certainly be a negative hit to Tennessee but if kids can de commit then I don't see an issue with a school yanking their offer.  I doubt a 4 star player with a 4.0+ GPA will have a difficult time finding another school that wants him.  It's business, nothing personal.  Worked out for the Hogs and Philon

I don't think either is right.  Every situation is different and I'm not saying it's always wrong, but this is the 3rd or 4th time it's happened to Tennessee in the past month and it may still happen more.  I believe they were all asked to leave and Tennessee last offered another player 2 days ago, so they're still recruiting new talent.

Having said that, I'm not sure anyone knows the recruiting game as well as Tennessee, so it's interesting to watch.

ZERO

Tennessee should be well over what they can sign, right? How many more players could possibly get cut by the end of this? Is this guy the only one?

I hope we can swoop in and benefit from this. 24/7 says he's a strong Rutgers lean.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

redswarmrising

would be great if the hogs could get him,with TN being on the schedule this coming season  :)

wholehog92

I would be looking at every player on TN's commit list and checking to see if there's any I want.  I'd contact them and show them the number of commits and this story.  Offer them some security.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Music City Hog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 22, 2015, 09:17:06 am
They really don't care.  "Yall come and we'll dump you if we have to at the end to make the numbers work..." —Butch Jones

I wish we could dump 4 stars at the end because we didn't have room.   They will sign over 25 again.

Danny J

I would love to get these kids that have chips on their shoulders. More guys like Philon. Playing in the same league also.

ricepig

Quote from: Music City Hog on January 22, 2015, 04:01:47 pm

I wish we could dump 4 stars at the end because we didn't have room.   They will sign over 25 again.

Well, he can't do it forever.

redeye

jbcarol

Wes Rucker @wesrucker247  ·  16 hours ago
Underlying theme in #Vols search for OC is easy to spot: Keep the train on the same track. Don't bring in someone who wants to change a lot.

Vols have recruited to specific offensive style for a few years now. Even if they wanted to change, that wouldn't be easy.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

jbcarol

Riley Blevins @Riley_Blevins  ·  13 hours ago
Meanwhile, Ole Miss 5-star OT commit Drew Richmond is currently at Tennessee. It's going to be a very interesting few days for the Rebels.

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  2 hours ago
Tennessee students are chanting "We want Richmond" for official visitor Drew Richmond. #cruitin'

jbcarol

JC Shurburtt @jcshurburtt  ·  16 hours ago

Per #Vols #ClassCalculator (check the link), UT moves to No. 2 (for now) if it flips Drew Richmond http://bit.ly/1tMMilZ  @wesrucker247

Projected Team Score with 29 Commits 280.3

jbcarol

Laszlo Toser @LToser  ·  38 minutes ago

Honored and blessed to announce that I have committed to The University of Tennessee!! Go Vols🍊

2014 Tennessee Titans Mr. Football Kicker of the Year

jbcarol

Ryan Callahan @RyanCallahan247  ·  10 hours ago

#Vols are No. 4 in @247Sports' 2015 team rankings. Adding top-100 OT Drew Richmond would move UT up to No. 2: (FREE) http://bit.ly/1bGslPz

Tennessee  Total: 28; 1 5-star; 14 4-stars...

jbcarol

Patrick Brown @patrickbrownTFP  ·  19 seconds ago

Updated list of Tennessee's signees and their capsules. #Vols have signed 11 this morning. http://bit.ly/1DEVCZF

Plus 10 early enrollees, 7 verbals not yet signed, and any new commits.

jbcarol

Josh Ward @Josh_Ward  ·  33 minutes ago

Butch Jones after Kahlil McKenzie signed with Tennessee: "The things we do for recruiting."

jbcarol

NaturalStateReb

I don't think there are shenanigans going on here, but I do think that Tennessee is pursuing a short-term game, long-term loss strategy here.  Clearly, they think they need the short-term gains, but if they keep at this I think it's going to get harder for them on the recruiting trail.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

jbcarol

Sometimes it's about more than numbers. The numbers will work out. They always do.

@GrantRamey @GrantRamey  ·  4 hours ago

Holy Preston Williams

jbcarol

Ryan Callahan @RyanCallahan247  ·  2 hours ago

Here's an updated look at the #Vols' 2015 signing class, which consists of 29 players: (FREE READ) http://bit.ly/10iCRMq

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: jbcarol on February 04, 2015, 11:58:21 am
Sometimes it's about more than numbers. The numbers will work out. They always do.

Translation:   "We have no friggin idea how we'll get the numbers to work out, but if it means we have to run off some benchwarmers and injured guys, then by golly we will."
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman @BruceFeldmanCFB  ·  30 minutes ago

#Vols coach Butch Jones talks to @FoxSports about the nation's #1 recruit Kahlil McKenzie & more. WATCH: http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/video?vid=393791043777 ...

jbcarol

Patrick Brown @patrickbrownTFP  ·  54 minutes ago

Butch says Tennessee really 'needed to address some issues' on offensive and defensive lines.

Butch: 'With Kahlil McKenzie you have the complete package.'

Butch on McKenzie using Twitter to recruit everybody: 'He's almost too active.' He said this with a giant grin.

Butch on Tennessee signing three quarterbacks: 'Not one quarterback asked me about the other individual or who we were recruiting.'

Butch says he's 'closing in' on an offensive coordinator, hopes to make hire by the end of the week.

Butch added that having just one returning scholarship QB was appealing to guys they were recruiting.

Butch says early enrollees Kyle Phillips (shoulder surgery) and Darrin Kirkland (torn pectoral) will miss spring practice.

Butch says the depth at running back is 'a big concern.' #Vols have just three on scholarship. #signingday

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: jbcarol on February 04, 2015, 02:44:32 pm
Bruce Feldman @BruceFeldmanCFB  ·  30 minutes ago

#Vols coach Butch Jones talks to @FoxSports about the nation's #1 recruit Kahlil McKenzie & more. WATCH: http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/video?vid=393791043777 ...

???  What service had McKenzie rated the nation's #1 recruit?  Rivals had him #6.  ESPN had him #26. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 04, 2015, 04:16:57 pm
???  What service had McKenzie rated the nation's #1 recruit?  Rivals had him #6.  ESPN had him #26. 

Rocky Top Times

NorCalRazorback

can someone please explain (accurately) how Tennessee (and other schools) can sign more than the NCAA allows?  When I played - there was a limit of like 25 or so... And I thought there was a limit now?  Is it 27? 

Also how come we don't sign more than we do every year?
"...and Decori Birmingham has caught it in the back of the end zone to tie it at 20 all with 9 seconds left..." 

Miracle on Markham '02
Arkansas 21 LSU 20

jacobp

Not sure, but every time someone wants to bitch about us not recruiting as well as Tennessee, remind them that 7 and soon to be 8 4* recruits from their 2014 class have already or will be transferring before the season.
Your artificial recruiting ranking doesn't mean dick if you can't keep them over a year

NorCalRazorback

Quote from: jacobp on February 04, 2015, 07:10:58 pm
Not sure, but every time someone wants to bitch about us not recruiting as well as Tennessee, remind them that 7 and soon to be 8 4* recruits from their 2014 class have already or will be transferring before the season.
Your artificial recruiting ranking doesn't mean dick if you can't keep them over a year

I am not bitching.  My logic works like this:  look how friggin great we just did... Imagine if we could sign as many as they do and not get sanctioned by the NCAA.  Those guys out rank us in recruiting only because they sign 84 kids every year!
"...and Decori Birmingham has caught it in the back of the end zone to tie it at 20 all with 9 seconds left..." 

Miracle on Markham '02
Arkansas 21 LSU 20

ricepig

Quote from: jacobp on February 04, 2015, 07:10:58 pm

Yep, just like Bama. Dee Liner is transferring out, was a 4* or 5*, rated as the #4 DT his Sr year.