Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reflecting back and looking foward

Started by jbigs77, March 18, 2018, 09:08:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbigs77

These last 4 or 5 years I started paying attention again to Hog basketball. For the Heath and Pel years, it made me sick to watch them play. So pretty much just quit. Mike came in, got some exciting players, won some games. That caught my attention, so I started watching again. Then started going to games again. For the first time in years basketball was fun to watch, read about and talk about. Last year we were close to making a good run. This year I had high hopes, then they were dashed last Friday.

Mike A is a good man. I have the utmost respect for him. I've met him and Nolan in person more than once and was really impressed with their willingness to talk to a common fan as myself. As to if he stays much longer is at this point in question. But, whether he stays or gets fired, I will say he has made Hog basketball fun again. These past few years has given me some good entertainment and hope that we can return to greatness.

Looking at the Butler game. It starts 21-2. Our shooting put us in a hole early. We made a good run, but in the end our shooting and rebounding was poor, and lead to the loss. Butler was well coached, and there were things they did that exposed some of our weaknesses. They held Barf, Macon and Gaff to very limited production. They knew if they shut those 3 down it would be hard for us to compete with them. They were right.

It appears to me we are in a middle ground. Basketball has had some sucess and is fun to watch again. Mike is a great man, and very few if any would argue that point. But, there are concerns. Recuiting, questionable coaching philsopies, lack of organiazation on offense and what i believe may be a lost passion to coach. Which affects all the other noted concerns.

There are 2 ways this goes. Either Mike makes some changes in style and gets some good players with better bench dept, and we win and make some good NCAA runs. Or we have 2 or 3 down years and he gets fired. It might just be 1 or 2 down years. I hope the latter is not the case, I want him to stay and win and be successful. But the game has changed, it is not what is was 25 years ago. To be successful in anything, you have to adjust and change with the times, or else the times will change you. And thats not a recipe for success.

raz1965

A team full of players will make enough difference that the Razorbacks can take it to the next level, recruiting has picked up an I expect to see a more consistent team on the floor after the glue has set .  I agree Mike fits in the top when class is concerned also.

oldbooniehog

He is not willing or maybe not capable of making changes.

Seven years have proven that.

But keep on wishing for change, okay?

jchill

Mike has done a good job. People keep forgetting the 2015-16 year. That was a hard-luck year, but he was able to recover from that. Mike is on the right path with his recruiting. I was disappointed this year with the number of double-digit losses, but in my opinion, there have been more lopsided losses around the country this year. We have a good coach and a good team to be proud of. WPS! Go Hogs!

synthartist69

Quote from: raz1965 on March 18, 2018, 09:24:51 am
A team full of players will make enough difference that the Razorbacks can take it to the next level, recruiting has picked up an I expect to see a more consistent team on the floor after the glue has set .  I agree Mike fits in the top when class is concerned also.
No, our lack of defense put us in a hole early as it always does. Your defense creates your offense.

jbigs77

Quote from: synthartist69 on March 18, 2018, 11:39:21 pm
  No, our lack of defense put us in a hole early as it always does. Your defense creates your offense.
I have to disagree sir. If you cant put the ball in the basket, you will not win, it was not defense in the first 10 minutes that lost this game.
I am hoping Mike gets at least 2 more years. He got me back into Hog ball. I believe in him and I think he will do it.
Lots of haters on here, what uall don't understand, is that it can get worse. Mike is the best we have had in 20 years. He has done more than any of the others after NR. I think we stay the course, for now at least.

hobhog

Looking forward to 8 more months of this squabbling before tip off. Not sure MA can win back fanbase now....

orvillesghost

If he can't get it done in seven years, he never will.