Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Still think we can make the big dance.

Started by KateHog, January 13, 2018, 06:03:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

KateHog

pigture perfect

Yeah, as an 8-12 seed which makes making to the 2nd round almost impossible.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hoglady

It's more than road woes.
This team is capable of playing very good basketball - they are also capable of not showing up and stinking up the gym.
Depends on how bad they want it.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 13, 2018, 06:05:21 pm
It does?

Knot2brite

Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

golfinpig

You have lost your mind. No friggin way we make the big dance. Lucky to make the NIT.

HiggiePiggy

Well it's like last year.   Make the tournament or find a new coach.  We have the talent to be in the tournament.  We don't get there then find a new coach. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hulk hog

If they keep Gafford involved, improve free throw shooting and learn to play as a team there are a lot of winnable games left.  Macon's three at the end of the game when Gafford had a guard on him could have been a killer.
paid for by the NHO... the NewHogOrder.....

Knot2brite

Games like tonight is why I believe we make the dance...last year they found ways to win these type games and I believe they will again this year...it isn't coaching that is going to bring them wins rather it is just experience

Atlhogfan1

9-9 SEC gets the Hogs in.  Had dinner plans so didn't watch tonight.  Good to see we got a win although only by 2 scoring 65pts at home not exactly inspiring.  Win 2 of next 3 and get back to .500 before Ok St. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 13, 2018, 09:37:26 pm
9-9 SEC gets the Hogs in.  Had dinner plans so didn't watch tonight.  Good to see we got a win although only by 2 scoring 65pts at home not exactly inspiring.  Win 2 of next 3 and get back to .500 before Ok St. 

Where are the other 7 SEC wins going to come from?  I see only 5 more SEC wins.

at Florida   Loss
Ole Miss   Win
at Georgia   Loss
at Texas A&M   Loss
at LSU   Loss
South Carolina   Win
Vanderbilt   Win
at Ole Miss   Loss
Texas A&M   Win
Kentucky   Loss
at Alabama   Win
Auburn   Loss
at Missouri   Loss

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 13, 2018, 07:24:42 pm
Well it's like last year.   Make the tournament or find a new coach.  We have the talent to be in the tournament.  We don't get there then find a new coach.
then why have posters been saying this is a bad roster
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

niels_boar

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 13, 2018, 10:13:51 pm
Where are the other 7 SEC wins going to come from?  I see only 5 more SEC wins.

at Florida   Loss
Ole Miss   Win
at Georgia   Loss
at Texas A&M   Loss
at LSU   Loss
South Carolina   Win
Vanderbilt   Win
at Ole Miss   Loss
Texas A&M   Win
Kentucky   Loss
at Alabama   Win
Auburn   Loss
at Missouri   Loss

If anybody could predict what the SEC standings would look like in March, they could retire in April.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

LR_Matt

Didn't Kentucky make it to the championship game as an 8 seed in 2014? Crack a book, bro.

ShadowHawg

We are in great shape concerning a bid even now.

Seeding, that's a different story.

popcornhog

Quote from: KateHog on January 13, 2018, 06:03:21 pm
Just have got to solve our road woes.

Lol wut?

"Still think?" We we're never out. Jesus people overreact.
WPS

hoghappy

Quote from: LR_Matt on January 13, 2018, 11:33:02 pm
Didn't Kentucky make it to the championship game as an 8 seed in 2014? Crack a book, bro.
so Kentucky did it, then we should too. I see that logic. Read also where He said almost.  Not impossible. But you know we were better than a 9 last year. We catch a # 1 in the Second round. Odds are still on  the #1 to knock us out.

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: golfinpig on January 13, 2018, 07:00:03 pm
You have lost your mind. No friggin way we make the big dance. Lucky to make the NIT.
You need to stay with golfing.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

TexArkHogFan

We still have a lot of basketball to be played, 14 games to be exact,  I don't see how anybody can predict who will win a game.  for example Ole Miss beat Florida tonight, some are saying we lose at Florida and win against Ole Miss.  Each game is different and it may come down to one play at the end determines a game, but that don't necessarily means the better team won.  This year there is so much parity anybody could beat anybody on any given night.  We were still strongly IN the tournament field before tonight's win. The SEC from top to bottom is the strongest I have seen since we joined the SEC
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Kevin

Can we for sure

Will we who the blank knows.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

gmarv54

Seems like we have seen this before,some giving us up for dead about this time last year.

Dominicanhog

We still have a very good chance.. you could trace much of our problems to FT shooting.. we don't lose to MSU,  we are in the  Auburn game if we just shoot the % they did from the line ...and the one yesterday is not close, if we hit a decent %....

In another thread early in the year, I pointed to FT shooting as a potential problem and it's already bit us a couple times...

gmarv54

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 14, 2018, 08:37:09 am
We still have a very good chance.. you could trace much of our problems to FT shooting.. we don't lose to MSU,  we are in the  Auburn game if we just shoot the % they did from the line ...and the one yesterday is not close, if we hit a decent %....

In another thread early in the year, I pointed to FT shooting as a potential problem and it's already bit us a couple times...
I think you are right.Seems like even Macon is struggling with FT.

LumberBacks

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 13, 2018, 07:39:14 pm
Games like tonight is why I believe we won't make the dance...last year they found ways to win these type games but when you blow an 18 point lead at home and need the opponent's best player to foul out to eek out a win, and I believe they will again collapse this year...it isn't is inferior coaching that is going to bring them wins losses rather it is than just experience
FIFY

Hawg Red

So we did the impossible last season?

Knot2brite

Quote from: LumberBacks on January 14, 2018, 11:49:15 am
FIFY
I don't need your damn help in saying what I believe and thank you for not putting words in my mouth. I truly believe that the team pulls it out and goes to the dance and goes about as far as we went last year ...I am no MA fan but he is what he is and he isn't going anywhere...all I hope for is that they go to the dance

Adam Stokes

Remember that one time we started 1-3 in conference and went 12-3 down the stretch? Oh wait that was just last year?

If anything, it is far too early to think we won't make the dance, especially when we will be at least a 7 seed in brackets going into next week. 9-9 will get us in, 8-10 will put us on the bubble. We won 6 conference games on the road last year, we'll pick up a couple this year as well.

GuvHog

Quote from: Adam Stokes on January 14, 2018, 01:25:15 pm
Remember that one time we started 1-3 in conference and went 12-3 down the stretch? Oh wait that was just last year?

If anything, it is far too early to think we won't make the dance, especially when we will be at least a 7 seed in brackets going into next week. 9-9 will get us in, 8-10 will put us on the bubble. We won 6 conference games on the road last year, we'll pick up a couple this year as well.

Arkansas is currently 10-2 in non-conference play with 1 Non-conference game (Okla State) remaining. going 9-9 in conference would give the Hogs 20 wins in regular season play and that isn't likely to be enough to get the Hogs in the Big dance. I believe they would also have to win a couple of games in the SEC Tournament games to get in with that record.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: GuvHog on January 14, 2018, 01:45:32 pm
Arkansas is currently 10-2 in non-conference play with 1 Non-conference game (Okla State) remaining. going 9-9 in conference would give the Hogs 20 wins in regular season play and that isn't likely to be enough to get the Hogs in the Big dance. I believe they would also have to win a couple of games in the SEC Tournament games to get in with that record.

Vandy made it in at 19-15 last year can their metrics were really good, so it's not impossible for us to make it in with 20 wins.

golfinpig

Quote from: tncbg on January 13, 2018, 08:29:29 pm
Sorry, no dance. I thought our senior guards were the strength of the team, but they are not. Beard is playing OK, but Barford and Macon are too selfish. Macon's foolish last shot should have lost us the game, but we got lucky. If they are auditioning for the NBA, they are wasting everyone's season. Mark it down, those two will not play in the NBA...ever. If they have been convinced otherwise, I feel sorry for them. Unfortunately, we have very few options at guard. Jones is a basket case and Hall can't handle the ball. We go as far as our selfish senior guards take us, and that's not too far.
Excellent post and spot on.

1highhog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 13, 2018, 07:24:42 pm

We won't be looking for a new coach unfortunately, I knew when everyone was clamoring for Mike Anderson to be hired we'd be stuck with him until he retired, and guess what, we will be.  I'm very confident that we lose 5 out of 6 of our next games.

thebignasty

Fan opinion has almost tipped sour enough that they'll go out and beat Florida now.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

nwahogfan1

I think we must win at least 10 to get in.  What say you????

pigture perfect

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 14, 2018, 11:53:40 am
So we did the impossible last season?
I meant to say past the 2nd round. And I said almost impossible.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

la20688

OP was probably part of the crowd who had us going to the Final Four after the games in Portland. I don't know why everyone is such a prisoner of the moment. Basketball is all about "runs", during games and the season. It's all about playing your best ball heading into March. This team did that last year, and should do it again this year. I still think this team can be much better than last years team.

Razorod

Quote from: thebignasty on January 14, 2018, 02:36:05 pm
Fan opinion has almost tipped sour enough that they'll go out and beat Florida now.
A lot of truth here.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

GuvHog

Quote from: 1highhog on January 14, 2018, 02:30:43 pm
We won't be looking for a new coach unfortunately, I knew when everyone was clamoring for Mike Anderson to be hired we'd be stuck with him until he retired, and guess what, we will be.  I'm very confident that we lose 5 out of 6 of our next games.

If Jeff Long was still the AD I might agree with you but he isn't. In Circus terms, Mine Anderson's safety net just got cut down.

Hawg Red

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 14, 2018, 03:31:38 pm
I meant to say past the 2nd round. And I said almost impossible.

Crawfishing.....

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

rzrbackramsfan

Adam Stokes

Quote from: GuvHog on January 14, 2018, 01:45:32 pm

Assuming we beat Oklahoma State at home (their RPI would rank 12th in the SEC,) here is how we'd look with various records.

10-8 - 28th
9-9  - 36th
8-10 - 45th

9-9 would likely keep us in the 9 seed area. 8-10 would put us closer to the bubble, but we'd likely have more high quality wins than many of those bubble teams. (Already have 2 Top 15 wins and 6 Top 100.) Losing to Vanderbilt at home is really our only opportunity at a bad loss (sub-100 loss).

hoghappy

January 14, 2018, 09:48:24 pm #41 Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 09:58:46 pm by hoghappy

pigture perfect

Hawg Red

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 14, 2018, 09:58:22 pm
I don't think so.

8-12 seeds advance to the 2nd round and 2nd weekend EVERY year. "Almost impossible" should not be in the vocabulary. You were wrong. It's cut and dry.

Cure

They need a steady hand to run the point.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

GuvHog

Quote from: Adam Stokes on January 14, 2018, 04:59:06 pm
Assuming we beat Oklahoma State at home (their RPI would rank 12th in the SEC,) here is how we'd look with various records.

10-8 - 28th
9-9  - 36th
8-10 - 45th

9-9 would likely keep us in the 9 seed area. 8-10 would put us closer to the bubble, but we'd likely have more high quality wins than many of those bubble teams. (Already have 2 Top 15 wins and 6 Top 100.) Losing to Vanderbilt at home is really our only opportunity at a bad loss (sub-100 loss).

Say what you want but in my opinion if the Hogs finish the regular season with 20 wins and don't get a win in the SEC Tournament, they are NIT bound.