Go Cubs Go!!!!!

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

GrizzlyRider07

Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.
Don't Promise, Just Prove!

The_Iceman

I had a conversation yesterday with someone in the athletic department that made me feel like he may never be cleared to play. Sad story if so.

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 26, 2017, 07:06:47 am
I had a conversation yesterday with someone in the athletic department that made me feel like he may never be cleared to play. Sad story if so.

Well, that's not good for anybody. 

The_Iceman

I just think there is too much liability on the university at this point. If you clear him and God forbid something happens on the court, they will get sued for everything their worth.

jethro

If it is a condition that could result in permanent damage or death, the smart choice is to not play.  Life is more than the game on the court.
Registered in 2003.

Least post per day average on this board.

batmanfan

Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

mhuff

Not sure you can sign away a right if contested. Lawyer onboard

mhuff

Wondering if this has just come to light. I'm thinking you would have to have a physical to play AAU. You didn't need one in yesteryear , but now is now

Hawg Red

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on October 26, 2017, 09:02:11 am
Would there not be some sort of waiver that could be signed?

I don't see a university going that route. They'll honor the kid's scholarship but not clear him for his own safety.

mhuff

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 26, 2017, 11:12:53 am
I don't see a university going that route. They'll honor the kid's scholarship but not clear him for his own safety.

If they honor a scholarship under a medical hardship, Does it count toward our scholarship numbers.

widespreadsooie

This is the impression I've gotten from people connected with the program as well.

Swinesong1

Quote from: mhuff on October 26, 2017, 11:17:34 am
If they honor a scholarship under a medical hardship, Does it count toward our scholarship numbers.
No it doesn’t.  The medical exemption allows for school to be paid for and scholarship to be used for another signee. 

mhuff

Quote from: Swinesong1 on October 26, 2017, 11:27:43 am
No it doesn't.  The medical hardship waiver allows for school to be paid for and scholarship to be used for another signee. 

Thanks. Been awhile since we've dealt with this in BB. Isn't this the same condition that Pistol Pete had?

PorkRinds

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on October 26, 2017, 02:09:27 pm
Honestly can't believe this isn't a bigger story yet. Could have a pretty big impact on this class. And also next year after such a high turnover rate already

People are giving the kid and his family the privacy they deserve until an official decision is made.

Rirruto

Sucks for everyone involved. He's our second highest rated recruit/commit/underclassman behind Gafford.

He's going through drills and practice except for scrimmage though, right? If the coaches and legal were thinking he'd never be cleared, I can't believe they'd let him step foot on the court. I hope he gets a chance to play, but his health is the important thing.

rude1

I think you red shirt him if it's that late in the season before he is cleared. He will be so far behind in conditioning and adjusting to live action with his teammates I am not sure he would give you much.

HogFoo

He was posting on twitter pictures of his jersey's, home and away.  i forget exactly what he said, but it made me think that he had been cleared.  i was actually surprised when i signed on to not see a thread saying that he was finally cleared because it sure seemed to me, he was insinuating that he was.   hopefully does get cleared if he hasnt been yet.  hopefully we hear something soon about it.  sending prayers for this kid to live his dream! 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Hou-Hog

unless you make the decision up to the family and have them sign an indemnification clause

hogfooey

Quote from: HogFoo on October 27, 2017, 02:19:25 am
He was posting on twitter pictures of his jersey's, home and away.  i forget exactly what he said, but it made me think that he had been cleared.  i was actually surprised when i signed on to not see a thread saying that he was finally cleared because it sure seemed to me, he was insinuating that he was.   hopefully does get cleared if he hasnt been yet.  hopefully we hear something soon about it.  sending prayers for this kid to live his dream!
Those pics he posted are a pinned tweet from Sep 8
If the Hogs are wrong!  I don't want to be right!

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hou-Hog on October 27, 2017, 04:14:21 am
unless you make the decision up to the family and have them sign an indemnification clause

How often does that happen in major college athletics?

Letsroll1200

I think the Hogs should redshirt him this season. I don't take a chance with the health of a player. Garland loves the game and it's just an unfortunate circumstance. The kid has great parents and they will make the right decision about Garland going forward.