Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Because it''s Arkansas...

Started by oldbooniehog, October 27, 2017, 07:30:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

oldbooniehog

Lots of hype for the Hoop Hogs. Lots of folks excited.

Because this is the Arkansas Razorbacks, and I have repeatedly learned my lesson, here are my real expectations.

Hogs will be mildly disappointing.  Not consistent. Good enough to get hopes up a few times during the season, but not good enough to deliver on those hopes.

Won't be ranked. Will be low seed and early out in NCAA tournament, that is if they make the field of 66 or whatever it is now.

Won't gel together well. There will be maddening, inexplicable losses in what should be sure wins.

There will be a few wins they should not get, but somehow will anyway.

Will not win the SEC title, neither regular season nor conference tournament.

HiggiePiggy

So what is it that makes you think this? 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

jjdlc

HogsonHicks

HawgsPolo

Based off 20 minutes of a scrimmage?? Sounds silly to me
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

jjdlc

Quote from: HawgsPolo on October 27, 2017, 08:07:25 pm
Based off 20 minutes of a scrimmage?? Sounds silly to me

Apparently didn't even take the whole 20.

cityhog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 27, 2017, 07:37:33 pm

maybe the last 21 years? Just a guess

micali

HogNiner12

Quote from: oldbooniehog on October 27, 2017, 07:30:34 pm

Because this is the Arkansas Razorbacks, and I have repeatedly learned my lesson, here are my real expectations.

Hogs will be mildly disappointing.  Not consistent. Good enough to get hopes up a few times during the season, but not good enough to deliver on those hopes.

Won't be ranked. Will be low seed and early out in NCAA tournament, that is if they make the field of 66 or whatever it is now.

Won't gel together well. There will be maddening, inexplicable losses in what should be sure wins.

You're not even sure of how many get in the tournament and you want to give your two crappy cents worth??? Just stop!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HogNiner12 on October 27, 2017, 09:17:47 pm
You're not even sure of how many get in the tournament and you want to give your two crappy cents worth??? Just stop!

Lol!

So true

rzrbackramsfan

010HogFan

You might be right but you're not a psychic or anything for predicting it if it turns out like you say it will. Truth is, nobody should know what to expect.

Big Nasty 34

Give the guy a break. The last few years of football and most of 20 years of basketball can leave you thinking we're cursed lol. It's the life of a hog fan recently.

Pig in the Pokey

wo is me!!! pooooor lil ole arkinsaw!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

PORKULATOR

Well you're a butt ton o'fun to read aren't ya.
Hype? Excitement? We're picked to finish 10th. I don't get you dude.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 27, 2017, 07:37:33 pm
Probably history. Although I don't agree with him.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: PORKULATOR on October 28, 2017, 07:15:23 am
Well you're a butt ton o'fun to read aren't ya.
Hype? Excitement? We're picked to finish 10th. I don't get you dude.
Who has us picked to be 10th?
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on October 28, 2017, 07:23:51 am
Who has us picked to be 10th?
That one guy from Missouri. Go figure...The majority has us picked to finish 6 or higher.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

gmarv

It is gonna be glorious when your wrong.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: cityhog on October 27, 2017, 09:15:46 pm
maybe the last 21 years? Just a guess

The last 5 years hasn't been terrible. So you are saying that Mike Anderson is a bad head coach?  The 2 of the last 3 years was better than what we have seen in awhile.

HoopS

I wouldn't worry about his opinion anymore than the next poster. He's entitled to his prediction. He could be right. I'm guessing we are better than he expects.

mhuff

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on October 27, 2017, 10:52:14 pm
Give the guy a break. The last few years of football and most of 20 years of basketball can leave you thinking we're cursed lol. It's the life of a hog fan recently.

It can lead you to think we have had poor leadership all the way down the line. We should pay an AD for more than getting building projects completedb

Ironhawg

Quote from: jjdlc on October 27, 2017, 07:38:17 pm
And you come here why exactly?

To stir us up, get a reaction and be entertained.

HoopS

He has the right to post.

It surely does come off as an attempt to put a damper on those of us who are excited and I don't get that. But it's his opinion. Now you have to decide if his opinion means a damn. I like the poster. But this post of his sucked, imo. But I do respect hm anyway.

PonderinHog

cityhog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 28, 2017, 03:51:25 pm
The last 5 years hasn't been terrible. So you are saying that Mike Anderson is a bad head coach?  The 2 of the last 3 years was better than what we have seen in awhile.

Not bad. Just a little above average:

194 games, 125-69-0, 0.644 -|- Conf: 107 games, 61-46-0, 0.570

HiggiePiggy

It's progress.  We are talking about a program that has been mediocre for awhile.  We will be seeing the similar things with football soon if we keep a crappy coach for much longer.  At least in basketball we have a coach getting us out of being just mediocre and starting to move us to above average. 

redneckfriend

I wouldn't discount the pessimism. That is how things have gone recently. In order to break out this team will have to play as a team, find an identity, be tough and find someone who can take the clutch shot. A tall order-we'll see. Mike is recruiting better, hopefully he starts holding his team more accountable on the court. 

fakenews

Arkansas has the second best record in the SEC over the last three years.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: fakenews on October 31, 2017, 05:51:04 pm

Your right but other than Kentucky the whole league is a big national disappointment.

rude1

Quote from: fakenews on October 31, 2017, 05:51:04 pm
Is that really some bench mark for success or just an indication of how bad the conference is that we play in?

HoopS

Quote from: rude1 on October 31, 2017, 06:57:40 pm
Is that really some bench mark for success or just an indication of how bad the conference is that we play in?
it is just giving credit where it's due.

mhuff

Quote from: rude1 on October 31, 2017, 06:57:40 pm

Don't really believe what you just said. Let's see I thought SC and Ky went pretty far in NCAA tournament. Actually the conference  should be stronger this year than last.

oldbooniehog

I made the above prediction back in October, and got pretty much roasted for it.

Right now, Arkansas is losing at home against LSU by more than 20.

They are about to start SEC play 1-3.

If not for an incredible, furious comeback against Tennessee, they would have started 0-4 in conference.

Can somebody please tell me, at this point in the season, exactly how my October prediction is wrong? Other than the fact Hogs DID get ranked, but just long enough to blow it by immediately losing.

Hogs might prove me wrong by season's end. They might somehow miraculously win the SEC Tournament, or make a run deep into the Big Dance.

But at this point, it sure doesn't look like they will.

fakenews

you are definitely not wrong but you were not the only one predicting that either

3of5-2

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 10, 2018, 09:52:35 pm

I made the above prediction back in October, and got pretty much roasted for it.

Right now, Arkansas is losing at home against LSU by more than 20.

They are about to start SEC play 1-3.

If not for an incredible, furious comeback against Tennessee, they would have started 0-4 in conference.

Can somebody please tell me, at this point in the season, exactly how my October prediction is wrong? Other than the fact Hogs DID get ranked, but just long enough to blow it by immediately losing.

Hogs might prove me wrong by season's end. They might somehow miraculously win the SEC Tournament, or make a run deep into the Big Dance.

But at this point, it sure doesn't look like they will.
Everyone will know for sure in about 2 months. I will say this, so far, so true.

pigture perfect

You are a seer OBH. Do you read palms too?
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

oldbooniehog

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 13, 2018, 12:05:24 am
You are a seer OBH. Do you read palms too?

I am not a seer.

I do not read palms.

I've just paid attention to Arkansas basketball since about 1978.

I watched Eddie Sutton make it good, and Nolan Richardson make it great.

And then I watched the decline happen, staring with the last few seasons of the Nolan Richardson era.

I've seen enough of the Hogs with Mike Anderson to know what to expect, too.

hogfanny

Right now I would settle for a repeat of last years conference record and sec tourny result. If we do we will get a good seed in the ncaa and a chance to advance. However that is a tall order. Anderson needs to develop the younger players. we will see.