Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Renting College Textbooks

Started by redbarn, August 05, 2016, 01:02:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

redbarn

Just got through renting a book for the daughter.  First year they are using it.  To buy this book was around 230.00 and thats to be used for one semester.  To rent an e-book at text book brokers was 115.00 for one semester.  I rented the book on Amazon for one semester at a cost of 78.00.......Just thought I would pass this on as we have used Amazon before and saved money on the books.  Plus if you use Amazon the student gets Prime free of charge for 6 months.
"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell

HawgWild

Good info. That's a significant savings.

riccoar

I'll give you two more.  Amazon is good for sure.  Also try Chegg and CampusBookRentals.com.  I've used all three for my daughter.

Oklahawg

Movement at my college to provide open-source texts for general education classes. That reduces the price to near-zero. "Quality text materials for free" is not that hard to envision or make happen.

Glad you saved a big chunk of change. Tip your hat to any professor working to keep text costs at a minimum.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ATU HOG

I always waited a week or two to really see if I needed the book.  Not the brightest move on my part, but if I didn't have to buy the book I wasn't going to.  Don't buy from the university book stores either, they'll say "they are upgrading to a new book" each semester and won't buy back books for much.

Good luck to OP on buying books and to your daughter.  College was the best 7 years of my life.

Disclaimer:  Really only took me 4.5.  Been in the "real world" for a bout 2 years now.  I miss skipping my 8AM class, going to my 11AM, going to my part time job and then being done for the day!!

DeltaBoy

We did this year since they were 40% cheaper and we can returned them in Dec.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DeltaBoy

Going to buy some for the spring and rent some since Music books are consumables.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

oldfart

as you guys know im an old fart.. going back to community college for the hell  of it.. my fellow classmates call me obi-won kenobe. but i buy my texts thru amazon at about half the cost at the school bookstore...

East TN HAWG

Both my daughters typically rent. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: oldfart on January 02, 2017, 02:52:26 pm
as you guys know im an old fart.. going back to community college for the hell  of it.. my fellow classmates call me obi-won kenobe. but i buy my texts thru amazon at about half the cost at the school bookstore...

That what we did for the Spring Semester.  Found out her music books are used all 4 years so we bought them outrigth.

hogginbama

Did the Amazon rental thing for my son's last 3 semesters of school. Saved a bunch of money that I put towards a new pistol.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hogginbama on January 17, 2017, 10:52:08 pm
Did the Amazon rental thing for my son's last 3 semesters of school. Saved a bunch of money that I put towards a new pistol.

Good for you.

Hawgndaaz

the textbook guys around here are millionaires.

DeltaBoy

oldfart

All my years as a professor i never required a textbook.  if there was any "hard" materials the students needed i either provided or had a web  site they could visit.  I know not all classes are suitable for this, but many are if the professor makes even a half-hearted attempt to help out.

ricepig

Quote from: oldfart on February 16, 2017, 08:34:59 pm
All my years as a professor i never required a textbook.  if there was any "hard" materials the students needed i either provided or had a web  site they could visit.  I know not all classes are suitable for this, but many are if the professor makes even a half-hearted attempt to help out.
What if the internet hadn't been invented yet? Seriously, my kids book costs are less than mine were in the late 70's, of course, my tuition was $200?? in 1976 at the UofA.

rkjones

One of the biggest scams in our society is the textbook business.  I want to endorse the mention of Chegg.  I used it throughout college. 

The cheapest option, in my opinion, is to ask the professor or an upperclassmen to buy their books from them directly.  They'd get more from you than if they returned it to the store and you'd pay less than if you went to a store.  One semester in grad school my professor let me borrow their textbook (though admittedly this is a rare case). 

Start with your RA.  They should have some decent connections and would love to help out. 

oldfart

Quote from: ricepig on February 25, 2017, 07:35:46 am
What if the internet hadn't been invented yet? Seriously, my kids book costs are less than mine were in the late 70's, of course, my tuition was $200?? in 1976 at the UofA.

before the internet i provided copies.. granted my classes were not like the large 100-200 size more like 25-50.  i felt it something i could do for the kids...

DeltaBoy

You are a good Professor Oldfart!